Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:


Seumulahop


twenty-nine




Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


 

    The smell of the seas refreshed her lungs and with a smile, she inhaled her fill of it. Looking out across the spans of it, she sighed. The wind whipped her hair, unbound and unbraided, around taking with it the scent of sage and honey. 

    “Tiye,” Turning, she found her husband behind her, dressed in a crimson and cream hanbok, gat hiding his face from the sun. 

    “I’m…I’m sorry that this…that we-” He struggled, eyes falling away from her, guilt flashing in them. 

    “Why do you feel guilt? You’ve not wronged me.” 

    “I know…it’s…it’s just that we’re heading back into hell when we’ve fought so hard to have the heavens.” At the analogy, she smiled and drew close to him. Fingering the multicolored beads that hung down from the horse hair hat, she lifted her eyes to his. 

    “My heavens is anywhere you are. There…there will be fine so long as I remain in your possession.” He swallowed thickly and took hold of her hands, pressing them against his chest. 

    “You left Goryeo enslaved. You will not return that way.” Lifting on her tip toes, she pressed a kiss to the corner of his mouth, accepting a full one a moment later. 

    “I have trust in you dear one.”

    “Shall we return to the others?” He asked, a hand tenderly gliding across her hair. 

    “Mm.” His arm encircled her waist as they drifted back into the ocean of people, the heckling and cat calling soon growing distant. 

 

 

*** 

 

    

    “So, the time has finally come when you shall leave us.” Sitting there in the wait chambers, much like he did when first arriving he bowed his head below the Kandaka. 

    “It is with deep sadness and regret that I do so Queen Mother.” The woman sat above them on elevated pillows, eyes drifting from him to her daughter. She said nothing for a while, simply observing them. 

    “Why? Why do you leave at all? Must you return to the land that cast you both into oppression?” Though she asked, she knew the reason…his sense of duty…homesickness….his desire and destiny to lead his people. She knew it all. And yet, a part of her couldn’t help but be the tiniest bit selfish. 

    “My people need me Highness.” The simplest answer he could give and it was one that she accepted. With a very small sigh. 

    “I trust your judgement on the matter. I trust your abilities. However, there is one thing I demand of you.” 

    “Yes Highness.” 

    “Give me your word that my daughter will not be placed back into chains.” For a moment, he remained bowed but when he did lift his head, his eyes were fiery with conviction. 

    “I give you my word. Tiye will no more be an enslaved woman. Her destiny is greater than that.” Understanding formed between the two and she clicked her tongue, signaling the end of that topic. 

    “I will be sending Anat and some other servants with you on this journey. She and Tiye are the same age, have been raised together and can attend to her needs. I doubt the women in your lands know how to care for her hair, body and well being. It is so ordered.”

    “So shall it be.” He agreed, bowing his head once more. 

    “This…threat to your lands. In what way can Kush be of assistance?” At that, he licked his lips, eyes lifting to her feet which were clothed in gold. 

    “I dare not ask you to involve yourself in the affairs of my people Highness.” 

    “Nonsense.” She dismissed with a wave of her hand. 

    “While marrying Tiye was an action motivated by the rarity of love, it was also a political move. You have inherited Kush by way of her. Have you need, we will answer the call.” Both mother and daughter watched as he once more lifted his head and this time, he sat upright, eyes firm. 

    “I trust you have heard of a people called the Mongols?” 

    “I have not. Who are they?”

    “They are a civilization known for their brutality, lack of compassion and disregard for humanity. In the Asian region, they are very well feared and are wreaking havoc amongst other civilizations.” 

    “How is this related to your motherland?” 

    “They have wiped out our once ally of Songchao. Desiring to further their expansion, they have next had their eyes on my country of Goryeo.” Nodding, the Queen motioned for him to continue. 

    “The Mongolian people are highly intelligent and they are masters of guerrilla warfare.”

    “Thus?”

    “Should you be so gracious to grant it…I would humbly ask that you allow warriors of Kush to enter Goryeo. Our similarities as well as our differences will benefit both Kingdoms should we allow their causes to be one and the same.” Pursing her lips, the Kandaka glanced at her daughter who for the first time bowed her head before her, pressing her face to the ground on behalf of her husband’s request. 

    “Very well. I shall accept your plea. It is so ordered on the condition that they too exist outside of chains. Once their mission is complete, I expect to receive them back into Kush’s bosom.”

    “As you wish it Highness.”  

    “Good then. Tiye, how do you feel on this matter? About it all?” At that, she lifted her head and sat upright, comfortably. 

    “Goryeo is a land that produces bittersweet emotions. However, she has given me Cheol-su and for that I will forever be indebted. I am glad to say that the people I’ve met and befriended there…they are a special part of my life and I wish to see them prosper. It pleases me that Kush and Egypt opened up their arms to receive Cheol-su…just as those of his people opened their arms to me.” Eyes falling onto him, her cheeks grew a becoming shade of red. 

