Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Just a reminder that all of the stories in this collection are based upon actual scenes from the show BUT with some embellishments added by this writer. ENJOY!




Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


Un-betaed

All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.

 

The JOVAN Saga – A Collection of One-Shots

 

 

 

Chapter 11    Not Like Before

 

 

Months have passed since the attack at Christian Vega’s study by the One Pure People in which several people were injured and Evangeline lapsed into a coma.  All of those responsible for the attack were apprehended, readily tried, convicted and sentenced. Since this was a hate crime it became a federal offense and all those convicted will serve many years in prison.

 

Llanview residents return to their humdrum lives and it appears that things return to normal after the horrific events of the last few months. But things are not always as they appear.  I do recover from the coma but my life is not like it was before.  Maybe it’s something about almost dying that changes you and believe me when I say that I have changed.  No longer do I ‘suffer fools kindly’ or have patience with rude and inconsiderate people.  

 

No longer satisfied with being second fiddle to Nora in the District Attorney’s office I return to private practice and my client base has increased but returning to my law practice takes more of an effort this time than it did after my blindness.  This time around I now only handle cases that provide me a challenge. Previously my cases bordered on the mundane but now my cases allow me to fully demonstrate my prowess both in and out of the courtroom.  The courses that I have completed lately have allowed me to improve my credentials and I have also been offered the opportunity to teach some classes at the local community college, when time allows of course, and that way I might shape a new generation of lawyers. 

 

Another change involves my reluctance to let anyone get close to me, that is, knowing what I am thinking or what my plans may be.  I keep myself to myself.  Not even my sister Layla is allowed into my inner sanctum.  Nora and Layla have commented on this change but do not press the matter.  By the time of my recovery Todd has returned from his search for his son by Margaret Cochran and I assist him in gaining custody of Sam.  Todd understands this change in me.  He knows firsthand what a brush with death will do to you.  He supports me in whatever I want to do and I appreciate that from him.

 

Taking a little time out to relax I head to Roadie’s for a burger, fries and a beer.  Walking in I hear the music from the jukebox and find a table.  Placing my order I sit back and enjoy the ambiance.  While waiting for my order I look around and see John and Natalie at another table.  Her back is to me and he’s facing in my direction. Smirking I get up and go to the jukebox and select a song and return to my table.  My order arrives and I start eating.  Concentrating on my food I am enjoying myself until the song that I chose starts playing on the jukebox and then I look up and see John looking directly at me.  I smirk and return to my food.  The words of the song waft through the air, “All in love is fair”.  Finishing my food, I pay the bill and leave for my car.  Before I make it to my car I hear someone call my name, ‘Evangeline’.  I knew that he would follow me after hearing that song. 

 

“Evangeline how are you?  It’s good to see you out and about.”

 

I don’t respond to his inquiry and just stand there while he talks.

 

“About the song, I remember the first time that I heard it you sang it to me.  What was it this time, are you trying to say something to me?”

 

Still I do not respond to him and continue to stare at him while he talks.

 

“Aren’t you going to say anything?”

 

At that I open my car door, get in my car, close the door and drive away.

 

John wonders to himself what that was about but then goes back inside Roadie’s.

 

“John why did you run out of here like that?  Did you go after Evangeline, why would you do that and leave me here by myself? Do you still want her John after all of these years?  Is that why you can’t commit to me?”

 

“Natalie I’m here with you what more do you want from me?”

 

Not wanting to get in an argument with John Natalie starts talking about something else.  John is relieved because he does not want to talk about Evangeline with Natalie.  He still can’t figure out what just happened.

 

---------------------------------------  

 

I make it back to my apartment and prepare for bed.  After a nice hot shower I relax in my bed. I think about the encounter with John and have to smile.  How wonderful it feels to have control again of myself.  No longer do I try to figure out what is happening with him or anyone else.  Now everybody is trying to figure out what’s happening with me.  Good let’s keep them on their toes.  I don’t do this purposefully but things just happen.  Definitely not like before when I was always taking the high road.  Now if you come in my face you will not like the outcome. 

