Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:


forty-five 


maheundaseot




Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


 

Flames cast an orange glow on the stone, soldiers stood at their posts swords at the ready. The sound of the drum ricocheted into the night, slicing through the very air. A man stepped forward followed by a host of armed men. Some were dressed as members of the royal guard…others in foreign garments. One thing was certain. They marched proudly behind him. 

    “Pyeha…” Serious eyes turned to Yooshik who came to stand beside him. 

    “It’s time.”

    “We’ve paid our warriors respect for their sacrifices. Let us now celebrate them.”

    “Yes pyeha.” 

 

*** 

 

    “Have you heard?”

    “Heard what?” Brown fingers combed through her hair, picked up the last of the hair, and began to braid. 

    “The King stripped Seo Jun of his military title and gave it to Cheol-su-ssi.” 

    “Aren’t we mighty familiar with him now?” The group of women laughed amongst themselves. 

    “Serves the bastard right. After all he’s done. It’s a miracle that the King spared him this long.”

    “The only thing that has saved him has been that he is a prince and of royal blood. Anyone else would have been boiled alive or quartered.”

    “Hm…”

    “The Crown Prince has always had a knack for military tactics, hasn’t he? It’s only natural that he does well. He’s been bred for this after all.” She smiled as she listened to the women talk, closing her eyes as Anat finished the braid at last. 

    “It’s amazing Tiye-ah…”

    “Hm?” Opening her eyes, she found five pairs of eyes on her, watching Anat’s hands twist and turn. 

    “How she plaits your hair like that. It’s so pretty.”

    “Wah…it’s so neat.” The two women from Kush chuckled amongst themselves. 

    “If you would like, I can braid your hair as well sister from another land.” Blinking, they looked at Anat in confusion. 

    “Anat offered to braid your hair the same as mine. She’s extending peace to you.”

    “Ahh…thank you Anat-ah.”

    “You…are…trustworthy…”

    “Trustworthy?”

    “Welcome Anat.” Her cheeks grew lively and she softly repeated the word. 

    “Yahhhh she’s so cute!”

    “Yeah and I hear she likes that hot student of Tiye’s. What’s his name?"

    “Young-ho I believe?” The girls giggled as Anat’s cheeks grew warm. 

    “Is it true that they kissed each other?” To that, Tiye bit her lip in a smirk but otherwise stayed quiet. 

    “Come now you all. Get ready and stop flapping those lips.” Hae said with a suck of her teeth. 

    “She’s been around Tiye-ah so long she even makes the same sounds as she does!” 

    “Is that supposed to be a compliment or an insult?” She teased back, standing to her feet. 

    “A compliment of course.” 

    “Eonnie…what are you wearing?” Min-Ah asked, playfully shoving the other girls out of the way. Anat smirked and went to the chest where she kept some of the belongings from Kush. Reaching inside, she pulled out a stunning beaded dress, the sight of it making the women’s mouths drop clear open. 

    “Oh my God…Tiye-eonnie…” Made of dark blue beading, smaller beads decorated the bodice as well as the sides of the daring plunging V neck. Encased in solid gold paint there a scarab served as the main decoration. A separate linen sheath was retrieved to be worn underneath the dress. At last, a gold neckpiece was pulled to adorn her neck. Matching armlets and pieces for her hair were placed neatly on the table. 

    “I have to see it on you…Gods…”

    “If we wore something like that…we’d be stoned I swear…” Chuckling, she winked at them.

    “In my homeland, women are not punished for expressing their sensuality. Just as it is a man’s right so it is ours.” 

    “It’s so pretty…” 

    “Prince Cheol-su will surely die seeing you in that.”

    “If he doesn’t bite it clean off of her with his teeth first.” Min-Ah joked, nearly blocking a cushion thrown at her.

    “Enough! Come on…”

    “Hae-eonnie….what will you be wearing? Surely there is a man who you fancy.” At that, she kept tight-lipped and began to push the girls into the other room to prepare. 

 

*** 

 

 

    Daegeum played one of his father’s favorites, Ch’ongsong-gok and all were in awe of its beautiful quality. All around servants began to bring in main dishes and side dishes. Laughter filled the room, full of members of court, family, and relatives from afar. 

    “Where are the gisaeng? Is Tiye-ah with them?” Yooshik asked, leaning in close over the music. 

    “She will come dear friend. Your Hae.” Blushing, he pulled away and tossed back a drink. Laughing, he playfully wiggled his eyebrows and lifted the ewer to pour him another. 

