Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Beta Reader:Jsilver2000
Summary:
 Saana has just started to live life again, meeting and having lunch with an acquaintance in town. She's been living in the shadows too long; since her daughter's marriage, Saana has stepped into the light. Now we turn to other scenes on the Enterprise.

 

 

 

 

 




Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


 

Back to Vulcan-Week 1: part 2-The Good Ship Enterprise

Meanwhile on the Enterprise:

The Enterprise continued her slow journey to Vulcan. The crew is ecstatic about the news that Commander Spock and Lieutenant Uhura had married. But Spock and Uhura are continued to perform their duties as they did before they were married.

"Docking procedures completed for the cargo ship Zama, Sir";Nyota said, taking her earpiece out to relay the message.

"Have the landing bay crew start their process of unloading Lieutenant. Notify me when it is are completed." Kirk ordered from his swivel chair.

"Yes sir," she said, placing the earpiece back in her ear and giving instructions to the crew.

" Mr. Sulu, maintain distance and hold her steady"

"Aye, sir."

Spock stepped down to the command chair and handed the captain the cargo supply list for him to sign.

"Thanks Spock, anything important about the supplies we should know?" Kirk asked, reviewing the list and signing off.

"No Captain. It's just the standard food supplies, repair equipment, and personnel supplies."

"Please continue, Mr. Spock," Kirk said giving him back the signed PADD.

"Captain, Dr. McCoy has requested that you see him when you are available."

"Why didn't he page me?"

"Unknown Captain-Dr. McCoy's request was about a private matter."

Kirk looked up at Spock with a smirk: "Thanks, Mr. Spock. Carry on."

After the shipment has been cleared, Spock headed to the lower decks like a man on a mission. He displayed his famous stoic look as he walked. He entered the quartermaster's room and :he chief officer greeted him.

"Good afternoon Commander Spock, how can I help you?"

"Several packages were sent here for clearance and I am here to retrieve them."

"Yes, I just cleared them sir, I get them for you."

All personal packages required clearance from security and the quartermaster for safety. Spock was the one who made sure they were checked during docking with the Zama. He had waited for the delivery. Another gift for his beloved. The chief returned with packages and gave them to Spock.

"There you go, Sir, good day."

"Thank you, Chief. Carry on."

Spock wasn't versed in small talk or sediment that would lead to more conversation. He avoided at all costs. He enjoyed only certain conversations that have meaning for him. Humans entertain themselves in these brief conversations. Spock took three large boxes to his quarters.


A little while later, Kirk wandered down to sickbay to meet McCoy in his office.

"I heard you wanted to see me 'Bones."

"I did. I'm glad your here, but you're not going like what I'm going to tell you."

Kirk be gave him a serious face, McCoy got up and secured the door. He turned and folded his arms across his chest, giving Jim a stern look.

"Listen, Christine is not taking Spock and Uhura's marriage well. She's edgy-nervous one minute and then snapping, snarling, and yelling the next. The other nurses are complaining about her behavior, and they all trying to switch their schedule to avoid her. And I'm telling you again: Christine is a damn good head nurse."

"What do you want me to do? I mean- do you want to reprimand her to get over it?"

"Jim this is serious! She's not eating and she is definitely showing signs of depression. I don't want to pull her from her duties; she says staying in her quarters makes it worse."

"Bones, how can I help you? I'm not a medical doctor?"

McCoy took a deep breath. He didn't want to do it, but he didn't have a choice: "I'm notifying you that I am ordering her to receive psychiatric treatment for her depression until further notice, after the evaluation then we will determine if Christine needs more treatment to a facility to help her."

McCoy had to do it, he was taking a risk, knowing how Christine going to react. He didn't want to hurt her more than she already had been. She was the only nurse who put up with his grumpiness and more importantly, the only one who could put him in his place. "If she continues to medical school, she'll make a great doctor. But right now her mental and physical health was my primary concerns. If only Christine could let her feelings for Spock go."

"Okay, Bones. Write the report and send it to me. Who do you recommend for a psychiatrist?"

"I'll give her to Dr. Robinson; she's good. I will inform Christine in person. I don't want this in her files."

"What will you put instead?"

McCoy gave Jim a quizzical look, and then a slow smile: "Don't you worry-I'll take care of that so she doesn't feel like a patient."

"Thanks Bones, I think she'll appreciate that. Like I said, I don't want to lose good personnel. Is there anything else?"

"That about covers it. I'll give you an update if anything changes."

Jim flashed Bones a conspiratorial smile; "You know we have dinner with Mr. and Mrs. Spock sometime next week?"

"I know. It should quite interesting how those two get along." McCoy scratched his head; "It's amazing; I swear Spock is smiling lately."

They both laughed, that breaks the tension over Chapel. Bones give Jim a quizzical look.

