Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Carpentry 101 and the twins ask questions.




Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


Un-betaed

All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.

 

 

Days in the Lives of Jethro Gibbs and Family

 

(This episode references a scene from Chapter 6 of the story titled, Past, Present and Future another NCIS story and a scene from the story titled An/The Interlude another NCIS story.  The time capsule info comes from the NCIS episode season 5, episode 7, titled “Requiem”)

 

 

Chapter 7    What’s in a Name?

 

Can you believe that Richard and Nicole are already three years old? Well I do need to clarify that, they are three going on twenty-three because they can now readily speak their minds.  Not to say that they are ever disrespectful but they can clearly explain when they don’t want to do something but a stern look from Margie or me and they quickly do whatever they are told to do.  It’s not like we run a military boot camp or anything, we do allow them to be children but we train them to respect their elders and still allow them to be children.  No sassy talking allowed in the Gibbs house although we do hear them talking to each other about the other children in the playground and how they talk.  They do notice the difference between what they can do and what other children are allowed to do but funny enough they like their house better.  With great work comes great reward and they appreciate that we and their grandparents show them love and care and attend to their every need even though they don’t always get what they want they always get what they need.

 

So here I am downstairs in my workshop with Richard and Nicole because they want to help me work on the toys for the Christmas party at the community center.  Each year I build toys to give to the children who have experienced some loss in their life during the year and Richard and Nicole ask if they could help me work on the toys. They say that it is good to help others who need a little help and instead of donating their own toys to the effort they want to help me make something new for the children, something that no one else has played with before now.  How my chest puffs up with pride hearing that come from my three year olds.  Some grown ups don’t even show such compassion.

 

Our routine whenever they come down to the workshop works because there are some dangerous tools down here and they know which ones they can touch and which ones they can’t touch.  Early on I taught them about the tools and what I do with them and which ones are off limits to them.  The power tools of course and I explain why.  The power tools require electricity and you have to have a strong arm to handle them and at their age they are not yet ready for that responsibility.  Richard quickly interjected that when he gets older then he too can work the power tools and I agree with him with the caveat that an adult will always have to be present until Margie and I are comfortable that he can handle them alone.  Nicole resolves herself to using the hand tools because she says they require more skills and she wants that instead of the power tools.  She is a girl after my own heart.  

 

Soon after Margie moved in, after our wedding, we did some renovation on the house by adding on to the back of the house to enlarge the upstairs master suite and bedrooms and downstairs to enlarge the kitchen, reposition the laundry room and to add a three-quarter bath across from the landing that leads to the basement.  The garden in the backyard remains intact and we rearranged the landscaping in the back to accommodate the addition, making sure to not disturb the place where Kelly hid her time capsule.  Margie knows how important that is to me and she made certain that the landscapers cordoned off that area so no mistakes would occur. Everything looks beautiful and we have had many cookouts back there and the children love to have picnics in the garden area.  Here in the workshop we installed a dust collection system which reduces the dust in the workshop and something that I should have done years ago but glad that we now have especially for the children.

 

Richard and Nicole know all about the essential tools for carpentry work: the hammer, squares, levels, tape measure, sand paper, knife, saw, chisels, drills and sharpeners.  I did point out to them the tool that Margie gave to me for our first wedding anniversary, the solid compound miter saw, which she calls the ‘DS2010’.  When I told them about the equipment piece they asked why did their mother call it DS2010 and I explained to them that it was her way of remembering it instead of calling it a miter saw because she said DS to stand for downstairs and 2010 to stand for I have more than 2000 items in my workshop.  Wide eyed they asked if I really have more than 2000 items in my shop because for them 2000 is a big number and I tell them that even though I have never counted the number of items in my workshop I am sure that I have well over 2000 items with the nails, screws, washers, and all.  They agreed and we start our work for this evening.  I usually tell them which tool I want and then they identify it and hand it to me.  After a while I give them a piece of wood on which to work and we all three have something to do.  

