Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +
Story Notes:

Takes place before "Snow Leave" with some events happening during "The Couch".




Author's Chapter Notes:

Rated T this chapter, M for sexuality in later chapters. Takes place before "Snow Leave" with some events happening during "The Couch".




Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


"Spock, would you please hold my camel while I straighten my skirt?" Nyota asked.

One dark eyebrow angled up in an amused slant. Spock, who had chosen to walk and observe New Vulcan's rural terrain and vegetation more closely, turned to her, his footsteps crunching lightly on the loose, reddish dirt. A light, warm breeze ruffled his hair and the sleeves of his tunic, made long for protection from the sun.

Aware of the scrutiny of the other Vulcans nearby, Spock quickly returned his face to its usual impassivity. His fingers deliberately brushed Nyota's as he took the camel's reins. Her skin prickled as she sensed his thoughts.

End of day, alone, roof garden. Water. Wash with cleansing herbs. Hold you close. Kiss. Then to our bed...but we shall not sleep.

The Dromedary camel, part of a large herd donated by a well-meaning, ambitious Earth diplomat, stopped fidgeting and stared down at Spock as though puzzled by the intensity of the way he looked at Nyota. Upon learning that Sarek had invited Spock and his human bondmate to make their first visit to New Vulcan as a couple, Sancis, one of the more sociable members of the New Vulcan Parliament suggested a morning camel ride and hike through the plains surrounding the capital city as an informative recreational activity.

Spock had visited New Vulcan several times previously, each time alone. With each visit he felt more mature, more like the man he'd already believed himself to be. He also craved Nyota's physical and mental closeness more with each visit. A few Vulcans continued to treat him with suspicious disdain for his human heritage and his involvement with Starfleet. Spock returned each time to the Enterprise carrying a mixed burden of worry and relief that he struggled to carry even while he pulled Nyota close to him, seeking acceptance and comfort.

"The countryside surrounding the capital city is very aesthetically pleasing," Spock said. "My previous visits here have kept me confined to meetings inside the parliamentary chambers. Although hope is an illogical concept, it is my desire that our first visit here together will be an agreeable one."

The area they traversed was surprisingly fertile, full of dark green, blue, and red plants, some treelike and others low to the ground. Birdlike creatures flew overhead or burrowed into hillsides. Gently rolling hills led to dramatic stony ridges in the distance. Somewhere ahead, a river flowed through a hidden valley.

"What is the cause of the delay?" a stern voice among the group on the path ahead of them inquired, sounding almost impatient.

"It seems difficult for that human to maintain a steady pace. She does not have the strength of a Vulcan woman," someone else murmured.

This handful of the surviving Vulcan elite - even among what was now a refugee community, class stratification persisted - seemed to forget that Nyota could hear and understand them. No one bothered to use one of the colloquial Vulcan dialects to conceal their words. Nyota's fluency in four of the five colloquial Vulcan dialects meant that she'd likely understand the veiled insult anyway, but it would have been polite of them to at least make an effort.

"The surviving members of the house of Slomare include two unmarried daughters. There are still some Vulcan women to be had." This last commentary was made in a voice low enough to escape the notice of Sarek, who was some distance ahead, but loud enough for the couple to hear.

Spock's eyes narrowed, a frown line creasing his forehead. The camel took a couple of steps away from him.

Nyota gave him a wry smile and shook her head. "As my parents always said, Wala kutoa maovu kwa maovu , wala madhara kwa kuumiza / do not render evil for evil, nor hurt for hurt," she said softly. Then she raised her voice and spoke loudly in Vulcan, using her clearest, most emotionless pronunciation.

"I request the favor of your patience while I adjust my clothing; it became disordered during the ride, and it impairs my ability to direct the camel. Please do not feel compelled to wait for me."

Nyota ducked behind the camel and out of view.


----------------------

Wala kutoa maovu kwa maovu , wala madhara kwa kuumiza (do not render evil for evil, nor hurt for hurt ) = Swahili translation, not precise. Romans 12:17, also 1 Peter 3:9. Because Nyota Uhura's character name (it is Swahili) biography suggests that her family of origin is in Eastern Africa, I'm writing her as someone who has had an Anglican church influence in her life. In our own times, the Anglican Communion experiences some its most notable growth outside the United Kingdom and North America; therefore, it doesn't seem unlikely that it will exist a few centuries from now.






Chapter End Notes:

 

Wala kutoa maovu kwa maovu , wala madhara kwa kuumiza (do not render evil for evil, nor hurt for hurt ) = Swahili translation, not precise. Romans 12:17, also 1 Peter 3:9. Because Nyota Uhura's character name (it is Swahili) biography suggests that her family of origin is in Eastern Africa, I'm writing her as someone who has had an Anglican church influence in her life. In our own times, the Anglican Communion experinces some its most notable growth outside the United Kingdom and North America; therefore, it doesn't seem unlikely that it will exist a few centuries from now.







Enter the security code shown below:
Note: You may submit either a rating or a review or both.

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.