Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


Un-betaed

All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.

 

Overcoming our Past

 

Chapter 2

 

No longer can I hear their cries but the sounds are ones that I can never forget.  Sitting alone now the faces of those living and dead now flash through my mind.  Those who now feel vindicated with the verdict handed down against me.

 

No one person can be happier than Alejandro Rivera.  His entire life he has waited for such a moment.  He probably thinks that it’s too bad that this didn’t happen while his sister Paloma Reynoso was alive.  After all Alejandro was the driving force behind all of this.  He never gave up trying to convince anyone who would listen that I killed his father in cold blood.  Well he now has his dream fulfilled but at what cost to others?

 

NCIS Forensic Scientist Abigail Sciuto investigated evidence in a cold case that Rivera so conveniently supplied, while training a class of task force forensic specialists in Mexico.  This is the same anti-drug task force created by Mexican and American law enforcement agencies to combat drug cartels, most notably the Reynoso Cartel in Mexico.  Rivera was assigned by the Mexican government to act as the liaison with the task force.  At that time Rivera served as an official in the Mexican Department of Justice.  At no time did Rivera reveal that the cold case was that of his father, Pedro Hernandez.  All along Rivera wanted to use NCIS to prove that I killed his father.

 

Abby’s report did prove my guilt but Attorney Margaret Allison Hart, who also worked with the task force, intercepted the only copy of the report.  When she showed the report to me she told me that she thought that I could be it.  Too bad that she wasn’t at the trial with me.  What happened to the report I don’t know but it was never introduced as evidence in the trial so I can only assume that it was destroyed.

 

But all of this affected so many people and not just Rivera and me.  I can’t talk about my wife and children right now.  I can’t go there just now.

 

Abby destroyed all of the evidence that she found for her report.  Abby is a very honest person and for her to do that cost her a great deal morally.  I am so sorry to have caused her such grief.

 

Intercepting the report compromised attorney Hart’s integrity.  Director Vance knew of the report and my guilt but never divulged it.  Lara Macy the USMC Lieutenant who first investigated my involvement in Hernandez’s murder covered up evidence to protect me.  Of course my friend Mike Franks knew what I did.  Maybe it’s a good thing that both Lt. Macy and Franks are now dead and can’t see that in the end their sacrifices didn’t change the end result.  My conviction.

 

That’s just a short list of persons who knew about what I did.  There’s also a list of those who hinted at knowing:

 

-Jonathan Cole/Casey Stratton of the Watcher Fleet

-Judge Miles Deakin of the vigilante justice group

-Richard Parsons, Department of Defense General Investigator

-Alejandro Rivera and Paloma Reynoso

 

Now my friends too know the shame of my guilt.  Their association with me will now tarnish them.  Everyone will think that they knew all along and kept silent.  They will be subject to that broad brush stroke of guilt.  They may even be subject to investigation either individually or collectively.  This really will impact Director Vance.

 

No, no.  I still can’t think about my family. I don’t want them to see me just now. I pray that our family and friends surround Margie, Richard and Nicole with their love and strength.  If only they could have been spared this hurt.

 

I remember telling Alejandro and Paloma that I never lost a minute of sleep thinking about the death of their father.  That was when I only had myself to worry about.  Now my family and friends will suffer for my action of so many years ago.

 

How do you tell a child that their father is locked away for the rest of his life for killing an unarmed man?  How do you help them through that hurt?  How do you apologize to your wife for the pain that she now feels?  How do you comfort them when you have no comfort knowing that they are in such pain and there is nothing that you can do to alleviate that pain?  

 

Yes I know that everyone thinks that Margie is a strong woman.  She has faced so many harsh things in her life, especially through her work.  But what not many know, except for her parents and her close friend Lydia, is that Margie can be very sensitive some times and I know that one thing about which she is very sensitive is her family.  My wife loves me and moved heaven and earth to help us win this case but in the end the verdict was against us.  I know her and I know that she now feels that she failed our children and me.  How do I convince her that she did everything that she could and it is not her fault?  I am at fault.  I am the one who pulled that trigger those many years ago.  

 

I sit in this cell wishing that I could kiss her one more time, that I could hug our children and her one more time.  No, no, I can’t do this anymore.  I have to think of something else or I will fall down that hole of despair and never come out.  

 

One good thing that has come out of this awful experience is that now no one can bring up this case in an attempt to threaten me.  The verdict is in and it is over.

 












Enter the security code shown below:
Note: You may submit either a rating or a review or both.

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.