Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


Un-betaed

All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.

 

 

 

The JOVAN Saga – A Collection of One-Shots

 

 

Chapter 20 Family Time

 

 

The sound of things falling to the floor, doors closing and laughter ringing out are all signs that the children are in the house.  Quiet is usually an indication that either the children are not here, outside or asleep.  Don’t get me wrong though.  I love my children dearly but I also admit that they can be a handful to say the least.

 

If you had told me eight years ago that I would be the father of three children I would not have believed you.  The first one, Liam, was a surprise and don’t get me started about all the drama about his paternity.  His mother and I finally got over the destruction that it caused.  Now the other two children are simply miracles.

 

“Dad, stop daydreaming.  You have that look on your face again,” Liam says as he takes my hand and leads me to the family room.  It’s family time.  The McBain family makes it a point to spend time together as a family. Mom and Dad both have busy schedules but we make a point to set aside at least one evening each week for just family time.  Not to say that we don’t spend other time together but we make a concerted effort not to have any distractions or interruptions during ‘family time’.

 

Two little whirlwinds rush by Liam and grab me by my legs, with one child each on a leg.  I see Liam smile.  He did the same thing when he was little like that.  Liam stands aside to watch the twins Aiden and Kiera, both three years old, hang onto my legs as I continue walking toward the family room.  Once I sit on the sofa the twins dislodge and jump onto my lap.  I look over at Liam and wink, and then grab both of the twins to prevent their escape.  Liam and I tickle the twins into a laughing fit.  “What’s going on in there?” we all hear and look at each other.  Kiera is the first one to speak, “Ugh oh, we’re in trouble now.”

 

She enters the family room, having finished cleaning the kitchen after dinner.  “How about we go outside for a walk today?  It’s a beautiful evening and I could use some fresh air.”  Everyone seems to like that idea so we head for the front door.  

 

Exiting the house Liam grabs the twins’ hands and walk down the sidewalk.  He’s such a good big brother and Aiden and Kiera adore him.  They follow him everywhere, like his shadow.  We walk down to the neighborhood park and the twins rush to the swings with Liam keeping a watchful eye on his brother and sister.  I put them each on a swing and push them as Liam moves over to the basketball court.  The goal post is lower so Liam scores many baskets as his siblings swing.

 

Aiden and Kiera soon tire of swinging and want to join Liam on the basketball court.  Did someone say ‘Liam’s shadows’?  Their mother pulls out smaller balls for them to use from her bag.  Their hands won’t fit around a regular sized basketball and not even the smaller basketball that Liam’s using.  She claps each time that Liam makes a basket.  A big grin fills Liam’s face each time that she applauds his efforts.  Aiden and Kiera start throwing up their balls but of course they don’t score as many baskets as Liam but she offers encouragement at each attempt.

 

I join in on the clapping and even take a few shots with Liam’s ball.  I miss on purpose and the twins shout, “Daddy, Liam made more baskets than you did.  That’s okay keep trying.”  I take one more shot and the ball goes in and all the children clap loudly.

 

“Miss Evangeline, do you want to try?”  Liam asks and hands the ball to her.  She throws up the ball to the rim and it bounces into the net.  “Yay Mommy!” the twins shout.  “Good shot,” says Liam.  I give her a high five.

 

So with that the McBain family continues ‘family time’ in the park until it’s time to return home and prepare for bed.












Enter the security code shown below:
Note: You may submit either a rating or a review or both.

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.