Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Beta Reader: Jsilver2000

Chapter 4

Summary: T'Pau is bound and determined to bring Spock home to ceremonially validate his bond with Nyota and present her to Vulcan society as his wife. T'Pau and Sarek have also decided to flex the power of the S'chn T'gai clan to coerce the Vulcan High Command into hosting a reception on Altairs VI in Spock's honor.

 




Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


 

The Battle for Spock-T'Pau's Way

A week later, Solen of the S'oleh-nau clan-the father of T'Pring-received an electronic message stating that even though he had accepted Stonn as his son-in-law, irregularities had occurred during their courtship, rendering the legality of their marriage in question. As he read the message, Solen's eyebrows lifted toward his bangs. Padd in hand, he went directly to the matriarch of his clan and presented the message.

T'Lan was sitting in her garden by a pool when her nephew presented himself with as much concern as would be tolerated by the matriarch.

"T'Lan, we are summoned to the Vulcan High Command to answer to charges relating to T'Pring's indiscretion."

T'Lan had known this day would come-the day to answer the to S'chn T'gai clan for T'Pring's actions during the Kal-i-farr. It caused her great concern. She had known T'Pau for many decades; they had both served as matriarchs to their clans with the shared goal of preserving their people. It was T'Lan who had approved the match 28 years ago; it should have strengthened the clan's position with the High Command. But the silly child hadn't followed protocol and instead used the opportunity to challenge Spock's right to her. Now T'Lan must present her case and defend T'Pring-and more importantly-the clan's position in Vulcan society.

"Indeed, what does the charge consist of?"

Solen stood before his aunt and said, "The High Command is requesting an explanation of T'Pring's choice."

"It is within her right to choose a champion in the Kal-i-fee; no law was broken."

"I am aware of her rights, T'Lan. But they insist on your presence."

T'Lan looked at her nephew: "Your lack of knowledge hinders your understanding; I will go to them."

"Explain, Matriarch."

"The Kal-i-farr has never been documented or laid out in detail for outworlders, especially not the Kal-i-fee! Your daughter T'Pring chose unwisely when she selected the Terran, who had no desire for the Kal-i-farr. He was not considered a champion-and other challengers, at least one, were available. The Terran was unprepared, unskilled, and unaware of the implications of our traditions. With her choice, T'Pring exposed Vulcans' most private traditions to outworlders and risked the life of a highly placed Terran. The consequences could have been severe, resulting in a great loss of status for our people and our culture, not to mention damaging or even destroying our relationship with the Federation. T'Pau could ask for compensation if laws were broken at that time."

Solen stood rigid as comprehension dawned: "Are you implying T'Pau could annul the marriage between Stonn and T'Pring?"

"It is possible for Spockah to reclaim what he has lost, Solen."

"Indeed."

"Go request an audience with Sarek and T'Pau; perhaps we can come to an understanding before the Vulcan High Command intervenes."

Solen left to send a message to the S'chn T'gai matriarch T'Pau.


A few hours later, at T'Pau's compound, Solen and T'Lan met with T'Pau and Sarek. They were all in T'Pau's library when T'Lara served tea.

The two elder women seated themselves; Sarek and Solen stood near their respective matriarchs' chairs. T'Pau-for a Vulcan-was in a good mood, though not to say jovial. The women raised their hands in greeting.

"Dif-tor heh smusma, T'Lan."

"Sochya eh dif, T'Pau. How can I be of service to you?"

T'Pau's eyebrow twitched in answer to T'Lan's question, but she cut to the chase.

"We had an agreement, T'Lan, which I honored; I pledged my grandson to your grandniece."

"I am aware of the contract; it was honored."

"I was there when the Kal-i-fee was issued; that was in her right."

"Agreed; it was her right to challenge."

"What have you to say of her choice?"

"The child's choice was also in her right."

"We are here to dispute her choice. Our laws are binding; our laws are to protect the victor and the challenger."

T'Lan wanted to squirm in her seat, but she sat still, preserving her dignity and ready to defend against T'Pau's challenge.

"T'Pring was within her right to choose her champion."

"Indeed; that's the law. The visitors were friends of Spock-their role was to observe his participation in the Kal-i-farr, not to take part in our beliefs or traditions without knowledge. The human was unaware of many aspects of this."

"Yet the human took the challenge, T'Pau. What need is there to discuss this now?"

