Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Beta Reader: VeneaTaur

Summary: The Enterprise just completed a rescue mission, and the ship is heading back on course to Vulcan and more feelings were revealed. We now know that McCoy is attracted to Christine and made LaToya upset over the ship's romance drama. Now we are back on Vulcan, it's been 56 hours since the news of the delay of the Enterprise.

See the source imageSee the source imageSee the source image




Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


 

Final Week: It was Sudden

Meanwhile at Starfleet Command:

Walters entered Admiral Nimetz's office with his Padd.

"Good afternoon, Sir, I have your itinerary ready for your review on Altairs VI." Walters gave Chester the Padd and he glanced at it.

"I had to change the schedule for the Enterprise's arrival on Earth. They had an emergency rescue mission and they will be delayed."

"Do you wish for me to change your living accommodations?"

"No, but add more days to the suite and register a shuttle as well."

Walters gave a quizzical look with his request. "Yes, Sir." Walters left to take care of business.

But Chester leaned back in his chair and wondered if Saana was thinking about him because he's been thinking about her.

"I can't shake that woman out of mind at work! That's bad," Chester thought. He can't help but be attracted to a woman like her; she's a smart and beautiful woman. A beep came across his console, indicating a coded message, he tapped in his code to review it. As he was reading the follow-up of the rescue mission, he noted not one soul was lost. Chester was relieved about that and continued reading the briefs from each captain. They each gave data of the exploding planetoid with a visual, which he played to observe the impact of it. Chester took personal notes for himself and then sent a private message to the captains of the: Hood, Potemkin, and Enterprise for their services. He sent a message to Admiral Upton to inform Captain Morgan to personally escort the Enterprise to Vulcan.

Chester leaned back in his chair and went back to dreaming of the one woman that's keeping him up at nights.


Meanwhile on Vulcan;

Saana was taking in the sites of Vulcan, one of their trips took them further away from the capital and Sarek requested his cousin Shath to escort them to their destinations. This particular trip led them to a smaller city in a different region. As they were strolling in one of the museums, Amanda was guiding Saana around while Shath trailed several feet behind them, with his arm folded behind him. He was content at the opportunity to observe Dr. Uhura at closer proximity, trying to understand Terran female dynamics. He was truly perplexed about them, especially their small 'chit-chat' that produced no meaning. But observing the women, their appearance is contentment of ambiance. With Padds in their hands, the two women slowly strolled through the museum of Art in quietness, which was still new to Saana. When she stood in front of an art form, the Padd gave information through their wireless earpiece. Saana became more fascinated with Vulcan and their way of living, especially their history and technology.

Amanda was more thrilled, it felt good to share simple or deep conversations without being 'logical'. It felt nice to have another female around to have as a friend as Saana had become. It reminded her young adolescent days with girlfriends doing girl things. Amanda smiled on the inside about the moments she had with Saana. "Who knows, she might stay longer than three months."

When the women had tea at one of the shops, they sat together and they continued to talk."It wasn't logical." Shath thought about how humans continue in verbalization for a length of time. He sat quietly and observed their custom of "chit-chat" his thought was interrupted:

"Shath, how long have you been a Healer?"

He turned to answer Saana with an arched brow. "I have been the S'chn' T' Gai Healer for 70.9 years."

Saana's mouth dropped open in shock. "You look so young?"

Shath folded both his forefingers together and tilted his head. "I am 135.4 years old according to our Vulcan rotation. I have reached maturity at 21.3 Vulcan rotation."

Amanda held back a giggle and cleared her throat: "Saana, Vulcans slowly age, and they are not ashamed of it either."

Saana kept staring at Shath, who didn't even have a wrinkle on his face, just streaks of grays in his hair. Vulcan men are handsome, at least the one sitting with them.'I wonder if he's married, the people don't wear rings, how do you know if people are married?"

"Oh my? That is awesome. I wish I had their aging secrets!" Saana commented, laughing.

But Shath kept his piercing eyes on Saana, and she stopped suddenly and quickly went back to sipping her tea. Then another wave of that strange uneasiness she felt again.

Amanda turned to her, "Saana, are you Okay?"

Saana said, nervously looking down at her tea, "Yes, I guess I'm a little tired."

"I know it takes time to get used to Vulcan heat and pressure." Amanda reached over and touched her hand. "Shath, could you get the hovercar?"

