Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

 

 

Seumulnet 

Twenty-four 




Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


 

1039 A.D

 

    A loud yawn filled the hall and tired disinterested eyes scanned the many court officials who had unceremoniously roused him from his sleep. 

    “Seo Jun Wangja-nim…should we begin the meeting?” Pursing his lips, the man sat back in his chair, one clothed in the finest silk and a plush pillow. 

    “Let’s get this over with.”

 

*** 

 

    “He’s not done a bad job so far hm?” Young but calculating eyes turned onto a man, a man who had cast his bid for her hand. 

    “Who?” 18-year-old Mishil knew who. However, she was loathe to say his name. 

    “Your oppa-nim.” 

    “Hm.” 

    “Come now little flower. It’s been three years and you’re still upset at him? He did you a favor.” Pinching her lips, she eyed the man whose gaze grew more and more lascivious every time they crossed paths. 

    “Instead of bothering me, I suggest you get back to work. Whatever that may be.” Grinning at her spike in attitude, he winked at her and drew away from her. Lifting hands to the freshly painted red banister, she curled her fingers around it, nails soon embedding themselves into the wood. Indeed it had been three years. Three since Cheol-su had vanished with the slave woman. Three years since Seo Jun had risen to power in the military, using his connection to the King to exploit, pillage, murder and take hold of every female he could get his hands on. And a year and half since he’d taken away the very thing she’d treasured most. Of which, she determined she would never forgive him. 

    “Highness,” Turning she found a gungnyeo standing there, head bowed before her, hands pressed stiffly against her abdomen. 

    “What is it?”

    “Her Majesty the Queen summons you.” Swallowing up the resentment and pain, she adopted a blank expression as she was ushered into her mother’s chambers. Bowing before her, she kept her eyes at the floor. 

    “Lift up your eyes daughter.” Tightening her jaw, she did. 

    “How have you need of me Mother?” The woman smiled and her expression was of the greatest fondness. Fondness she knew would be erased should she know just what she’d done. 

    “Are you done playing with the fish?” 

    “The…fish Mother?”

    “Toying with that young man.” Her breath caught in her throat. 

    “What…young man?” 

    “Seok-jae-ah.” Releasing it, she once again bowed her head. 

    “You have taught me not to play with my food dearest Mother. Toy with him I do not.” At that, she laughed. 

    “It’s been three years Mishil. When are you going to concede? He’s a nice boy.”

    “He has gotten this far from the connections and the position of his father. Rumor has it that he is a drunk and womanizer. Should he wed me, he has that much closer view of the throne, Seo Jun oppa-nim and Cheol-su oppa-nim.”Her mother grew quiet. 

    “We agreed that that name would not be spoken.”

    “He is your son.”

    “He abandoned us!” Her mother hissed, eyes filled with two conflicting emotions. One of anger. One of sadness. 

    “He abdicated his position as Crown Prince when he left to be with that slave woman.” 

    “As far as I know, only the King can approve an abdication. Father has done no such thing.” For a moment, her mother stared at her before smiling, humor devoid from the expression. 

    “Where did I go wrong? Am I that bad of a mother?” She reached across the tray, the heat from the food still warm against her skin and gently took her hand. 

    “You’ve done well Mother. It is to you that my brothers and I have been able to survive this while.”

    “It is natural for a Mother to see her sons well. The desire to see her daughter wed.” She could offer no promises on the matter. 

    “Cheol-su oppa-nim will return. He will put Seo Jun oppa-nim back in his place.”

    “Do you think your father fears him?”

    “Greatly.”

    “And you do not?”

    “I fear what he will do to this country should he takes the Throne. Those who are not on his side he will slay them. Family by blood or not. It will be a path trailed in blood.” Her mother contemplated her words as she let go of her hand. 

    “He will come back. He will not leave us to die by the hands of the Mongols or his brother. I believe that.” With a nod, her mother began to eat, no more pressing her on the matter of marriage, war, or her brothers. With a humble bow, she lifted and slowly left her chambers. 

 

    *** 

 

    “No mentions of him yet?”

    “It’s been three years. Do you really think he’d come back?” 

    “It doesn’t matter anyhow. I’ve done just fine without him.”

    “You can’t truly believe that Taewang-nim.”

    “How dare you!”

    “He is your son. And he is the fated Crown Prince. Something that Seo Jun wangja-nim will never be. You know this to be true.” Aged almond shaped eyes took in the advisor closest to him, one that he’d known for quite a long time. Should he have not, he surely would have been beheaded. 

