Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Working her way back from the trauma of another kidnapping Evangeline tries to find a little 'peace'.




Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


Un-betaed

All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.

 

 

Someone I Used to Know 

 

Chapter 13    Peace

 

She does not ask me again to spend the night but she does allow me to visit with her after work and I continue to read to her.  We both know that she can read these books for herself but this is our quiet time together with no expectations and no pressures.  She tells me that she hasn’t asked me to stay the night again because she has to be comfortable alone again and does not want to use anyone as a crutch.  I know that she wants to be strong and I admire her for that.  Sometimes I bring dinner, sometimes she cooks, sometimes I bring things to cook and sometimes we cook together.  We don’t talk about what any of this means we just do it and don’t put any labels on it.

 

After two weeks she returns to work and dives right back into the hustle and bustle of the office and the courthouse.  She is a phenomenon.  Her clients are so supportive.  The judges admire her for her grit and determination, she asks for no special considerations and she gives her best for each and every client. The State Attorney’s office has offered her a regional position.  She will remain based in Llanview but with once a month trips to Harrisburg for meetings.  The local area wants her to run for the District Attorney’s position in opposition to Nora Buchanan. Evangeline refuses to run against Nora and seriously considers the State Attorney’s offer.  She would hate to lose her clients but this would give her more stability but less money but with not having to move and find housing in Harrisburg she might come out even.  In a way it would be similar to what John does at the LPD.  He works for both the FBI and the LPD and based in Llanview.  She would work for the State of Pennsylvania but be based in Llanview. They give her a week to decide and so she decides to have a meeting of concerned parties.

 

On Friday evening she waits for Todd, Layla, Nora, Antonio and Bo to arrive.  John is already here helping her with refreshments.  She has scheduled a group Skype video with her mother and Uncle Clay and Sarah A. and Ivan.  The folks from Llanview will gather around her computer and they will all discuss this job offer. She likes this to hear everyone’s thoughts on this because she values their opinions but they all know that it is her decision to make.  The Skype session begins and she describes the job to everyone and what it involves and requires of her, the pay, the benefits, the travel required and everything she can think of.  She asks them first for the cons and then the pros of accepting or rejecting the offer.  Everyone has his or her allotted time to talk.  Evangeline takes notes but John records it just in case she misses something. After forty-five minutes of conversation she thanks everyone for coming and participating and then she makes an announcement.

 

“I am glad that you all are here and have offered your thoughts on this new opportunity for me and you know that I love you all and value your opinions.  Although I am the only one who can decide I did want to hear what you all had to say.  I will consider everything that you have said.  Now allow me to discuss a completely different matter. Now that I have all of my dearest friends and family here at one time I would like to announce to you that John and I are getting married.  We haven’t decided a date yet but we want you to know that you all are invited.”

 

Everyone looks at her and no one more than John.  He is shocked.  She had never even hinted to him anything about this.  Although he is shocked he is also overjoyed and excited.  She will marry him and she just told everyone that so she must be sure.

 

“Now before you all bombard us with questions I must say in his defense that this is news to John too.  Months ago John told me that he wants to marry me but I never told him that I want that too. Now that everyone I love is here in this room, on my computer too but you’re still in this room, I want him to know that I want to marry him too.  So since we both want to get married then we’re getting married.  Mom, Layla, Nora, and Sarah I will call upon you to help with planning the wedding.  Uncle Clay, Todd, Ivan, Bo and Antonio you all support John in this scary journey and keep him calm.  I don’t want to wait long to get married so let us say that with the next three months John and Evangeline will become Mr. and Mrs. McBain. So what do you say everyone?”

 

And as one they all say, “Congratulations!”

 

“So before I ask you all to leave let’s take a vote on this job offer, all in favor say ‘aye’, all opposed say ‘nay’.  The ayes have it.  I will take the job and serve as the Assistant State Attorney based here in Llanview.  All right now you all can leave because I want to spend some alone time with my fiancée.”

 

Those on the Skype session signed off and the others cleaned up and left after giving hugs and handshakes to the newly engaged couple.  After everyone left John stood there in the living room just trying to get his bearings.  Had this just happened, did she really announce to everyone that we are getting married?

 

“Yes I did John.  I just announced to everyone that we are getting married.  Do you have something else to ask me?”

 

He looked at her puzzled and then he realized what she meant. He went to the closet to get his suit jacket and pulled the box out of his pocket.  He has carried it with him ever since she allowed him to spend time with her.  He remembered telling her in one of his letters that she would have to tell him when it was time to ask her and if this wasn’t the time he didn’t know when was. Standing in front of her he takes her hand, then kneels and says,

 

“Evangeline you are everything to me.  I love you so much. Will you marry me?”

 

“Yes John I will marry you.  I love you too.”

 

Standing he places the ring on her finger and kisses her.  They just hold on to each other for several minutes simply enjoying the moment.

 

“Why didn’t you tell me that you were ready?  Did you plan to say that in front of everybody?”

 

“No I really didn’t but it felt so right and once saying it in front of my family and friends it made it so real.  I love you John and I feel a peace about that.  I don’t have to explain to anyone why I love you it is enough that I love you and I own that love, I cherish that love and I will defend that love.  You are mine as I am yours.”

 

“Yes I am yours and you are mine.  So when do you want to get married?  You said within the next three months, well you have a new job for which to prepare and a wedding to plan that’s a lot.”

 

“Well the job won’t start until the new year so that’s after three months and it gives me time to close my office and help my clients find new attorneys.  My main focus of course will be this handsome man standing in front of me.  We have a bright future ahead of us John and I am excited about it.”

 

“So am I Evangeline.  Soon we can look for a house where we can live and start our family.  Are you too tired to look at some houses online?”

 

“No I love looking at houses now I look with a purpose.  It will be fun.”

 

So they spend the rest of the evening viewing houses online and making notes of the things that they want in a house and the area where they want to live.  They have come a long way from when they first met in Angel Square Park.  They have both changed since then.  If you asked them about the persons that they were then as compared to the persons that they are now they would both say that they are ‘someone they used to know’ and they like so much better the persons that they are now.

 

 






Chapter End Notes:

Say what you will about these two but they seem to find a space within space that just belongs to them.







Enter the security code shown below:
Note: You may submit either a rating or a review or both.

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.