Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:


 


Seoreunyeoseot


thirty-six


** GRAPHIC DEPICTION OF DEATH** 




Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


 

    “Pyeha, please! Don’t do th-” Blood sprayed across his face and eyes looked down at the wide terror filled eyes, gurgling wet mouth and sliced open neck. Smirking, he eyed another one of his so-called soldiers. The bastard had tried to run. How could he call himself a man? How could he abandon his duty? He wasn’t loyal. None of them were. Turning towards the man, he began to laugh as he attempted to run away. He’d deal with all of these little insects first. And then, he’d move up to the bigger ones. 

 

 

*** 

 

    The sound of a horse brought their attention toward the doors, still under orders to be closed. Slim nervous hands clutched themselves together and breath could not come fast enough. The sound of feet hitting the dirt happened next and firm eyes looked across at the three young women hugging each other, stiff with fear. 

    “Mother,”  That got her attention and she let her eyes fall back onto the closed door. 

    “I will have Mishil brought here to you. Tiye will escort her.” Cheol-su? She bit the inside of her cheek as she listened quietly. 

    “I don’t know where Father is. Or where Seo Jun is. For now, stay here. When it is safe, we will send for you.” Feet walked away and the horse soon left them. With her stern gaze, she bid the young women not to speak. Her own throat tight, she glanced down at her hands. All of this was a nightmare. She’d known it had been coming. But to be so swift and sudden. What would have happened if Cheol-su had not returned to us? What if he had’ve stayed in the foreign land? Swallowing, she inhaled and exhaled through her nostrils and closed her eyes, listening to the breathing of her maids and the occasional step of the guards outside. She’d keep them closed until she was certain that she could wake and all be right again. 

 

*** 

 

    The unnamed stallion’s hooves pounded against the ground and his hair whipped almost wildly around him. Long ago he’d lost his hair ribbon. It didn’t matter. What did, however, was his brother’s location. Something was not sitting right in his stomach. How he had just disappeared. He pressed the stallion in the direction of the east gate. This side curiously seemed to not have any invaders…lest they be the slain bodies he galloped past in his arrival. Licking dry lips, he scanned the scenes in front of him, his heart growing fast. Those…those weren’t Mongols. The labored beast’s breath came fast and hard through his nose and he at once slowed him, a firm pat against his neck. 

    “Good boy. I know I’ve pushed you.” Close enough by the gate, he dismounted and again gave the horse thanks before venturing closer. Fingers slid around the hilt of a geom and he steadied it in his hands as he approached. Looking behind him at times, he inhaled hard through his nostrils. This side had been completely left unarmed, bodies littered the length of the wall. Jaw tight, he knelt beside a cluster and lifted the neck of one. He froze. The man’s eyes had been gouged and his cheeks cut at the sides of his mouth almost to give an eerie sick elongated smile. Dropping eyes down, he recognized the uniform of their army. Letting the neck of the man go, he crouched there beside yet another one of their men. His mouth had been opened, a sword shoved up and out from the back of his head, his tongue sliced clean through there at the end of the blade. Eyes still wide as if he’d just been attacked. His eyes misted with tears as he lifted to close his unseeing terrified ones. This wasn’t the style of the Mongols. None of these men he had come across had died by the hands of the invaders. Throat tight, he stood still and stiff. Setting eyes on the Eastern gates which had been strewn open, his gaze hardened with fury. Seo-Jun. 

 

*** 

 

    “We’ve had to retreat. Do you think to make us an embarrassment?” Lips smiled. 

    “Today we shall give the victory to my pig headed little brother. Let him have his praise.”

    “For what reason?”

    “Now now, don’t become so antsy. We must do things in order and in decency shouldn’t we?” The man grit his teeth, eyes gliding over the Goryeo prince. 

    “Should you not keep your end of the bargain, I shall slice your throat and wear your innards for decoration.” 

    “And should you not keep yours I shall decorate my palace with the heads of your men.” The two of them stared at each other before laughing, hands coming to slap each other on the back. 

    “It is a pity you were not Mongolian. You’d be my best captain.” Grinning, he said nothing as they reclined in chairs made from the skin of sheep and bone of ox. 