"Yes, Lady Amanda." He stood up to retrieve the vehicle.

Amanda looked closely at Saana. "Are you sure you're okay?"

"Yes, I guess it was a long day, and I did enjoy myself. Vulcan is a wonderful planet."

"Good, we should go and get rest, or Shath can check you out."

"I think I'll feel fine once I rest."

"Good because tomorrow we have tea with T'Pau, Sarek's mother."

Saana looked up with shock. "Oh, wow, one of the founders of the Federation? Now I'm really nervous."

"Oh no, she is meeting the mother of the bride, who has her grandson's heart. Which I am quite proud of."

On the way home, Saana felt different and another warmth flooded her thoughts. She slowly drifted her eyes toward Shath and saw him staring at her. Her face wanted to flush with embarrassment." Maybe am I reading my social cues wrong? I think he's flirting with me."


The next day, about mid-day, the three of them proceeded to T'Pau's estate, which was mid-size compared to Sarek and Amanda's. A female Vulcan, T'Lara, greeted them and escorted them to the library. T'Pau was standing at the library shelf pulling a book off, she heard the soft footsteps of her guests. T'Lara went to her and took the book out of her hand and led her to a chair to sit. T'Pau grabbed her staff cane and looked at her new guest, she carefully glanced at Saana and noticed the same glow that brown Terrans give. She, too, looked young for a Terran female by her skin, but she noticed the silver-gray streaks in her hair. Then she looked at Amanda and Shath, bowed her head, and they gave the greeting salute.

"Greeting Matriarch T'Pau," they both said.

Then, Saana gave her greeting as well, "Greetings to you and may you live long and prosper."

T'Pau turned and was astonished that Saana spoke with clarity, "Thee are called?"

"My name is Saana Uhura from the United States of Africa."

"I am Schn'T'Gai T'Pau. Come sit before me."

The three of them took a seat in a semicircle. T'Lara placed the book on the table next to T'Pau and left.

"It was stated that your Vulcansu was commendable, I find it so."

Saana couldn't say much if she wanted to, it was like sitting in front of your grandmother and didn't dare speak unless spoken to. Saana was sitting in the presence of royalty, but this woman had great power just by the way she spoke.

"Thank you, Lady T'Pau"

"Thanks is not necessary, it is the fact, child."

Saana was lost for words, T'Pau was indeed the body of empowerment. Just her voice alone carried authority.

"Mother of Nyota, have you observed our planet with hospitality?"

"Yes, Amanda and Shath have been gracious tour guides. I have learned a lot from the museums and schools."

T'Pau looked at Shath and tilted her head and said: "Shath, your service honors the house of Surak, is her health any concern?"

"The Mother of Nyota in human standards is in commendable health, the implant injection from what I have observed is performing accurately."

T'Pau noticed the resemblance between mother and daughter and was pleased. "Mother of Nyota, are thee bonded or as you say in your terms married?"

"I have been a widow, T'Pau, for some time since Nyota was about twelve years old. I raised her alone, but I did receive support from family from time to time. But I was her primary provider."

"Indeed, thee has done well in the development of thy child. Her accomplishments in Vulcansu are evident. You should be honored for such a task by thyself." T'Pau was pleased that one parent took on the challenge. Sarek was serving with his father before he passed and then with many years of raising Sybok alone.

"I made sure that Nyota was knowledgeable. She excelled in mathematical theories and xeno- linguistics. I made sure she attended an academy to expand her mind."

"Spock as well displayed mathematical capabilities as a youth and nature." T'Pau turned to Amanda and bowed to her in approval.

While Shath listened to Saana's marital status."The female is unattached, fascinating indeed."

T'Lara came in to announce the mid-meal was ready to serve. She directed the guests to the restroom to freshen up and sat and enjoyed their meal. Saana felt so tense during the whole meal, she was relieved that it ended and made it safely back to Sarek's compound.


Sevel informed T'Amanda of a message from the Federation Universal Translator and Amanda took a com-link in her office leaving Shath and Saana alone where he took the opportunity to... engage.

"Saana, did you enjoy your mid-meal?" He asked her while he was standing by the window. Saana sat down and picked up a journal to read.

"Yes I did. T'Pau is a fascinating woman. She has done a lot of work on Vulcan."

"I am glad you have enjoyed the visit and your stay on Vulcan." Shath stepped closer to her.