    “Gods…look at them.” All eyes turned towards the doors now slid open. The gisaeng entered, an array of beautiful garments, hair ornaments, and painted lips they were a sight to behold. Catching the sight of Hae, Yooshik sat up straighter, his eyes glued to her. She indeed was quite beautiful, a silky lilac durumagi brightening up the room. Blush pink pieces of fabric exaggerated her delicate shoulders, giving her a powerful yet demure appearance. A hot pink and pastel pink jeogori popped underneath and her hair had been fashioned in a gorgeous braid. Wrapped around her head, it created the appearance of a halo. A dainty hairpiece resembled a miniature crown and jeweled pink flowers sat in other places of the braid. 

    “Beautiful…" Cheol-su praised, giving him a slight little nudge. He’d yet to pick up his mouth when Tiye appeared not too far behind her. Cutting eyes over at his prince, now it was his turn to grin and tease as his eyes slipped down her body. 

    “Beautiful pyeha.” 

    “The prince’s woman always dresses in a breathtaking manner.”

    “Her manner of dress is inappropriate. What woman of value and honor bares her breasts for men to see?”

    “Quiet your voice. Don’t let the prince hear you.” 

    “If a woman like that approached you, you'd shit your pants.” The band of men all turned to find a grinning Seo Jun as he lifted a cup of rice wine to his mouth. 

    “A woman like that would cause a man to start a war.” 

    “Pyeha…"

    “A beautiful woman like that will steal your very soul should you not be careful.” His eyes too drifted down her body.

    “Dangerous and deadly. An exhilarating combination.” Their commentary grew quiet as the brothers locked eyes. A tension zipped between them and Seo Jun smirked. 

    “I’m a dead man talking. Let me look at Heaven one last time.” He clenched his jaw. 

    “Your Highness.” Tiye’s soft voice attracted his attention and he found her bowing before the King. He too openly stared at her much to the displeasure of the Queen who sat with pinched lips. 

    “Princess of Kush.” She lifted her head, not concealing her shock. It had been the first time since returning to Goryeo that he’d acknowledged her status. Lifting a cup up to her, he tossed it back and ordered another pour. Swallowing, she bowed her head once more, the braids encased in slim holders touching the floor. Smiling towards the Queen, she took the outstretched hand of Mishil.

    “You are a vision eonnie.” The woman whispered against her as they embraced. Blushing, she thanked her with a look. 

    “I aspire to hold the same power you have. Every man in the room has been drawn to your beauty.”

    “Should they cross me wrong, that beauty will be the death of them.” The two laughed. Mishil gently squeezed her hand. 

    “Will this be one of the last appearances of the princess hailing from Kush?” She knit her eyebrows at Mishil’s mysterious smile. 

    “I don’t know…will it be?” Letting go of her hand, the younger woman lifted a cup of wine to her mouth, refusing to answer.

    “Your prince eagerly awaits you. Even now he retains the look of a pitiful puppy waiting for its owner.” Playfully nudging her, she playfully rolled her eyes at her.

    “Mind yourself.”

    “But of course eonnie.” Getting up, she finally made her way to him at last. He lifted a hand upward, extending his fingers. To which she accepted. Bringing her smaller hand to his lips, he kissed the back of it, eyes already setting her on fire. That same hand held steady as she lowered herself in a sit. 

    “I was starting to grow worried.”

    “I had to make sure I looked my best.”

    “You always do.” He mused, kissing her hand yet again. 

    “Thank you.” She said with a coy smile, letting go of his hand. 

    “Each and every time you make my mouth water.” Whispered now against her ear, the smile on her face deepened. 

    “Tiye-ssi.” Clearing her throat, she accepted a cup of wine. 

    “Yes?”

    “Allow me to say that your assistance in the battle was very appreciated.” 

    “Thank you Yooshik-ssi.” 

    “It has been truly an honor fighting alongside you.”

    “The same to you.”

    “Does this now mean that I’ve gained your trust off of the battlefield?” She laughed, teeth bright as pearls. 

    “That depends…”

    “Oh?” She leaned over just a tad so that he could hear her better. 

    “Should you finally act on your feelings for my sister my trust may be fully gained.” To that, his ears grew a charming red and Cheol-su laughed openly, the sound joyous and free. 

    “I haven’t seen him blush like that since we were young children.”  Giggling, she pulled away. Feeling eyes on her, she turned towards them. Seo Jun. His dark smoldering gaze pierced her skin like tiny little needles but she remained composed, eyes looking back just the same. Lifting his cup towards her, he then tossed the wine back. Lifting her cup, she in return toasted him before taking a sip. 

