Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

 

Yeseot 

(six)




Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.




    Spring 1033 


    Five gathered in the library, an expansive roll of parchment spread across one of the tables. The light of mid morning filled the room. 

    “We haven’t figured out how we are to get our caravan across the mountains. The horses will not survive. Hell, we won’t survive.” 

    “Not to mention the mountains are prime Mongol territory. Thieves, criminals, troupes of ragtag gangs favor them as well.”

    “We must find another way to get to the Palace.” All of them had spoken but one. Lifting eyes from the paper, he spoke. 

    “Tiye, what are your thoughts?” She looked up from the paper. 

    “I shouldn’t have a say on this…it’s not my call.” Standing up, he hadn’t let her escape his gaze, coming to stand right in front of her. 

    “I asked for your thoughts Tiye. Not what you think you have a right or don’t have a right to.” Blushing, she cleared her throat and finally wiggled her tail away from him, coming to stand center of the table. 

    “This territory is as foreign to us as ours is to theirs. But, allow me to ask you all something. How is that the Mongols have successfully attempted invasion in a land they know nothing about?” The men grew silent. 

    “Spies.” She answered with a small smile. 

    “That’s obvious.” The man named Mal-Chin scoffed, rolling his eyes. 

    “So obvious that you remained silent.” He retorted with a glare, one that dared him to show her another ounce of disrespect. 

    “Continue.” He urged, letting his eyes fall on her. She gave a nod of thanks.

    “Our trip is planned for this upcoming summer. Would it not benefit us to have knowledge of the roadways, mountain passes and rivers? Wet and dry land? Where best to hunt and where best to make our camp? Right now, we are doomed before we even start. It’s foolish to charge in there demanding to have an audience with Emperor Renzong. On their home land.” He nodded, coming to stand beside her. 

    “She’s absolutely right.”

    “Wangja-nim, how do you propose we gather up a spy and send them to Song within enough time? If we were going to do that, it should have been done by now.” The other man named Sang-Ook countered, hands firmly clasped behind his back. Glancing at the markers he’d placed on the map, he clenched his jaw. 

    “I will come up with something.” The three men sighed and were relieved when they were dismissed. Lowering herself into the chair behind her, she let out a loud exasperated sigh. 

    “It seems I have a lot to prove being on this team.” She said with an eye roll. 

    “The men aren’t used to you…to a woman with more than a pretty face.” Coming back towards the desk, he leaned down, hands pressed on the wood. 

    “That’s why your voice will be heard every opportunity that presents itself.”

    “Even if they do not wish to hear it?” He smirked some, lifting a hand to rest on top of her head. 

    “Your opinion is valuable to me. That’s the end of the story. Hm?” Smiling at him, she drew her eyes away from him, eying the hands in her lap. 

    “Yes Wangja-nim.” The door to the library opened and to the both of their surprise, the King strolled in surrounded by a host of advisors. 

    “Father,” He distanced himself from her but only slightly. 

    “What is it that you two find yourselves doing this day?” At his question, Tiye created further distance. 

    “We were-”

    “I was asking the girl. Not you.” Palms beginning to sweat, she answered strongly but humbly, eyes never having left the floor. 

    “Wangja-nim requested my presence here. I simply followed orders is all Taewang-nim.” 

    “Your presence was needed for what purpose?”

    “To discuss the upcoming trip to Song.” At that, he laughed. 

    “What place would you have discussing something so private? Surely you lie.” 

    “She’s right Father. I asked her here.” Sharp eyes turned to his son. 

    “Is that so?” 

    “Tiye’s loyalty to me is unquestionable. Rest assured that she will not foil our plans or expose them. If you have enough faith to allow her to go with me on this journey then surely she should be included in the conversations about it.” Lips grew tight. 

    “You’re dismissed.” With a bow, she quietly proceeded to leave. 

    “Are you ready for it?” He asked, coming over to browse the plans laid out before them. 