Looking up at him, Saana felt uncomfortable and quickly distracted his glare. "Shath, do you want some tea? I've learned how to make it."

"That will be acceptable, Saana."

She got up and went into the kitchen and Shath followed her. Saana started to prepare the Vulcan-style mixture with ease. Shath was impressed that she adapted to some basic customs.

"Shath, do you have children?"

"Yes, a daughter. Her name is T'Zora. She is currently in the Diplomatic Corps, stationed in San Francisco."

"Oh my goodness, I've met her, she's the young aide on Earth!"

"Yes, T'Zora has an aptitude for diplomacy as her cousin Sarek."

"And her mother?"

"Her mother T'Varen was also accomplished in the field Historical Art forms has since passed."

"Oh, my respects, Shath, I didn't mean to interfere."

"None is taken. Your inquiry about my deceased spouse is a natural request. Are you bonded, Saana?"

"No, I am not bonded or married according to my customs." Saana heard the water boil and set up two cups and prepared the tea.

"Have you considered re-bonding or marrying in the future?"

"I'm not sure I guess one day."

Shath had heard all he needed to know. He was prepared to engage with this Terran that he has found fascinating. He found Saana's attractiveness overwhelming and curious how his intended bond would react.

Saana had finished preparing the tea and picked up the cup to give to Shath. She extended her hand out, while Shath was looking hard into her eyes, and she fell into a trance. She was drawn to him, just when he was about to touch the cup, he used his forefinger intentionally to touch her skin to rate her response to him. He desired her, this female, he has chosen her.

A deep booming voice broke the spell: "Kroy-Kah!"

Saana almost dropped the tea on the floor, she stepped back in fear and turned to see Sarek and Amanda looking at them with shock. Amanda had her mouth covered, and Sarek had his piercing eyes on both her and Shath. Then Sarek looked at the tea in Saana's hand, then slowly looked at his cousin and saw his intention.

"Aduna, please take Professor Uhura to her room and explain."

"Yes, Sarek. Come Saana. I will explain everything." Amanda's shocked look of Saana rushed over, gently grabbed by her elbow and led her to her room.

Sarek led Shath to his private study and closed the door, and turned to his cousin and spoke sternly. "Explain your conduct?"

"I wanted to connect to the unattached female," Shath stated plainly.

"Their customs are contradictory to Vulcan, Terran bonding consists of more displays of emotions, are you aware of this?"

"I intend to learn about Terran customs."

"Terrans are complex people, especially females of the species."

"But yet you Sarek have been bonded to one for some time."

"Yes, with a great price, my meditation takes days versus hours. More emotions invite unbalance to one's self."

"This Terran female fascinates me, her intelligence and her appearance are aesthetically pleasing. I do not know why I am drawn to her, but I am."

"I assure you, she was unaware of your intent and will cause confusion and distrust to her."

"But yet you are content with your bonding to T'Amanda all these years. You, Sarek, have mastered the overflow of emotions. I must learn this to be compatible with Saana."

"I ask you, my old friend, to consider the cost. You have guided me since my youth and delivered my sons successfully. For that, I am honored. To bond with a female from Terra is a complicated and serious commitment. To move forward, you need her consent, she is new to Vulcan and our marriage custom is new to her as well. This situation will undoubtedly be overwhelming for Saana. If she decides to stay on Vulcan there are possibilities of options of marriage. Saana may decide to return home to continue her employment. She has a free will that succeeds well above other things."

"I wonder if she would consider being bonded on Vulcan and stay?"

"Shath, if she does decide she might consider living on Terra, her home planet. Her life is not committed to you."

"I am honored by your advice, Sarek. I must continue to observe her intention towards me to have clarity."

"No, Shath, you misunderstood. Terran courtship takes consumable time to..partake of your offer of bonding. She too will consider the options of marriage that do not use logic."

Shath gave Sarek a puzzled look after listening to his explanation and will have to wait if Saana will take his offer of bonding.

"I perceive that bonding to a Terran is considered a lengthy thought and plan of action."

"Correct, Amanda was an exception, her logic prevailed, and chose me as her bondmate."


In another area of the compound, a confused Saana listened to Amanda;

"What happened back there? Did I do something wrong?"

Amanda led Saana to her chaise lounge and they both sat.

"Saana, I know there is a lot to learn about Vulcan and all their customs. But, you almost got engaged by giving Shath the tea."