"What else Bones? You giving me that look!" Kirk folds his arms across his chest, waiting for his friend to reply.

"First of all-DAMN IT! How did Spock get Christine all messed up in the first place. He's just a Vulcan!"

"Bones you are blind? He's a man first-then green-blooded. Women find him as attractive as any other man. Maybe they curious how he-operates in the bedroom."

McCoy turns away from him, picked up a file disk, and huffs: " SPOCK? If you say so-Jim. Never seen a case this bad of a broken heart."

Kirk placed his hand on Bones' shoulder, and looked him in the eye. "Yes, you have. I've seen worse my friend and - so have YOU!"

With that Kirk left.

Leonard McCoy has his reasons for looking out for Nurse Chapel, he planned on helping her the best he could, with the authority he could use. He had tried to warn her multiple of times of her affection towards Spock, and it fell on deaf ears. Now the woman was paying for it. Yeah, he knows the stabbing pain of a broken heart, he'd been there and was still suffering from the after math. During his bitter divorce, he had tried to drink himself to death. But it was his precious daughter Joanna brought him back from the brink of that dark abyss. After that, Joanna-and Starfleet-were all he had left.


Meanwhile, a couple was taking leisurely stroll through the corridors of the ship, wearing their casual clothes. Nyota wore a form fitting purple top with matching plazzo pants that flowed as she walked. While Spock wore a grayish thigh-length tunic and loose pants. Not too many people have seen Spock out of uniform before, so the couple caught the attention of the crewmen as they passed. Spock walked with his hands clasped behind his back, basking in Nyota's presence. This was new to Spock. He head was turned slightly towards his wife, who was pleased to have a moment together. Nyota had told him that she wanted the crew to see them together so they would understand that they were compatible. When some of the crew addressed him as "Prince Spock," he sighed and attempted to correct them. Spock did not find it humorous and was not sure of the sentiment behind it. Nyota smiled and explained that they were just showing respect and said that it would grow on him. Spock did not voice his doubts on that subject.

Spock watched as Nyota greet fellow crewmen, he would incline his head in acknowledgment and endure their greetings. The couple ended up at the recreation room, where they became engaged. The room was dim-lit, and a few people walking around chatting. Spock and Nyota went to the observation portal and looked out into space as the stars passed by them. Spock could hear the low humming of the engines below them and calculate how fast they were going. But at this moment, with his bondmate beside him, his thoughts were focused only on her.

Nyota was deeply touched, this was the place where her life had changed forever. This was the man who had her heart and soul in his hands. She expressed her thoughts and emotions through their bond-it felt as if a ball of warmth, safety, and contentment had engulfed the two of them. Spock was touched by her sentiment, her feelings about this place of commitment. He knew this place would always have significance for them. They watched the stars pass by during their shared moment. He held up his two fingers an invititation; Nyota glanced up with a tear in her eye and placed her fingers against his order to perform the ozh'esta. The love passed through their marital bond like a calm river flow. Spock struggled to breathe; he had never felt such- such love. He continued marvel over this relationship with Nyota as she smiled at his revelation.

After a while, the loving couple returned to their quarters to rest before their next shift. Spock turned toward Nyota, who gazed at her husband expectantly.

"The Captain has requested again for us to dine with him and the rest of our wedding party."

"I think that's a good idea. Did he say when?"

"I presume within the next couple of days; I will inform him of your response."

"Do you want to go?"

"Nyota, Captain Kirk, and Dr. McCoy's intentions are to imply how I conduct myself in our marriage."

"What do you mean?"

Spock cleared his throat: "They would like clarity on our sexual relations."

Nyota laughed and thought about those two really like to tease her man; she remembers events on the bridge where Spock was the prime target to Kirk and McCoy's never ending to get an emotional rise out of him. She suspected that there is some form of jealousy: 'I'll fix those two.'

"Spock don't worry. If they inquire about our personal life or our sex life, I will be ready to answer."

Spock didn't know how to respond to that. He wondered what could she say to halt his friends' inquiry.

Nyota reached up and caressed his pointed ears, and a low growl emanated from him. He lifts her up and pulled her against himself, pressing their bodies together firmly. Spock buried his head in the crevasse of her neck and spoke as if in pain,;

"Nyota du katau si' wuh yon svi' nash-veh." ["Nyota you bring out the fire in me"].

Nyota was experiencing the same feeling as she lifted her head to give him better access to her neck while raking her hands through his dark hair. She thought about all those years wishing, hoping to be with him.

"nash-veh nuh'" ["Me too!"]

"Dungau etek fator tor wuh mashulayek?" ["Shall we proceed to the showers?"]

Nyota laughed, then start to pepper his face with kisses;

"Rai, tor ashaya tor nash-veh" ["no, make love to me"]

"U' du istaya" ["As you wish"]

He carried her to their bedroom where they proceeded with their loving making. Spock's touch drove Nyota into a frenzy. There is nothing like making love with a Vulcan.


