Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


Un-betaed

All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.

 

 

The True Measure

 

 

Chapter 8

 

Michael stays with Evangeline so that he can accompany her to the hospital.  Michael thinks about his conversation with his Chief of Staff. He explains that his patient requires his immediate attention and he will return to the hospital when his patient is fit for travel.  He will attend to them until that time.  The Chief of Staff is caught off-guard by Michael’s assertiveness but he realizes that this matter seems very important to Dr. McBain and therefore the Chief of Staff decides to give him the time to tend to his patient as there are no major emergencies at present and other staff can fill in as needed while Dr. McBain is otherwise engaged.  Michael thanks the Chief of Staff for understanding the situation.  

 

Michael’s thoughts return to the present and find Evangeline watching him.  Fearing something is wrong with her he hurriedly asks, 

 

“What’s the matter?  Are you feeling all right?”  

 

She holds up her hand to stop him and answers him, 

 

“I was just thinking that I didn’t know if I would ever see any of you ever again.  I tried so hard to stay strong.  I kept trying to think of ways for Natalie and me to escape.  The longer we remained captive the slimmer became our chances of rescue. Natalie kept saying that John would find her but I did not plan on waiting for anyone to rescue us.  I had to do something some how to get us out.  It took a while for me to convince her to even try to escape and I couldn’t just leave her there and escape by myself.  We almost made it out that one time but we were wrong in thinking that there was only one kidnapper because when Natalie made it out of the basement there was the other kidnapper outside and not the one we heard walking around in the rooms above the basement where they had us.  Michael when that happened I almost lost hope of ever seeing again anyone that I loved.”

 

Michael takes her in his arms and rubs her back.  As he does so he tells her that it’s okay to cry, that no one will think any less of her.  Evangeline raises her head and looks at him and shakes her head, 

 

“I can’t Michael.  If I start now I won’t stop and I can’t risk that.  I have to stay focused.  This isn’t over until those two are either behinds bars for life or executed. Then maybe I can let go but not now.  Michael just help me to hold it together please.”  

 

Michael tightens his grip on her and whispers, 

 

“I have you my friend.  Can I ask you another question though?  Are you angry with John?  I noticed that you were quite cool and aloof with him.”  

 

Evangeline moves out of Michael’s embrace, 

 

“Michael it is best that I not talk about John.  It will not give me any peace and aren’t you here to keep me calm and peaceful?”  

 

Michael gets the hint and postpones any other questions he might have about Evangeline and John.  Michael does notice that while holding her that she tensed up when he spoke John’s name.  Something bad must have happened during that rescue, recapture thing at the Love Center.  Michael knows that his brother is tearing up inside because both women were kidnapped in an effort to hurt John.  The kidnapper made it a personal matter with John but Michael doesn’t know why.  Not wanting to dwell on this train of thought Michael asks Evangeline what she plans to do once this is all over. She says that she hasn’t really thought about it much but she does know that when she gets home she will take the longest shower in history; shampoo her hair; sleep an entire day; eat a greasy burger and fries from Rodi’s; and sit in her apartment and look out the window at the sun, the sky and the clouds.  

 

Snidely she quips, “Nice bedside manner Dr. McBain.  You adeptly changed the flow of the conversation.  You’re good.”  

 

Michael laughs, “You caught me. I thought that I was smooth with it.”  

 

Evangeline smiles, “It’s my job to notice the nuances Michael.  Wow, my job!  My clients are probably bewildered with all that has happened to me.  When people come to me they’re in trouble and trying to find a way out of it.  Most of them probably think that attorneys can’t relate to regular people because they don’t consider attorneys regular people as if we can’t have problems in our lives.  Well if my clients didn’t know before that my life isn’t perfect by the disaster of a relationship that I had with your brother then they know it now.  Oh Michael, I’m sorry!  That was not fair of me.  I asked you not to talk about your brother and here I go and talk bad about him.  I will be glad when this is all over.  I want to get out of here.  

 

Here’s what should happen:  The case is brought before a grand jury which hands down an indictment and it is brought to an arraignment.  Then the judge denies bail and sets a trial date.  The trial is held and the prisoners are found guilty and sentenced.  The prisoners are escorted to prison to serve life terms or to await execution.  When they are in Statesville Prison then maybe I can breathe.  

 

But Michael, the sad part is even when they are in prison I will never be the same.  I can’t go back to my old life. I know what you’re going to say, Evangeline don’t let them win; don’t let them take your life from you.  It’s too late Michael because they already have.  I lived like I had all of the time in the world to do the things that I wanted to do.  If you don’t do it today you can do it tomorrow.  Three score and ten years we may have but we know that we do not all live that long.  You know how we say to ourselves, just have fun.  Well now that I have to rethink that.  Let me stop talking now I don’t want to depress you with my negative thoughts.”

 

Evangeline returns to sitting with her back to the wall and closes her eyes.  Michael takes that as a cue that she doesn’t want to talk any more so he takes out his pad and makes notes about her vitals and continues to watch her for any signs of distress.  After an hour, Evangeline falls asleep and Officer Cerutti looks in to check on them and when he sees her asleep he gives Michael a thumbs up and returns to his post outside in the corridor that leads to the cell.












Enter the security code shown below:
Note: You may submit either a rating or a review or both.

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.