Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Beta Reader: Jsilver2000    

 

Summary:

Stonn was trying to soothe his bruised ego with a discussion with T'Pring, which she refuses to elaborate her reasons on the Kal-i-farr. While back on Earth; Kim Kelly has decided to make Sarek and Amanda news worthy over Spock's wedding, with dramatic results. Now Saana had been celebrating her new outlook on life and had slowly begun dating an acquaintance in town. Over the weekend, she was planning to go on a casual date with Reuben, who was ecstatic about the fact that Saana was taking an interest in him. Not one of his associates could believe it. Reuben was his shop, holding court:

See the source image




Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


"You have been so happy lately, Reuben. What is making you smile?" Tau asked, noticing that Reuben had been secretive and happy for about two weeks.

His customer Gatura had noticed as well and wondered what was keeping his old friend occupied. He chimed in, chuckling: "Yes, this is true! Where have you been lately? You missed the soccer match and the card game too."

Reuben smiled and continued to cut Gatura's hair. Gatura glanced at Tau because Reuben wasn't paying any attention to their banter.

A sly smile spread across Tau's face: "Aw! If it's not his children, then it must be-a-WOMAN!"

That statement broke the spell Reuben was under: "What?" he asked, looking up from his work.

"It is a woman?" Gatura had seen Reuben react in the mirror and leaned forward and turned his head toward his barber.

Tau saw the shocked look on his face: "Who is she, Reuben? You must tell us!"

Reuben stared at his close friends: "You are correct that a woman is taking up my time. But I am reluctant to reveal who she is yet."

Tau looked disappointed and snapped, "Why? Is she married, and you're ashamed?"

"We are in the talking stages, and I am trying to make her feel comfortable because she's very timid."

"This is good for you, Reuben-having a lady friend," Gatura said, smiling and chuckling.

"Yes, I agree! Tau said. Your happiness shows in your face!"

"She must be some woman if you will not even mention her name," Gatura added.

"She is!" Reuben said, with a faraway look in his eyes as he spoke. "She is worth the wait. We've only gone out a couple of times, but I must say she is the most beautiful woman I have met in a long time."

His two friends gave each other the eye, noticing Reuben's smile and sincerity: "Then we must meet her soon," Gatura declared.

Reuben continued cutting Gatura's hair as he watched the world news monitor mounted on his wall. Then he noticed the feed about a person in their town.

Gatura pointed at the monitor: "Hey, they are saying that there is a celebrity living here in our town!"

The three men looked up at the monitor and saw the news story discussing the University of Rhodes. Reuben requested that the volume be increased:

"Hello, people of Grahamstown. I'm Kim Kelly with World Entertainment News. It appears that the mother of the famous couple resides in Grahamstown and works at the University of Rhodes! She is Dr. Saana Uhura, the mother of Nyota Uhura."

An image of Saana appeared on the screen.

Reuben dropped his tools and stared at the monitor in shock.

Gatura and Tau whistled at the same time: "What a looker!"

"She lives here with us?" Tau asked.

Reuben started to feel jealous and commented with pride: "Gentlemen, I would like to introduce you to you my girl, Saana. This is the woman that I've been seeing."

Gatura shook his head in disbelief: "No way!"

"What do you mean 'NO WAY'?" Reuben demanded.

Gatura and Tau simultaneously understood that Reuben was not kidding around and quickly changed their tune:

"We-We're sorry! It's just that she looks so sophisticated," Tau said, trying to calm the situation.

"You guys have to leave NOW!" Reuben roared.

Gatura jumped out of his seat and pulled his apron off: "What's the rush?"

"Yeah?" Tau added.

"I've got to get to the university and save my woman; they probably ambushed her there."

Reuben had pulled on his jacket while he was talking to his friends. The two men rushed out of the shop, and Reuben locked up and ran toward home to get his hovercar. On his way, he pulled out his com-link phone and tried to reach Saana.


Meanwhile, at the University of Rhodes, Saana was in class lecturing her 75 students when two security guards approached her, one from each side, distracting her and the students.

