Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


Un-betaed

All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.

 

 

 

Days in the Lives of Jethro Gibbs and Family

 

 

Chapter 36 Cabin in the woods

 

Extra tools

Extra blankets and cots

Extra lanterns

Cleaning supplies

Fishing poles and accessories

Hunting rifles

Food and beverages

 

Tobias looks at the back of Jethro’s truck and wonders if maybe he packed too much.  

 

“Jethro we’re only up there for the weekend, right?  You’re not moving up there.”

 

Looking at his list again Jethro adds another item to it.  

 

“No Tobias I’m not moving up there but we have a lot to do in two days and we can’t just ‘run down to the general store’ if we forget to bring something that we need.”

 

Hearing that Tobias moves from the back of the truck and walks to stand next to Jethro who is at the front of the truck because he saw Jethro write something else on the list.

 

“You do have a point Jethro.  Your cabin in the woods is close to nothing.  Okay what can I do to help so that we can get on the road?  Everybody else will meet us there right?”

 

“Tobias you’re the one who set up all of this so you tell me the plan,” Jethro laughs.

 

Looking abashed Tobias smiles and tilts his head as he answers, “Oh yes that’s right I did.  The other guys will meet us there.  I gave everyone exact directions.  So do you have everything on your list and if so let’s go?”

 

(Later at the cabin)

 

When Jethro and Tobias arrive they find McGee, Palmer, Torres and Reeves already there.  McGee already knew how to get there so the other guys just caught a ride with him.  They were all dressed in jeans, sweatshirts, boots, and hats and had their work gloves hanging from their belts.

 

“Hey guys.  Have you been here long?” Tobias asks since he orchestrated this trip.

 

Speaking for the group McGee says, “No more than fifteen minutes.  I walked the guys around the cabin while we waited.”  Thinking that they can now unload the car they head to the trunk to get their bags but Jethro tells them that they need to clean the cabin before they bring in their bags otherwise the bags will be in the way when they need to sweep.

 

As Jethro moves to unlock the door up drives Leon and John McBain in separate cars.  John is the husband of one of the ladies in Margie’s ‘ladies night out’ group.  He works for the FBI.

 

Tobias set up all of this as a way to: 1) spend time with Jethro; 2) help Jethro spruce up the cabin; 3) have the other guys there to help and use it as a bonding time; 4) show the younger ones that ‘roughing it’ is good; and 5) grow after all that has happened to all of them this past year.  He thought that this time would do them all good just to do something different but together.

 

After cleaning the cabin they move in their bags, the cots and other things.  As the day progresses they each find their niche.  Jethro, Tobias and Leon work on installing the new outdoor restroom.  At one point Torres, Reeves and McBain battle it out as to who has the best technique for chopping wood.  Why do men make a competition out of everything?  McGee and Palmer rakes leaves onto a tarp and drag them into the woods.

 

After a short break for water and snacks they all return to complete their assignments.  By dinnertime everyone gathers in the cabin.  The cots are set and the men sit around the fireplace eating beans, dried meat and crackers and drowning it all with beer.  They didn’t even mind the meal for with good company you can ignore things like that.

 

After dinner a dip in the nearby stream washes away the sweat and grime of the day and everyone is ready for a night of rest.  Tomorrow is for fishing and hunting.

 

Late Sunday afternoon comes too soon for them all.  None of them expected to enjoy themselves as much as they did.  It felt good.  Packing their vehicles they go their separate ways.  Tobias drives back with Jethro because he left his car parked in front of Jethro’s house.

 

“Tobias thank you for organizing this.  We got a lot done and it was good to share some relaxing time with everyone.”

 

“You’re welcome Jethro.  I had a good time too.”

 

All of these men work dangerous jobs, even Palmer for who knows what pathogens he encounters in autopsy?  Taking time to relax is essential to staying grounded.

 

 

The End.












Enter the security code shown below:
Note: You may submit either a rating or a review or both.

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.