Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

 

thirty-eight 

 

Seoreunyeodeol 

 

 




Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


 

Feet marched and the air was quiet…solemn. Eyes stared ahead and the clear tinkle of the bell seemed to pierce the soul. The monks were first, then the shamans clearing the path of any lingering bad energy. Up ahead there laid the prepared ground, ground that had been prayed over and one he was assured would provide those laid to rest safe passage to the otherworld. The King did not accompany him. Nor did his brother or any other member of the royal family. No, he walked this procession with just a few. Turning eyes to the side and down, he looked at the woman walking beside him, expression matching his. 

    They’d reunited only days ago. Brought to him by his father’s guards, he hadn’t let her go for the longest time, just inhaling her scent and feeling her warm little body against his. He thanked the Gods….he thanked Ra and even B’sst for her safe return. She stood still as he examined her face and didn’t object to his eyes and hands searching her in the bath they shared later that night. Their reunion was sweet and laborious and the fatigue he felt upon rising the morning after proved worth it. 

    He’d gladly taken her to see Hae who had been healing of her wounds in the medical ward. Watching the two women cry and hug each other made his heart glad and he left them alone to talk. She had asked him of Anat and Young-ho’s whereabouts. He had last returned the young man to his little brother but as for Anat… he hated that he didn’t know. 

    She was instantly grieved and had been for the few days she’d been back at the palace. Her eyes showed her broken heart yet she managed to keep it together. For the sake of all the women who had survived. They needed her to be strong she said. But at night when they shared their bed she laid against his chest and cried…wanted so much to know what happened to her. 

    Reaching down, he took hold of her hand and firmly squeezed, bringing her attention upward. Looking straight, his throat grew tight as the monks blessed the land once more, the shamans joining. And so it would begin, the departure of the brave men and women who had fought to defend their beloved Goryeo.

 

*** 

 

    “We’re wasting time.” 

    “You have nerve to rush me?”

    “The King was supposed to be killed by now.” The small group of men gathered around the table, lined with furs. Lifting the cup of wine and blood to his mouth, he grinned at the nervous Mongol leader. 

    “I never pegged you to be nervous.” The beady eyes of the man narrowed and his teeth bared like the teeth of a fox. 

    “You’re entirely too relaxed Prince of Goryeo.”

    “Good things take time.”

    “Time we do not have. Your forces wiped out more of my men than I anticipated.”

    “My men did no such thing. My brother is responsible for your death toll.” 

    “Ah yes… the man with the eyes of a lion.” He paused the cup against his lips. Lifting eyes to the man, he sneered. 

    “A lion you say?”

    “He crushed one of my men’s windpipes without a single glance spared at him. He is just as ruthless as you… perhaps even more.” Fury licked his belly and he put the goblet down. 

    “And that makes him better than me?”

    “Jealous?”

    “Don’t insult me you small imp of a man.” He hissed, eyes narrowing dangerously. The man only grinned. 

    “Calm yourself.” He knocked over the goblet, soaking the furs with the contents.  

    “If you bring him up again consider our little alliance null and void.” 

    “I never took you for one to be so emotional.” The man chuckled. 

    “Should you not hold to our agreement, we shall slay you and take the throne for ourselves. Think carefully about your next actions Prince of Goryeo. Waste no more time.” Walking away, the man left through the flap in the tent leaving him alone. He took a few breaths before getting up and smashing the room to pieces. How dare those freakish hobbits… 

    Without him, they would have had a very hard time entering into the Palace; stacked up against those monstrous big black soldiers from the faraway land. Should they prove to be nuisances after all, he’d simply dispose of them. Panting, he closed his eyes and straightened up, soon parting the flap and too leaving the tent.  Perhaps it was the Mongolian people who needed to learn to be humble. Biting the hand that fed you often proved disastrous. 

 

 

*** 

 

    If she was tired, she didn’t voice it. He admired that about her. He’d left Do-won at home and set out to return the woman Anat to her mistress. A sigh brought his attention to her. She nibbled on her lips and looked sad. 

    “Anat?” Glancing up at him, she swallowed hard. Her eyes had grown watery. Reaching for her hand, he gave it a comforting squeeze and eyed the road ahead. 

    “I know you miss her. She misses you too.” He had come up with a way to attempt to better communicate with her, slowly and poorly trying to teach her the hangul he had learned. A simple ‘yes’ or ‘no’ for starters. He had tried to keep his questions mainly within the scope of the one word answers. He had observed that she was a morning person like him. He had taken notice of some of her facial expressions…those of humor, sadness, annoyance and pain. She didn’t seem all that comfortable eating with him and his little brother and he was dying to ask her why. Perhaps she needed time to warm up to people and feel them out.