"As I have said before, T'Lan, the human was unaware of many aspects of the Kal-i-farr. If the human had full knowledge of what the Kal-i-fee entailed, his choice would have been different."

"The woman makes the choice of champion; the law states this."

"Does the law also cover one's conduct prior to the Kal-i-farr, T'Lan? It was observed and commented on that the woman T'Pring searched for a champion, despite her pledge to Spock. What of these reports that the woman had suitors address you, T'Lan, to ask for Koon-ut-so'lik. The contract was disrupted when her conduct continued through the years before the Kal-i-farr."

T'Lan searched her mind for a rebuttal but had trouble avoiding the truth: T'Pring's conduct before the marriage had been an error. T'Pau had her boxed in.

"It was well within her right to seek another worthy bondmate, if Spock was not here to attend to her needs."

"Spock is to blame for T'Pring's conduct?" T'Pau's voice strained almost into a growl. "Did you describe Stonn as a worthy bondmate, T'Lan?"

"Sarek's choice of mate defied our traditions and invited an outworlder to know of our ways."

"So Sarek is the reason for T'Pring's indiscretions?"

"Your grandson has made a name for himself. He's part of Starfleet, not of our world, our people. He does not partake of things that are Vulcan."

T'Pau did not suffer insults to her clan lightly, even from an old colleague. T'Lan's insinuation that Sarek had tarnished the S'chn T'gai clan and that this was a factor in T'Pring's actions was an insult not to be borne. In her efforts to clear her grandniece, T'Lan had chosen her words poorly, adding fuel to the fire instead.

"This justifies T' Pring's conduct to break the contract and sever the bond? I see you continue to make unfounded and unwarranted statements. I have spoken to the Vulcan High Command and stated my case in regard to Spock's Kal-i-farr. They agreed that T'Pring's insolence and behavior brought outsiders into a sacred ritual, exposing our way of life to judgment and ridicule. It seems from this conversation that we have NOT come to terms with T'Pring's actions. I have asked for compensation; it was granted to me, T'Lan. In the absence of compensation, I will declare naul-tor [a feud] against the S'oleh-nau clan."

The two males bodies had stiffened at T'Pau's statement. A feud among the clans was exceedingly rare in modern times; it had been centuries since the last one. Sarek suspected his mother was bluffing.

"Now I will confer with my son Sarek about what recompense from your clan might be considered appropriate. We will notify you when we have decided. The High Command awaits your presence, T'Lan and Solen. Now I have other matters to attend to."

"Feuds among our people have been condemned for centuries, T'Pau."

"The laws still apply and have not changed, even since the 'Awakening' T'Lan. It is my right, and it will be done-in the absence of compensation."

T'Pau stood up with her cane and looked at T'Lan, realizing that the other had made a grave mistake. T'Lan reluctantly raised her hand in the ta'al.

"We will consider any offer you make, T'Pau."

"Dif-tor heh smusma, T'Lan."

"Sochya eh dif.

T'Pau returned her salute; with that, T'Lan and Solen left with heavy hearts. The clan would have to pay for what T'Pring had brought down upon them.

T'Pau turned to her son: "Now on to the matter of the reception on Altair VI. Sarek, we need to appeal to the Vulcan High Command to provide all funding, aid, and services for Spock and his bride."

The President of the United Federation of Planets has granted us permission for the reception to be held there, it is an acceptable area to accommodate invited guests."

"Sarek your service as Ambassador to the Federation has shown favor, it has placed value in this quest."

Sarek looked at his mother: "Indeed."

Sarek is aware that Vulcan High Command will accept the location versus Vulcan itself. Only selected outworlders were permitted on the planet, without strict protocols. Altairs VI is the perfect forum to display such events.


Two days later, Sarek stood before the Vulcan High Command; their decision would determine whether the reception on Altairs VI would be funded. The Vulcan High Command consisted of an administrator and commissioners who determined how to handle issues that would affect the whole planet. Sarek had presented himself to speak on his and T'Pau's proposal to have Spock recognized for all his achievements and to acknowledge his marriage. Three female and four male commissioners heard Sarek's case. Sarek greeted the commissioners.

"Dif-tor heh smusma, Commissioners of Vulcan."

"Sochya eh dif, S'chn T'gai Sarek. How can we serve you?"

"I hereby notify you that my son Spock has bonded; our clan proposes that the Vulcan High Command hold a reception on Altairs VI to celebrate his achievements and ceremonially validate his bond with his mate."