    “We’ve done enough. Your soldiers need to rest. We have a bigger battle ahead of us.” Leaning back, he welcomed a goblet of wine and horse blood, Goryeo and Mongolia…graciously accepting it down his throat. Interesting to say the least and yet something about it intoxicating. Grinning, he motioned for another pour. There was yet another day, another chance. He would not stop until he succeeded. When that time came, should he feel up to it, he’d allow the Mongols residency here. Should he not, they too would fall by his sword. That was the thrilling game of life. 

 

 

*** 

 

 

     Sweat slid down her back and beaded at her temples. Another slap to the neck of her mare. They’d gotten far enough from the palace to breathe but not further away yet as to let one’s guard down. Turning her head, she glanced back at Mishil, who like her, rode ferociously on a mare. 

    “Do you thirst?” She shouted loudly over the pound of the hooves. 

    “Let’s keep forward.” Her reply. Very well. Readjusting her sight in front and to the side of her, she swallowed thickly. Their conversation spun like a top inside of her head, over and over again. At first she was hesitant. Untrusting. She couldn’t help but be… not after everything they had been through together. But it was her eyes…they told a truth that not even her mouth could utter. She’d been betrayed. She’d been robbed. She’d had her entire spirit crushed into tiny little pieces. And she wanted to get even. The sheer fury that rested in her eyes had mirrored the same in her own eyes once. The desire to squeeze the life from him rested in her delicate fingers. Now they both understood one another. There was no way that she could in good conscience forsake her. Up ahead, there was a fork in the road on the path and greenery in forms of swirling leaves. 

    “Which way?” She shouted back in Mishil’s direction. 

    “Left.” Leading them left, she gave another slap to the mare. They would have to stop for drink. She could tell that her horse was growing fatigued from the distance. Scanning the distance, she spot a stream up ahead, eyes turning to see Mishil following behind. Guiding the animal into a slowed gallop, she soon came to the water source and the horse all but dipped her head beneath the surface. Dismounting, she gently thanked her with a pat to the neck and turned to see Mishil’s mare drinking to her heart’s content. 

    Things were quiet between them, a tangible tension yet. Like a finely wound thread it was sure to snap until she spoke. 

    “Don’t you think it’s odd that this road was left unaccompanied?” She hadn’t thought to ask the question but she more than sure had thought it. Licking her lips, she watched as the mare continued to drink. 

    “What was his reason for doing so I wonder.” 

    “Perhaps in his rash fleeing he didn’t think that any would come after him.” She assumed she was speaking about her father. She couldn’t be more wrong. Not anyone, not even her own husband knew….but the Gods had visited her in dreams nights before this day. In the dreams she saw Seo Jun. She saw him with blood on his hands. It pooled underneath his feet and at the sight of it all around him he grinned like a demon. Sooner or later he would try to usurp the throne. His greed was so great even she felt it in her slumber.  She didn’t dare share that with Cheol-su… not yet anyway. 

    “How will he handle this? Your father?” Mishil sighed and swallowed thickly. 

    “He is the leader of this country. Naturally, he must take it back.” 

    “How?” 

    “I don’t know.” Her answer was sharp. Frustrated. She left it alone and decided to take a drink herself. She wasn’t any good to anyone dehydrated. Mishil followed suit but soon, the sound of crying sprung up from the splash of the water below. Slowly lifting, she went to kneel down beside the weeping girl. 

    “I’ll get you to the palace safely. Don’t worry.” 

    “Eonnie…I…I just want this all to stop. I want this to be a dream…” 

    “I know. Me too.”

    “What if...what if Cheol-su oppa and Seo Jun oppa can’t stop them? What if…what if they take Goryeo?” Wrapping her arms around her tighter, she closed her eyes. 

    “One thing I know about Cheol su is this: He never surrenders. He will give his last breath to ensure that his people are safe and sound.” Mishil didn’t say a word, she just lifted up and wiped her tears. That a girl. Giving a small friendly smile, she wiped away a stray one. 

    “It’s time to move. The more we linger the more we put ourselves in danger.” Standing, she helped her stand and like before the two were off. 

 

*** 

 

    Death choked the once vibrant colors of the palace. All around his feet laid blood, severed limbs, bodies torn open. Innards and smashed brains. Already the hungry crows and scavengers began to feast, picking at the skin of some and plucking the dangly bits of eyeballs from others. He managed to stomach the sight, barely… 

    As he meandered through he froze in his tracks. It was the women from the harem that made him finally vomit and he in his ferocity nearly tripped over a corpse. Eyes releasing tears, they squeezed shut trying to erase the images crashing into him at the speed of light. 