    In the time they had spent together, they had no choice but to try to get to know one another and he wasn’t ashamed to admit that he enjoyed her company. Though Do-won didn’t speak much around her, he would tell him that he thought she was pretty…that she looked kind hearted like Tiye-sunbae. He could tell that he appreciated her feminine presence. It had been so long since he had a noona around. Their mother and father had both died of malaria. Their older sister had went to work as a prostitute. She never returned home and he just naturally assumed that she had either died or been killed. That had left their hyung Byung-ho and them. Things were good at first. He had found a for-hire gig on a local farm and Do-won was free to play with the other kids. They had been able to afford just a little bit more rice to eat in the mornings and evenings. 

    Things began to look up even more when his services been been requested at the Palace. Hyung would always make sure to send them enough money so they could eat and on holidays he’d sent them enough to have a fancy meal if he hadn’t been permitted leave to visit. His disappearance had disturbed him for the past three to four years. Everything about it didn’t sit right with him. He would not just abandon us. Swallowing thickly, he let Anat’s hand slip away from him and straightened up, eyes growing steely. 

    The action didn’t go unnoticed and her eyes turned upwards. How curious that where he once was relaxed and even kind now was no more. He looked upset. More than upset. Furious. She wanted to know who was the cause of the emotion. And what would you do should you find out? Biting her lip, she drew her eyes away from him and permit the slightest bit more distance between them. Remember the goal. The goal is to serve Mistress Tiye. The goal is to bring an end to the Mongol invasion. The goal was not ever to allow the heart to rule. Be that as she knew, it didn’t stop her tongue from speaking or her cheeks to bloom in color. 

    “Young-ho?” It took yet another mention of his name to draw those enticing eyes of his towards her. At once he unclenched his jaw and attempted to smile some, though it only resulted in a clumsy crooked one. 

    “I…” He pointed at himself. 

    “Okay.” 

    “Okay?” 

    “Yes.” 

    “Yes.” She repeated and the sound of a humored chuckle sliced through the once thick air. 

    “Let’s get you to Tiye sunbae-nim.” 

 

*** 

 

    “Where is Cheol-su?” 

    “Out burying the dead.” Lips pursed and eyes narrowed. 

    “His place is here.” Solemn eyes lifted from the folded hands pressed against her stomach. They set their sights on the man she called father. She knew better than to reply…to negate his opinion. 

    “He thinks to honor those toy soldiers and grant them passage into the after life. What a pathetic notion.” Those same eyes slid over to the man she once called brother. 

    “It was their purpose to defend Goryeo. I don’t see the point in wasting time and money on them.” 

    “Have some compassion Seo Jun.” Their mother. 

    “If you had perished you would have wanted to be acknowledged.”

    “And it would be my right to be. Those….peasants knew their place and made their lives useful to the crown. What other fitting way to atone for their station than to die for their king?” She bit the inside of her cheek. 

    “What a pity. Some of them were your men.” The sneer was directed to Tiye who stood off to side, her brother’s representative. 

    “The lives of the men and women who bravely fought and died for what they believed in are precious. Should it not be in the character of the future king to acknowledge and praise his loyal subjects?” She asked, voice quiet. Her eyes belied another emotion contrary to her voice and it quite tickled her. Both the king and Seo Jun grew red in the face. If she had no self control, she would have laughed outright then and there. Good. Serves him right.

    “Tiye-unnie has just returned herself from the burial.”

    “Do you think it appropriate Mishil?” The voice came from Jae-hwa…who entered into the room donned in her finery and smug snoot of a mouth. Her own thinned just slightly. 

    “My own personal opinion does not matter. What is best for Goryeo is best for me.” She answered, voice calm and poised. 

    “It’s funny. You show respect to a woman who threatens my position as Queen Mishil. Yet you’ve never once showed me the same respect.” There is nothing of you to respect. 

    “If my brother wanted to honor the pact made between our parents he would have done so a long time ago. The fact that now you stand here having been rejected as a wife is no concern of mine.”

    “I’m not rejected darling little sister.” The urge to snort in her face was strong and it was barely held back. 

