Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Agent Baxter pleads his case and we await the verdict.




Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


Un-betaed

All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.

 

 

Someone I Used to Know

 

 

Chapter 7 I’m Not Ready

 

 

Another busy day in the office and at court is preventing me from thinking about the dinner tonight with Agent Baxter.  Although Layla will also be there it will be interesting to see how he handles things tonight.  If he is the agent who told John that he would pursue me he was being very presumptive that I would even be interested in him.  Going to the ballet or opera together does not mean that we are compatible.  Should I give him a chance, I don’t know yet?  I don’t know him and he’s only here for a short time so I have no idea what he expects to accomplish in that short of a time.  It is definitely not love at first sight.  I don’t have those feelings for him.  Like I said, I don’t know him and it will take a lot of time for me to feel comfortable with any man.  I really just want to be left alone to just be myself.  Maybe at another time I might have given him a chance but right now neither my head nor my heart is in to letting anyone close.  He’s probably a really nice guy but his timing could not be worse.  Now that I think about it though, why would he come all the way here to pursue or court me and he doesn’t even know me short of reading a file and seeing a photo.  What am I supposed to do just swoon because he’s interested in me?  I don’t think so.  In fact I know that will not happen.  The more that I think about it the more irritated I’m getting. 

 

-He read a file and saw a photo of me and told John that he would pursue me if he could.

 

-He worked on the OPP case with John.  So if he read my file then he probably read that John and I were together at one time.  How dare he say that to John knowing that John had history with me!  John sounded hurt in his letter when he described that conversation.

 

-He comes to Llanview on vacation for the expressed purpose of pursuing me.  Why?  I am sure that I’m not that fabulous that someone would come to a town that they really don’t know just to date someone.  And why would he assume that I would be interested in him?

 

-He asks Layla and I to dinner.  Okay we do have to eat but what does he plan after that?

 

-So because I was attacked, in a coma, recovered from the coma he now comes to town to pursue me.  Doesn’t he think that I’ve been through enough?

 

Well let me finish this work and head home to prepare for this dinner date.  Let me not assume anything and just wait and see what transpires.

 

Layla meets me at the entrance to the Palace restaurant and pulls me to the side,

 

“So that you’re not blindsided, Agent Baxter is interested in you.  I talked with him yesterday after you left.  He worked with John on solving the OPP case and was very impressed with you from reading your file and seeing your photo.  He said that you are a remarkable woman and he wants a remarkable woman in his life right now.  I also told him that I would not offer him any assistance nor would I hinder him in pursuing you.”

“Layla thank you for telling me this before he arrives.  You did have all day you know to call but I’ll take what I can get.  I’m not ready to get involved with anyone.  And don’t you think that it is very presumptive of him to think that I would be interested in him simply because he is interested in me.  It takes more than that to make a worthwhile relationship.  This is all based upon what he wants already.  He wants me so he comes to town to get me.  I don’t know this man.  Why would he think that simply because he worked on the OPP case that I would be interested in him.  He was doing his job.  He’s here for what a week or maybe two what does he expect to happen, that I would fall head over heels in love with him?  That’s not going to happen.  It seems very arrogant of him to even think that a woman will just ‘roll over’ or ‘fall over’ for him just because he’s interested in her.  I don’t have time or the patience for such arrogance.  He may have thought that it was a gallant gesture but really I don’t.”

 

“Now that you put it like that I understand what you mean.  I will support you whatever you want to do Evangeline.  It is your decision but at some point you need to get back in the game of dating or something.  Have you changed your mind about marriage?”

 

“Yes I have Layla and I don’t have time for dalliances.  My future husband is out there somewhere and we will meet when the time is right.  I don’t see Agent Baxter as the one.”

 

“Shh, he’s here.  Hello Agent Baxter our table is ready.”

 

“Good evening ladies.  Now am I allowed to call you by your first name as you are both Ms. Williamson?”

 

“Yes you may.  I am Layla and this is Evangeline.  Let’s order because I am starving.”

 

We order our meals and talk during dinner about general things and nothing in particular.  Before dessert arrives Layla excuses herself with some lame excuse about having an early day tomorrow and needing to retire early.  She leaves us alone at the table.

 

“Evangeline I’m glad to have this time with you.  When I worked on the One Pure People case I was very impressed with what I learned about you and wanted to meet you.  I’m so glad that you recovered and I made up in my mind that when you did that I would return to Llanview and try to get to know you.  I know that two weeks is not enough time to get to know someone but I would still like to at least make a start.  You don’t know me I realize that but you can ask me anything and I will answer and I would like to spend as much time with you while I am here.”

 

“Mr. Baxter why would you assume that I would want to get to know you?  You reached that conclusion by reading my file and seeing my photo?  This sounds more like what you want than what you think I might want.  It sounds very arrogant.  You probably did not consider it as arrogance on your part.  What about me makes you want to pursue me?”

 

“No I did not think it arrogant on my part.  I read your file about the women’s shelter, how you fought for your clients Mr. Vega and Mr. Manning and how that hate group assaulted you.  You are a remarkable woman Ms. Williamson and I want a remarkable woman in my life now.”

 

“Thank you for the compliment Mr. Baxter and I agree that I am a remarkable woman but so are a lot of women.  Two weeks is not much time to get to know someone.  I work every day and in my evenings I really just like to wind down from my day.  I have been through quite an ordeal and I am not ready to get involved with anyone.  Maybe in a few months or a year but not now and before you ask if you can come back then, don’t.  You seem like a nice man Mr. Baxter but you assumed too much in this case and plus you made this trip all about what you wanted to happen.  You knew that I was in a coma and had months of rehabilitation.  Did you consider that I am still healing from my ordeal?  I don’t think you did.  You only thought about what you wanted to happen. Thank you for dinner Mr. Baxter and enjoy your stay in Llanview.”

 

 

With that parting line I leave and head home.  Maybe I will have some ice cream since I didn’t eat my dessert.  I lost my appetite while talking to Mr. Baxter.     






Chapter End Notes:

Should we continue or do we leave the story here?







Enter the security code shown below:
Note: You may submit either a rating or a review or both.

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.