    “More and more each day.” 

    “Your archery?”

    “Superior to Hyung-nim’s” At that, his gaze lifted. 

    “So you claim hm?”

    “Hyung-nim’s provided a welcome inspiration these past months Father. It is to him that you should thank for my revitalized vigor.” 

    “Perhaps you should use that vigor and put it to good use in the harem as well. It’s been months since you visited.” At that, he grew still. Licking his lips, his fingers drew together tightly.

    “Right now, my attentions are being focused elsewhere.” 

    “I see.” A smirk spread on the lips of the man before he cleared his throat. 

    “All of this is unnecessary.” Motioning to the scroll beneath him, he clucked his tongue in disapproval.

    “Why is that?”

    “You will be traveling with a caravan that I have personally selected. Emperor Renzong will see to it that you make it to him safely and so will I.”

    “Do the people in this caravan know the way around the thieves’ and Mongol territory?”

    “Indeed they do.”  The question he really wanted to ask was on the tip of his tongue but it seemed that his Father was one step ahead. 

    “I didn’t reveal anything to you because I wanted to see how you would lead.” Glancing around the library, for the first time since he was a boy, a pleased smile teased his lips. 

    “You’ve done well thus far and I must say that I am impressed.” He moved not as the man began to roll up the scroll. 

    “There is another path to reach the Kingdom of Song, one that is highly secretive. Only the nobility use it and any outsider that gathers wind is put to death.” Tying it with the small thread, he looked up at him. 

    “You will use it.” Without another word, he made his exit, the advisors hastily following behind him. Taking a breath, he went back over to the table, eyes on the scroll.   His Father’s games were irritating him but he knew that he meant to challenge his mental, emotional, and physical strength. Gathering his hands into fists, he pushed off of the table to head towards the door. He would continue to find out that he was not the weak link. In fact, he would make it his mission to rise above every assumption and doubt he possessed. He would show them all what a mistake it was undermining him. 


*** 


     “Braid my hair.” After spending the later part of the morning in the kitchen, she’d been taken by surprise of a request to tend to Wangtaejabi-nim. She’d been ushered into a separate part of the palace she’d never before seen and she was enraptured by its beauty. Modeled after the palaces of the Tang Dynasty, the grand red pillars and sweeping fan ceilings took her breath away. Once taken past the gate, brilliant red and green surrounded her, painted on the walls and planted in the lush gardens. She wasn’t given much time else to admire anything because she was escorted down one of the long halls to an elaborate set of doors.     

    “Wangtaejabi-nim, the girl is here as you requested.” 

    “Ah! Good.” A female voice answered within and soon the doors were opened. She looked into the face of Wangja-nim’s bright faced younger sister Mishil. And from there, a new adventure awaited her. 

    “Did you hear me?” Snapping out of her thoughts, she bowed her head in apology. 

    “I’m sorry Wangtaejabi-nim.” She watched as she slowly took her hair out of the kept braid it was in. The young woman watched curiously as she part three slivers of her hair and began to weave them together.     

    “Fascinating.” She didn’t say a word, only finished the smaller braid until it hung down her back. 

    “I remember being little and seeing your hair in this manner.” 

    “Yes.” She quietly answered as she started another braid. 

    “I wonder why you wear the style. What purpose it serves.”

    “There are many reasons.” 

    “Such as?” She finished the tail of the second before licking her lips. 

    “I’ve observed the many styles the women here wear. Most show status, age, even if the particular woman is of marriageable condition or not. In my culture, the hairstyles mean the exact same thing. They just look different.” The princess remained quiet as she continued to braid until the style was complete. Face full of delight, she lifted hands and ran her fingers down across the plaits. 

    “Amazing.” She simply bowed her head. Turning to face her, she stared at her for a little while, the intensity of it making her more than uncomfortable. 

    “If only you were Korean.” The girl suddenly lamented before clucking her tongue. At that, she blinked in confusion. 