    “My place is with my husband. Should he go to the ends of the earth there I will be behind him. Should he go to the underworld I will follow him.” Her statements produced butterflies in his stomach and he felt an intense love melt him. 

    “When it is that Osiris weighs his heart, he shall see that Cheol-su has lived as a man of honor, truth, strength and fairness. His heart is good. His spirit is good. And therefore, he shall be blessed.” 

    “Your words, my love, are sweet as honey. I humbly accept them into my heart with gladness.” His own cheeks produced a light pink coloring and it humored the Queen. She didn’t take him as one to blush like a boy realizing his first love. It was endearing to see that the love he felt for her daughter was solid, strong and visible. 

    “I shall make the proper arrangements for your journey ahead. You two should prepare as well.”

    “Yes Highness.” As she watched them leave, a deep sadness pierced her spirit. There would be joys, victories and bliss that the two would share. But, heartbreak, sorrow and death would follow in its wake. Of that, she felt grieved. They were young, in love and had power unlike anything the world had seen…when together. Because of that, there would be those who would try to break it, break them and sever all ties between them. She could only hope and pray as a mother…that Tiye knew just what she was getting herself into. She prayed that they would overcome all the odds, predictions and omens. Tears began to wet her face and in silence, she wept. Protect them Amanikhatashan. Guide and cover them my dearest love. 

 

 

*** 

 

    

    It took three weeks to prepare. Provisions had been made for the servants, soldiers and all else who would accompany them. Several of the provided ship routes were weeded out and only the safest was chosen. Strenuous competition between Kush’s best archers, those with knowledge of the spear and sword took place as well. Only the best of the best were going. As for the sisters, they dutifully stayed in the Temples, praying for their safe passage and well being. When the day came, they all made their way to Adulis. Lips kissed her face, tears fell upon her cheeks and arms wrapped tight around her as if to never let go. Her younger sisters wept while the eldest ones glanced upon them eyes strong yet teary. 

    “Sekhemrekhutawy.” Eyes full of emotion, they rose to meet Shen-pe-uts-neter. 

    “You will return. Won’t you?”

    “It is my desire to do so. However, I can’t say when that time will be.” He answered honestly, throat and jaw tight. 

    “We are entrusting our sister to you. Protect her with every breath you breathe.” 

    “I will.” Satisfied with his answer, she gave a nod. 

    “Now that you’ve gotten everything you’ve come here for you’re leaving.” Diogenes scowled as he came forward. 

    “Still don’t trust me hm? Here I thought we were at least making progress as aquaintances.” The large giant of a man hissed his teeth and to Cheol-su it humored him which was the complete opposite of the effect he was going for. 

    “Return to us my sister in one piece. For if you do not, Osiris will not even be able to save your soul.” Cheol-su grinned, bowing his head.

    “Duly noted Great Pharaoh of the Nile.”

    “Hm.” Was all he was given as he gave Tiye a last hug and kiss to her temple. 

    “He’s going to miss you. He just doesn’t have the guts to say so.” Chem-tat-ef and Aimenamun grinned, coming to clasp hands with him. 

    “Take care brother.”

    “Yeah may the Gods protect you in your journey.”

    “Thank you brothers. Take care of the sisters and the Queen Mother.” Lastly, they made way for the Kandaka who approached them with her shoulders held back, head high and lips pursed. In the sunlight, her skin shone like the finest ebony. 

    “Sweet one, don’t let this be the last I see of you.” Tears welled up in her eyes and at once, she pressed her face against her bosom. 

    “It won’t be Mama. I will only be gone for a little while yet.” 

    “Promise?”

    “I promise.” 

    “Very good.” Kissing both of her cheeks, she smiled and let her go, choosing to hug Sekhemrekhutawy. His hands politely pressed against her shoulders and she closed her eyes, feeling the language of his heart bleed into her body. 

    “Be well son from another breast. Be well and return well.” 

    “I will Queen Mother.” His voice was strong as it replied, gentle enough to make her smile. Letting go, she made a hiss with her teeth, signaling her countrymen to begin boarding the vessel. Obediently, they all filed aboard. At last, they all watched as Sekhemrekhutawy took hold of Tiye’s hand. Together, they bowed and he began to help her up onto the boardwalk. Once she disappeared past the entrance, he turned one more time and before them all bowed deeply. Then, he too disappeared. 

 

*** 

 

 

 

    “Do you doubt your brother? Is that why you are here yet again before me?” Clutching her fingers together, she moved not, having pressed her face against the floor in a bow. 

    “Oppa-nim has not shone examples of his trustworthiness. Instead, he chooses to be a drunkard, gambler, womanizer and lover of pleasure.” All were true, therefore, the King could not refute. He eyed his daughter who had requested him to demote Seo Jun from his position in the military. 

    “Do you doubt me then, as your King, to make intelligent decisions?” She was slower to answer. 

