Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Evangeline evaluates her options and makes a decision.




Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


Un-betaed

All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.

 

 

The JOVAN Saga – A Collection of One-Shots

 

 

Chapter 3 Reaching My Limit

 

After another argument about John forever rushing off to rescue Natalie I decide to take a break from this back and forth that’s going on between us.  I don’t return his calls and I avoid him at the police station, the courthouse and at my apartment.  My only safe place these days is my office because I left strict instructions not to allow him entry unless he has a search warrant.

 

To avoid encountering him at my apartment I work late into the night and sneak in through a side entrance just in case he’s staking out the front of my apartment building.  Besides getting a lot of work done it also gives me a breather from the bickering that we’ve been doing lately.  He doesn’t see that Natalie’s insinuating herself in to our relationship for her own gain and not because she really needs any help.  She has family that she can use to help her out of any jam she finds for herself but no she calls John all of the time and he rushes off like it’s the most important thing in the world and I am tired of it.

 

Relaxing on the couch in my office I turn on some music and read the brief on my next case.  I take notes on some key points and jot down reminders of questions that I need to ask my client.  It’s late and the security guard knocks on my door to check on me.  I thank him for his diligence and he continues on his rounds.  Finishing up my review of the client’s file I clean up my office and prepare to leave.  Gathering my briefcase and purse I see a shadow pass my door.  Knowing that I’m the only one on this floor at this time of night and that the security guard has already made his rounds on my floor I hide behind my door just as the shadow stops at my door and I notice the door knob turning.  I quietly drop my briefcase to the floor and hold the handle of my purse preparing to swing it at the intruder.  Just as the body makes it way pass my door and into my line of sight I swing my purse with all the strength that I can muster and hit the person in the face.  They fall back and I use that time to pick up my briefcase and clutch my purse to me and run out of the office.  The elevator is not there so I take the stairs and see the security guard in the stairwell.  I rush to him and tell him about what happened in my office.   He told me to go to the lobby or better yet to get to my car and leave, which I do.  

 

I make it home in a nervous fit, hurry inside my apartment, lock the door, set the alarm and go to my room to shower.  Maybe the heat of the water will calm me down.  It does and I dress for bed and give no more thought to this harrowing experience.  The security guard left a message on my office phone that he did not find anyone in my office or on my floor but he will check the security cameras to identify the intruder.  He did say that he contacted the police to have it on record that someone accosted me.  

 

The next day I arrive at my office and find my office looking the same with no evidence that anyone had been there or that the event of last night ever happened.  Placing my briefcase and purse on my desk I remove the files that I need for the day and settle down to work.  Looking up towards my door I notice something shiny on the floor near the wall.  I walk over to pick it up and recognize it as a tiepin that I gave to John as a gift some time ago.  It wasn’t his birthday or anything it was just to say I value you.  I don’t remember seeing this yesterday so how and when did it get here?  John hasn’t been in my office in weeks and for that I am glad because I have reached my limit on his back and forth between Natalie and me.  It’s not like I’m asking him to make a choice because he says that he wants to be with me but he confuses the issue by always running to her rescue.  He doesn’t understand that she can view that as his wanting a relationship with her instead of just him trying to help a friend.

 

After last night’s excitement I decide to leave the office at the same time that everyone else does and I make it home safely and breathe a sigh of relief.  Just as I finish my shower, dress and sit down for dinner someone knocks at my door.  I ask who it is and hear John respond.  What is he doing here?  I don’t want to see him but being the nice person that I am I open the door to him and …

 

“What happened to you John?  How did you get that bruise on your cheek?  Looks like someone punched you although I do understand the urge to do that to you most times.”

 

“May I come in Evangeline?”

 

“Sure John come in and have a seat.  I’m just having dinner would you like some?”

 

“No not really I find it a bit hard to chew but thanks for the offer.”

 

“Oh well sit while I finish.  You can talk can’t you or do you want to wait until I finish eating?”

 

“I’ll wait.”

 

“Suit yourself.”

 

Just to be difficult I take my own sweet time to finish my dinner drawing it out for as long as I can.  Finally I finish and clear the table and then join John on the sofa.

 

“So what do you want to talk about John?”

 

“Evangeline did you know it was me at your office last night and you hit me for some reason?”

 

“No I did not know it was you John and why would I purposefully hit you?”

 

“Well you have been avoiding me and I just thought that when you saw me last night you were taking out your frustrations on me.”

 

“And just why would I be frustrated with you John.  What have you done that would frustrate me?”

 

“I’ve been spending a lot of time rescuing Natalie and although I didn’t see it at the beginning I now see how someone might construe that as I want Natalie instead of you.  Is that why you hit me?”

 

“John listen to me and listen to me carefully because I will not repeat this:

 

-I did not know it was you last night.

-I swung out in defense of my person.

-Yes your rushing to Natalie at every turn can be construed as you wanting her.

-If you want her just tell me so and we will part ways.  I don't want to stay with a man who doesn't want me.

-If you do knowingly cheat on me a purse in the face is not all you will get.  That is not a threat that is a guarantee.

 

Do you understand me now?"

 

"Yes I do and for the record I am not cheating on you and I don't want anyone else.  When you hit me in the face last night I thought you knew I was there and you were letting me know that you were displeased with me.  I left as soon as I regained my balance and looked for you but you had left.  I decided to wait until today to give you a chance to cool down and for the swelling to go down on my face.  Imagine the teasing that I got at the office today.  The staff thought that you got fed up with me and gave me one to the jaw so I'm not the only one who thought that you did it on purpose.  So yes I see that I have given mixed messages and I want to remedy that.  I feel responsible for Natalie because I caused her husband's death but I have to allow her to take care of herself.  If I always rush to her rescue she will never learn to depend on herself.  Now as for you, I don't need to run to your rescue, even though I would, you can take care of yourself as evidenced by last night's episode.  I want to remain on your good side not your bad side.

 

“That’s good to know John but you are not getting off that easily for continuously rushing off to Natalie and leaving me alone.  It will take time for me to reset my equilibrium and until that time I don’t want to see or talk to you.  I let you in tonight just as a courtesy but you have to go now.  It may seem harsh to you but you have to realize that you can’t string me along or bounce me here and there at your pleasure.  I heard everything that you said but your words and actions don’t always match John and until I see that they do we need to take a breather.  When I see you NOT rushing to Natalie every time she calls or comes to you then maybe we can resume our relationship but until then we can’t.  Now if you will leave I need my rest because I have a busy court schedule this week and last night’s drama took a lot out of me.  Good night John.”

 

“I will leave now Evangeline but we are not over.  I don’t want us to be over.  I will show you that you are my priority and until you are convinced I will abide by your wishes but I will not give up on us.  We are worth fighting for as I told you early on in our relationship and you’re probably thinking to yourself that you’re not the one who gave up but I did.  Well I will convince you that I still believe that we are worth it, that you are worth it to me.  Good night Evangeline.”

 

John leaves and I return to the sofa and read over my case files in preparation for court this week.  Only time will tell if he actually changes his ways but I will not wait around for it.  I have reached my limit and only a monumental seismic change of John’s behavior will cause me to reconsider.






Chapter End Notes:

Remember that each chapter is a stand alone story, please leave a review and thnx for reading.







Enter the security code shown below:
Note: You may submit either a rating or a review or both.

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.