Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:


forty-two 


maheundul




Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


 

 

Her entire body trembled and she had lost her voice from screaming and crying. Black. All around. Black. The silk bag still covered her face and her arms were beginning to hurt from the awkward positioning. Whoever had taken her had thrown her on her side…thankfully. It was so dark and cold, the ground hard. The sound of a door opening alerted her and she began to make noise, words turning into mumbles of sound thanks to a thick piece of bamboo reed forced into her mouth. She quieted down as solid footsteps grew closer. They stopped right in front of her face. She attempted to make another sound but a hand grabbed her by the hair and yanked her head back, forcing a sharp pain to zip down the side of her neck. She protested all to be quieted by a chilling sound. 

    “Shhh……” Fear now sliced through her and the hand released her hair, roughly shoving her. Tears welled up in her eyes as the sound of the door opened and closed once more. Oh God….what was happening… Why was this happening…. She could not stop her body from trembling and jolted as the door opened once more. Hands yanked her up roughly, ignoring her cries and pleas, they forced her to walk and soon she was made to stop. Those same hands yanked the silk bag off of her head and cut the ties that bound her. Turning, she found three guards standing at the door, hands on their swords. 

    “What is the meaning of this?” She demanded, eyes filled with tears. Her question was met with silence.

    “ANSWER ME!” 

    “I have some questions.” Gasping, two of the men part and let Cheol-su enter the room. Dressed head to toe in a dark navy blue hanbok, even the belt around his waist in the dark appeared black and it sent chills down her spine. His hair was pulled up and away from his face in a ponytail, bangs caressing one side of his face. With the flicker of the candlelight that cast shadows upon him, if she didn’t know any better… she’d say that he was the grim reaper having come to collect his next victim. 

    “Cheol-su, what is this….what are you doing?” 

    “As of now, just a simple conversation.” He stepped into the room and she jumped as the doors behind him closed. 

    “What else ensues is completely up to you.” 

 

*** 

 

    Fingers gripped each other underneath the table and eyes lifted to see the woman bring a kettle of tea towards the low table. 

    “Tiye-eonnie…”

    “I’m glad you could visit.” She gave a pretty smile and sat down. She’d left her hair down and it tumbled down her back like a thick gorgeous waterfall. Her servant Anat had placed a flower pin in her hair as decoration to the matching flowers sowed into her pink hanbok. Various shades of pink, ranging from a purplish pink to a light cherry blossom pink adored her, and truth be told… she looked radiant. A becoming lip tint stained her lips and she smiled at her glance. 

    “It’s been quite a time since I’ve had a female visitor.”

    “It’s good to see you Tiye-eonnie.”

    “The same with you.” The two lifted their cups and each took a respective sip. 

    “How are things at the palace?” Mishil swallowed. 

    “Not much has changed…” Except that wasn’t the truth. Much had changed. 

    “How does Cheol-su fare? My friend Yi Hae?” Giving a polite smile, she answered. 

    “Cheol-su oppa-nim….ah…he misses you.” 

    “He should expect for me to be angry at him for a long while. He has yet to visit me. All I have of him are his letters.” 

    “Mm.”

    “Are they still trying to find the whereabouts of the Mongols? It’s been at least two full months now with no such movements.”

    “Ah…Oppa-nim is working on that. Getting the information pertaining to that.”

    “Good.” She lifted her nail and picked at the painted-on flower on the teacup. 

    “Yi Hae…she’s doing okay. Understandably, I don’t see her much. You’ll have to forgive me for not having more information on her.” 

    “It’s no problem Mishil. Really. I appreciate the updates.” Giving a brave smile, she slowly lifted her eyes to the older woman as she drank more of her tea. 

    “Eonnie…”

    “Hm?”    

    “About the pact we made…”

    “Yes.”  Swallowing thickly, she gripped her fingers tightly. 

    “Were you successful?” 

    “Not as successful as I wanted to be.” The two women were silent and only the sound of the cup was heard. 

    “He tried to impersonate Cheol-su. And I…I didn’t know initially.” At that, her ears perked up. 

    “He was wearing his hanbok…and….obviously…it carried his scent. I…I was really happy to see him.” The younger woman was quiet as the older one fumbled for words. 

    “I…I feel like I’ve committed a grave sin.” She admitted, setting her cup on the saucer. 

    “How so?” Tiye licked her lips and clutched her hands. 

    “Somehow I had fallen unconscious.”

    “Unconscious?”