 

     He fell to his knees, spilling more vomit that seemed to mingle with the blood beneath his hands. Tears streamed down his cheeks and he lifted his head, eyes up ahead. There lied his mother and sister, bodies naked and mutilated. Nipples had been cut off and a large blunt object had been shoved up into their vaginas. 

 

    Fisting the dirt beneath his fingers, he felt his stomach roll one last time before lifting a sleeve of his hanbok to his mouth. What was once a dream had materialized in the physical realm and it sent chills down his spine. He didn’t have time to grieve…didn’t have time to process what was and wasn’t. Gathering the bits of vomit still from his throat, he spit it out and slowly stood.

     Eyes still watery, he glanced down at the female bodies. Their hanbok had been ripped, torn or cut open. Remnants of male ejaculation covered now stiff hard skin, pulled apart braids and lips. Legs had been forced apart and the brutality of the penetration in some evidenced by swollen outer lips and blood still wet. The handles of their eunjangdocould be seen, the blade itself shoved up into their insides. Eyes were lifeless and yet the palpable fear of violation still remained frozen forever in some. Slender necks had been sliced and strangled and hands held air, swords and arrows. 

    Throat heavy and thick with unshed emotion, he knelt and closed their eyes one by one, closing what of their hanbok remained. Taking the cast aside daenggi telling of their innocence and girlhood, he gathered what of their hair he could and tied it once more. Sniffing quietly, he stood and tightened his jaw. Without a second more wasted, he got onto his horse and pushed on. He needed to find Yooshik. To his luck, he spotted him amongst the bodies of slain soldiers. Swiftly dismounting, he ran towards him. 

    “Yooshik!” Lifting a finger he pressed it by his nose. A puff of air warmed his skin. Thank the Gods. He was alive. He was hanging on by a thread. He could see that his arm had been slashed and from the looks of it he wasn’t sure that it would be able to be salvaged. His armor had been split in two and his bare chest was exposed, a deep gash from collarbone to navel. He grabbed what he could to blot at the blood, lifting distraught eyes upward. It hurt to breathe but the relief knowing he was alive lessened the almost jittery movements of his fingers. 

    “You’re not allowed to die. I won’t allow you to leave like this.” He spoke, voice finally starting to belie his emotion. The man didn’t answer but his breath did and that was all mattered. 

    “Pyeha!” Twisting his head, he saw one of Yooshik’s subordinates run towards them. 

    “Are the men safe?” Are they alive?

    “Some sire.” Some was better than none. 

    “Hae-ssi?”

    “She’s alive sire.” Breathing a sigh of relief, he gave a firm nod. 

    “My father?” 

    “Reports affirm that he has made it to the palace hideout.” 

    “Find the medical staff and take Yooshik to get treated.” 

    “As for you sire?”

    “The country will not go a day without a king.” The man’s eyes grew wide as he stood. 

    “Should those bastards decide to venture further in, they shall meet their deaths. Send troops to scour the entire premises. Should you find any alive, imprison them.”

    “Yes sire.”  Turning, he mounted his horse. Once Yooshik had been taken, he set off nice and easy into the bowels of the palace. Dismounting one last time, he grabbed his sword and stepped up each step. Face hard and jaw tight, he shoved open the doors to the throne room. Palace guards and attendants lay dead. 

 

    Bodies of guards, court officials, gungnyeo and other noblemen and woman lay strewn the floor, arms, feet, fingers, ears, even heads thrown about.

 

    It was eerily quiet, the silence threatened to choke him. Fingers tight on the hilt of his geom, he slowly stepped inside. The entirety of the room was empty, no such intruder to be seen. Focusing eyes ahead onto the throne, he only tightened his hand. The rich crimson, breathtaking jades, blues and even yellows stared back at him. The steps upward were pristine and solid and yet the throne itself, tipped with the fierce golden wings of the phoenix was empty. For the first time in his life, he had never seen such a thing. It deeply disturbed him. 

    Lifting eyes to the murals behind it, that of the five hills of heaven and the sun and moon, he slowly let his arms relax. Bringing the sword down slightly, he turned towards the massacre before him. Blood covered the floor; stained the pillows and splattered across the individual tables of court. Letting his arm rest completely, he took a shaky breath. Nervousness thrummed through him like a string of the gayageum. He reached back, feeling the arm of the throne beneath his fingers. Tightening his grip, he took another unsteady breath and took a step back as to sit. 