"Your clan is within its rights to choose to acknowledge Spock's marital status," T'Ara said. "But Spock is in the service of Starfleet Command; there are protocols to follow in order to secure his return to Vulcan."

"We have no jurisdiction over Starfleet Command; Spock must seek release from them," Suter commented.

"A request from the Vulcan High Command to Starfleet will expedite Spock's return, Sarek asserted; "His mission is scheduled to continue for another 3.567 years. It is customary for the marital bond to be authenticated soon after the bonding."

"Has Spock bonded with a Vulcan female?" Sudoc asked.

"Spock has bonded with a Terran female from his ship."

"Interesting," T'Ara observed, slowly glancing at the other commissioners in turn.

"Are there health concerns?" Solor asked.

"Any form of bonding or mind meld invites health concerns, Sarek replied. "It is wise to have the matriarch and a healer verify the connection."

The seven commissioners looked at one another and nodded in agreement.

"We will speak to Starfleet on your behalf and request Spock's release to return to Vulcan on medical grounds," T'Ara said.

"However, we fail to understand the request for a ceremonial celebration of Spock's achievements on Altairs VI? If you wish to hold such a celebration, that will fall on your clan, Sarek," Sudoc said.

"Agreed, Spock's bonding is a private matter, outworlders are not often permitted to attend our Kal-i-farr. The celebration of his bonding align with his achievement is what Schn"Tgai clan is requesting on Altairs VI.

The commissioners slowly bowed their heads and glared at each other.

Sudoc stared at Sarek: "We acknowledge that Commander Spock's bonding to a Terran needs verification, but our decision to provide financial support to the reception is not valid."

Sudoc looking at Suter

"Our decision is final."

"We have a meeting with T'Pau 15.458 minutes from now on another matter," Suter said. With that, the commissioners raised their hands in the ta'al.

"Dif-tor heh smusma, S'chn T'gai Sarek."

"Sochya eh dif, Commissioners."

Sarek bowed his head in respect and left, feeling pleased. The meeting with the Vulcan High Command had gone well; he had predicted that the commissioners would turn down the reception. Now his mother would go to work on them to get them to finance the reception. Sarek looked forward to reporting to his beloved Amanda that she would see Spock soon.


The Commissioners and T'Pau exchanged the usual greetings and seated themselves in a conference room with a high ceiling and tinted windows. T'Lara took up her place behind her matriarch with a Padd in her hand.

"Was the compensation from the S'oleh-nau clan acceptable, T'Pau?" T'Ara asked.

"Indeed. T'Lan had difficulty processing the information, but clarity came soon enough."

"Explain your presence," Sudoc snapped.

T'Pau's eagle-sharp eyes raked Sudoc, but she battled back the impulse to pounce on him for his disrespect. Patience.

"I offer salutations on your decision to expedite my grandson's return to Vulcan to authenticate his bond," T'Pau said.

"A marital bond to another Terran," Sudoc sneered.

"Sarek requested that the Vulcan High Command hold a reception to honor Spock for his accomplishments," Solor commented.

"Spock is Vulcan. His achievements do honor to Vulcan and should be acknowledged by this body, which represents all of Vulcan," T'Pau argued, raising a brow. "I am hearing disregard of the accomplishments of my offspring. Therefore, I will remind the Commissioners of our Vulcan history."

As a body, the commissioners each arched an eyebrow.

"S'chn T'gai Sarek, formerly Ambassador to Earth, was once bonded to a Vulcan female," T'Pau said. "I will remind you that the woman chose not to continue the marriage, leaving Sarek to suffer the pon farr without a mate. During his diplomatic duties on Earth, he chose to bond with a female Terran. I validated the marriage bond; the woman endured his pon farr and gave birth to the next heir to the clan. Sarek continues to represent the Vulcan people on Earth and other Federation planets, with all aware that he has bonded with the Terran. Sarek's exemplary work is recognized by Starfleet Command, which has asked several times for his assistance in defusing volatile interplanetary situations. Sarek has earned the respect of all those he has encountered but has asked for nothing. As for his bonded wife, she has made great contributions to linguistics, including being part of the team that created and continues to refine the universal translator. Her facility with languages has been of immense assistance to Sarek in diplomatic negotiations, and her Terran personality has been a great asset as well, helping him to better understand and relate to other species."

