Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL MY READERS!!!!

 





Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


Ellen remarked, "Now that was a good run."

 

"It's great to get the heart pumping," Evangeline replied in between stretches.

 

She was enjoying these early morning runs whenever she was able to. It assisted greatly in clearing her thoughts and lowering her stress levels. The two friends usually ran along the trails in Laurel Creek Park.

 

"How about a girls' night out."

 

"I'm not sure about that, Ellen. I'm trying my best to get a couple of cases resolved quickly. I so want an entire weekend to myself."

 

"Oh, I see. Planning something special?

 

"Let's just say if all goes accordingly, I'll share the details afterward," she chuckled.

 

"I can't wait." Ellen briefly went quiet, then said. "And about that other thing?"

 

Evangeline instantly knew what she was talking about and let out a breath. "I get that Myers is going to find out what I'm doing..."

 

"He's going to be none too pleased either," Ellen interjected.

 

"It might not seem that way, but I do have a great deal of respect for him. He's just not listening to my concerns. I'm not happy about the team dynamic. I can't and won't work under those conditions."

 

"Evangeline...I hate to say this, but your actions may jeopardize your career in Washington." Ellen sounded concerned.

 

Evangeline tugged on her ponytail. "I recognize what it could mean for my career, but my mamma didn't raise a pushover."

 

"Neither do the rest of us. Unfortunately, we are far too busy to find out or care to know."

 

"Why does Molly have so much power? Are the two sleeping together? Is she blackmailing him? Is there some secret that the two of them share? I just don't get it."

 

***

 

Later on, as she was coming off a call with a client, Tiffany knocked at her door.

 

"Mr. Myers wants to see you right away. It doesn't sound like he's in the best of moods either, prepare yourself."

 

Evangeline quickly arose from her seat and said, "Here we go."

 

When Evangeline strolled into his office, there were no pleasantries exchanged between them. He merely instructed her to close the door behind her.

 

"Evangeline, what is this I'm hearing? You want to change teams?" His angry tone and the scowl on his face said much.

 

"I do, and that shouldn't be much of a surprise to you. Time and time again, I've raised my concerns with you over the past few months..."

 

"How easily you forget the important opportunity that I gave you on a very high profile case," Thomas countered.

 

Evangeline crossed her arms, mouth curved down into a frown. "Was that suppose to appease me? That I should return to my corner like a good little girl. Molly is a bully, and you allow her to get..."

 

"Evangeline, don't say another word." Evangeline held her peace and briefly stared at the ground. There was no getting through to Mr. Myers. "Whatever you are planning, I'm not going to allow it, and the partners will listen to me," he stated emphatically. He leaned against his desk, adjusting his jacket sleeves. "As I see it, you have two options, either you stay or walk away."

 

Evangeline gazed at him aghast. "Why are you doing this to me?"

 

"I should ask the same of you. You have only just worked here for so many months, and now you want to leave my team. You want to call the shots. How do you think that makes me look in front of everyone. So what's it going to be?"

 

"I guess I only have one choice. I appreciated the opportunity," she said, then turned and walked away. No one was going to back her into a corner where she didn't choose to be. She heard him calling after her, but refused to look back.

 

***

 

During the seemingly long walk to her office, she felt emotionally confused, hurt, and disappointed, but she didn't shed any tears. Upon her arrival, Tiffany followed her inside. The

office didn't feel like hers anymore. Soon she would start removing all those things that gave her a sense of comfort.

 

"Tiffany, could you please get me a box pack my stuff. Officially this is my last day at Shuster and Lewis."

 

Tiffany gasped, "You're leaving us?"

 

Evangeline solemnly nodded her head, lamenting, "I doubt I can get a job in this town again. Still, I'll miss you guys. With few exceptions, it has been great working here."

 

Tiffany said furiously, "Molly strikes again. She's to blame for this. She always gets her way. She did just enough to hinder you, causing this to happen." Evangeline gazed at her as she started pacing back and forth, then quite suddenly she stopped. "I know someone who can talk to the other partners on your behalf."

 

"Is that practical? After all, Mr. Myers is himself a partner and will have more sway with them more than anyone else, I believe."

 

"Not necessarily. Don't do anything drastic until I can get this moving. Molly is not going to win this time around."

 

***

 

"Viki, stop trailing after me," Victor said in an irritated voice.

 

"Victor, would you just listen."

 

He turned around and stated, "Why should I. You've crossed the line."

 

An incredulous Viki replied, "I did not!"

 

**

 

This intense discussion was taking place in Rourke's gym. Victor was doing his usual cardio workout when he caught sight of Viki and Jessica strolling out from an aerobics class. Jessica excused herself because she needed to pick up her daughter from a playdate while Viki stayed behind to speak with Victor. After the usual greetings, Viki inquired about his custody battle and where it stood. He informed her about Blair's offer.

 

"Wow, that's fantastic."

 

Viki was happily surprised, believing that Blair had finally made a positive change even though she was going through difficult times. She didn't bring up Todd's name, knowing Victor's aversion towards his brother. When Viki stirred the conversation into him having a relationship, that's when things became heated.

 

"I'm not interested in Lynn. Yeah, I like her as a friend but nothing otherwise. I'll let you in on a little secret I have feelings for someone else."

 

A perturbed Viki responded, "I can take two guesses as to the name of the said person - Evangeline Williamson. Point blank, she's not the right type of person for you..."

 

 

Present

 

That's the moment when Victor stormed off with Viki following closely behind.

