Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Now who of us does not enjoy a good picnic? 




Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


Un-betaed

All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.

 

 

Days in the Lives of Jethro Gibbs and Family

 

 

(Well I guess it is not the end of the “Days in the Lives” stories.  Instead of doing a few short single tales it seems more efficient to add them to this list.  So once again, sit back relax, have a cuppa and enjoy the read.)

 

 

Chapter 19    A ride in the park

 

This bright sunny Saturday morning greets us as we make our way to the park for a bicycle ride.  Jethro’s old truck finally gasped its last and he invested in a new double cab version.  That way we have more room to haul our things up to the cabin and the children can comfortably sit in the second row.  Jethro actually didn’t want to let go of the old truck.  He said that he had it for years and it worked. Well it stopped working and we had to get rid of it.  But I can’t blame him though about being attached to his truck.  I probably would feel the same if I had to get rid of my ’66 Mustang, which I won’t ever do, even though I did buy a larger SUV for more room to carry all of the twins’ sports paraphernalia around for soccer, swimming, golf, karate and gymnastics or whatever else they decide that they want to do.  Jethro and I don’t try to fill up ever moment of their life with activities though because we want them to also be ‘just kids’.  All of these activities they chose to do except for the swimming, which my mother loves to do, and the twins just love spending time with their grandma and all children need to know how to swim.

 

This morning we are going to the park.  That gives us the space to ride without having to avoid traffic. I even packed a picnic lunch because Richard and Nicole are known to want to eat after they have some strenuous activity.  Their little bodies seem to have a fast metabolism because they are forever on the move.  The only time our sweethearts aren’t moving is when they are asleep but sometimes not even then.  Try sleeping with either of them and they move around the bed like they are looking for something.  They pull covers from you and almost crawl up your back trying to steal your heat.  But I love it.  When they were babies I used to call them my little ‘cuddly bears’ and/or my ‘honey bunny babies’.  Now they cringe if I say such things.  Ah, my babies are growing up.

 

This morning Richard and Nicole are carrying on a conversation with Jethro and everything is in Russian.  He gets such a kick out of talking with them and now they actually steer the conversation to the topic to discuss money and jobs.  They ask when can they get jobs so that they can earn money to buy things that they want.  Jethro asks them what do they want that they need money. Richard responds that he wants a game that we won’t buy for him because it portrays gratuitous violence and Nicole wants a dress, that is too provocative for even me to wear and she’s only six years old.  They think that they are missing out on the fun when they see other children wearing or playing such games and they don’t have the same things.  This is a splendid time for a life lesson and Jethro is ready to teach it.  I sit and listen to as he explains that not all things that people do are appropriate and they will learn to choose what is appropriate for them and we, as their parents will help them in their choices.  It’s not enough to want something just because someone else has that thing.  Think about what benefit is there for having that thing.  He tells them to remember what they are taught at home and by the people who love them.  It may seem hard to do when you are little but each day will get better because you will learn new things every day and will have fun with things that are right for you.  Now as to earning morning if they are serious about that then we can talk about chores that they can do to earn money.  Richard answers that he can rake the yard when the leaves fall and Nicole says that she can help fold the laundry.  Jethro and I look at each other because we know that we will still have to go after them and ‘really’ rake the leaves and ‘really fold’ laundry but at least they understand what ‘chores’ are.  Jethro ends the conversation and agrees to create a list of chores that they can choose to do and we will give them an allowance for doing them that they can spend on whatever they choose as long as we all agree on it.

 

We arrive at the park and unload the bicycles and helmets from the truck bed.  The park has a three-mile loop around and this morning it is not too crowded.  Once everyone has his or her bicycle and helmets secured we begin our ride.  Richard and Nicole ride in front and Jethro and I ride behind them. This is so much fun.  The twins love riding their bikes and love to go fast but they remain safe bicyclists.  They never go too far ahead that we can’t see them or they can’t see us.  Safety is paramount. The park has a pond and where there is a pond there are ducks.  Of course Nicole has to stop at least once to look at the ducks.  After that she and Richard are off again racing to the next interesting section of the park.  After at least two loops around we set up at a pavilion not far from the parking area and I get the picnic basket from the truck while Jethro helps the kids park their bikes.  Of course I have soap and water to wash our hands and paper towels to dry them. We spread a paper tablecloth and set out the food.  We sit and eat and chat and just enjoy being together.  I so enjoy spending time like this with Jethro, Richard and Nicole, as a family.  When I look at us I can’t help but smile.  This is my life and I am so blessed to have it.






Chapter End Notes:

Good to see the family again and looking forward to more stories.







Enter the security code shown below:
Note: You may submit either a rating or a review or both.

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.