    “When I awakened, I still…still thought Seo Jun was…was Cheol-su and…I…I allowed him to pleasure me.” Mishil was speechless, nail now having chipped some of the paint off. 

    “I didn’t know… If I knew I… I wouldn’t have…let him…” Reaching across, she took hold of her hand. 

    “Eonnie… it is not your fault.”

    “I feel like it is…”

    “But it’s not. That pig took advantage of you. He played with your emotions and made you think he was someone he wasn’t. That is of no fault of yours.” Tiye for the first time since she’d ever seen her looked completely torn up inside. She could tell that it ate at her; chipped and chipped away at her. It broke her heart to see her so…vulnerable… 

    “Cheol-su cannot ever know. I… I don’t want him to forsake me.” Grabbing her hand, she gripped it tight enough to make the woman look at her. 

    “Stop it eonnie.” Tears welled up in her eyes yet she remained quiet. 

    “Oppa-nim would never forsake you. You know that. You know he loves you with every breath in his body. So much so that sometimes I believe he would do things not in his character for that love.” Blinking away tears, she looked up. 

    “Outside of his character?” 

    “When we love someone… we all can act a bit crazy hm? We’d do anything for the one we love.” The thought brought a smile to her. 

    “Yes…you’re right.” Giving her hand another gentle squeeze, she let go of her hand. 

    “What happened to him?” Seo Jun. 

    “He is imprisoned right now.”

    “Under what grounds?”

    “Investigational purposes. Oppa-nim was adamant that he be imprisoned for far worse. It was to his favor that the King did grant an order of investigation.” 

    “Have they found anything yet?” 

    “As of now…nothing.” 

    “I see.”

    “The best thing we have going for us is that he’s in prison. We can only hope and pray that he remains there as long as possible.” 

    “Indeed.” Silence ensued between the two once more. 

    “How…how is Jae-hwa?” 

 

 

*** 

 

    “Lady Jae-hwa…please allow someone to enter.”

    “NO. GET AWAY FROM ME.” She sat in a dark corner, hands on her belly now more pronounced and round. She felt her eyes well up with tears. Stupid…. how could she have been so terribly stupid?

 

*** 

 

    “Why did Seo Jun go to Deoksugung?” 

    “I don’t know! How many times do I have to tell you that? I’m not his babysitter.”

    “You are his personal fuck toy. I expect you to know something.” Eyes grew wide at the man in front of her. It was hard to believe….that what once was a sweet kind-hearted boy could turn into a cold-blooded monster. 

    “The more you answer, the easier this process goes Jae-hwa.” 

    “And if I don’t choose to answer? What can you do to me? I’m carrying the next heir to the throne.” She replied haughtily, lips pursed in a sneer. But the cold almost emotionless stare that looked back at her gave her the most terrible fright. 

    “What lives and breathes in that stomach of yours concerns me very little if at all. Frankly, I don’t give a shit.” Her heart stopped for the briefest second. 

    “C-Cheol-su…”

    “The only thing stopping me from cutting open your stomach and pulling the damn thing out is that it would serve me no gain. Be assured of that.” It was at that moment that she lost all color in her face. It was what he said… and how he said it. He spoke with unwavering certainty, a chilling sureness that suited the navy black he wore. 

    “You’re….you’re no different from him.” That did something to him and his eyes grew even colder. 

    “You and Seo Jun are just alike. Monsters just the same….perhaps your blood is cursed after all… just like you and your dungeon of horrors.” He had begun to draw near but she kept talking. 

    “I once told you the rumors. Rumors that you tortured people underneath the palace. My God I didn’t know it was true. What manner of beast are you?” Nearer he came until he took her by the throat. Slowly, he lifted her up from the ground and began to choke her, making her eyes glow with terror and mouth gape open. 

    “Know this you little whore…for my wife I’d become the devil himself.” Leaning close enough, his breath fanned across her lips. 

    “At the moment, your mouth is earning you a one-way ticket to hell.” 

 

*** 

 

    The devil indeed she met that night and it was one she’d always remember. She told him everything….Seo Jun’s plans to overthrow the King….his plans to make her his Queen. She had revealed it all. Even….even the deal he’d made with the Mongolian nation… all of it she’d given him. Tears welled up in her eyes. What would become of her….what would become of the child in her belly? 

    “Lady Jae-hwa…please you must eat something.” The knocking continued and she put her hands over her ears to try to block it out. 

    “LEAVE ME ALONE…” 

 

*** 

 

    “I haven’t…seen her much. I’m sure you understand why.” 

