Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


Flashback

Victor had just finished up another night at the office. He was slowly making his way through the well-lit parking lot with Paul his driver/bodyguard when suddenly a woman raced up to him frantically crying and trembling. She appeared to be in her mid-30s, curly brunette hair disheveled and light brown eyes filled with tears. Blood was noticeably oozing from a visible cut on her lower lip. Her beautiful red blouse ripped around the collar.

"You gotta help me!" She kept repeating over and over again. The words came out through rasping breaths. She clutched tightly unto his arms and wouldn't let go.

Victor tried to calm her, but her entire body shook violently. He thought he knew her from somewhere.

"Paulie call 9-1-1."

"Already on it."

"What's your name? What's happened to you?"

"I..." Her eyes rolled back. Immediately she went limp in his arms.

Victor patted her cheeks. "Hey...Hey!"

 

Llanview Hospital

Victor ran through the hospital's corridor into the emergency section and ran up to the nurses' station.

"Nurse...Nurse." He tapped hard on the desk.

"What is it, Mr. Lord."

"I'm trying to find out some information about a young woman who was just brought in by ambulance."

"Victor, she is under Dr. Bell's care. The team is doing its best to stabilize her. Do you know her name or have any other information about her?"

"No, I just met her. She was yelling for help then fainted in my arms soon after."

"I need to find out her insurance information, or we will need to move her to another hospital."

Victor knew the drill. Insurance meant quality care.

"I will take care of all her expenses. Have her moved to a private room once she's stabilized."

"Yes, Mr. Lord."

There was nothing more he could do except either wait or check back in the morning.

"Could you please give me a call once she's able to see anyone."

"Certainly."

 

The next morning Victor arrived with a vase filled with fresh flowers. He found her awake and noted that she had bandaging around her head. There was small bruising visible along her face and exposed arms. He thought she must have endured a horrifying experience but was happy to see her recovering nicely. He set down the vase on the bedside cabinet.

"Good morning."

She cleared her throat. "G-good morning. Thanks for saving me last night."

"I was glad I was there to assist. Do you have any memory of last night? Were you attacked? Did you get into a fight?"

"I'm not sure." She squeezed her eyes shut then reopened them. "My brain is still foggy. I believe my purse was either stolen. Did I leave it somewhere."

"Don't worry about it right now. Thank God you're safe and alive. The doctor didn't find any internal injuries. You'll be good as new in no time."

She shook her head gratefully then said, "I know you."

"I'm not sure if that's a good or bad thing." She grimaced when she tried to smile. "Take it easy. Good as new doesn't mean today."

"Now and then I see you around the Banner. I work for your sister Victoria Lord."

Victor eased into the chair next to the bed. "It's a small world after all," he laughed. "What's your name?"

"Lynn Hitchcock."

"Hello Lynn. Well, of course, you already know mine."

Thus the conversation continued, and a quasi-friendship was born.

 

 

When Victor stepped into his sister's office, he didn't expect to see Viki, Jessica and Lynn gathered around her desk. They were engrossed in an intense conversation until they noticed his presence.

Victor stretched out his arms. "What is this? A check up on how Victor is doing meeting?"

"Of course not. That would include a long dinner," Jessica quipped.

"Ha, ha." He hugged Jessica. The two's relationship remained close. "So why did you need to see me so urgently Viki unless..." He spied the legal pads spread out on the desk. "I hope this isn't one of your planning sessions for another charity event."

Vicki folded her arms. "And what if it is?"

Victor let out an exasperated sigh. "Vicki, I'm not interested in being kidnapped, arrested or shot at...at least not this year. Llanview has enough events going on in December to entertain the populace. Put a pen to your checkbook and write out a nice rounded figure. The hospital will be much appreciative."

"Victor, you are a part of the board."

"And so is Todd and I don't see him anywhere."

"The both of you in a room at the same time will not exactly work out."

Victor smirked. "I have plans, Viki. I can't get bogged down in these strategy meetings. Invite me to dinner, and I'll be there. We can chat for an hour and go on about our business. When it comes to this, I prefer to write a check. ...Hey Hitch, want to join me for lunch?"

"Viki, is it okay to go on my break now?"