 

Ever so often I notice them looking at my plaque and they smile. They tell me that they remember when I gave everyone a plaque and each time they come to the workshop they look at the plaque and have me to read the words on it to them:  ‘Proverbs 20:7 – The righteous man walks in integrity. His children are blessed after him.’ Each time they ask me what does it mean and each time I tell them that as their father I should lead an honest life that pleases the Lord and then my children will see how I live and will also lead and honest life that pleases their Lord.  It’s hard to tell if they understand but they smile and then continue on with their work.  Just as I finish telling them that I notice movement at the top of their stairs and see Margie looking down at us.  She smiles and nods her head and I smile back and then continue with my work. 

 

An hour later Margie calls us up for dinner and we stop at the bathroom across from the basement landing and wash up.  We sit at the dining room table and enjoy our dinner. Just before dessert Nicole tells Margie about what I said about my plaque and Margie agreed and added, 

 

“Nicole and Richard you are young now but you know how important it is to behave and do what is right.  You know for yourselves sometimes you don’t always do what your father and I tell you and we understand that you are young and still learning but when you get older we want you to do what is right.  When you are not sure what the right thing to do is please come to us and we will try to help you and if we can’t help you we will try to find someone who can.  You are so important to us and we want what is best for you.  We love you and we are proud of you.  Do you understand?”

 

“Yes Mommy and we want to be good too because we are Gibbs and that is a good name. Mommy and Daddy you told us before but tell us again why did you name us Richard and Nicole?”  Richard asks. Of the two he usually serves as the spokesperson.  He always shields his younger sister, younger by 3 minutes.  I look at Margie and she nods for me to answer that question.

 

“Richard Joseph Gibbs, your first name Richard means ‘brave ruler’ and your middle name Joseph means ‘God shall add’.  With your name we say to the world that our little boy is strong and God is with him.  Nicole Meredith Gibbs, your first name means ‘victorious people’ and you middle name means ‘joyful’.  With your name we say to the world that our little girl will bring victory to whatever challenge she faces and joy to whomever she meets.”

 

“Daddy what does your name mean and mommy’s name mean?”  Nicole now asks.

 

“My name Leroy Jethro Gibbs, I am really named after the best friend of my father but my first name means ‘the king’ and my middle name means ‘surpassing all others’ so really my name means that I should set a good example for others to follow. I have not always succeeded in doing that but I try to do better every day.  Now your mommy’s first name Alexis means ‘protector of man’ and her middle name Marjorie means ‘child of light’ so her name means that she works to protect man and bring light to the darkness that we may encounter. And I must say that for me she has brought so much light to my life.”

 

“Daddy why did you need mommy to bring light why didn’t you just turn on the lamp? Did mommy bring you a lamp?”

 

“It’s not that kind of light Nicole.  Remember when you get afraid when it thunders really hard and even though mommy and I turn on the light in your room that you are still afraid and you ask us to stay with you?”

 

“Yes.”

 

“So when we stay with you don’t you feel better?”

 

“Yes I do daddy.”

 

“Well that’s what mommy does for me too.  I’m not afraid of thunderstorms like you but sometimes I am sad and mommy makes me not sad just by being with me.”

 

“She does that for me too daddy.”  Richard chimes in.

 

So you see there is so much to a name and that is why I try to be good and brave and take care of my family, a man of integrity. Now it is time for a bath and bed for these two. The twins race up the stairs and to their rooms and as I stand to leave Margie grabs my hand and kisses my cheek.

 

“You are a good man my love and I am so proud to have you as the father our children.”

 

“I try Margie, I really do try.  But I have you to help me so I can’t help but succeed and God always undergirds me so it is a win win situation.  Let me go before they try to run their own bath water.”

 

Another quiet night in the Gibbs household and I feel so blessed. I have the best wife in the world and the best children.












Enter the security code shown below:
Note: You may submit either a rating or a review or both.

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.