    “Yes…it must be hard…”

    “Terrible actually.” Tiye opened her hand palm up and gave a smile. She placed her hand into hers and their fingers interlocked. 

    “You are young and beautiful Mishil. There is no reason why you cannot find love again.” She smiled in return though her eyes had grown watery. 

    “There will….there will never be another Byung-ho…never.” Her voice broke and she could only whisper the last part. 

    “It takes time dearest sister. The heart takes her time…she needs time.” Laughing, Mishil nodded. 

    “I suppose so. The ache is still so terribly sharp in my chest.” Sniffling, the women wiped their eyes. 

    “As for you?”

    “What about me?”

    “Eonnie….I heard that you…you are with child yourself.” The beautiful woman blushed suddenly, her cheeks the prettiest shade of red she think she had ever seen. 

    “Yes. It is true.” She squealed and took hold of her other hand. 

    “Oppa-nim knows right?” Perhaps that is why he is acting this way. The look in Tiye’s eyes however said something different. 

    “I was forced to come here before I could tell him.” Her mouth dropped open in disbelief. 

    “If…if I may ask… how far along are you?” Her other hand drifted below the table and she just knew she was consoling her child. 

    “I’m not sure exactly…But I know I missed my cycle a week before coming here.” 

    “I would say the entirety of your stay here. Two months yes?” 

    “Yes.”

    “Maybe a week or two more.” Blushing, the woman gave a nod. 

    “Have you no other visitors in that time?” 

    “Other than you. And…and Seo Jun.” 

    “Oppa-nim must be made aware of this. There’s no way he would allow this to continue.” 

    “It has happened for a reason yes? As long as I do not interfere with Cheol- su’s plans I don’t mind.”

    “No!” At that, Mishil took her hand back. 

    “You don’t deserve to endure your pregnancy alone Tiye-eonnie! No one deserves that.” She felt sick in the pit of her stomach at the thought. Her father had destined a pregnant woman to live and die alone…all so that Jae-hwa’s child would be the legal first heir. 

    “Surely, I’ll be home before then.” But she knew…they both knew otherwise. 

    “He will visit you.” 

    “We’re still in the middle of a wa-”

    “I’ll make sure he visits you.” It was no use arguing with the young woman. So, she just sat, closed her mouth and gave a gentle nod. 

 

*** 

 

 

    “Cheol-su how fares Jae-hwa?” He didn’t reply, instead watched as a maidservant poured wine into their goblets. 

    “Well?”

    “When are you to release Tiye from Deoksugung?” He asked instead, watching as the King, his father, chuckled before taking a bite or two of his food. 

    “That depends on when Jae-hwa gives birth.”

    “So you plan to kill her.” 

    “What are you talking about?”

    “It takes nine months to develop a human child. Jae-hwa is a little over two months at the present moment.”

    “What’s your point?”    

    “You mean to keep Tiye locked up for seven remaining months. This is the way to thank her for all she’s done?” 

    “What has she done? Other than fuck the common sense out of you?”

    “Pyeha!” He sat tight-jawed, eyes intense and narrow. 

    “This lavish dinner you gorge yourself on is thanks to Tiye. The wine you intoxicate yourself with is thanks to Tiye. Even the servants are all thanks to Tiye.” 

    “All you ramble on about is Tiye, Tiye, Tiye. Fuck the shiny black bitch!” 

    “Pyeha, please. You’re drunk…” Their mother pleaded, lifting a hand to signal no more drink. 

    “There was once a time where I felt like shit for leaving this fucked up life.” 

    “Cheol-su, mind your tongue-”

    “Tell him to mind his.” He hissed lowly, anger fresh and hot upon his face. 

    “I gave up happiness to return here…to return to what I thought was my ordained duty. But now I see what it is really about.” Standing up from the table, he eyed the many different foods on the table… too much for them all to eat. The sight of it all made him sick. 

    “I sacrificed the love of my love for this country….surrendered her up on a platter and allowed her to be eaten by wolves and vultures. May the Gods never forgive me.” 

    “Where are you going? Cheol-su…” 

    “Since you want the throne so badly Seo Jun…feel free to have it.” 

    “CHEOL-SU!” 

    “But know that the King who will sit on the throne is nothing but a backstabbing lying murderer who will deliver you all to hell when it suits him!”

    “Wait…”

    “No! No… I’m done. I will take my woman and return back to Kush. You can have this shit fodder. I want no fucking part of it anymore.” 

    “Wait Oppa-ni-” A large bang made him turn. His father red-faced began to vomit blood, drawing the screams of Mishil and their mother. 