 

The next day finds me at the police station to get information on one of my cases.  While in the building I decide to stop by to talk with Commissioner Buchanan.  As I walk to his office Natalie yells after me, and I do mean yell.  Seeing other officers present I think to myself oh here we go.  She approaches me and asks about what happened last night.  Just as I did with John I do not respond to her.  Turning to continue on my way to Bo’s office she grabs my arm.  Looking at her hand on my arm, then at the officers standing there, I say loud enough for everyone to hear me,

 

“Mrs. Vega remove you hand from by body or I may bring assault charges against you.”

 

“You wouldn’t do that, you never did before?”

 

When she said that I turn to the officer and say,

 

“Officer I want to press assault charges againstMrs. Vega and as you have witnessed she has confessed that she has done this before so I want to add battery charges.  Now if you will assist Mrs. Vega in removing her hand from my person I would appreciate it.  Once you have the paperwork for my signature I will wait for you to arrest her on those charges.”

 

Just as the officer moves to remove Natalie’s hand from my arm Natalie raises her other hand to slap me but before she can make contact I give her a left hook to the jaw and knock her out.

 

“Officer I will ask you to write a witness statement that I hit Mrs. Vega in self defense. The other officers here can sign as witnesses.  The clerk can notarize the statement.  You might have someone to give Mrs. Vega some medical attention but I am sure she will survive.”

 

Hearing the commotion Bo rushes out of his office and asks what happened.  The officers give him a play-by-play account of what happened.  Bo apologizes to me for his niece’s behavior and assures me that he will personally handle the job related reprimand that will be issued. He asks if I still want to press charges against Natalie and I tell him that the charges will stand.  The officers tend to Natalie and she comes to and tries to explain what happened.  When the witnesses refuted her account of what happened, she was arrested and taken to a holding cell.  Not wanting to waste any more time here I delay my meeting with the Commissioner and return to my office.

 

As they say good news spread fast but bad news spreads like a wildfire.  Before I make it to my office door I hear people talking about the ‘knock down at the station’. Not wanting to spur any more talk on the subject I ask my receptionist to hold my calls.  An hour later I have calmed down and allowed calls and the first person to call me is my friend Todd.

 

“Evangeline why didn’t you tell me I would have bought tickets to see that?  Now that’s something that I would have done. You are my hero!”

 

“Todd she is your niece.  Where is your loyalty?”

 

“With you, always with you.  Are you okay? The old Evangeline would never have done anything like that.  I like the new you.”

 

“Todd we both know and you better than anyone know that a lot has changed and some of the things that I might have allowed before I will not allow now.  Others thought that they could simply dismiss me as inconsequential well I’m here to put everyone on notice that I matter and no one and I mean NO ONE will disregard me ever again.”

 

“That’s my girl!  So do you want to have dinner with me tonight at the Palace because I’m sure that word has spread and we need to be seen so folks will know don’t mess with Evangeline Williamson.”

 

“I’m all for it Todd.  I will meet you there at 7 p.m. so let me get back to work okay.”

“Okay I will see you at 7 tonight.”

 

Finishing the files on my desk take more time than anticipated but I do and hurry out of my office to my get home to shower, change and arrive at the Palace right on time.  Todd is already there with what looks like a present for me.  I sit down and he puts the box in front of me and tells me to open it.  Inside I find a medal with #1 and a boxing glove on it.  I smile.  Leave it to Todd to do something like this.

 

“I would ask you to wear the medal during dinner but that might seem too blatant so you can where it at home and only we two will know about it.  I want you to know how proud I am of you my friend. You have new strength now and won’t let anyone disrespect or walk over you again.  Now let’s eat to celebrate.”

 

“Todd thank you so much for your support.  I think that you are the only one who understands what is happening to me now and that is such a comfort that someone understands.”

