Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


Un-betaed

All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.

 

 

The True Measure

 

 

Chapter 7

 

Just then each man’s cell phone rings.  All four (4) persons in the cell look at each other and laugh. They separate from the group hug. Evangeline sits back on the bed leaning against the wall and the oxygen tank beside her and watch each man respond to their individual calls.  John is speaking with Commissioner Buchanan; Sgt. Moore is talking with State Police Captain Carl Nichols who tells him they’re parking in front of the Llanview Police Station; and Michael is speaking with the Llanview General Hospital Chief of Staff who’s asking him when will he return to the hospital. Earlier everyone agreed to not tell anyone else that Evangeline is at the police station or that she escaped the kidnappers.  If she does go the hospital it will be to a secure area.  Too much is at stake and they don’t know if anyone else is involved with the kidnappers seeing as they initially thought only one person was involved but they now know that at least two (2) are involved.  

 

As the men complete their phone calls, Officer Cerutti enters to let Sgt. Moore know that the officers who will guard Ms. Williamson are all here so that she can see them.  They all four (4) enter, Officers Cerutti, Barnes, Gregson and Klein. She has worked on cases with each of them.  They tell Evangeline that they volunteered for this duty and express their dismay that she has suffered so much and they will do their utmost to protect her.  She thanks them individually and collectively.  John and Sgt. Moore also thank them for assuming this responsibility and pull them aside to discuss how they will handle this protection detail. While the policemen confer Michael takes that opportunity to take Evangeline’s blood pressure again. It is high but this is to be expected considering all of the emotional turmoil that she is experiencing.  Michael does notice one thing though. Evangeline has not cried one time since he arrived.  He concludes that she’s probably holding everything in to avoid falling apart.  Michael vows at that moment to do all that he can do to help his friend notto fall apart but if she does he will be there to help her pull herself back together.

 

John finishes his call with Bo and looks over at Evangeline. She’s leaning against the wall with her eyes closed.  Just as he’s about to turn away she opens her eyes and looks directly at him. In her eyes he sees all of the fear, the sadness, the hurt, and surprisingly enough he see what he hopes, what he wishes, is a little love.  In returning her gaze he tries to project his hurt that he feels for what she has endured, his fear that he thought that he had lost her, and his need for her and hopefully his love for her.  Her eyes widen as they continue to look at each other and he hopes that she can see what he feels but has such a hard time verbalizing.  

 

Evangeline turns away from his gaze.  She doesn’t want to deal with John now.  She doesn’t have the strength to give into her feelings. She must guard herself.  She is still in danger so long as her kidnappers are not behind bars.  She hopes that no judge will grant them bail and they will remain in jail until their trials.  She doesn’t even know the names of her kidnappers.  They always wore masks and seldom talked except that time when they warned her not to try to escape.  Realizing that Evangeline abruptly states, 

 

“I don’t even know who they are.  You will come back and tell me their names won’t you?”  

 

She doesn’t direct her question to anyone in particular but John responds, 

 

“Yes we will return and tell you.  Thanks to you we have their car and should gather fingerprints and maybe even DNA from it; the cheerleader outfit you were wearing; and the skin from under your fingernails from when you scratched one of them.  Ms. Williamson you may have given us all the evidence we need to win this case.  As I always said, you are amazing and now everyone will see what I’ve known from the beginning, Evangeline Williamson is a force to be reckoned with.”  

 

All the men in the room echo, “Aye, aye to that!”  Evangeline blushes and turns away from them.

 

Officer Cerutti and the other members of the protection detail move to stand in front of the bed.  

 

“Ms. Williamson, we will work in four (4) hour shifts with breaks.  Whenever one (1) officer is on break the second officer will cover.  No one is allowed near you without prior approval.  When you are moved to the hospital we will surround you on all sides. Once settled in your hospital room one officer will be stationed outside of your room and one inside.  Dr. McBain will approve the medical staff that will attend to you.  Do you have any questions?”  

 

Evangeline smiles and then says, 

 

“Thank you so much for helping me.  I really appreciate it.  I’m sorry to take you away from your other duties and I hope that this will not last too long.  We will make the best of this difficult situation together.”  

 

With that Evangeline removes the nasal cannula, stands up and hugs each of the officers and that embarrasses all of them.  Sgt. Moore interrupts the hug fest and tells them they need to get back to their stations until their shift to guard Ms. Williamson.  Officer Cerutti only has one (1) hour left on his shift but he wants to be the one to accompany Ms. Williamson to the hospital so he asks if he can do that.  Sgt. Moore agrees and grants overtime for Cerutti who offers his thanks to the Sergeant.  Evangeline is so moved that she gives Officer Cerutti another hug that makes him turn beet red and the other officers tease him as they say in jest, ‘teacher’s pet’. Officer Cerutti remains and the others return to their duty stations.  Sgt. Moore and John leave to meet Commissioner Buchanan to take custody of the two prisoners from the State Police.












Enter the security code shown below:
Note: You may submit either a rating or a review or both.

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.