    “The marriage between you and Cheol-su oppa nim was only solidified in words only. As of yet I have seen no inkling that even the Gods above give their blessing to your union. The same cannot be said for Tiye-unnie. How unfortunate that we don’t get what we want at times in life no?” The woman paled and her throat grew red. Lips pinched, she held disbelief and shocked anger in her eyes. 

    “Mishil!”

    “It must be her time of bleeding. Mishil hasn’t been this fiery in a while.” Seo Jun said with a humored grin, his eyes flittering in between the two women. 

    “Father,” She ignored the bait and bowed her head once more before him. 

    “If I may ask, what is the plan to proceed? Instead of sitting here berating Cheol-su oppa nim for not being here a plan should have been enacted. Seo Jun oppa-nim have you forgotten your own duty? You are the leader of the armed forces. And yet you’ve not given a plan on how to defend our country from the invaders.” The sneer fell off of his face and while Tiye remained composed, the slightest quip of her lip upward revealed her humor. 

    “Be careful now little sister. Your words as icy and sharp as they are could draw suspicion.” 

    “It is simply an observation. One of a concerned sister. Nothing more is meant by it.” 

    “Mishil is perhaps the most filial out of you all.” The praise came from their father, who sat on his throne proud and chest puffed like a tail of peacock. 

    “She is right. Seo Jun what plan have you on the invaders?”  He sat up straighter in his chair and looked taken aback. 

    “You haven’t thought of one yet have you?” All eyes turned to see Cheol-su standing at the far back of the room, by the entrance. 

    “Cheol-su…”

    “Father, pardon my tardiness.” He bowed so low, the long white and blue jade beads hanging from his gat almost touched the floor. 

    “Come.” Come he did, approaching them all, his face serious yet sad. 

    “You’ve always been the more sensitive brother out of us both haven’t you?” Taking in his appearance, he grinned. He wore the hanbok of a mourning man, a plain off-white silk with a simple black cord around his waist. The brim of his gat wide and imposing. He carried no weapon but those of his hands and those were pressed to his side in tight fists.

    “Had to bury the rotting corpses did you?” 

    “I did. And yet you didn’t.” He hissed, vehemence full within the harsh timbre. 

    “Was I supposed to?” 

    “What does being King mean to you? Is it nothing more than a game to you?” Seo Jun prepared to retort but he beat him to it. 

    “For someone who was on the same battlefield as I, you show a concerning lack of empathy. Do you hold the lives of your men in such little regard brother?” The tension between them was nearly visible and yet for once Seo Jun’s mouth was shut, a firm line instead and hard glittering eyes. 

    “Cheol-su.” He bowed his head. 

    “Father. I am pleased to see that you are alive and well. The same to you Mother. Mishil.” 

    “And not me?” Jae-hwa bit out, arms crossed. 

    “You as well.” He said, head bowed lower. To that, she pursed her lips. 

    “How fare your men?” 

    “It has been a painfully slow process. Those who have perished we laid to rest today. Those who survive are in the medical ward as we speak.”

    “The gisaeng I allowed to be trained?”

    “Some of them made it. Some of them didn’t.”

    “Then it wasn’t a total waste.” He remained quiet. 

    “What of the men from Tiye’s homeland?”

    “A few perished in battle. However, more than half of the original count of men still remain.”

    “They are hardy and strong.”

    “Yes.” 

    “When this is over, I must send thanks to Kush for entrusting the lives of her soldiers to Goryeo.” 

    “Indeed.” Eyes fell over to Tiye who stood tall and confident, eyes straight ahead. 

    “I see your woman is dressed as one of her countrymen today.” The eyes of everyone fell on her. She stood in a beautiful linen dress, the hem of it touching the floor. Delicate shells and beads lined the stitch across her small waist and on either side of the plunging V neckline. Each side covered yet emphasized her tiny shoulders and a long pretty stretch of the palest pink and cream traveled down the length of the dress to one side. Her hair was fashioned in braids, elegantly fanned out from each side of her head and down her back. Left bare, a large golden crown adorned her head in the shape of a star…or that of a sun. Pearls, diamonds, and thin precious chains laying to rest upon her forehead. The two longer chains dripped like liquid gold down the smooth mahogany skin. She was simply breathtaking to behold. 

    “As Future Queen of Kush, it is her duty as sovereign.” That statement seemed to humor their father who chuckled. 

    “What plan have you devised Seo Jun?” Eyes still on Tiye, he slowly pulled them away to meet those of his father. 

    “We should send soldiers out to find their whereabouts. Keep those stationed at the respective gates and increase the manpower in case they attack again.” 

    “Cheol-su? What say you of this plan?”