"Can I help you, gentlemen?"

The first guard cleared his throat: "Excuse us, Professor Uhura; we need to speak with you in private."

"Of course; I'll need to dismiss my class first."

"Please go ahead; it's quite urgent," the second guard said.

Saana turned toward her students, gave them their next assignment, and dismissed them. When everyone had left, she looked at the two guards, thinking something had happened to her Nyota. She took a deep breath: "Okay, how can I help you?"

The first guard spoke: "There is a crowd of journalists outside the gate requesting to speak with you about your daughter."

Saana gasped, covering her mouth and fighting back tears: "Has something happened to her?"

"No, professor-they just want to interview you about your daughter."

Saana stepped back, looking puzzled: "Why?"

"Have you been tracking the news? Apparently, your daughter and her husband are celebrities, and the people at the gate are news reporters."

The second guard interjected: "Yes, they want to interview you about your daughter; it's a big crowd. Do you wish to talk to them?"

Saana shook her head: "NO!"

"Then we are instructed to take you to the Chancellor's office for your safety."

"SAFETY?"

"Yes. They are getting a little pushy because we won't let them in, and they tried to bum-rush the gate, the first guard replied. "Follow us please, Professor Uhura."

Saana gathered her things from the podium and followed the guards to the Chancellor's office. As she walked, she hoped that she wouldn't be in trouble for causing such a ruckus on campus. The guards reached the main office and knocked on Chancellor Edwards' double doors.

"Sir, Professor Uhura is here."

"Please have her come in."

The guards stepped aside to let Saana in. She walked slowly, with only her clenched hands betraying her nervousness. But she stood firm and ready for anything before the Chancellor. Edwards came to his feet and offered her a chair, giving her a gentle smile.

Saana took a seat in front of his long sleek desk with built-in monitors. Edwards leaned against his desk with his arms folded across his chest, looking down at Saana.

"Saana, were you aware that there are at least 50 reporters trying to find you?"

"No, sir! Not until the security guards informed me."

"I wasn't aware that your daughter was in Starfleet or even married."

"I found out almost a month ago that she got married. I'm really proud of her."

"But currently we have a problem. It seems that your daughter is married to a Vulcan-and not just any Vulcan-but to Ambassador Sarek's son."

"Yes, sir. I haven't met the family yet-well not personally-but my daughter did tell me she was married."

"I just want you to know that I support any decision you make about the media; they can be sharks."

"Thank you, sir! That means a lot to me."

"I can give you time off if you wish to deal with the media. I also can have a substitute take over your classes."

Saana looked up at Chancellor Edwards: "I believe I can do my work, sir."

"It's not the work-it's stress and pressure that you are up against, Saana."

At that moment, her com-link phone rang, and Reuben's face appeared. "Please excuse me for a moment, sir," Saana said, before answering it:

"Hello, Reuben."

"Saana! Are you all right? I saw your picture on the media feed."

"Yes, I'm okay," she said. "I'm in a meeting now. May I call you later?"

"I'm outside the university-there are people out here trying to get in. I wanted to make sure that you're safe!"

"Yes, I'm safe. I'm sitting in the Chancellor's office right now-please go home. I'll be okay. I'll try to call you later."

"Are you sure? I can wait?"

"Mr. Reuben, when it is safe for her to leave, Security will escort Saana home. At the moment, we are waiting for the police to control the media. We don't know how long this will take."

"Who is this?" Reuben asked suspiciously.

"I'm Chancellor Edwards of the University of Rhodes. This situation is new to all of us, but we will make sure Professor Uhura gets home safely."

"Okay," Reuben said. "Is that all right with you, Saana?"

"Yes, for now. Thank you for calling me," Saana replied, ending the call. She looked back at Edwards, who raised an eyebrow.

"Nice friend!" Edwards said. "He seemed deeply concerned about you."

"Yes, he is," Saana replied. "So what do I do in the meantime, Chancellor?"