    “You have some nerve little brother.” Freezing, he met a twisted grin and amused eyes. Instantly, his grew hard and chilly. 

    “Seo Jun…” 

    “Disrespectful little shit. The least you could do is address me properly.” 

    “I respect only those who have earned it.” Those lips sneered. 

    “Is that something you learned in Tiye’s savage world?” It wasn’t the question that caused him to drop his sword and draw an arrow instead…it was the simple fact that he’d said her name… breathed her name. The action humored him so much he laughed, the sound of it condescending. 

    “You’re so predictable. One mention of her and your balls stick together.” He chose not to answer, though the reply was dying to leave his tongue. He simply stood still, arms pulling the arrow back nice and taunt. 

    “Have you heard of our father’s whereabouts?” 

    “Have you?”

    “Obviously not or else I wouldn’t have asked you.” He let that go and hissed the next question. 

    “Why did you murder your own men?” His sneer morphed into something that made his blood grow cold. It was sinister. Devilish, it possessed his entire face. 

    “Is not the punishment for desertion death?” He held fast to his arrow, loosening the pull just a tad. 

    “Those bastards deserved to die. They betrayed their king and their country. I did them a favor.” 

    “You enjoy the kill.” He said voice frosty, watching as his brother’s smile confirmed his statement. 

    “Perhaps even more than the hunt itself. The act of catching one’s prey is…intoxicating.” He felt nausea twist his stomach. 

    “To have them powerless…knowing you can crush them any such way you desire…it’s exhilarating.” 

    “So that’s what this is to you. What they are to you. Animals to be hunted.” He didn’t spare any disgust from his voice and it only made his brother laugh. 

    “You have the nerve to stand there as if you earned it.” 

    “I have. I’ve earned every fucking right.” 

    “I can’t say abandoning the king, your country and your family for three years is earning it.” His face went cold and Seo Jun snickered. 

    “You were living it up in her land weren’t you? It’s okay you can tell me. We’re brothers right? Everyday must have been paradise. Not having anyone to tell you what you could or could not do.”

    “Don’t assume shit about what it was like.” 

    “Ah yes and then there’s Tiye.” He spoke as if his statements went in one ear and out. He clenched his jaw so tight that the muscle bulged out and his nostrils visibly flared. 

    “Away from everyone to oppose you, I’m sure you had plenty of…pleasurable nights.” 

     His arm drew his arrow back nice and tight once more, fury making his eyes glow. 

    “We’re in the middle of a war and yet you waste your breath talking about a woman.” He snarled, the very thought of it infuriating him even more. 

    “She’s not just any woman. She’s your woman.” Those lips teased a smirk. 

    “Enough of this tit-for-tat.” 

    “Oh? I thought we were just getting started.”

    “It’s because of my allegiance to the Princess of Kush that we had the manpower. Think whatever the fuck you want about me. But I will not allow you to disrespect her or her people. You should be kneeling before them thanking them for saving your mistake of a life.” There, for once he was quiet, that disgusting smirk widening on his face. 

    “We both shall stand post here and defend the throne until it is safe for Father to return.” Seo Jun’s eyebrows shot up into his hairline and for once his smirk faltered.     

    “Together?” Standing down, he lowered his arrow with a tight jaw. Was there no other choice in the matter? At the moment, he could think of none. And what a price had been paid.

    “Together.” 

 

 

***

 

    The sound of hooves made them all grow still and hushed, sets of eyes on the door in front of them. 

    “We will not let any harm come to you Your Majesty.” Her guards stood tight, weapons drawn. Waiting. Knowing that at any moment it could go wrong and they would perish. Knowing that they all could. The very thought was terrifying. But she was the Queen of Goryeo. She would not surrender it so easily. 

    “Highness….”

    “Shh.” From the sound of it more than one horse made its way closer and closer to the gates, her eyes drifting closed as she took a deep breath. Ears listened as the beat of the hooves ceased. Yet there was no scrape of sword or whizz of arrow. No loud protest or no other sound of battle. Voices spoke and then it grew quiet. Opening her eyes, her breathing remained calm though her heart began to pound in her chest. She heard the guards move away from the door and clenched her fists. The door slid back and her eyes met not an intruder but…her own daughter. Eyes grew wide and she at once stood. 