A couple of days later, after duty, Spock and Nyota were in the recreation room, where he was teaching her to master three-dimensional chess. She understood the foundations, but he was helping to raise the game to another level. Spock didn't mind this type of leisure. Nyota had explained that people would feel more comfortable seeing them together in this setting and would be less intrusive. He did sense the crew was becoming more comfortable with his presence than before.

A young couple approaches them at their table.

"Good evening Ms. Uhura and Mr. Spock- I mean your highness"

Spock and Nyota looked up to see Yeoman Tina Lawton and Ensign Matt Henry holding hands.

"Greetings," Spock said. "Please refrain from addressing me as 'your highness'."

"But everyone says you're a prince Commander."

Nyota smiled; "It's OK; he's getting used to it."

Spock found conversing with crew members for any length of time to be wearying; in his past visits to the rec room, he had usually been in the company of Kirk and/or McCoy, both of whom willingly picked up the conversational slack for him.

"How is everything?" Nyota asked the couple.

[1]The petite young blonde smiled widely:

"Everything is fine; as a matter of fact, things are great!" Tina looked at Matt, who was also beaming, and then turned to Nyota: "I want to thank you for introducing me to Matt-he's wonderful!"

The young man blushed: "Naw, I owe it all to Ms. Uhura and our movie night! That was the best thing that ever happened to me. Ms. Uhura, you made me popular!"[1]

Uhura laughed and remembering that event at which Boma had made a fool of himself. In Spock's opinion, it had been no laughing matter; it was when he had almost lost control of himself due to Boma's actions.

"Oh no, Matt- that was all you! All I did was introduce you to Tina, and then you two did the rest."

"You two make a wonderful-looking couple," :Tina said.

"They sure do, and we owe them a lot!" Matt added. "We'll be going now Mr. and Mrs. Spock, we both going to see another Indiana Jones movie--alone." :Matt said, giving Tina a winning smile. Tina blushed and squeezed his hand.

Nyota laughed and Spock arched an eyebrow.

"Have a good time, you two."Nyota said, waving goodbye.

After the couple had left, Nyota turned to her husband and said; "Isn't that cute?"

"I have no reference point to respond to the word 'cute', Nyota."

"They said Mr. and Mrs. Spock."

Nyota stared at her man, thinking, he is so funny. She extended her two fingers and spoke in Vulcansu so others wouldn't hear them; "Ashayam, the word refers to moments of adorable sweetness like this. And you're so cute when you talk like that."

She giggled as their fingers touched and shared the warmth. Spock can only project back his of acceptance.


Later on that evening, Nyota took the opportunity to study the history of Vulcan. She had taken courses in her academy days, but she was studying a direct source from the Historical Library of Vulcan that was mostly written in old Vulcansu. Nyota skimmed the outline of cultural history and the political system, but her main purpose was to find the ancestral wedding riturals as they were before Surak's time. It was quite interesting to see Vulcan's violent history during the era when the people allowed their emotions to rule them. Nyota could almost compare the Vulcans of antiquity to contemporary Romulans. During one of their missions, she encountered her first Romulan and realized how similar they were to Vulcans. [2] Spock had stated that the Romulan race is a distant relative of the Vulcan race and that Romulans are highly aggressive. Nyota wanted to know everything about Vulcan in case she ever happened to meet her new archenemy, T'Pring, who had formerly been betrothed to Spock. Vulcans are known for their extensive knowledge of any subject that interested them, so she needed to prepare too. A smile formed on her face as she thought about the upcoming events. In about two weeks, she would be on Vulcan, and she hoped to cross paths with T'Pring.

On top of studying, Nyota and Spock had stepped up their Sus-Manah training to a daily routine, which was strengthening her already-muscular body. Spock was even teaching her to use the 'to'tsu'k'hy' [nerve pinch], but he had to modify the grip for Nyota, because she didn't have Vulcan strength. However, the modified version would still give her an advantage. He noticed her determination to master the new skill and was proud of how Nyota rose to the challenge of the rigorous lessons. He tried to limit the numbers of bruises on her body, but she would not have his gentleness and demand full contact.

"Spock, how can I defend myself or others if I don't know how it feels when I am hit? I still have to fight the enemy in any condition."

Spock overrode his instinct of being a protective husband and let his wife endure the painful blows of hand-to-hand combat. He understood that exploration invites unwarranted confrontations. He realized that he and his wife could be formidable team, using their bond and their training to apply coordinated tactics in combat situations.