 

*** 

 

    The night carried on into the early morning. High from wine and merrymaking, they watched as their friends danced sloppily alongside the performers and fell over trays of food. Laying her head on his shoulder, she welcomed his arm that came to circle around her. She closed her eyes to the sound of the deep rumbling laughter that shook her and the steady healthy heartbeat that pumped against her ear. 

    “ALL HAIL CHEOL-SU! THE GREATEST WARRIOR THERE EVER WAS!” 

    “ALL HAIL CHEOL-SU!” 

    “YAH! YOU IDIOT! STOP HOGGING ALL THE WINE!”

    “COME GET IT YOU DRAGONFISH!” There was his laughter again and she smiled at the feel of it. Lifting her chin slightly, she pressed a single kiss against his throat. 

    “All hail the King.” She breathed against him before pulling away to join the fray of the women. 

 

 

    *** 

 

    Morning had come and he had found himself restless. Sleep had not found him at all. In his dreams, there she was dressed in her foreign yet alluring dresses. Instead of the more agreeable ways in which he wished to interact, there she was with a dagger. She’d allow him to get close enough, feel and touch her body. Even pleasure her. Then when he would make the move to penetrate her, the blade would cut into his back. Blood would spill all over her hands and she’d begin to laugh as he lay dying. The life would drip out of him and the faces of the women he’d slain would all join hers until they conjoined and become a big frightening blob. Sighing, he lifted a hand through messy hair. It was most unsettling. 

    “Pyeha, the crown prince requests your presence.” Throat tightening, his mouth scowled and he narrowed his eyes. 

    “Tell the son of a bitch to go to hell.” Reaching forward, he grabbed an ewer of last night’s wine and lifted it to his lips. 

    “Tell me yourself.” Lowering the container, he sneered at him. 

    “What the hell do you want?” 

    “I’ve come to deliver your wine.”

    “I have my wi-” He stopped suddenly at the realization and grinned. 

    “Did you volunteer to do it?”

    “No.”

    “I don’t believe you.” Stepping into the room, he placed the silver tray on his table. 

    “You look like shit.” He observed, stepping out of the way as the empty ewer came flying at him. Lifting hands, he brushed imaginary drops from his hanbok, sage green and navy. 

    “You feel like you’ve won? Of course, you have you bastard. What you’ve always wanted has finally come true.” 

    “Actually, I never wanted any of this.”

    “Piss off. You’ve always hated me.”

    “You’ve always hated me.” He replied smoothly, eyes empty as he stared down at him. 

    “Your jealousy and your obsession with my woman was the cause of the rift between us.”

    “Pah.”

    “You chose that path yourself. You chose to hate your only brother. You chose violence, murder, and rape… you chose this life.” He growled under his breath as he crossed his arms. 

    “Whatever. You’ve done your deed. Get out.”

    “Not going to make a big show before I do?” Snarling up his teeth, he flashed a dark angry look his way. 

    “It’s kind of your thing. One more for the road?” 

    “Fuck you.” Chuckling mirthlessly, he uncrossed his arms. 

    “I hear the flames of hell are terribly hot. Hope everything has been worth it Hyung.” Turning, he began to head to the door before stopping. Throat tight, he opened his mouth to say something else but his pride…the fury in his belly wouldn’t permit him to even utter it. Clenching his fists, he opened the door and closed it shut behind him. I wish things had of been different. 

 

 

*** 

 

    It had still been dusk in the sky, the early morning light not yet reaching the horizon. 

    “My Lady…it’s time to go.” Opening blood shoot eyes, she stared up at the ceiling. 

    “We must go before daybreak my Lady. Please.” Sighing loudly in annoyance, she slowly lifted up. Watching as her maids began to gather her bedding and other belongings, she swallowed a sour taste that persisted in her mouth. The day had come. She was to leave the life she’d known for more than half of her existence. The reality of it had brought a myriad of emotions. She’d cried. She’d protested…refusing to go. Demanded that they just kill her. Things had been thrown and beautiful expensive jars smashed. Even paint had been splattered over sheets of canvas here and there in messy chaos. 

    “Where is my coat?”

    “Here, my lady.” One of the maids helped her into it and proceeded to leave her, going to assist in carrying her things out to waiting palanquins. Her heart seemed to shatter the more she looked around the room, the place that she called home…now would be no more. She’d go back to her family estate and be forced to leave all of this splendor. What a pity. 

    “We will be ready soon my Lady.” Ignoring the girl, she lifted fingers to drift across the shiny wood chairs and fine lush walls. Letting her hand drop from the lush extravagance, she laid it upon her stomach. Her conversation with Mishil had been on spin wash and repeat in her head and since then she had trouble sleeping. Dreams of a smiling Mishil slicing open her stomach rousing her with screams of terror. Since then… she had contemplated suicide… quiet and within the confines of her beautiful palace chambers. 