    “Mishil?” Poor thing, her eyes were watery but she tried to remain composed, giving a brave smile instead and a nod. 

    “Come child…come.” In she came and the two shared a tight hug. 

    “How did you get here? I waited and waited for you and you never came.”

    “The servants who were to take me were killed and I had to hide in the palace.” At last, her own eyes revealed her fear and worry and she hugged her daughter closer. 

    “Thank the Gods you are safe.”

    “It is thanks to Tiye-eonnie.” At that, she slowly pulled away from her, confusion deeply set in her face. 

    “Tiye…eonnie? Cheol-su’s plaything?”

    “Royal concubine.” She corrected, letting her arms fall away from her. 

    “You mean his whore.” Both sets of eyes turned to see Jae-hwa standing, arms crossed and lips tight and thin. Mishil returned the look with a glance of disgust and pinched lips. 

    “Since when did you two…” Her question was cut short as Tiye walked in. The tension in the room could have been cut with a blade but she only meekly bowed her head in respect of the Queen. One who did not look too enthused. 

    “…get so close?” 

    “She saved me from the invaders. She’s enabled me to reach you safely…putting her own life on the line to do so. I think that deserves respect where respect is due.”

    “You sure it’s not because she’s Cheol-su’s bedwarmer? How can we even be sure that she’s really loyal to anyone but him?” 

    “Shut up.” The hiss came from Mishil and all even her mother looked shocked. Walking right up to her, she leaned in against her ear. 

    “I could air all of your laundry right here and now. With what I know, it would not only embarrass you but ruin your life. If you were smart, you would shut the hole in your face.” Jae-hwa instantly paled eyes averting her own steely gaze. 

    “Well…I thank you musor-I…I mean Tiye-ssi. Thank you for saving my daughter.” Said woman only bowed her head in a deeper bow and soon lifted her head, a small smile sent their way, brief but cold glance towards Jae-hwa. 

    “Have you received word from the King?” She asked, eyes turned back towards the queen. 

    “He is somewhere in the palace. Not even the Queen is to know his whereabouts. Once the threat subsides, he will return to deal with the intruders.” 

    “When do you think that will be?”

    “It is hard to tell.”

    “Make yourself comfortable eonnie. We’ll be here a while.” At the short nod towards her, she swallowed what little saliva was left in her mouth and sat down nearest the door, her bow, arrows and eunjangdo within reach. Closing her eyes, she tried to slow her thudding heart. Anat..she didn’t know where she was… Hae either. Taking a deep breath, she tried to calm herself. Both Anat and Hae were more than capable in battle. She shouldn’t worry. They all would be reunited soon. As for Cheol-su….she had the most faith in him. Sit here she would until he came to fetch them all. That was all she could do at this point. 

 






Chapter End Notes:

A/N: HIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII GUYSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS! OH HOW I HAVE MISSED YOU! So funny story, it took me not having internet for a day to FORCE me to write this. Now, I know that might NOT be funny but listen lol. Y'all know how bad my writer's block get when I'm almost done with a story LOL. It be B-A-D! lol. I've felt so proud of myself and happy to bring you guys some updates to Yeonwang! I know you guys have been asking and I've BEEN wanting to write believe me I have! I have a two chapter update for you hehe. I can't make any promises of course but my goal was to finish Yeonwang by the end of this year. So I have like two and a half months left LOL. No pressure right? lol. I'm not gonna rush it though. If I finish I finish. If not then I'll finish in 2022! haha. I love you guys! Thank you for continuing to support and love on me. *le sniff* 

Can I say that I love this alliance Mishil and Tiye have going? Like two BAMF's together just scheming and plotting LOL. LOVE TO SEE IT. Never woulda thought it but it's happening and I'm not complaining lol. Let's talk about Mishil's complete check of Jae-hwa LOL. That was *chef's kiss* LOL. I know Seo Jun dances on y'all nerves and he dances on mine lol. Trust me. When I tell you his end is so close I CAN TASTE IT and I'm the writer LOL. Just trust the process. 

Okay let's go to the next update hehe. 

DL~








Enter the security code shown below:
Note: You may submit either a rating or a review or both.

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.