"We are aware of the regard that Starfleet and the Federation of Planets hold for Sarek; it is the reason he was assigned to those positions. It is his duty to represent Vulcan in those areas," T'Dess said.

"Then we are all in agreement that Sarek's duties are performed for the benefit of all Vulcans," T'Pau said, cutting her off. "Now we will focus on Commander Spock."

"S'chn T'gai Spock does not participate in any form of diplomacy; his position is not comparable to his father's," Sudoc said dismissively.

"That is where you err, Sudoc, T'Pau said. "Spock is equal to and as vital as his father in matters of diplomacy."

"Spock is a commander in Starfleet, which is a military organization," Sudoc replied.

T'Pau again heard Sudoc's insolent tone. She slowly took a breath. Patience.

"The records show that since his birth Spock has achieved the highest academic marks and outperformed many of his classmates and instructors as well."

"Yet he refused to attend the Vulcan Science Academy," Solor interjected.

"You treated him with disrespect of his heritage and abilities," T'Pau replied. "It was his right to seek academic challenges elsewhere, in a setting where students from many species were integrated."

"Spock could have enhanced his capacities greatly at the Academy; Starfleet's Science Division is a poor substitute," Sudoc declared.

"Did we not have the hubris to think that Vulcans were more capable than Terrans? Did we not all feel the death cries of the 432 Vulcans on the Intrepid? Did we not all grieve that great loss? Do some not still do so?" T'Pau demanded, turning her sharp gaze on T'Dess, who had lost a grandson on the Intrepid. "It was a single Vulcan and 430 Terrans who found the Intrepid and discovered their fate. Was it not Spock who took the creature's genetic material-the same genetic material that at this moment our Science Division and the Academy use for synthesizing prototype serums? Spock and his commanding officers have also settled interplanetary disputes and been vital in restoring order in several interplanetary incidents. I fail to see the logic of your implications that Spock would have made greater contributions if he were not in Starfleet, Solor and Sudoc."

The Commissioners sat quietly, absorbing T'Pau's statements.

"What you request is quite elaborate and unnecessary, T'Pau," T'Dess remarked.

T'Pau had heard of enough of their excuses; it was time to pull out the big guns. She turned to T'Lara and reached for her Padd.

"I have no choice but to notify the president of the Federation of your decision. I believe he would like to know why the Vulcan High Command refuses to acknowledge Sarek and Spock. Or the fact that Vulcan has more at stake in the Federation's economy than many of its planets. Our annual income surplus can support the next three generations of Vulcans. This is so because of Sarek and Spock, two heirs of Surak, the Father of our fundamental principles."

Three of the Commissioners rose to their feet, their eyebrows arched. It was as much as they would allow themselves to express their shock.

"T'Pau, we recognize that your son and grandson are descendants of Surak, the architect of Vulcan's Great Awakening. Is it necessary to extort the commission?!" Solor demanded to know.

"I did not extort; I clearly explained my reasons for the request," T'Pau said. You and Sudoc failed to comprehend these reasons. I simply clarified my clan's position for you."

The seven Commissioners slowly looked around at each other. It was true that since the formation of the Federation of Planets, Vulcan had gained mining rights, established settlements, and forged lucrative trade agreements-due in great part to the diplomatic efforts of Sarek, as well as Spock.

" Your request is granted," T'Ara said.

"I am honored that the Commission has seen the value of my proposal, which includes all financial responsibility for accommodating guests and related matters."

"We will fulfill your requirements and arrange the reception."

T'Pau returned the Padd to T'Lara and slowly stood up with her cane. She bowed her head in gratitude.

"Dif-tor heh smusma, Commissioners of Vulcan."

"Sochya eh dif, S'chn T'gai T'Pau."

T'Pau and T'Lara walked out of the conference room, leaving behind seven solemn Commissioners.

"Are we so prejudiced that we failed to see the logic?" T'Dess asked.

The rest bowed their heads, silently acknowledging that they had been disrespectful, allowing prejudice to cloud their logic. Sarek and Spock of the S'chn T'gai clan had greatly expanded Vulcans' knowledge of and presence in the universe. The two had become respected among all races except their own.

"I will contact Starfleet Command to request that Commander Spock and his mate be released from duty to return to Vulcan for their bonding ceremony and the reception," T'Ara said.

"I will contact the Ministry of Economics to have assets released for the S'chn T'gai reception, Suter responded.

 












Enter the security code shown below:
Note: You may submit either a rating or a review or both.

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.