"You can go back to your office and work, or pick up something in the cafeteria to eat until we get the media crowd down to size. I will contact you when it is safe to be escorted home."

Saana stood up and sighed, straightening her skirt: "Thank you, sir, for helping me."

"You are highly respected among our faculty, Saana. Your research and teaching speak for themselves. The university will always support you. Have a good day."

Saana left and headed to her office. As she was walking, she could hear the media shouting questions in the distance. She entered her office and snapped on her vid-comlink. There she found the pictures of Nyota and Spock. There were older ones, including Nyota's Starfleet Academy graduation picture. Saana shook her head, "Nyota never liked her graduation photo.'"She heard comments on Vulcan and Terran relationships, some good and some bad. Hearing media personalities who knew none of the people involved talk about Spock and Nyota's relationship was painful. Then they started rehashing the 40-year-old controversy over Ambassador Sarek's marriage to Amanda: 'The idea that Sarek would brainwash someone to love him is insane!' Saana thought, clicking off the vid-comlink and returning her attention to her research.

Hours later-when the coast was clear-the security guards knocked on her door: "Good evening, Professor Uhura. Are you ready to be escorted home?"

"Yes, I am-let me get my things."

"The Chancellor has requested that we take you home every day to avoid the media, until the excitement quiets down," the guard said. "He said it was for your safety."

"Did he say for how long?"

"No, Professor."

Saana gathered her things and followed the guards to the back of the building, where a hovercar was waiting. It had no markings on it; she sat in the back seat and looked out the window. As they passed over the crowd of journalists and got to the point where it thinned out, she sighed in relief. Saana sat back and leaned against the headrest, wondering how long she would be able to keep this up. She needed to think of a way to keep this notoriety from affecting her job. She was glad that Edwards was understanding, but she knew he had a university to run and could not afford an ongoing distraction. As they drove up to her condo, she hoped her neighbors wouldn't react to her sudden fame. Saana was glad no one was around. The two guards escorted her to her door.

"Thank you, gentlemen," Saana said sincerely.

"We are glad to be of service, Professor Uhura," one of them said before they left.

Saana entered her condo tired and hungry. She took a shower and started looking for something to eat. She opened her com-link and saw endless emails and messages about Nyota, all wanting to know more about the marriage. Then the com-link buzzed with an incoming message from Reuben, which she answered:

"Hi, Reuben."

"Saana, are you okay-did you make it home safely?"

"Yes, I did. Security escorted me home."

"Would you like me to come over?"

"No, Reuben. I'm really tired tonight. Today was taxing, and I have to get ready for classes tomorrow. But thank you so much for your kindness."

"Not a problem; I wish I could do more."

"The media frenzy should die down in a couple of days."

"When can I see you again?"

"I don't know-maybe this weekend if things with the media calm down. I'll feel uncomfortable if they are following us around."

"I agree. I'll let you rest. Goodnight, Saana."

"Goodnight to you too, Reuben."

Saana ended the call, finished her last bit of work for her classes, and headed to bed. "I hope tomorrow is a better day."

The next day and the day after that did not get better.

Saana had just gotten dressed and was gathering the things she needed to take to the university that day when she heard voices outside her condo. She peeked out the curtains, only to find a mob of reporters at her door. Saana quickly stepped away from the window:

"Thanks to my neighbors, I'm found out!"

Saana grabbed her book bag and lunch and headed out the back door, successfully eluding the reporters. She took her regular transport to the university amidst the stares of the other commuters, who recognized her from the media blitz. She took a five-minute walk toward the university, but as she got closer, she saw the media mob in the distance. She decided to head to the side entrance, where Security was stationed, but she was recognized and a pursuit ensued. Saana moved as quickly as dignity would allow, but she could hear the reporters gaining on her as they shouted their questions:

"Ms. Uhura, why are you hiding?"

"Are you ashamed of your daughter?"

"We want your side of the story!"

"We want to know how Nyota feels!"

"Can you comment on their marriage?"

"Did you go to the wedding?"

"Why is it a secret?"