    For some reason, she couldn’t do it. She couldn’t plunge the knife into her heart.

    “It’s time Lady Jae-hwa. Let’s hurry.” Her hand left her abdomen and she accepted the assistance out to the palanquin. She thought she would not want it…the child. Since there was no gain…no profit to be made…she thought she would consider the growing nuisance an inconvenience. But…even though it was born of the demon seed from the manic prince…how was she to part with it? It was after all a part of her too. It was…for a little while yet something still hers to have. 

 

*** 

 

    Waves crashed upon the docks and the smell of the sea overwhelmed the small port city. Chest tight, he moved not until the ship anchored. Turning, he faced the men who had come a long way from home. They stood at attention, their faces and bodies showing the effects of war. Some of them wore hanbok. Others wore their native garments. They stared straight ahead, appearing tall and powerful. 

    “Brothers, the time has come for you to return home.” All were quiet as he continued, 

    “Mother Kush shall open her arms to you, her loyal sons full of honor and dignity.” Tiye who had stood back aways now joined him, standing at his side. At once, they dropped to their knees and outstretched their hands to her. 

    “Once you step into the warm embrace of our great Mother, your reward shall be given to you. A handsome bounty of gold, land, and positions of high court awaits you.”

    “We are not worthy of such a reward.” Smiling, she stepped forward and gently laid hands down upon each head. 

    “An even greater reward awaits you in the next life. For your bravery and obedience, Osiris shall judge you well.” 

    “We are not worthy.” 

    “Stand.” At once they did and she eyed each one of them. 

    “Some of you have families back home who will be overjoyed to see your return.” Stoic, the men awaited her next words. 

    “A few of you have expressed the desire to stay in Goryeo, the few of you that have found love. Others desire to continue their service to me. For that, I am most grateful. I shall accept and grant your request.”

    “Thank you great our gracious one.” She joined Cheol-su’s side once more. 

    “Be well. Live long. Prosper.” 

    “We await your return to us Princess.” 

    “As for you Brother Sekhemrekhutawy, we have full confidence that you shall care and provide for our future Queen. Be well and prosper. May your reign last forever.” 

    “Thank you, Brothers.”

    “We await your return to us as well.” He smiled and clasped arms. At her kiss to the forehead bidding farewell, they began to board. As the lot of them stood upon the deck of the ship, he bowed low. Eyes took in their princess, clothed once more in the garment of her adoptive land. A complementary canary yellow dotted jeogori and dotted fresh green chima. A plum color at the collar, waist, and hip trim, it appeared tasteful, vibrant, and elegant. Much like their sovereign. She too bowed low. The anchor was lifted and slowly the ship began to move.  The two of them remained in a bow until the ship pulled out of the harbor. Taking hold of her hand, Cheol-su kissed it. Those two or three that decided to stay turned on their feet, following them as they headed back the road in which they came. 

 

 

*** 

 

    The news had spread. Wang Seo Jun was dead. Talk of it hummed in the kitchens, in the halls as servants and maids scurried by. And…it existed openly in the harem. It was mostly all the same. Prince Cheol-su had delivered his wine. Given only a day, it was said that he refused any food or drink after that and slowly descended into a state of mania. He destroyed his chambers, ripping to shreds his clothes and bedding. Throwing the low desk over on its side, he threw so much of a fit that his hair came undone. 

    He’d grown very pale they said and began talking to himself…talking to those he thought he saw. When the servants entered the next morning, it was said that the poisoned tea had been consumed. Blood had trickled out of his mouth and splattered the front of his pure white hanbok. It left a pool staining the floor underneath where he lay. Groans of excruciating pain were heard and yet no assistance was given. They said when they found him the next morning, his eyes glassy and frozen in a wide permanent stare of fear, a single cut to the throat was seen. Even more shocking, his baji had been shredded to pieces and his manhood was cut off.

    The frightening thing about it all they said was that there was no knife to be found. Nor was there any such person seen carrying such a weapon into his chambers. Any and everything that could have been used to slay himself outside of the poison had been removed. And so…where did the blade come from? And why was the slice to the throat and his body mysteriously gone the next morning after his body was found? 

    “It’s ridiculous.”

    “You think so?”

    “There is no way I believe that.”

    “I think that people embellished for scare value.” 

    “That pig died from poison. Nothing else.”

    “Right.” 