 

"Why is it so hard for you to believe that a relationship between the two of us can't work out? You've always disliked her, and I can't understand why. You know what, I don't even care about your opinion on this certain subject. I'm a grown man capable of choosing the right woman for mine and Sam's life. I finally get who I am. I don't need anyone trying to control my life like I'm a lost soul."

 

"Okay, okay. Victor, answer me this question, what if she doesn't feel the same way? What will you do then?"

 

He leaned down slightly and hissed, "It's none of your business. I love you, sis, but you need to butt out."

 

A stunned Viki watched as Victor stormed off to the showers.

 

***

 

Victor removed the incident with Viki from his thoughts. There was somewhere he needed to be. He stood outside Blair's house, repeatedly knocking at her door. With the court order rendered, paperwork signed, and lawyers paid, today, Sam was officially coming home with him. Of course, Blair would have her time with him regarding visitation.

 

"Blair, open up!"

 

He was so excited to see Sam. An excitement he could barely contain. All his hard work, sobriety, and setting his life in order was finally paying off.

 

"Blair!"

 

"Alright! Alright! Coming! Coming!"When the door opened, she remarked, "Important much." Blair looked festive in a flowery, off-the-shoulder maxi dress.

 

"I'm here for Sam, remember."

 

"He's not here, Victor," she commented rather nonchalantly. She turned around and strolled into the living room.

 

"Blair, what's going on? We picked the date and time. I expected Sam to be ready." He was visibly agitated.

 

"Don't get upset. Jack took him for a little outing. They'll be back shortly, or you don't believe in them spending some time together."

 

"Of course, I don't mind, but Jack can see him whenever he wants to. It's not like I'm moving him halfway across the country."

 

"Look, Jack asked, and I agree. Do you want me to call him?"

 

Victor briefly reflected on it. "No, no. I can wait."

 

He seemed to calm down considerably, taking a seat on the sofa. Soon Blair went over to the stocked mini-bar and poured herself a drink.

 

Victor raised an eyebrow. "Isn't it a bit too early?"

 

"Considering the day, it's never too early."

 

She reminisced about her time with Sam, along with all the things she would miss since he won't be with her daily. She gulped down that drink then poured herself another. This time, however, she simply took a sip then sat down next to Victor.

 

"How long has it been since you've been here?"Victor gazed around, with his hands clasped together. "Quite a while ago."

 

The living room featured a whole new design, in addition to the furnishings being completely different.

 

"I hate how things ended between us."

 

Victor began feeling uncomfortable. He observed a look in her eyes - that look of wanting. She gulped down her remaining drink and again got up to pour herself another.

 

"Blair, you need to take it easy."

 

"Todd, you're telling me to take it easy."

 

Todd?

 

A warning signal began flashing bright red in his brain.

 

"We had eight wonderful years together. Then suddenly, you chose to walk away from the marriage without a good explanation."

 

Bright red! Immediately Victor went over to her and tried pulling the drink away, but she slapped him hard across the cheek.

 

He quickly backed away from her, massaging his reddened cheek. "You know what I'm going to find Jack and Sam. Where are they?"

 

Blair shrugged her shoulders and started weeping. "It's always her, always Evangeline." She slammed down her drink. "I gave you everything. You always go running after her!"

 

Victor panicked. He ran up the stairs, checking all the rooms. "Sam! Jack!"

 

His heart rate rose rapidly, and a cold chill came over him. He ran throughout the house, but there was no one else there. He quickly raced back over to Blair.

 

He grabbed her shoulders. "Did you do something to them?"

 

"Let me go!"

 

"Not until you tell me where my sons are."

 

"Todd, Ow, you're hurting me!"

 

Suddenly, Jack and Sam strolled in.

 

"Dad..."

 

"Sam!"

 

Sam immediately ran into his father's arms. Victor held him tightly, relieved, and grateful to finally see them both.

 

"Dad, why is your cheek so red? What's going on with mom?"

 

Blair leaned against the bar seemingly, unhinged, lost in her world.

 

"Jack, we need to talk."

 

***

 

For her peace of mind, Evangeline decided to leave the office. There was no use in sticking around. She didn't want to see or hear from anyone. It didn't seem appropriate. Whatever Tiffany was engineering, she could call her later with the details.

 

During the arduous elevator ride, she thought about calling Victor. She hated being so far away, yearning to talk to him face to face. He always knew the perfect things to say to make her feel better and how to make her laugh

in difficult times.

 

The elevators swung open on the ground floor, and she walked through to the lobby area. She was surprised to see Molly and Robert engrossed in an animated discussion in a corner. She stood by quietly, observing the interplay between the two. To say she was surprised would be a lie. Everything about Robert's actions was highly suspicious. Soon he caught sight of her and quickly bolted.

 

Evangeline shook her head in disgust and said, "What a tangled web we weave..."

 

Molly turned towards her. "Oh, it's you. What, no box?" Molly asked with a straight face."Why are you asking?" an irritated Evangeline questioned. She tightly gripped the strap of her purse, doing her best to remain civil.

 

"Well, there is just this rumor going around that you're leaving Shuster and Lewis..."

 

"Humph, it could be then again it could not."

 

"We'll all learn soon enough. Whatever the case, it's certainly been a pleasure."

 

"The pleasure was never mine. Molly, the war is not quite over yet; remember that."

 

A sly smile was etched on Molly's face as she watched Evangeline hurry away.






Chapter End Notes:







Enter the security code shown below:
Note: You may submit either a rating or a review or both.

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.