    “I’m…I’m sorry?” Twirling around, she watched as the braids twirled with her. 

    “You know…my Oppa-nim likes you.” The girl breathed as she stopped and turned to face her again. Her cheeks grew warm. 

    “He likes me you say.” It wasn’t a question but a statement of slight disbelief. 

    “Of course he does. You are his favorite. You are his special one.” 

    “Ah.”

    “He would probably be really embarrassed if you found this out but I’m going to tell you anyway.” Giggling quite girlishly, she came back to her and sat down in front of her. 

    “One of the concubines told me that a couple months ago Oppa-nim came to visit her, drunk from a night of drinking. She said that he thought she was you.” Her fingers began to fidget and as much as she wanted to stop her from continuing, she knew she couldn’t. 

    “He’d never before been so responsive she said. From the moment he entered her, she said he showed her care and tenderness unlike any of her other royal patrons.” As she spoke, her body had grown just as hot as her cheeks and she gripped her fingers together tightly now, knowing that Mishil was toying with her. She had to be. A little grin teased her lips. 

    “She told me pleasure made him unrecognizable, his voice, one she had never heard before, giving her chills. He spoke such sweet nothings to her, dirty things about how her body made him feel.” She lifted her gaze from her lap and eyed the princess, smirk now in full effect, humor laced with disgust dwelling in her eyes. 

    “At the end, he almost finished inside of her but she begged him, pleaded with him not to fill her womb but rather her mouth, a mouth that had enabled his fantasy of bedding a foreign slave. And so he did, superabundantly she added, your name on his lips as he surrendered to her peony scented kiss.”

     “Why are you telling me this Wangtaejabi-nim?” She asked quietly, gaze strong. 

    “It’s humorous is it not? That a man destined to rule as the Dragon of Goryeo would desire someone like you.” Her nails stabbed the skin of her fingers. 

    “Even a common whore would be considered better… more fitting to bear the child of the future God King.” She laughed some and turned to face herself in the large expansive mirror in front of them. 

    “I’ve grown tired of the savage style and my fun is done. Take it out.” She ordered with a sigh. Coming behind her, the desire to yank the hair underneath her fingers out hit her hard in the stomach. But they were gentle, carefully so, as they began to unravel her hard work. The lash awaited her should she do it but not even the promise of 100 lashes could get rid of the desire. 

    “You’re upset.” The girl mused, humor in her voice. 

    “Only because you and those of your kind keep insisting that my culture is related to savagery. It’s incredibly insulting…wangtaejabi-nim.”

    “Ah. Well, only a savage would be given the life you have. Surely the gods didn’t favor you because had they, you’d have a better status…you’d have been given the chance perhaps to be with the likes of my Oppa-nim…in totality and without care like Jae-Hwa.” Her fingers tightened in the girl’s hair and she yelped as she tugged, turning to slap her. 

    “What good will you be to him if you are dead?” She hissed, youthful face turning into something else. Someone else. Shoving her back, she stood up. 

    “For such a young girl, you are filled with evil. It makes me pity you. Such female promise wasted because you’ve been lied to, led to believe that your people, your way and your blood gives you right to harass, demean and ruin other people.” As she turned on her feet, she could hear the girl yell for the guards. Immediately, a host of them entered the room and the girl sneered as she stood. 

    “She has offended me! Take her to the lash!” 

    “Yes Wangtaejabi-nim.” They grabbed her up and forced her protesting body from the quarters. Laughing at her retreating form, the girl stood, hair once straight as silk now curly from the braids. 

    “I hope it was worth it slave bitch.” She grinned before beckoning gungnyeo to come in to tend to her. 




*** 


    It was the rowdy noise that roused him from his studying. Looking up, he knit his eyebrows together. 

    “Wangja-nim!” An attendant came in, face and voice panicked. He recognized him as Byung-Ho the stable boy. 