A couple of days later; McCoy made preparations for clinical support for Christine. She had continued to act depression on duty. Once McCoy had spoken with Dr. LaToya Robinson, he would address Christine on the subject. Timing is everything. After his shift, McCoy grabbed his PADD and medical tricorder wand and headed to Nurse Chapel's quarters. He rung her chimer, and waited for her to answer; it seemed as if it two minutes before she opened the door. She has lost weight, her face looked haggard from lack of sleep.'This has gone on too long', McCoy thought.

Christine looked surprised to see him: "Dr. McCoy! How can I help you?"

"I need to talk to you Christine. It's both professional and personal. May I come in?"

She sighed deeply. She knew what it was about. She hadn't tried to hide; she tried to fight it. But she was not doing well; the conversation about Spock and Nyota was daily gauntlet in sickbay and in the mess hall, it was everywhere she went. The couple was everyone's favorite topic.

"Sure come in."

She stepped aside to let the doctor in, and he walked into a dimly lit room. It was clear that Christine had lost her light in herself and her job. McCoy wantdc to help her. Christine directed him to a seat, and they both sat.

"Thank you for taking the time to talk to me Christine, what I'm about to say is not easy for me."

He looked into her once-sparkling blue eyes, which now sad and tired. Christine sat up, looking worried, her hands pressed down on top of her thighs.

"Did I do something wrong?"

"No, but I am forced to place you on medical leave."

The tears started dripping down her face: "I was-I was expecting this. I-can't help it. I've tried-I've tried so hard."

At that moment, McCoy pulled out his mini tricorder and scanned her: her heart rate was high, her blood pressure high; and she was somewhat dehydrated, high-but not critically. She showed all the signs of depression. He got up, went to the replicator, and got her something to drink and handed to her.

"Drink this, your dehydrated-you need to drink more fluids."

"Thank you, Doctor. I'll try to take better care of myself."

McCoy sat back down. He took a deep breath and started his mission:

"I had to go to the Captain. You are ordered for psychiatric help, starting next week." McCoy put his instruments down on the table, leaned over, and grabbed her hands; he looked her in the eye.

"Christine it's not the end of the world. We all experience this kind of pain. Even me! I don't want to see a good woman waste away. you're a good woman Christine!"

Christine couldn't believe her ears; this grumpy, stubborn man revealing himself. She had always known there was a soft-hearted man behind that hard shell. But why now?

"You have a lot to offer to the medical field." McCoy continued. "I hope once this is over, you will consider completing your medical degree. You have the ability to be chief surgeon, one day. Maybe you'll even replace me."

With that statement, McCoy got a small smirk from her. Christine looked at him and smiled, he had made her feel a little better.

"Right now, you need to take care of yourself and recover from this-this situation. Because I need my head nurse back! Who is going to keep all those other nurses from screwing up!" McCoy demanded, waving his hands at her and looking around her quarters.

"How long am I on medical leave?"

"As long as it takes"

"Who is going to replace me?"

"Replace you? Are you crazy? No one can replace you! Nurse Running Deer will take over duties temporarily, until you recover."

McCoy grabbed her hands again to support he; she really needed it. Christine needed a friend, in the midst of the celebration of Spock and Uhura.

Christine took a deep breath. She knew McCoy was right; she had to stop wallowing in this depression. "Thank you McCoy. I'll do it! I know you tried to warn me about Spock, but I couldn't accept it."

"That's my girl, I want you to start seeing Dr. Robinson next week, or sooner if you want. I notified her about you. You'll like her."

"How-How is-Spock and Nyota?" Christine asked, glancing at McCoy, and giving him a suspicious look.

McCoy was taken back at the unexpected question. He leaned back into his chair, wondering if he's should answer a partial truth or a whole lie. He takes a deep breath:

"Are you sure you want to know?"

"I've been trying to process this, Doctor-"

"Please call me Lennie."he said.

She gave him a small chuckle and squeezed his hand. "It's OK-I'll be good."

"Then for honesty's sake, they are doing well."

Tears formed in her eyes, but she took a deep breath and managed to hold them at bay.

"When I recover, Lennie, I want to wish them the best."

"Now that's my girl! Christine you have a big heart. It'll take time and I will be with you every step of the way."

"When do I start?"

"You can start any time"

"Then I'll start tomorrow. I want to get over this Lennie."

"Good! I don't think I can take any more of this!" McCoy said, stands up to leave. "I'll check on you and Dr. Robinson from time to time. Now take care of yourself and get something to eat."

"Okay Lennie," Christine said with a small smile. McCoy answered with a wider smile and left.

Christine lay down on her bed, hugged her pillow as the tears fell again in her lonely room.'I have to get over this before I go crazy or they really put me in a penal colony.' She turned over and tried to sleep without dreaming about Spock.

 






Chapter End Notes:

 

A/N: [1]The Battle for Spock part 2:chapter 11 & 12

TOS:[2] The Balance of Terror

 







Enter the security code shown below:
Note: You may submit either a rating or a review or both.

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.