The guards came out to support her and let her in; then they blocked the reporters. But she heard one clearly say:

"Ms. Uhura, a moment of your time? We want the scoop!"

Saana stood in the lobby trying to catch her breath. She wanted to thank the guards, but they were busy holding back the media. Saana went to her office to set up for her class and found Nelson Banks sitting on her couch.

"Good morning, Saana."

Saana nearly jumped out of her skin: "Nelson! You scared me!"

"Sorry about that. I was just checking in on you. I see the media has made you jumpy."

"They have, and I resent it!"

"You are all over on every network in the world!"

"I am?"

"Sure," Nelson said. He got up and clicked on the monitor and Saana's picture flashed across the screen.

"Ladies and gentlemen, we are here at Dr. Uhura's workplace, trying to get a glimpse of the mother of Nyota Uhura. Who is this mystery woman?"

Nelson turned to her: "I know your daughter went to Starfleet Academy; they tried to ask ME about her! But I didn't give them a thing."

"Thanks, Nelson!

"Do you need me to teach any of your classes?"

"I think I can handle it-thanks!"

"Not a problem! Call me if you need anything. I have to admit, though, you put our university on the map!" Then he left with a smile.

When Saana went to teach her class, she noticed an increase in the number of students. Some of them she never seen before. She started her lecture, as usual, but then five students whom she did not recognize raised their hands.

"If this has to do with the topic of today's lecture, you may ask your questions; if not, please refrain from asking me personal questions at this time."

The hands went quickly down.

"Class dismissed."

When she said that, about 12 students rushed up to her, asking questions. Saana refused to answer; she packed up her things and headed to her office, ignoring the requests. She plopped into her chair and tried to eat her lunch, but then her com-link phone beeped. She checked it and saw her Great Aunt Chandis' image, so she answered.

"Hi, Auntie!"

"Hi, Auntie, nothing!" she snapped. "How did this happen? Your and your daughter's faces are all over the world and beyond!"

"Auntie Chandis, Nyota was married out in space; she's happy and I'm happy for her."

"How can you be? She married an alien! We know nothing about him or his people! Why didn't you tell us that Nyota was married?"

"Auntie, please stop shouting!"

"First you married one of those uppity Uhuras, and now your only child is married to an alien! The family will never live this down!"

Saana started to cry: "Auntie Chandis, how dare you talk to me like that?!"

"This your fault, Saana! Your parents are turning over in their graves!"

With that, Saana snapped the phone-com closed, grabbed a tissue, and wiped her face. For the first time in a long time, Saana felt alone. She sat on the floor and allowed herself a good cry.

"Kayode, I miss you so much! I wish you were here to help me through this situation!"

After a while, she got up and prepared for her next class; when it was over, she was escorted home again by the security guards. Again, a crowd waited for her at her door. But this time the guard informed her:

"Professor Uhura, we were instructed to pick you up at 8 am for the rest of the week. These orders are straight from the Chancellor-he regards your safety as a priority."

"I will be ready tomorrow at that time. Thank you and have a nice evening."

She locked the door and slid down to the floor in exhaustion. The media frenzy was getting to her, but it was not personal and did not hurt like the comments from her great aunt, which were like a knife to the heart. She considered her family-she had always known her family, including her parents, hadn't liked the Uhuras. "But still." Saana got up and sat at her desk, snapping on the holo-vid of Spock and Nyota: "I hope they're not having a difficult time because of their race or heritage. They deserve love like anybody else."

Saana sat there staring at the holo-vids and reflected on what Amanda had said about how things got distorted when she married Sarek.

"She did say that the media was a circus; she didn't lie!"

She remembered what Amanda had said about fighting for the children-at that moment, Saana decided to fight for hers:

"I may have lost my natural family, but I'm gaining a new one that doesn't judge. I will fight this head-on if need be. I am not afraid!" Saana slammed her fist on the desk to punctuate the thought. She turned on some upbeat music, cooked something to eat, and then got ready for bed and prepared for a brand new day.