    “They whip your servant in the main courtyard!” 

    “What?” 

    “Come quickly!” Tossing aside the books, he followed the boy outside. What on earth had Tiye gotten herself into now? Nearing the crowd, he felt his entire body chill as he witnessed the scene before him. She’d been tied up to a post, hands and arms extended high above her. Her jeodori had been taken off and her chima had been sliced straight down the middle, exposing her back, legs and bottom. Already, they were tainted with blood, long narrow gashes littered across the flesh. 

    “I demand to know what is going on. Now.” He bellowed, pushing past the many court ladies and gentlemen who had gathered to watch the spectacle. There up on a dais was his sister, grinning from ear to ear. 

    “Ah, Oppa-nim! Glad you could join us.” 

    “What is this Mishil?” 

    “Let’s call it a little law and order shall we?” 

    “Of what?” 

    “Your slave put her hands on me and shoved me!” An aghast groan collectively gripped the crowd and they all watched in excitement as another lash was delivered. The muffled scream of pain brought his heated gaze away from the girl. 

    “You there! Stop!” But the man, caught in his own form of excitement, delivered another one to her legs, which forced them to buckle and she fell on her knees as new streams of red soon traveled down broken skin, dripping onto the ground. He caught the hand of the man and forced his arm behind him. 

    “I said stop.” He growled shoving the man away from him. 

    “Do not lay another blow to her.”

    “So, is this the example you are to set for your subjects then little brother?” Eyes turned to the scowling man who came to stand to the right of their sister. 

    “This does not involve you.” He said with a voice full of bite. 

    “The dirty little bitch assaulted your one and only sister. Yet you defend her.” 

    “Her punishment is not for you to overtake. You or Mishil.” 

    “Oh?” Seo Jun asked, eyebrow lifted. 

    “Father was very clear when he gave her to me just who she belonged to. He did not name you or Mishil. It was to ME that she was presented.” Yanking off his jeoduri, he wrapped it around the trembling woman, blood soon soaking through the silk. 

    “I will deal with her offense.” 

    “How? How will you do that?” His sister asked, standing, hands pressed to her stomach. 

    “It’s not your concern.”

    “Will it once again be with the concubines?” She sneered, only to have it wiped off her face with a slap, his hand taking her roughly by the chin. 

    “Don’t forget that I am your older brother young one.” Her eyes grew watery but nevertheless she remained quiet, meekly bowing her head before him. 

    “I’m sure there are other things for you all to do. See that you return to your duties.” He demanded to the crowd who immediately began to scatter. Glaring at his brother one final time, he descended the dais and knelt behind Tiye. He helped her stand. Holding her hand tight, he carefully led her to the medicinal quarters, chest burning with rage. 






Chapter End Notes:

 

A/N: Mishil is something else...for being as young as she is. Roughly, in my mind she is about 12-13 years old. I imagine her having a sweet serene face but a countenance and behavior that changed depending on her mood. If you upset her then all hell will unfortunately break loose for you. But if you are obedient... no matter what the request is... she will continue to let you live. WHEW. I'd stay far away from that lil girl LOL. Can I just say that I am like... in love with Cheol-Su?! Like... gawd. What a man lol. Okay lol. So... I figured I can't leave y'all hanging like this... so.... one more update? And then I give it a lil while for it to sink in for y'all before I come at y'all again lol. Gon click that next button hehe. 

D&L

 

Terms: 

Wangtaejabi-Crown Princess 

Oppa- Older brother/big brother. Said by females. Hyung is for males. 

Below is Kang Ha Neul as visual for Cheol-Su appropriately seated in what looks like a library LOL Only thing is that he does not have his hair pinned up as Kang Ha Neul does. <3 

His hair accompanied by his visual Park Taemin: 

Tiye's aesthetic:

 







Enter the security code shown below:
Note: You may submit either a rating or a review or both.

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.