Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


Just an hour after the formal lunchtime, this important meeting was presided over by three of the most senior partners: Gary Stephens, Sheila Hemsley, and Blake Thurton, employed at S&L for over thirty years. For them, these types of disagreements were nothing new. They aimed to resolve such matters quickly. Any amount of time spent away from clients costs money.

 

The meeting room was smaller than the much larger conference rooms. It provided an intimate setting with a seating capacity for six individuals in addition to a projector and whiteboard. The outward tilted slats of the Venetian blinds allowed enough lighting to stream through. A small bookcase and modern art lay against the adjacent walls. Both Evangeline and Thomas dressed impeccably for the awkward occasion, keenly aware of first impressions.

 

Evangeline went into a speech detailing why she felt compelled to transfer over to another team. Mr. Myers' welcoming attitude suddenly turned as the months went by and his lack of support affected her sense of comfort within the team's dynamic. Thomas countered that a junior associate shouldn't have the privilege of making such decisions, given that her immediate superior bore that decision alone. Only he understood the inner workings of his team. Evangeline's sense of discomfort may be associated with her lack of experience or her superiority complex after having a hand in winning their high-profile case. He had been at this for several years, earning distinction through hard work and dedication to the firm's ideals.

 

Evangeline shook her head at the personal attacks on her character. The partners took notes and listened keenly. They carefully jotted down notes here and there, their faces betraying no emotion one way or the other. 

 

"How can I remain within an environment whereby Mr. Myer's requests, demeanor, and actions suppress my development. He cares more for Ms. Akord's needs than the others within the team."

 

"I object!"

 

"We are not in a courtroom setting, Thomas," Blake reminded in his baritone voice. "Is Ms. Akord the reason that we find ourselves in this position?" The partners shared a knowing look between themselves.

 

"Ms. Akord is not a team player," Evangeline emphatically stated. "She is more focused on things outside of the team. She is not doing her fair share in assisting us on these big cases."

 

"I don't see it that way. I'm the person in charge with much of the responsibility. Ms. Akord is more than a capable lawyer who has honed her skills brilliantly over her years at the firm."

 

"It seems Ms. Akord has a habit of interfering with your team's development," Sheila chimed in. 

 

"Sheila, that's not true! Things have happened here and there but, it has never come to my attention until now. My team has always been one of the firm's top performers..."

 

"That's Enough!" Gary interjected. "This wasn't meant to be a long back and forth session." Thomas sighed and settled in his chair. "Ms. Williamson, we will need to have a private conference with Mr. Myers, so could you please excuse us." 

 

"We also promise to meet with you once we've reached an appropriate outcome."

 

"Please remain in your team's office for the time being."

 

After closing the door behind her, she exhaled. There were too many scenarios mentally circulating, and she needed to take a break. Inevitably, she came across Molly, who was conveniently walking down the office corridor.

 

"Evangeline..."

 

"Molly...What is it that you want? I'm not in the mood for wordplay."

 

"Just a small word of advice..." 

 

Evangeline responded by crossing her arms and rolling her eyes, yet she remained rooted in place. "Speak..."

 

"Look, take it if you want," she replied irritatingly. "Llanview is a small community."

 

"So?"

 

"So you're in the big leagues now, and one false move may blow apart your future ambitions in this field. You don't see much on the surface, but beneath, a lot is going on, so be careful." She turned then strolled away.

 

When the click-clack of Molly's high heels slowly faded in the distance, only then did Evangeline move on to the team's office. Indeed her words provided food for thought, even if she hated to admit it. This entire process made her feel naive. She hadn't done her homework or strategized as she would for any one of her clients. Could you say, let the chips fall where they may?

 

 

Meanwhile

 

"I can't believe that you allowed Evangeline to leave while I was still asleep," Victor muttered as he handed Tina a file folder.

Tina hit back, "When I saw Evangeline, she said she had to prepare for an important meeting back in Washington, so it wasn't as if she was sticking around. Besides, I wasn't in tune with your prior conversation or its importance. Now can I please get back to earning my keep?"

 

"Fine, go...," he said, waving his right hand. 

 

He hated that he could only recall bits and pieces of their conversation. However, Evangeline appeared to be very preoccupied with whatever was going on at S&L. Todd Manning would be blowing up her phone right now. He wasn't Todd Manning.

 

"Weren't you going to Washington next weekend?" Tina asked from over her shoulder.

 

"I thought so, but things happen. It doesn't help that my book title sounds like crap. I've hired a literary agent to take care of much of this stuff."

 

"Humph...I hope that's not an omen," she remarked beneath her breath.

 

"What's that?"

 

"I wonder did Evangeline offer that suggestion?"

 

"Yeah, yeah, she said it would make my life much easier."

 

"Hey...Lynn, what are you doing here?" A surprised Tina asked as she opened the door.

 

"Just running an errand for Viki, and since I was in the area..."

 

"You decided to visit my boss. I hope you are not the go-between for those two. Sometimes the messenger gets burned and not in a good spot."

 

Lynn always looked like your average girl next door. Today she wore a floral midi dress with black wedge heel sandals, minimal makeup, and tresses hung loosely around her shoulders.

 

"Well, I haven't felt the heat as yet. I don't like it when these two behave this way," she whispered.

Tina wondered if Lynn was for real. Everyone knew the family always acted this way. "Don't worry about it," she said, patting her shoulder. "It usually works itself out in the end."

 

 

"Lynn? What are you doing here?" Victor asked with a smile on his face, rising from his seat. 

 

"Hey, Victor. I haven't seen you around lately, and the way Viki is acting, I figured something was up."