Sanaa's mouth dropped and her hand hit her forehead. "ARE YOU SERIOUS?"

Amanda shook her head yes. "Yes, if he touched you, he could project a simple link that would display his intentions toward you. And with Vulcans, it's always marriage, but he must ask your permission, did he say anything beforehand?"

"Yes, that he was a widower, his daughter in the Diplomatic Corps. But that's normal conversation!" Saana thought about his intense stare at her often, and he is a handsome man too. Now things started to make sense and covered her face for not seeing the signs.

"Yeah, but you're an eligible female that he decided he wanted to marry; you were serving him tea and if he touched you would have been the first step to find out if you are interested. Vulcan's ways of addressing marriage are so different from ours. Plus there is so much for you to learn since you've been here. I'm sorry I didn't mention this part and I didn't think it would be an issue."

"So, how is a Vulcan marriage?"

"Huh? Let's just say it's more intense and complicated than Terran marriages. One thing is that their marriages are arranged as children and they are married for life."

"In some cultures on Earth, there were arranged marriages. This is what I do for a living in historical research of cultures!"

"Not like Vulcanian! Trust me, it's so much more...Let's just say I need Sarek's permission to explain more."

"Will Nyota have to go through this process without letting me know?"

"Hum, no, well not exactly. She doesn't have to worry about the courtship!"

"Good, because my life is already complicated with men already, it's getting worse." Saana flipped her head back in disgust.

"What do you mean?"

"Back on Earth, I was sort of seeing someone. His name is Reuben, he owns and operates a barbershop in town. He asked me out for lunch every now and then so we will have dates. Amanda I haven't dated since my husband, Kayode. I told him we would take it slow and we are. Then Nyota and Spock's marriage was broadcasted and I have been swept away to San Francisco. Then.. then I met Chess and he works at Starfleet." Saana sat up and looked at Amanda discussing her man problems. "He has these grayish-blue eyes, tall, silver-haired that I find so attractive and his mannerism is so romantic. My heart did flip-flops and I can't describe my feelings. And now Shath, I just don't know what to think of this whole thing, Amanda I'm so confused about dating and courtship life. It's been years ... since..any...form...of intimacy."

"Oh I see," Amanda looked at Saana and took a deep breath;. "I have something to tell you, first of all. You are a sexy young woman. You may have been out of the dating game since your late husband. But Saana you and your daughter can slay a dragon with your looks. I'm surprised that you don't have a long list of men following you to Vulcan."

"Amanda!" A shyness fell over Saana, she never thought of herself as exotic looking.

"Saana, you are a babe magnet, this wedding reception will prove it." Amanda started to laugh.

"Oh OH, Amanda. Please, I don't think I'm ready for the dating field."

"Ready or not, once you appear at the wedding reception don't be surprised by multiple proposals. Shath will not like it when other available men approach you."

"Amanda! Please help me."

"First thing, knowing my husband, he is probably telling Shath that Terran females are confusing and crazy and complex. He will try to inform him that we are highly emotional females and it's not worth the attachment."

"Ouch, that hurts! Is that how Vulcan sees us?"

"Yes, in a way, but they have emotions too, they are curbed and suppressed. There are occasions that they let loose. But it is rare."

Amanda sat next to her and held her close. "Don't worry, I will guide you through this. You didn't know about their courtship. I have some books from their past, where they at one point were guided by emotions. It's really deep, it will be great research if you are interested."

"Sure, it would give me a better retrospect of their culture. Will Shath be in trouble for trying to touch me?"

"No, he will be reminded of his responsibilities and he will curb his interest in you."

"I have to confess, I do find him cute. I was just looking, not touching!"

Amanda laughed. "I remember when I worked in the corps. Sarek would give this look that would kill any male that approached me. I'll have you know, Vulcanian are a jealous lot once their emotions are hooked. Then they give their suave look like it doesn't bother them."

"Is Spock like that with Nyota?"

"I'm sure of it. Your daughter doesn't have a chance if some male starts to make moves on his property."

"Property? It sounds so possessive."

"It is and it's romantic to me, and I don't mind."

"I think I see, I am interested in learning about Vulcan customs. Where do I begin?"

"First, are you okay so far?"

"I think so?"

"Then I'll ask Sarek to release a very highly traditional marriage event, but it shouldn't be a problem because you are family."

 












Enter the security code shown below:
Note: You may submit either a rating or a review or both.

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.