"Of course, it's okay. Come on Hitch let's go." Lynn acquiesced after getting a quick nod from Vicki. Victor placed his arm around her shoulder. "I know this nice Greek restaurant where we can get the best Souvlaki."

"Souvlaki? I'm not sure if Greek is my thing."

"Don't knock it until you've tried it."

 

Viki shook her head as their voices trailed off.

"Mom, he seems to be doing fine. He and Lynn are getting along. I know you were a bit worried once Evangeline left."

"On the contrary, I thought it was the best thing. Those two needed some breathing space to figure stuff out."

"What do they need to figure out? Evangeline is his best and only friend. She got him through some rough moments, and he did the same for her."

"Yet sometimes you can be each other's stumbling block without even realizing it," said Vicki returning to her desk.

"Mom you're always wary of Uncle Victor. I think you need to relax and stop worrying so much. Eventually, you will wear yourself out."

And other things. Viki knew Jessica was right, but she took her role as big sister very seriously. She filled the role of matriarch of the family.

"For a family that's in the newspaper business, I'm tired of us always being part of the news."

"We've had a few months of relative calm."

"I see it as the calm before the storm," uttered Vicki in an ominous tone.

 

 

Washington 

 

"I've interviewed the wife. She insists that he was with her all night but..."

"She doesn't come across as a credible witness."

The state accused Alessandro Marino of murdering his business partner of twenty years, Pietro Baresi. The case generated headlines all over the country due to Marino and Baresi's prominent statuses within the finance industry.

They were meeting in Thomas' office going over some of the details of the case.

"I'm not sure how jurors are going to respond to her testifying. Of course, she will stand by her husband and say that he was home all night. She does have a lifestyle to maintain."

"And what about Mr. Marino?"

"You can hear the bitterness in his tone. His responses were cold, arrogant, and genuinely uncaring. Pretty convenient that the gun used in the murder was stolen out of his vehicle a few weeks ago which he failed to inform the police about."

"Ouch...there are few ways to skirt around some of these issues, but he will want to testify."

"Cross-examination is going to be a nightmare unless we convince him otherwise." Evangeline snapped her fingers. "I suggest we set up a mock trial. We can get an idea of what potential jurors will decide once we present our side of the case. Mr. Marino will understand he'll make a better witness for the prosecution." Thomas chuckled at that statement. "It's best to find out our strengths and weaknesses before it plays out before the court."

"That's an excellent idea."

The glint in his eye, however, proved that he already had that thought in mind.

"Convince him that it's worth the time and money involved. This case can't rush."

"Marino wants to get his name and the business out of the public spectacle. I'll smooth his ruffled feathers soon enough. He has already informed that the press is clamoring around his gated community. It's time for you to visit him and reassure the family that everything is under control." Evangeline nodded.

 

As soon as Evangeline left, Molly burst into Thomas' office.

 

"Thomas..."

"Molly...what do you think you're doing?" he asked from behind his desk.

Molly wouldn't mince words. " Why is Ms. Williamson second-chair on this case? I'm the most senior individual on the team," she protested.

Thomas calmly replied, "You shouldn't be reacting like this. Haven't you been second-chair on other of my cases? I've also chosen the others."

"Why didn't you choose one of them? It would have been preferable." She expressed through clenched teeth. Rage burned within her, the reddened face and furrowed brow displayed the outward signs. "Ms. Williamson is a newbie."

"I don't need to explain myself to you." He rose from his seat. "The case required a female second chair."

"It truly helps that Evangeline is African-American and very attractive."

Thomas pointed an index finger at her face. "Let me remind you that the partners are watching you very closely. Their tolerance can only go so far."

Those words cooled her intensity. She suddenly went quiet, and slowly sat down in one of the chairs "It's not my fault that Mira left," her voice pleaded. "She said she found a better opportunity elsewhere."

"It doesn't matter. My hands are tied." He placed his palms on her shoulders. "There is only so much I can do to protect you. You've got to stop behaving hysterically or kiss your career at Shuster and Lewis goodbye." Molly reluctantly agreed.






Chapter End Notes:

Can someone please get in contact with Lifetime or Hallmark so that Trevor St. John and Renee Elise Goldsberry can do a movie together :)







Enter the security code shown below:
Note: You may submit either a rating or a review or both.

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.