The next day, the guards were ready. They parted the media and the crowd from town as they escorted Saana to their hovercar. She could hear the barrage of questions and comments about Spock and Nyota's marriage. She wanted to tell them off so bad! "'No comment', Amanda said." She pursed her lips watched the road ahead.

Before she got out of the hovercar, one of the guards told her that the Chancellor wanted to see her in his office. She headed there first, thinking that he had had enough of her and the media camping out at the university and disrupting the learning environment. When she was escorted to the Chancellor's office, she found herself standing between two tall men dressed in long gray robes. She looked up at one and stared into two deep brown and very sharp eyes. She took in his arched eyebrows and pointed ears, realizing that the two must be Vulcans. They looked young and both had stoic faces.

"Professor Uhura-Saana, these men are from the Vulcan Embassy in San Francisco. Saana, gentlemen, please take a seat."

One of the Vulcans turned to greet Saana, raising his hand in the traditional Vulcan salute: "Live long and prosper. I am Semek, an aide to Ambassador Sern," he said with a slight bow of his head.

"I am Stinek, also an aide to Ambassador Sern," the other said, inclining his head and performing the salute as well. "We have been sent on behalf of Vulcan."

Chairs were moved and they sat in a semi-circle around the Chancellor's desk. Edwards exchanged a worried look with Saana and glanced at the two visitors. He sighed deeply and filled Saana in on the situation:

"Saana, yesterday at about 8 pm, Vulcan released a statement about Commander Spock and your daughter, Nyota. The media misinterpreted that statement, in which they referred to Commander Spock as a-a prince. The media ran with it, and it's way out of control."

"S'chn T'gai Spock is a s'haile among his people." Stinek explained.

"A 'leader' would be the proper term in your language," Semek added.

Edwards looked at the two Vulcans and then back to Saana: "They came here with proper identification and orders to take you to safety."

Saana became alarmed: "But why?"

Semek turned to Saana: "We had been advised that you would be attending the wedding reception once the date was set. It has been brought to our attention that the date has been determined, and your presence on Vulcan is required to participate in that activity."

"I have to leave Earth now?"

"Affirmative."

"What about my daughter and Commander Spock? They are both on a starship somewhere in space-are they coming home?"

"We do not have information at this time on their itinerary or arrival date, Professor Uhura. Everything is, as you say, 'on standby'," Semek explained as best he could in Terran terms.

"But I don't have my traveling documents; well, they're not fully complete."

"We are instructed to provide and present any documents necessary for your travels. They will be available upon your arrival at the Vulcan Embassy."

"What about my work?"

Edwards gave her a reaffirming look and smiled: "Please don't worry about your classes or your research. They will be here when you return. I can put you on a paid sabbatical, being that your trip will be somewhat of a cultural exchange. Don't stress about this, Saana. You are going to see your daughter and son-in-law. What you don't need is the media circus outside these walls."

"They made so many mean and misinformed comments about them."

"Yeah, that is how it often goes with the media-I did see some media personalities playing it like a romance story. And it is, Saana-so be happy and enjoy your trip."

"You're right, sir. I will. Thank you, sir."

"Good! Then it's settled. Go home and pack. Semek and Stinek will accompany you for your safety. I hope you have a safe and wonderful trip, Saana. You deserve this! Godspeed to Nyota and her husband."

Chancellor Edwards stood up and shook her hand. The two aides took their leave of the Chancellor, performing the Vulcan salute:

"Live long and prosper."

Saana gathered some of her things from her office while the Vulcans stood guard. Her colleague Nelson Banks came by:

"Saana, you're leaving?"

"Yes, Nelson. I'm going to the Vulcan Embassy and then to Vulcan to be with my daughter."

"That's wonderful! I'll miss you, but have a safe trip." He went over and hugged her.

The two Vulcans simultaneously raised an eyebrow at the unusual (among Vulcans) display of physical affection.