    “Jeon-ah,”

    “With all due respect sire, I have watched the two of them grow up but only one has the destiny to rise as a phoenix.” The King stayed quiet as the man continued, 

    “Though he be the youngest son, Cheol-su wangja-nim has the empathy, compassion and the maturity to bring this country past the Mongol empire, past the plagues ripping us apart. He has the necessary heart and soul required to be one of the greatest Kings we have yet to see, save for yourself Taewang-nim.”

    “And Seo Jun?”

    “He lacks respect, ability and drive.”

    “He is incompetent.”

    “Yes sire.”

    “Do you think he means to depose me?” That was a tricky question and the answer even trickier. As he lifted his eyes to his King, he knew that the man already knew the answer… deep within. A part of him feared his son…feared them both. Feared the threat they posed to him and the Throne that he’d killed for, coveted and secured for so many years before their birth. 

    “I cannot answer that pyeha. I dare not insinuate something so dangerous.” Pleased at that, the eyes of the man drifted past him for a while. 

    “Should I forgive the son who has abandoned his family and his country? Should I give him a second chance?” The question was unanswered as the advisor only bowed his head further until his forehead touched the ground. 

    “Very well Jeon-ah.” 

 

*** 

 

    Water trickled down the side of the rocks and the spray of mist dared to saturate her cheeks with moisture. Lifting, she turned her eyes towards the heavens. 

    “My lady, shall we return?” Smiling at the young girl, she gave a gentle nod and allowed her to grasp her hand. A cyan blue jeogori was placed across her shoulders and she welcomed the warmth of it. 

    “Did your praying go well my lady?”

    “Yes. It did.”

    “Perhap the Gods will return him to us soon.”

    “I hope so.” The sun blazed bright and ferocious but down here by the mountain the air was cooler aided by the rushing roaring waters. 

    “Let us go.” Smiling at the parasol being lifted above her head, the woman headed towards an awaiting palanquin. 

 

***

 

    “What do you propose we do pyeha?”

    “Ganbaatar and his brutes have been quiet. Too quiet.”

    “I thought they had their sights set on Goryeo.”

    “They haven’t attacked. Perhaps they aren’t interested any longer.” Finally, he had spoken and he sounded even more bored than he had at the start of this meeting. The advisors nearest him looked incredulous. 

    “S-surely you don’t believe that p-pyeha. Ganbaatar is rumored to have Goryeo in his sights, our women said to be prized possessions.” 

    “Perhaps he needs a woman who can pleasure him with all of her orifices. Should he be a man about it and approach me properly, I would certainly give him as many a woman as he desires to have.” 

    “P-pyeha…”

    “Of course the cheonmin and gisaeng would be the first to be offered. They’re animals anyway.” Grinning at the horrified expressions on the faces of those around him, he chuckled. 

    “Should he want gold, celadon, or any other treasure, I will provide that too to him.”

    “You’d give Goryeo to the Mongols without so much as a fight?” The major thorns in his side Yoo-shik and Sang-Ook challenged him, eyes defiant. 

    “Should it prove to save us then yes. I would.”

    “If you think that war is not on the horizon then you are fooled.” Yoo-shik countered, arms crossed. He, however, laughed. 

    “At the absence of his master, the dog grows bold with his barks and howls.” 

    “Pyeha, please. We implore you to think rationally about this.” Sang-Ook tried, tone careful and respectful.

    “I implore you to shut your mouth. Don’t question me you piece of shit.” At that, he bowed his head. Yoo-shik frowned deeper and made no attempt to hide his quite obvious contempt. 

    “It’s been three fucking years. Those bastards are not going to attack. If they wanted to, they could have and would have by now. They are too busy sucking the breast of Song, having now renamed her Yuan.” Grinning, he sighed. 

    “Speaking of breasts,  I’d like to suckle on some so are we finished with this little…gathering?” Everyone bowed their heads as he rose up from the silk pillows. Smirking at his brother’s lap dogs, he pushed past them, deciding to surprise one woman in particular, one who hadn’t been claimed in quite a while. 

    Nearing her chambers, he stood outside and curiously listened to the females within chattering away eagerly. Her laugh he immediately recognized and it sent a warmth straight to his groin.

    “My lady, you have a visitor.”

    “Who?”

    “The firstborn prince.” At that, her laughter ceased and she grew quiet. Soon, the doors slid open and he was granted a view of her. 

    “It’s been a while Jae-Hwa.” She swallowed and beckoned him in. 

    “What do you want?” Leaning back against the wall, he smirked. 

    “Don’t be like that. You act as if Cheol-su is going to stroll in here at any minute.”

    “He might.” The gungnyeo bowed their heads and quickly excused themselves, leaving them in privacy.

    “Having doubts? Feeling guilty sweeting?” He asked, voice laced with humor as he came to kneel behind her. She turned her head away from him but her body relaxed into his touch. 