    “ABEOJI! ABEOJI!” 

    “Call a medic! Hurry!” 

    “Father….Father!” The blood now black kept spilling from his lips and he fell back and out of his chair, his head hitting the floor. Tears welled up in his eyes as he watched those of his father roll back into his head. 

    “Fa…Father…” 

 

 

*** 

 

 

 

    The air was fresh and full of dander but it didn’t bother him. Smiling into the wind, he gave the stallion underneath him a little tap against the neck to set off. Too happy, the steed galloped in a way almost as if he were dancing and the dance he did in his saddle humored him. 

    “I’m happy too Dongie… very happy you are fully recovered.” The stallion blew out air in response, bringing a chuckle to him. 

    “Are you excited to see our eolin-i?” A loud neigh pierced the air and he laughed before asking him to run. 

    “Let’s go to her then!” He shouted, the clip-clop of Dong-il’s hooves reverberant in the earth. 

 

 

*** 

 

    “Mistress Tiye…”

    “What is it Anat?”

    “I need to go into town. May I bring Young-ho?” The woman glanced between the two of them and grinned. 

    “You have my permission Anat. Please, take as long as you need.” The poor boy’s ears grew red. 

    “We won’t be too long sunbae-nim.”

    “I am fine. I have my brothers here to defend me. You and Anat take as long as you need.” 

    “We’ll be back soon.” Eyes watched the two of them head off and smiled, reaching down to caress her belly. 

    “What say you precious one? Are they really just friends?” Soon though, the smile faded and she sighed. Upon entering the palace, she paused to sit by the window. 

    “Lady Tiye, what can we do for you?” Some of the lady maids asked, bowing before her. 

    “At the moment nothing. I want to practice my sparring but Semil has forbidden me from doing so.”

    “He is very overprotective of you Highness.”

    “It is the future heir to the throne I carry. I completely understand.” They all laughed some. 

    “Lady Tiye…”

    “Yes?”

    “Do you miss home?” A pang of homesickness hit her in the heart. 

    “Of course I do…” The women sighed. 

    “Why has Sekhemrekhutawy left you with child alone Lady Tiye?” 

    “He hasn’t…”

    “He hasn’t come to see you not once since we’ve been here. Queen Mother would be most displeased.”

    “Don’t presume to know what would please her and what wouldn’t.” Her rebuke forced them to shut up, guilty eyes downward. 

    “Don’t forget… we are still at risk for being attacked once more by the Mongols. You don’t know his reasons. Don’t assume.” 

    “Yes my Lady. We apologize for any offense.” 

 

 

*** 

 

    It was drawing early evening when he caught the palace in his sight. After multiple horse breaks and food for those in his caravan, they had finally made it. They rode at full speed, twisting and turning the roads… his legs burned like shreds of blue fire and yet onward until….an arrow…or three stopped Dong-il in his tracks. He whinnied in protest, lifting up onto his hind legs. 

    “Easy Dongie… easy boy…” Blowing out irritated air, the stallion shook his head and grunted. 

    “We’re here my friend. I know you are anxious to see her too.” 

    “Pyeha…”

    “It’s alright. Stand down.” Dismounting from his horse, he slowly approached them. They drew arrows at him but once he grew closer, the leader of the archers Semil gave an order to halt. 

    “Sekhemrekhutawy?” 

    “Brother Semil. It has been too long.” The man approached him with a blinding smile and clasped arms with him.

    “It is good to see you brother.”

    “Our kinsmen fare well yes?”

    “Yes. There has been no outstanding threat as of late.”

    “I heard there once was.”

    “Yes. An intruder weeks back gave Lady Tiye quite a scare. He was very clever. We thought he was you so we obeyed him and went to the town square. Upon returning and finding out that he was an imposter, I have tightened all security. No one gets past without verification.” 

    “Good.”

    “Yes.”

    “Tiye…she’s..inside?”

    “Yes. You are free to go to her brother.” 

    “Thank you.”

    “It is no problem at all.” Turning towards the confused expressions on the faces of his countrymen, he smirked. 

    “Bring my belongings inside please.”

    “At once pyeha.” Licking his lips, he inhaled deeply and began to enter the palace. 

 

*** 

 

    She stood by the window, panel open to bring in the air. Light and refreshing, it made her smile but only for a while before it faded. 

    “Unatti, I’d like some paper and ink. I’ll write Cheol-su a letter.” Silence. 

    “Unatti?”

    “There is no need. I’m right here.” She grew still for the longest time, fingers gripped tight. It’s a dream. It’s not real. 