 

"Viki can be a pain in you know what, but that doesn't mean I don't love her. Sometimes we need a break from each other, or else things start going down a long rabbit hole."

 

 "Here, I've brought you a couple of turkey sandwiches." She offered him a brown bag.

 

"You know me too well. I'm famished, so thanks."

 

Lynn sat down on the sofa while Victor sat at the edge of his desk.

 

"Aren't you going to eat your sandwiches?"

 

"In a little while. Is there something else on your mind?"

 

"How is Sam? I've heard about Blair. It must be rough on him."

 

"He's doing as well as can be expected for a kid."

 

Sam was never too far from his thoughts. Blair remained at St. Ann's, and he had allowed the two to speak over the phone a couple of times.

 

"Has he been asking a lot of questions?"

 

"No, which is a good sign." Sam had also returned to his room which made Victor sense that he was accepting the situation and believing that Blair was getting better. "Thanks for asking." 

 

There was a pause in their conversation. Victor didn't feel comfortable going into specifics about Sam. It almost seemed strange that she was asking, but then again, they were casual friends. Being that he never had a friend except for Evangeline, of course, he was still learning.

 

Lynn cleared her throat. "My friend, her kids, and I are going bowling this Saturday. You and Sam can join us if you like."

 

"I'll think about it, then give you a call." 

 

Suddenly Lynn's cell came to life. "Hello."

 

"Lynn, are you finished with your errand. I need you to come back to the office."

 

"Okay, I'm on my way."

 

"Looks like I need to get back."

 

"Thanks for dropping by," he said as he escorted her to the door.

 

"I'll hopefully see you soon."

 

After Lynn left, Tina couldn't help but gaze at Victor's office door. "Well, Victor, you've certainly got a full plate plus a side dish of salad."

 

 

Evangeline spun the pen over and over between her fingers. She was staring at nothing particular on the computer screen. Molly's unsolicited advice affected her mood, and it made her mentally replay everything that led up to this point.

 

"Huh!" She let out a loud sigh and threw the pen on the desk. The pen slowly rolled off the desk and onto the floor.

 

"Evangeline, you can't keep doing this to yourself," Ethan said.

 

"My career may have been affected from this point forward."

 

"Or maybe not. I'll admit Thomas carries a lot of influence at this firm and elsewhere, but the partners have a greater standing than he does."

 

"And they are more on his side than mine. I'm generally new to this world, just starting to make a name for myself. I'm on the first rung of this ladder. Oh, why did I not see that requesting a simple transfer could mean so much more? I need those partners on my side..." 

 

 

"Evangeline...." Tiffany interrupted. "Mr. Stephens would like to speak with you in his office."

"Okay."

 

 

Fifteen minutes later and Evangeline's world appeared upside down in a way. While neither party got what they wanted, Evangeline's stipulation came with a caveat. She needed to take a moment to collect her thoughts. 

 

"And what if I chose to walk away?"

 

"Of course, it is your right. You know there are consequences to this. Is going to Phoenix for a few months so bad?"

 

S&L had an office based in Arizona. They had offices situated in states where many of their clients' businesses are based. Still, Arizona was not Washington. The clients, prestige, money - all would be affected.

 

Gary and Evangeline stood facing one another by the sliding glass window. It didn't seem fair to her, but what was acceptable in their world? And what of his sanction, she would never know.

 

"It's not, but what about my clients?"

 

"Thomas would need to take care of that. Evangeline, you are an amazing lawyer, but there are enough egos and narcissistic personalities within this firm that it should come with a warning - join us at your own risk. It's a political high stake game."

 

Evangeline's eyes stared at him with new clarity. "It seems that you don't agree with all that's going on. Why do you choose to stay?"

 

"Why?" Gary reflected. "There are only so many of us, and I wanted to be an exception to the rule. Accomplish as much as I could so others see that it doesn't need to be this way. And yet, it will always be this way. I try my best to be the voice of reason, especially when these disagreements come up from time to time. Being a top lawyer not only means navigating your client's needs but also your own. Law firms' politics are brutal, but once you've learned to play the game, anything is possible even if you choose to walk away - you will be protected."

 

There was a knock at the door. "Excuse me..." Gary went to see who it was.

 

"Oh, Ms. Davis, please come on in."

 

"Ellen?" Evangeline turned to see her confidant, surprised at her presence. "What are you doing here?"

 

"Ms. Davis will be going to Arizona."

 

"You won't be alone."

 

 

Later on, when she contacted Victor, she got blindsided by his reaction to her leaving.

 

"It's just a few months. Why is it such a big deal?"

 

"It's like whatever we are attempting to accomplish always gets put on hold. Evangeline, a lot can happen in a few months."

 

She sensed and appreciated his frustration about the situation, but this was about her life. This time around, she needed his support.

 

"Why can't you understand that I need to do this to save my career and future endeavors. I'm not doing this to run away from us."

 

"You could have fooled me, Evangeline. It's like we don't fit anywhere, anytime."

 

Evangeline let out a frustrated sigh. Perhaps they should have talked face to face but time wasn't on her side.

 

"Let's take a break, Victor. It's best for the both of us."

 

"Fine. I agree."

 

She heard a click and knew he had hung up on her. She briefly stared at her phone. An already stressful day turned worst in the evening. Finally, she gazed out her window wishing upon a lonely star in the sky. No, she didn't believe it was the end of what their relationship would be, but she had to let it go for now. 

 

 

TO BE CONTINUED......












Enter the security code shown below:
Note: You may submit either a rating or a review or both.

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.