They left the university from the far side of the campus to avoid the media and took a hovercar to her place, only to find the neighbors and more media milling around. When the Vulcans exited the car, a quietness passed through the crowd. Then Saana stepped out. The men made a path to her door, but reporter who was not easily intimidated broke the silence:

"Ms. Uhura, what is your stand on mixed marriage with aliens?"

That broke the spell, and the other reporters started to shout questions too:

"How does your daughter feel about being married to a prince?"

"Ms. Uhura, are the Vulcans kidnapping you?"

"Why did you let your daughter marry a Vulcan?"

Saana stood at the top of her steps and glared at the crowd. She wanted to say something to stop them from disrespecting Nyota and Spock.

"NO COMMENT!" she said sternly.

She turned and entered her house, followed by the Vulcans. She locked the door and took a deep breath. She looked up at the two quiet men and wondered what they thought.

"I will go and pack my things. Would you like some tea, gentlemen?"

The two men looked at each other and nodded in agreement. Stinek said, "Affirmative, Professor Uhura. I will take a post at the front door, and Semek will position himself at the rear door."

Saana went into the kitchen and started the process of making tea. She went to her desk and started gathering things she might need during the trip.

"Semek, Stinek, have either of you met Commander Spock?"

The two men quietly approached her: "We have not officially met Commander Spock in person."

Saana played the vid-photo of Spock and Nyota playing their lyres for the Vulcans to see. The men stared at the image of their fellow Vulcan and his Terran bride. They were surprised that the Terran could play the ka'athyra.

"Nyota learned to play in her early adolescence; she told me it was very hard. But she was determined to learn."

"Yes, it is one of the instruments that has been completely mastered only by the grandmaster, which, in this case, is Ambassador Sarek," Stinek commented.

Saana smiled at that, to think that Nyota could be so good at playing an instrument that was difficult even for Vulcans. She took one more look at the vid-photos and downloaded them into her Padd, which she would take with her.

Saana gave the men their tea and then began packing clothes for her long journey. When she was ready, Saana looked around her home for the last time, not knowing how long she would be gone. Nor did she know how things would stand after the reception. She gave one last smile and told the Vulcans that she was ready.

They escorted her through the crowd again back to the hovercar and sped off to the air shuttle terminal. Saana's flight was smooth and quiet. She gazed through her window, looking at the landscape beneath her. She had never been to San Francisco before. She landed there in the evening; the city landscape was beautiful and a little cooler than Grahamstown had been. They took the hovercar to the Embassy, where she was greeted by a woman aide also dressed in a gray robe:

"Live long and prosper, Professor Uhura. I am T'Zora. I will be assisting you with all your needs."

Saana returned the greeting and thanked them in Vulcansu:

"Your service honors me."

The three Vulcans were surprised, each raising an eyebrow. Saana saw their faces and wondered if she had said it incorrectly.

"Did I say it wrong?"

"No, Professor. Your pronunciation was precise," Stinek said.

"I was in the process of learning Vulcan before the media began to stalk me," she said, quite satisfied to learn that she had said the Vulcan thank-you properly.

"We do have learning modules that will allow you to continue with your education in Vulcansu," T'Zora said.

"That would be nice."

"Now I will escort you to your suite, Professor." T'Zora led Saana to an elevator. Semek and Stinek followed with her luggage.

T'Zora opened the double doors to a suite that was as large as her whole condo.

T'Zora turned to Saana: "We hope you find these accommodations acceptable, Professor Uhura."

"I do. Thank you!"

"In approximately thirty minutes we will have end meal. You are invited to join us, or you may take your meal here in private if you wish."

"I would like to have end meal with you."

"I will return in twenty-nine minutes to escort you."

The three Vulcans left Saana to explore the suite. The furnishings were comfortable and modern. She found the bathroom and got ready for dinner-her first with Vulcans! She was excited and grateful to Amanda for suggesting that she learn some of the Vulcan language. Now she could only think about seeing Nyota and Spock-the feeling of anticipation was killing her, but then a smile formed on her face as she realized, "It won't be long now!"

 












Enter the security code shown below:
Note: You may submit either a rating or a review or both.

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.