    “Isn’t your heart beating just as fast as mine?” The hair on the back of her neck stood up at warm breath and that oh so appetizing scent of his. Her breath grew shaky. 

    “You’re…you’re…not…” Before she could finish her sentence, lips gently kissed her neck, making her knees suddenly grow weak. 

    “See for yourself if I am real or not.” His voice washed over her like a smooth silky rain and she tried to stop her womanhood from spilling fragrant dew but to no avail… Turning around her heart stopped but for a moment. Eyes filling with tears, she lifted shaky hands towards him. 

    “It’s…it’s you…it’s really you….” Fingers traced his brows, down the bridge of his nose and teased the soft petals he had for lips. 

    “Forgive me…for not coming sooner…”

    “Shh….it’s…”

    “Not okay. It’s far from acceptable.” Swallowing, she let her hands fall down to his chest and stepped into his arms, face buried against him. 

    “If I had come sooner, he wouldn’t be been able to hurt you.” His voice was raw and angry. 

    “Thank the Gods Young-ho was here. He helped me.” He sighed against her and pulled her further into his arms, hugging her tightly. 

    “I have half a mind to not let you go anywhere again.” 

    “Don’t be ridiculous. I’m no damsel. You know that.” Grinning, he caressed her face gently and pressed an even gentler kiss on her lips. The air she’d needed…how it drifted from his lungs down her throat… life….meaning…him. A deeper kiss pleased her, sounds of long-awaited reunion in the form of lips soon gave way to tongue and teeth. 

    “Cheol-su…” 

    “I should slow down…” He suggested as his hands drifted down her back. 

    “You should…” 

    “But I won’t…” He bit into her bottom lip, pulling her even closer. 

    “I don’t want you to…” A soft little groan against her mouth ignited the yearning once more… Lifting fingers, she slid them into his hair, pulling the strands out of his topknot just as his tongue played with hers. Their soft groans conjoined delightfully and he reached further down to grab hold of her derriere. Just as he was about to lift her up into his arms, he paused all too sudden. His hands slipped up from her derriere. He pulled back just enough to see her face. 

    “What’s…what’s wrong?” He said nothing, eyes staring down into hers as his hands came up to her hip and then around. Her eyes fluttered closed and her breath came faster than before. 

    “Tiye…” Still, her eyes remained shut…the most ridiculous fear now replacing the desire. Her eyes opened and they settled on his…slight confusion and disbelief now dwelling inside the warm toasty depths. 

    “I…I didn’t…I didn’t have a chance…to tell you.” 

    “Tell me what?” Just the sound of his voice drove her mad and the breath that fanned across her throat made her dizzy. 

    “I’m…” A big warm hand caressed her cheek and brought her gaze back up to his. He didn’t say anything…just waited. Waited until she gathered her breath. 

    “I’m with child…” His hand left her face and slipped around her waist and she felt the press of his face against her neck. When he started to descend down onto one knee, her breath increased in her lungs. There the other knee met the floor and now both of his hands caressed her derriere. Her heartbeat up into her ears as he pressed his forehead against her stomach and then his lips in a gentle kiss. She gasped, reaching down to caress his hair. 

    “I’m…I’m so sorry.” 

    “Why are you-”

    “Had I known…I would have sent for you immediately. I wouldn’t have allowed you to live in this hell hole.” 

    “I know.”

    “Why didn’t you…tell me sooner?” 

    “I wanted to look you in the eyes and tell you.” The biggest brightest smile she think she’d ever seen crossed his face just then and he began to laugh quietly against her, placing sweet little kisses here and there. 

    “Now I understand.” 

    “Understand what?” He lifted up and gave her a kiss, one that melted her flesh away from her bones. Pulling her close, he led her out towards the entry gates, her question unanswered. 






Chapter End Notes:

 

A/N: 

whew.....between Cheol-su telling them he will abandon his position as future king (which you KNOW must mean he is truly done with all of this) to him finding out (finally) that Tiye is pregnant. I also want to say that I'm loving this sisterhood she has with Mishil. Like.... can we appreciate that for a hot moment because WOW. This whole chapter had me all emotional LOL. *sniff* okay hehe next chapter? Come with meeeee~

 

 

Some visuals cause this was too intense man lol 

Cheol-su being all big and bad was... WHEW. 

A visual of his whole mood: 

A MAN ON A MISSION MAN. WHEW.

 

Tiye's hanbok when visiting with Mishil:







Enter the security code shown below:
Note: You may submit either a rating or a review or both.

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.