Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Will Evangeline and John get a second chance at love?




Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


Un-betaed

All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.

 

 

The JOVAN Saga – A Collection of One-Shots

 

 

Chapter 10    Come Let Us Sit and Talk

 

 

Bo meets me in the lobby once I arrive back at the station after he calls me to come in to talk with him.  We walk to his office and he tells me that the OPP have attacked again this time carbon monoxide poisoning at Christian Vega’s studio.  When the police arrived they found Lindsay Rappaport unconscious on the floor and the studio door sealed from the outside. Upon breaking in they found Evangeline, Nora, Officer Sahid and Vega all unconscious on the floor.  Pulling them out the EMT administers oxygen and they revive but then Evangeline’s heart stopped and CPR was administered.  They took everyone to the hospital.  Bo says that Evangeline has not regained consciousness.  He instructs me to go to the hospital and interview everyone.  As I depart I tell Bo that if Evangeline doesn’t survive that I will hunt down the culprits and kill them myself.  Oh big words from me now when I haven’t even talked to her in weeks.  We shall see just how vigorous I pursue this matter.

 

Arriving at the hospital I see Officer Sahid and consult with her on what happened.  Once I finish taking notes I ask her if she thinks that the doctor will allow me to see Evangeline.  She asks if Evangeline and I were close and I tell her that we still are. McBain you are such a liar. How do you define ‘close’? You haven’t been there for her. You don’t check up on her on a regular basis.  You two are not ‘close’.  

 

Bo arrives and I see the doctor exit Evangeline’s room and we both rush up to ask the doctor about Evangeline.  The doctor says that Evangeline is not doing well.  The doctor then moves off to check on the other victims.  I remain at Evangeline’s door looking it.  She lies on the bed motionless while her sister Layla and Christian Vega stand near her.  I don’t move from the doorway.  What do I say to them, what do I say to her?  Layla comes out of the room and tells me that she needs to call their mother and that she needs Evangeline to wake up.  I hug Layla to me to comfort her all the while thinking that I too need Evangeline to wake up.  

 

While the doctor and Bo talk to the other victims, including Christian, and Layla goes off to call her mother I go in to Evangeline’s room. This time I sit on the chair next to her bed and just look at her.  She looks like she is asleep but she’s not, she’s in a coma.  I take her hand in mind and start talking to her. I tell her all the things that I regret that happened between us: my inability to articulate just how I feel about her; the lack of understanding on my part of just how my friendship with Natalie impacted my relationship with her; the pain that she endured because she was involved with me; and my final betrayal of moving on to Natalie without telling her.  I don’t know why I am saying all of this because she knows and I have told her before how sorry I am.  If she were conscious she would probably say to me, ‘Yes John you are sorry, a sorry piece of c***,’ and she would be right. I tell her that I miss her, that I do, and that when she recovers we will be friends.  I’ve made a mess of everything, my relationship with her and with Natalie.  I should have just left both of them alone until I got myself together but I didn’t and both of them are the worse for it.  What I felt for Evangeline was so real and I wanted it to continue but she broke it off with me.  I wanted us together and we still would be if I had any say in it.  “Evangeline you have to survive so that we can have our ‘do over’.  We deserve a second chance to get it right.” 

 

Suddenly the monitors start beeping and lights start flashing. The nurses and doctor rush in the move me out of the way.  They start working on Evangeline.  I don’t know what’s happening.  Maybe she’s regaining consciousness.  Then I hear, CODE BLUE”.  That is not good.  The nurse asks that I leave the room and I do.  Walking outside her room I find everyone standing there wondering why the doctors and nurses rushed into Evangeline’s room.  I tell them that she was doing anything and I was just holding her hand and talking to her.  They ask if I said anything that might have upset her and I tell them that I did not.  Layla returns and asks why everyone is huddled outside Evangeline’s door, did something else happen to her sister but before Nora can answer the doctor walks out and stands before us.

 

“I am sorry but she didn’t make it.  Her heart stopped and we could not revive her.  She is gone.”

 

Layla and Nora cling to each other and cry.  Layla cries for the loss of her sister and Nora for the loss of her best friend.  Standing there in shock I turn from them to wipe away a tear.  I can’t believe that she’s gone.  We will never have our second chance now. I waited too late.

 

Things now happen in a flurry and before I know it Evangeline’s family has her body moved to Maryland for the funeral and burial but Mrs. Williamson does approve of our having a memorial service here in Llanview. Nora, Christian and Todd attend the funeral in Maryland and return to also attend the memorial service in Llanview.  Nora and Todd organize the memorial service and it is packed with those who worked with Evangeline and people from the community.  She touched many lives during her time in Llanview.  After Nora and Todd say their part they open it up for thoughts or comments from those present.  Antonio stood to talk about his times with Evangeline. Staff from her office talked about how great of a boss she was.  Judges from court expressed their admiration for her knowledge of the law and police officers told of how she always showed them respect.  I sit in the back listening to all of them. Asking for any final words Todd begins to close the service.  Not able to hold myself still any longer I stand and walk to the front.

 

“I loved her, I love her and I will love her until the day that I die.”

 

THE END






Chapter End Notes:

Don't forget to leave a review.  Thnx for reading.







Enter the security code shown below:
Note: You may submit either a rating or a review or both.

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.