    “It is nothing short of suicide.” The King was quiet for a while before he spoke again. 

    “What do you propose?”

    “We must make contact with our allies to aid in this fight. We unfortunately cannot do this alone. Not even with the manpower provided by Kush. We need more.”

    “Yes..”

    “Emperor Renzong. We must make contact with him at once.”

    “He is no longer Emperor. The Mongols disposed him. It’ll be pure luck if he is alive.” Seo Jun retorted, eyes flat and annoyed. 

    “It doesn’t matter. He will help us.”

    “You’re so certain?”

    “Perhaps if you spent less time eying Tiye you could put those waste of braincells to good use. What you proposed will get every one of us killed.” 

    “Enough!” The two brothers eyed each other for a moment longer before Cheol-su dropped his gaze, Seo Jun’s nostrils flared. 

    “We’ll do as you have proposed Cheol-su. In the mean time, we will use our remaining forces to stand guard.”

    “I think it would be wise if you relocated Father.”

    “Is not my Throne here?”

    “I understand that but if you cease to exist, what good will the Throne be?” The man sat back and crossed his arms. 

    “Do you suggest I forsake my Kingdom?” 

    “No Father I-”

    “What a coward.” 

    “Try to understand where the crown prince is going with this if you may.” 

    “Don’t speak!” hissed Seo Jun. 

    “Kush will do what she must to protect you and Goryeo’s people. However, it would be for naught if you remained in the same position for the Mongol army as before.”

    “And so?” Their father asked to the shock of them all. 

    “We must be five steps ahead of them. Let us not forget what they did to Song Chau.” The King stood, signaling that the conversation was over and all bowed before him. 

    “Cheol-su.”

    “Father,” 

    “When the threat has cleared… I will order an edict to be written.” 

    “And what will it say?” The Queen asked, eyes finding Jae-hwa’s. 

    “It will proclaim you a great war hero. My son who honors his countrymen and has fought bravely.” 

 

*** 

 

    The palace gates were in view and excitement rushed through her. Finally… they had made it. Soldiers stood guard and at their approach drew their swords. 

    “Identify yourself!” She swallowed and glanced up at Young-ho who stepped in front of her, shielding her some. 

    “I am a student of His Majesty Wang Cheol-su. My name is Young-ho.”

    “Who is the girl?” 

    “She is my sister.” The men turned to see the gates now open and Tiye standing there, eyes watery but firm.

    “My lady.” 

    “Stand down. She is kin to me.” The soldier bowed his head and the few of them sheathed their weapons.  At her appearance, Young-ho grew red in the face, his mouth gaping like that of a fish. The sight made her chuckle. 

    “If your mouth opens any wider, I would think to place a hook there to reel you in.” She joked with a slight push on his arm. Eyes blinking, he closed his mouth and fell to his knees, head pressed to the ground in a bow. 

    “Tiye-s-sunbae…” 

    “Young-ho….” Slowly, she knelt in front of him and lifted his head. Eyes shimmering with tears, she pulled him to her in a tight hug, making his entire body grow stiff. 

    “Thank goodness you’re okay. Thank the Gods.” 

    “S-sunb-bae…” Sniffing, she swallowed her tears thickly and stood, helping him stand. Eyes then met hers and at once the two fell into each other’s arms. Tears from her heart fell out upon her cheeks. 

    “Anat…”

    “Sister Tiye…”

    “Thank B’sst for your return.” The two cried against one another for a moment more before separating. 

    “Thank you for returning her to me. I didn’t know what had happened to her…I thought….I thought she-”

    “This one will not die easily. That is sure.” He spoke up, a handsome teasing smile on his face. 

    “She is so much like you Tiye-sunbae.” Smiling, she looked between the two of them and taking in Anat’s now flushed cheeks the smile turned into a grin. What ever had happened in their time away she wondered? 

    “Come, let’s get you bathed and in clean clothes.” 

    “Ah…I will not stay.” Her slender eyebrow lifted. 

    “Oh?”

    “My job was to return her to you Tiye-sunbae-nim. I’ve done that. I must return to my little brother.” Understanding bled into her features and she gave a friendly smile. 

    “I see. I trust that I will be seeing you return to your studies here soon?” 

    “Yes sunbae.”

    “Good then. Let me send you home with some clothes and food at least.”

    “Ah…sunbae-”    

    “I won’t hear a word out of you. Come on.” Now it was Anat’s turn to grin as Young-ho deflated and followed her mistress’ orders, the gates soon closing behind them.  

