Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Evangeline reacts to the news of her kidnapping and Lisa Williamson decides how best to handle her daughter's memory loss.




Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


Un-betaed

All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.

 

 

Things best left forgotten

 

 

Chapter 4

 

Did I hear my mother right?  Did she say that I was kidnapped?

 

“What do you mean I was kidnapped?  Why was I kidnapped?  Did it involve one of my cases?  No wonder I don’t want to remember anything about it.  If it was recent why can’t I remember things from two years ago?”

 

“Because two years ago is when you met the people who became involved in the kidnapping. Not that they were the kidnappers but that your knowing them resulted in you being kidnapped.  Dr. Jamison I know that you didn’t want to address this now but she has a right to know.”

 

“It could not be avoided Mrs. Williamson.  Now that it is out we can proceed with the treatment.”

 

“What if I don’t want to remember Dr. Jamison?  Why can’t we ‘let sleeping dogs lie’ as the phrase goes?”

 

“That may sound all well and good Ms. Williamson but there are other things that happened in those two years that have nothing to do with the kidnapping.  You made friends, you gained new knowledge, you handled new cases and you grew as a person.  Don’t you want to remember those things?  Don’t allow the thoughts of the kidnapping to deter you. Don’t you think that it has taken enough from you?  Don’t allow it to take anymore of your life.  You have an opportunity to rewind your life Ms. Williamson. Wouldn’t we all like the chance to change some things in our life?  That’s not to say that you can rewind and change the things that happened but you can reexamine what happened and learn what mistakes not to make and what risks you can take now that you know how the end is?  I can tell that you are a strong woman Ms. Williamson just by the fact that you are a well-respected member of this community.  That doesn’t come by chance and it doesn’t come easily.  Now what do you say to us commencing this therapy?  I can arrange a meeting room in my office building.  We don’t need to tie up this emergency room any longer. As soon as your mother supplies that list for me we can get started.”

 

“You’ve convinced me Dr. Jamison.  Let’s do it!”

 

“Okay Ms. Williamson you are done here in the emergency room.  I wish you the best in your recovery.  I wish that we could have met under other circumstances but it was a pleasure meeting you and you as well Mrs. Williamson.”

 

“Thank you Dr. Randolph for your assistance and for contacting Dr. Jamison.  Mom I’m ready to go.”

 

“Okay let’s get you home.  Dr. Jamison I will call you with those names and contact information as soon as I get Evangeline settled in her apartment.  Thanks again Dr. Randolph and thank the nurses for me too.”

 

“I will do that Mrs. Williamson.  Good bye to you both.”

 

The doctors exit the room and mom and I leave and head for the elevators.  On our way one of the men who were in the room when I regained consciousness comes up to us.

 

“Mrs. Williamson so how is she?  Does she remember anything?”

 

“No John she doesn’t and it is as I suspected.  The memory of the kidnapping has caused her to block any memories of anyone associated with it.”

 

“I’m sorry to hear that.  Is there anything I can do to help?”

 

“Don’t you think that you’ve done enough John?  The thought of that kidnapping has traumatized Evangeline so that her mind can’t handle it.  Good bye John.”

 

Not certain as to why my mother is so antagonistic against the man but I don’t interrupt.  We make it to the elevator and the doors open and people exit.  We enter and I turn to face the closing door and look up just as the doors close and look into the eyes of that man and see a tear fall down his left cheek.  The doors close.

 

/

 

Once she settled Evangeline in her apartment, Lisa Williamson called the one person in Llanview that she knew who could help her.  Nora answered on the third ring.  Lisa explained everything to Nora and Nora said that she was on her way.  It was dinnertime when Nora arrived so she did not come empty handed.  She had an assortment of take out food because she didn’t know what they might want to eat.  When we arrived back at the apartment Evangeline took a shower and laid down for a nap.  She awakens when Nora arrives and walks into the dining room just as Nora and I are putting the food on the table.

 

“Hello, are you a friend of my mother’s?  I’m her daughter Evangeline.”

 

Nora is so taken aback that she sits down on a dining room chair. She can’t believe that her best friend doesn’t remember her.  She wants to cry but she has to be strong now for Evangeline.

 

“Your mother and I are acquainted but you are my best friend.  I’m Nora Hanen.”

 

“Oh, this is so embarrassing.  I don’t remember you.  My mother has explained to you about my memory loss.  Are you here to help me remember?”

 

“Yes I am and to help you with whatever else you need me to do.  Come let us eat first and we can talk later.”

 

An uncomfortable silence envelops the three of us as we eat. Once finished eating and cleaning up we move to the living room.  I tell Evangeline that I called Nora to help me with the list of friends and associates in Llanview who can help her regain her memories.  As Nora starts calling out the names and contact information so that I can compile the list Evangeline interrupts after each name and asks how that person knows her.  It may seem a haphazard way of doing it but it is working for Evangeline to attach the name to whether the person is an associate or a friend. When Nora gets to Todd Manning she hesitates and Evangeline asks her why she hesitated.  Nora explains that although Todd is a good friend to Evangeline his is not a good friend to Nora but Nora does not want to exclude him because he means a lot to Evangeline.  I am grateful that Nora has set aside her dislike of Todd in order to help Evangeline.  I do notice that Nora includes Dr. Michael McBain but does not include John McBain.  Before I can ask the question myself Evangeline chimes in,

 

“Mom are those the two men who were there when I regained consciousness?  So Nora why do you include the doctor and not the police officer?  If I was kidnapped wouldn’t the police officer be the one to talk with too?”

 

“Evangeline I’m not sure how much to tell you about your relationship with the police officer without Dr. Jamison present.  I will say this though.  If you do have Lt. McBain on the list please make certain that you are not alone with just Dr. Jamison and him in your session.”

 

“I agree with Nora on that Evangeline.  You have a very complicated history with Lt. McBain and I don’t want any further harm to come to you.”

 

“Now you two are scaring me.  What did he do that I need to protect myself against him?  You told me that he is not the kidnapper so what did he do that was so terrible that I must be on my guard around him?”

 

“Okay that’s enough.  I can’t take this anymore.  I think this lining up people to talk with Evangeline is a waste of time.  I’m calling Dr. Jamison right now.  We will yank this bandage off in one fell swoop.  Nora if I can convince Dr. Jamison to come over now you then contact John and Michael McBain and Todd to come over here. We will have this session and get everything out in the open now.  This piecemeal thing will not work for me.”






Chapter End Notes:

Ugh, ugh are we heading for trouble by bringing everyone together at once or will it create more problems?







Enter the security code shown below:
Note: You may submit either a rating or a review or both.

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.