"I heard the poison they gave him completely melted his insides to mush. I heard it shut down all of his organs one by one until they all gave out."

"Pah... there's no such thing that can do that."

"How would you know?"

"I'm just glad the bastard is finally dead. After all he did to terrorize us...the women he raped and killed... it serves him right. I wish more had been done to him." Talk soon settled down and the women all sat in different places scattered in the great room, jeogori stripped off and cast aside. 

    “Gods… it’s getting so hot. It’s still spring yet.”

    “You know that means we are in for a brutal summer.” 

    “Ugh…it’s not even noon yet and I am sweating like a horse.” Hands flapped hands and fans, turning to see Hae amongst them, fanning away. She too had removed her jeogori, her entire upper half exposed. The eyes of the women glanced at each other, shit-eating grins springing up onto their faces. Small red hickeys decorated her neck, further down above her collarbone. There on the sternum, on the swells of both breasts, and on the sides. Her nipples pressed flat looked like love marks themselves, the testament to the quite…aggressive suckling. 

    “Hae-eonnie…” 

    “Hm?”

    “Why are your nipples bruised?” The question had been innocent, one of the newer additions to the harem young and inexperienced yet. Those who were older chuckled and grinned, all waiting for Hae to reply. She found that she couldn’t… her entire face the same red as the marks that littered her body. 

    “I’m sure you’ll find out soon enough young one.” Jae-Ri answered, circling her arms around the confused and very concerned girl. 

    “It looks like it hurts. I don’t want to find out…” 

    “We can only pray that you find a man like Hae and Tiye-eonnie. A man who will only appear to make it look as though it hurts.” The girl blushed and Hae did too. 

    “It’s about time eonnie. Finally. You let him have you.” She smirked some but otherwise said nothing, falling back on the ondol floor. 

    “Speaking of Tiye-eonnie where is she?” Jae-Ri let go of the girl’s shoulders and flashed a wide grin. 

    “You haven’t heard? She’s preparing for marriage.” Eyes grew wide. 

    “EH?”

    “She’s moved to the Detached Palace.” 

    “That was where Jae-hwa once was.”

    “No, she never got a chance to make it there. She stayed in her own designated quarters. A gift from the prince when they were younger.”

    “Ah…”

    “Tiye-eonnie is the first to inhabit the palace.” 

    “How romantic…”

    “Which ritual are they on?”

    “I have no idea. But rumors in the kitchen is that the prince and the king have already spoken of a date.”

    “And when will that be?”

    “Two months time.” 

    “Two months time…I wonder if she’s scared.” Hae smiled to herself. 

    “Scared no. Excited very.”    

    “You think so? She’s getting ready to embark on a journey she can never come back from.” Eyes finding the ceiling, the smile on Hae’s face grew deeper. 

    “It’s a moment she’s been waiting on for a long time.”  






Chapter End Notes:

A/N: OMG FAMILY! WE ARE HERE!!! EEEEEEE! THE LAST ARC IS APPROACHING! HOW DOES IT FEEL? SEO JUN IS FINALLY DEAD. WHAT DO YOU THINK? DO YOU THINK THAT CHEOL-SU HAD SOMETHING TO DO WITH IT? For those who think that his death was too merciful and not painful...think again. I know we all wanted a more gruesome death but was his death really full of mercy? lol *taps chin* I've gone through everything from having him beheaded to hung but I also wanted to keep this historically accurate. lol. Princes were (not to my knowledge) beheaded or hung very often if at all? So, the scenario with the poison is actually what would have happened based on the research I did. 

I for one am satisfied. He's GONE Y'ALL. WHAT A FEELING. I'm so satisfied...like... *happy sigh* And with Jae-hwa being forced to leave the palace... stripped of her title THAT is even more satisfying. She's not completely destitute but it's humiliating that she's returning home a disgrace to her aristocratic family pregnant, unmarried and in exile. YIKES. Not only that but in a way Mishil did to her what Seo Jun did to her. Even though Jae-hwa's child will live... she will legally not have any rights. She's basically losing her child too. That is... cruelty at its finest folks. Whew. 

Our princess is about to become Queen and our prince King. Are y'all ready? heheheehehe. I'll see you in a little while okay? Thanks for all the love and support! When I return, we will conclude Yeonwang! God bless and love you all! 

DL~

 

OUTFITS? SURE! 

Tiye:

 

I imagine Cheol-su to have looked like this:

And Hae I am super salty I did NOT save the picture to my laptop LOL UGHHHUGHUGHUGH it was SO BEAUTIFUL








Enter the security code shown below:
Note: You may submit either a rating or a review or both.

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.