    “No.”

    “Yes you are.” His lips began to kiss her on the neck. 

    “He left you. You know that right?” She didn’t respond. 

    “He left you to be with an ugly black bitch from another land. He doesn’t deserve you.”

    “And you do? With your string of multiple whores?”

    “All of whom don’t warm my bed quite like you do.”

    “That’s supposed to be a compliment?”

    “Come on now Jae-Hwa.” She pouted as he began to pull her jeogori down her shoulders. 

    “You know I like it when you play hard to get.” A slight smile danced upon her lips but she said nothing as he moved on to her sokjeogori. 

    “You’ve avoided me far too long. Now, I will have you just the way I want.”

    “Is that right pyeha?” 

    “You were and will continue to be my woman. Regardless of my little shit of a brother. He can never take care of your body the way you want and need. That privilege is for me only.” Her pinched fingers were grasped so tightly they had lost color but as he continued his assault, she closed her eyes with a shuddery sigh. Tonight, she’d have him. And he’d be exactly who she needed him to be. He’d be replaced with her heart’s desire. That was the only way she’d survive. 

 

 

*** 

 

    Feet stomped into the ground and the sound of drums was fervent, the fingers that beat upon them seeming to be in a trance. Melodious voices cried out in anguish and impassioned women danced on one accord, ample hips and arms swaying in a seductive manner. Meant to stimulate the blood within the male body, this night and their dancing seemed to be a call upon fertility. He lifted eyes from his cup, having brought it to his mouth. All of the women suddenly threw their bodies down before one woman who made her way towards them. She commanded the breath to exit his lungs, eyes to gaze hungrily, blood to indeed drift below his waist.

    “Sekhemrekhutawy.” Only the voice of the Queen Mother could draw his eyes away from the woman. 

    “Tonight we honor you for your great service to our Kingdom.” He bowed his head, leaning to press his upper body before her in reverence. 

    “Of that I am not worthy Your Highness.” Smiling, she lifted his gaze by way of his chin. 

    “I will honor your requests. Whatever they may be. All you must do is simply make them known.” Swallowing, his eyes found the woman again as she joined in with the others dancing and a soft deep laugh forced them away once more. 

    “Should you wish for her hand, perhaps I shall grant it.” 

    “I am not worthy. Truly.” She took her hand away from his chin and lifted her cup to her smiling lips, those eyes full of a thousand and one years of knowledge and wisdom. 

    “I will determine that. Not you.” Once again, his head bowed.

    “Of course Queen Mother.”  Pleased with his answer, she gave another short chuckle and beckoned him to eat, drink, enjoy the festivities. As he turned back to face the animated dancers, his gaze caught hers. An unexplainable emotion tightened his throat and sent a warm flutter across his chest. It was finally here. He’d have everything he wanted. 






Chapter End Notes:

A/N: HEYYYYYYY Y'ALLLLLLLLLLL! WHEW CHILE IT'S BEEN WHAT TWO MONTHS? I HAD TO TAKE A BREAK LOL. I want to thank the K-Drama My Country: New Age for the inspiration that struck me to write! If you have never heard of it, y'all... seriously. WATCH IT. It's  set in late Goryeo period (PERFECT RIGHT? I COULDN'T HAVE ASKED FOR A MORE FITTING DRAMA) early Joseon. It's starring two 'rookie male actors Yang Se Jong and Woo Do Hwan (both of which are scrumptious lol). They left a powerful impression on me in their protrayals of Hwi and Nam Seon-ho. 

We have skipped three years and we start the chapter with jerkface-I mean- Seo Jun being vomit worthy as usual. He makes no sense and I'm convinced that his brain is completely FRIED from all that opium he be smoking. He wanna be King but he doesn't care about his country at all. The King still being a wimp (and it's going to cost him should he continue) and Cheol-su been living his best life in Kush y'all lol. He even has a new name? *cue wide eyed emoji* Whew. I had a vacation this the prior week so I've literally been writing my booty off lol. Like a chapter a day almost lol. The creative bug hit me hard lol. This month I start school on the 24th so hopefully before then I will write more! 

On Wattpad, they are hosting a writing contest where the winner will have an opportunity to have their winning piece published (among other things) and I've entered Forever Sea into it! I am also considering entering Yeonwang into the contest too but I am also planning to add Yeonwang and Forever Sea into my anthology series. So, not sure what will happen. Either way, pray for me y'all hehe.  

I am gonna add a couple more chapters for your reading pleasure because it's been so long hehe. See you there!

 

D&L







Enter the security code shown below:
Note: You may submit either a rating or a review or both.

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.