 

Todd reaches over and takes my hand and gives it a squeeze.  As he does both Christian and John walk to our table.

 

“Evangeline are you all right?  I heard what happened at the police station today with Natalie.  That doesn’t’ sound like something that you would do Evangeline.  Are you sure that you’ve recovered fully from the coma?”

 

“Christian you of all people should know that traumatic events can change a person. Can you claim to be the same Christian Vega from before your kidnapping?  No, I didn’t think so.  So although the essential core of who I am remains the same some things about me have changed so I suggest that folks just deal with the changes because I’m not here to appease anyone.”

 

“Evangeline I’m glad to see that you are okay.  Do you intend to maintain those charges against Natalie?  I’m sure that she didn’t intend to harm you.”

 

“John why am I not surprised that you take Natalie’s account in all of this?  So I guess all of the officers that witnessed the altercation were having delusions or hallucinations.  Yes I will maintain the charges.  She will have to suffer the consequences of her action.”

 

“But Evangeline you are an officer of the court and engaged in a physical altercation with someone.”

 

“John, John, John wrong again as usual.  Being an officer of the court never prevented you from breaking the law to save Natalie.  But unlike you I did everything by the book within the law.  It’s funny about you saying that I’m an officer of the court. Just today in court, Judge Thornton made a point to commend me on my handling of the situation.  Of course everyone knows the history between Natalie and me.  Everyone knows about how your indecision played out in everything that happened between Natalie and me.  Judge Thornton praised me for following the rules and with such grace.  The officers in the station when testifying on the case repeatedly said how I explained every step to Natalie but she persisted in her actions.  So if you and Christian will leave now so that my friend and I can finish our meal.  And just so that we are clear on this, don’t ever come up to me again questioning my actions. What I do is none of your business.  If you can’t abide by that then maybe I need to take out some restraining orders on the lot of you, you Christian, you John and probably Natalie.  I don’t have the time or the patience to listen to anything that you have to say.”

 

“Evangeline what has gotten into you that you talk like this?”both John and Christian ask.

 

“Well definitely not either of you thank goodness.”

 

“Gentlemen, and I use the term loosely, the lady has said all that she needs to say so if you don’t mind we want to finish our meal.”

 

“Sure Todd hanging around with you has really rubbed off on her,” John said smugly.

 

While John was making his comment I take out my phone and dial a number and say so that each of them Todd, Christian and John can hear,

 

“Nora it’s Evangeline I have a favor to ask.  Oh so you heard.  Yes I am fine.  Sure I know you are amazed that I didn’t do this before because you would have slapped her years ago.  Thanks for that Nora. I appreciate your understanding in the matter.  Now as to my favor, I want two restraining orders issued for one John McBain and two for Christian Vega.  I don’t want them within fifty feet of me. Yes you guessed it.  I’m here having dinner with my other friend and they are harassing me.  Will you have them issued and served?  You are a gem Nora thank you.  I will talk with you later”

 

Ending my conversation with Nora I put my phone back in my purse and face both Christian and John and with total resolve say to them,

 

“Expect the restraining orders with the next hour or so because like me Nora is very diligent in her duties.  Any further actions by you two will result in criminal charges.  So good bye.”

 

“Evangeline I can’t believe that you would do something like this.  I am sorry to see this change in you,” Christian says as he turns to walk away.

 

“Well you always want your women meek and docile and you the head honcho Christian but that is not me, not anymore.”

 

“I loved the old Evangeline,” Christian said.

 

“No you didn’t neither of you did.  Both of you used the old Evangeline but no one will use me ever again. Good night and goodbye.”

 

 

Evangeline Williamson, the second edition, new and improved, taking no prisoners, and doing it her way has given notice to Llanview.  She has risen from the ashes a new person with a take it or leave it attitude and offering no apologies.  NOT LIKE BEFORE and the best is yet to come.












Enter the security code shown below:
Note: You may submit either a rating or a review or both.

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.