    “No, pyeha. Please don’t mistake me.”

    “Why is it that my beautiful daughter has her face to the ground? Lift up your eyes. Look at me freely.” She did at once and he breathed a sigh of relief. 

    “Your concerns. I understand them. However, Seo Jun has done no wrong by me. He may be getting a bit out of hand and for that I will reign him back in a tad. He should not be denied pleasures of the world. He too is a son of dragons.”

    “And if his love of pleasure is at the expense of Goryeo?” He leaned back in his Throne. 

    “Elaborate dearest.” 

    “It is no secret that talk of Oppa-nim’s activities swarm the halls of court like angry bees. It is a wonder what is being said throughout the ranks.” Lowering her chin, she dropped her eyes. 

    “My concern Father…is the disgrace and embarrassment he brings to you. He is a direct reflection of you. Should you continue to allow him to behave with no consequences there will be no respect for you as King. The people will begin to lose respect and obedience. Thus, putting you at risk.” Of dethronement. It was not said. But it hung in the air like a wisp of wind. 

    “You are filled with such filial love my daughter. I appreciate you for coming to see me out of concern for your older brother.” His tone of voice suggested that the conversation was done and she bit the inside of her cheek as she bowed her head once again. Gathering her chima in her hands, she left, eyes filling with a cold determination. 

 

 

*** 

 

    In the wee hours of the morning, guards patrolling spotted a figure lurking just outside the Palace. Still dark in the sky, eyes squinted as breath formed as mist in the air. A light snow had fallen through the night and with it brought the first snow of winter. 

    “Dwi, should we make the official alert?” Dwi roused, eyes that should have been open had been closed and he groggily rubbed at them, blowing hot air from his mouth into his hands. 

    “Who?” 

    “Wake up you bastard. Should Chief catch you, we’re dead meat!” The hard slap to his head woke him up and he groaned, sucking his teeth. 

    “Hey! You wanna die prick?!” 

    “Look, there it is again!” Turning angry eyes towards Han-gyeol’s finger, he squinted. 

    “Did it multiply while I was sleeping? It looks like two figures now.”

    “No, I saw one before.” 

    “Before we alarm everyone, let’s try to take care of it ourselves. We’ll see what they want.”

    “Wait… Send one of the younger ones.” Dwi grinned suddenly. 

    “Sure, send them to their death first. Fucking jerk.” He said with a chuckle, reaching for his bow and arrow. 

    “That just wouldn’t be nice now would it? Besides, if they die, that’ll leave more of a mess for us to clean up. We’ll handle this. Come on.” They stepped down from the watch tower with a few of the other guards, heading towards the East gate’s doors. 

    “Draw your arrows. Do not fire until I give the command.”

    “Yes sir.” Two of the underlings opened the door. The figure was still dark but he could make out the outline of a gat and hanbok. 

    “What purpose do you have here? Identify yourself.” He ordered, having drawn his sword. 

    “It is I, Wang Cheol-su. I have returned home.” The man answered and he took a step forward, causing the guards to draw up their arrows tighter. 

    “Don’t move!” Yet the man ignored the command, stepping into the light, given by the fire’s light. It cast an orange glow across his features, drawing gasps from the men. 

    “Sir…” Dwi walked up to him, needing to get a good look at his face. When he had, he immediately sheathed his sword and commanded the archers to disarm. Voice shaky and full of disbelief, he fell before him in a bow. 

    “F-Forgive us p-pyeha. We didn’t know it was you.”  

    “The security surely hasn’t slacked off since I’ve been gone. That’s a relief. Tiye, you can come out now.” To their shock, the woman came out from amongst the shadows. 

    “I know it’s unexpected to see me like this. You’re forgiven. Will you move aside that we may enter?” 

    “A-At once pyeha.” The men moved out of the way, heads bowed. 

    “Come Tiye. Let’s retire.”

    “As you wish.” Eyes watched as the Crown Prince and his woman made their way past the watch tower and neared his chambers.






Chapter End Notes:

A/N: I know it's short lol. But here are all of my updates I had so far!! I started to work on chapter 30 and am continuing as we speak hehe. Hopefully, the next time I update, I can treat y'all to two (maybe even three hehe). Alas, our Prince and Princess have returned to Goryeo and it is met with bittersweet emotions. The King is as cowardly as ever and soon it shall catch up to him. There are those who will rejoice at Cheol-su's return and those who will inwardly loathe it. Mishil is up to something and we will see what she has up her sleeve. And as for Seo Jun and Jae-hwa? We'll catch up with all of our characters in this return to Goryeo arc soon!! I gotta head out and head to the time clock!! Love you guys and thank you so much for the support, comments, love and everything! Y'all so beautiful! God bless y'all!! See y'all soon! 

D&L <3

 

Pictures: 

Cheol-su's fits 

 







Enter the security code shown below:
Note: You may submit either a rating or a review or both.

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.