 

*** 

 

    “It’s somewhat of a pity.”

    “What is?”

    “That he didn’t meet her first.”

    “Are you now approving of their affections?”

    “Approving no.”

    “Then?”

    “That woman is quite the skilled diplomat.”

    “I’ve…noticed.”

    “She has a mighty military force behind her… forces that would have been beneficial to Goryeo long before now.”

    “In other words you think they could have been a fitting political match.”

    “Hm.”

    “And Jae-hwa?”

    “Poor girl. Cheol-su doesn’t intend to make her his wife. I’ve been well aware of that fact since their teenage years.”

    “He’ll come to love her. Eventually.” 

    “It doesn’t matter if he will or not. What matters is that she bears him a child.”

    “And what will you do if the foreign princess conceives first? You know as well as I do that Cheol-su intends to father children with her.”

    “His first born must be of full blood from the Wang line. Should it not be, we will dispose of it. ” 

    “Yes your Majesty.”

    “On the night that I crown him King… he will marry Jae-hwa. Once we have the firstborn, he can breed his little mare as many times as he desires. It matters not to me.”  

    “Of course.” 

    “Perhaps she will be useful to keep around going forward. With a nation of soldiers behind her, Goryeo will never again see invasion so long as she holds Cheol-su in her heart.” 






Chapter End Notes:

A/N: LONG AUTHOR NOTE AHEAD. BUCKLE UP KIDS!

HELLO MY LOVES! FIRST THINGS FIRST! HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!! HEHEHE. I'M SO THANKFUL THAT GOD HAS BLESSED YOU AND I WITH ANOTHER YEAR HEHE. I AM SO EXCITED FOR WHAT'S TO COME HEHE. SECONDLY, I MISSED YOU ALL SO MUCH! I decided to start the new year off with a BANG! A Yeonwang BANG heyyyyy *penny proud voice* lol. Prayfully so, these updates will be worth it. I've literally spent three WHOLE days writing on this bad boy. I cranked out a lot of chapters in this time and frankly, I'm exhausted lol. It's been a long time since I've written or updated so I understand the congestion. It felt good to write on it again. I had started writing on it back in october actually lol. But a lot of unexpected life changes literally hit me in the face and yeonwang was the last thing on my mind. But, that was last year right? We're in the new year hehe. And I'm excited to share that I'm that much closer to finishing this labor of love. 

Okay so thoughts of the chapter? I literally saw these chapters as like mini little segments of a movie so yeah I wrote as such. I hope you enjoy the chapter hehe. I have two more to gift you guys with until I rest a bit. I love you all. God bless you all richly this year! May you be great and may you create! hehe. 

 

OH, some life changes? Sure. So I left my job as a Patient Care Nursing Assistant. It was literally killing my body. Like my back knees (mainly) back. I was there for 2 years and knew I would not (nor did I want to) endure a third year. I switched gears a bit so now I am currently a pharmacy technician trainee (WHOA PHARMACY? BUT DL, I THOUGHT YOU WERE IN SCHOOL FOR NURSING?) lol. So, here's the thing. I'm after the education, experience and certification. Should I choose to go back for nursing I will. If not then I will continue with pharmacy until I get a bachelors and then I will go for Physician Assistant school. I am kicking the can on that honestly (the nursing part) but yeah.

So, I am a full time student as well as a full time employee so ya girl is going to be VERY BUSY for the next 6 to 7 months. Just a disclaimer having said that, PLEASE TAKE THAT INTO CONSIDERATION. THE WRITING SCHEDULE FOR 2022 IS TENTATIVE FOR THAT VERY REASON. NOTHING IS CONCETE AND IS SUBJECT TO CHANGE. PLEASE DO NOT LEAVE INSENSITIVE RUDE OR NAGGING COMMENTS ABOUT WHY I HAVE NOT UPDATED AND HOW LONG YOU HAVE WAITED AND YAH YAH YAH. THEY WILL BE IGNORED. AND HONESTLY, IF IT BOTHERS YOU THAT MUCH, DON'T READ MY STUFF AND/OR LEAVE A COMMENT. NO ONE WANTS TO READ NEGATIVE RUDE COMMENTS lol. Seriously. Kay thanks. Love you! BYE! 

 

Cheol-su's fits:

 

 

Tiye's outfit: 

(LOOK AT THIS BADDIE) 

​​​​​​​







Enter the security code shown below:
Note: You may submit either a rating or a review or both.

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.