Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

 

seven




Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


 

    “Did you regret it? Saving her?” It almost made him laugh, how engrossed in the story she was. Since their last meeting, they had met at what was proving to be a routine spot for coffee. He had to admit to himself it felt a bit nice to talk to her about it all. After all, keeping so many tales to yourself was never fun. It felt as though he was writing out his life story upon the pages of her ears and in them he felt he would never be forgotten. 

    “Initially yes. I did. But as I looked at her, the more I realized that we had a lot in common.” Fei-hua gave a solemn nod and reached for her cup of tea. 

    “I envied her. Envied that she had the ability to end her own life with such ease, such carelessness. Whereas I was bound. I could not even if I wanted to. And I wanted to.” 

    “What a sad way to live.”

    “Indeed.” The two were quiet for a while before, 

    “Professor Yi?” He looked up at her. 

    “That wasn’t the end of it obviously. Did you see her again?” 

    “Yes. I did. A couple weeks after.” 

 

 

*** 

 

 

 

 

    The sun was high and the square was rippling with activity. Sweat beaded up on his forehead and he smiled at several onlookers, curiously most of them being women. They openly gawked at him and he inwardly sighed. It never failed. No matter what time period. No matter where he was. He always seemed to attract the attention of women. Were he another kind of man he might take advantage of it, enjoy it and abuse it. But he didn’t. It had never much interested him. There hadn’t been but a few who he found could excite him and then and only then did he indulge. 

    “Jie,”

    “They are visitors from a wealthy town. Draw them to us.” Donghai said with a smile. 

    “How do you propose I do that?” He quipped back, cutting his eyes at him. His friend, the fox, grinned. 

    “You have ways I’m sure.” Sighing outwardly now, he cleared his throat. He was not good at this, had had the hardest time learning, grasping..even forming the syllables. But he opened his mouth with a kind smile. 

    “Greetings my Ladies. May I entice you with exotic treasures?” It was almost instant, the way the necks grew pink, cheeks growing equally flushed. Eyes once wide now grew lidded with desire. They began to walk towards them and Donghai chuckled to himself at his chagrin. 

    “My what have you here?” 

    “Freshwater pearls able to be made into necklaces, bracelets and rings. Pink seashells dipped in melted gold and black and green jade from our homeland.” The women gawked down below, more times than not finding his eyes before playing coy. 

    “The jade is lovely. I did not know it could be another color.”

    “Yes in my homeland there are many beautiful things.” 

    “I can see that. I’m looking at one.” One bold woman answered, eyes slipping across him. 

    “Clare! Mind your manners!”

    “For a coolie, he’s awfully handsome.”

    “He looks like he could be a woman doesn’t he?”

    “No, better than that.”

    “I’m sure what he has under that robe is better than anything we could offer anyone.” The women laughed and giggled. 

    “What’s your name?” He bowed his head with a smile. 

    “Jie ma’am.”

    “Jie. Hm….interesting.”

    “You know we gotta get back to the saloon! Madam is gonna have herself a fit if we’re not back in time. Clare, flirt with him later!” The tall red haired woman bit her lip, eying him like a cat about to pounce on its prey. 

    “I’ll come again Jie. Maybe you could sell me some of these pearls.”

    “Of course madam.” Winking at him, she hurried off to join her friends. Clearing his throat, he ignored the growing grin from Donghai. 

    “Seems you have the hang of it now. I’ll be back.” He pursed his lips in annoyance. 

    “Where are you off to?”

    “I have to go.” Understanding well what he meant, he nodded and watched him leave, gripping the table in front of him. It was going to serve to be a long day ahead. 

 

*** 

 

    “Get dressed. We’re going out.” She waited until the door slammed in front of her to relax. Standing there nude, she lifted arms to wrap around herself. He’d been furious. She’d been taken to the town doctor and that’s when he’d been called. An older Negro assigned to the Negro patients. He had told Grace what spectators had seen. She’d been found unconscious, naked as if she’d just washed up ashore. He surmised correctly that she had attempted to commit suicide by drowning. Grace’s entire face had lit up red like a fire and he dismissed the man without so much as a thank you. Though she laid in the infirmary bed, it didn’t stop him from putting his hands around her neck and choking her. 

    “Troublesome bitch! I should have let them drag you back down to Mississippi and hang you!” She gagged and dug her nails into his forearms for what seemed like an eternity before he let her go, mouth snarled up at her ragged intake of breath. 

    “Hurry up. I don’t have all day to be waiting on you.” And like that he was gone, leaving her to weakly get up, cough and get dressed. From that day forward, he made sure everywhere she was he was there. He didn’t let her out of his sight not once. For anything. Even when she found she had to relieve herself, he was there to watch it trickle out of her. Her memory had been blurred and she could only remember bits and pieces. It was strange. The one bit she did remember was seeing a man’s face. His eyes were beautiful and his mouth was moving but she couldn’t hear what he was saying. She could feel what appeared to be water but wasn’t sure.       

     Lifting hands to her throat, she looked over her body. At what point did she cease to be his disgusting whore only good to fill with his come? Worth nothing more than a hole for him to abuse and pummel? 

    “Aurora! Get out here! Now!” Sighing with a sad resignation, she put on her dress and climbed down the stairs. Sometimes when he was drunk he’d throw money at her as if to complete the act of his defilement and she’d lay there, fingers reaching for the bill and coin. How much longer would she have to play this role? What was her freedom in living when there was a much more permanent freedom in death? Keeping her eyes on the ground, she walked behind him as they headed into town. Lifting eyes upward to the man inappropriately named Grace she bit the corner of her lip. It all passed her by, the people, the talk, everything. 

    Sighing, she tried to keep up with him but too many people from all directions separated them, forcing her away. Her mouth opened to call for him but soon closed. No. This was good. For a moment she could do whatever she wanted. Just for a moment. Eying the many different stations, a glimmer of gold caught her eye and she found herself drawn to it. 

    “May I help you?” Lifting eyes from the beautiful trinkets on the display table, she felt her heart start to pound. There stood in front of her a Chinaman with beauty unlike anything she’d ever reckoned seeing. He had an otherworldly countenance about him, aided by features one would say were quite feminine. Thick shapely eyebrows, hooded deep chestnut eyes, encased in a tantalizing almond shell, handsome broad nose and pouty pink lips, it was a wonder he hadn’t been mistaken for a woman. 

    “Miss?” His deep accented voice was pleasant to the ear and it sent a shiver down her spine. Blinking, she forced her eyes away from him back onto the table, desperate to bring anything else into sight but him. 

    “What’d I tell you about running off huh?” Feeling her body grow stiff, she turned to look at Grace who was approaching looking none too pleased. 

    “I’m sorry Grace… I…I just had to look at these items here.” A firm hand struck her and she felt the skin of her lip tear, blood starting to dribble down her chin. 

    “I swear one of these days I’m going to kill you. Wash my hands of you.” Scoffing, the man reached into his pocket and threw a handkerchief at her. 

    “Fix yourself up and let’s go.” 

    “Yes Grace.” She said softly, glancing up at his retreating form. Embarrassment covered her hot and heavy and for the first time, she noticed he wasn’t looking at her. The curious yet friendly look of before was gone. Now, now he looked right out pissed as he stared at the back of Grace’s head. Those darkening eyes of his drifted back to her and another chill fell down her spine. 

    “Aurora!”

    “C-Coming Grace!” Drawing herself away from him, she swallowed up the humiliation, tears and anger she felt and forced it down to the ground. That man… he’d most definitely been the one to save her. 

*** 

 

    “I’m so curious now…with this man looming over the two of you… how did you two ever find time to get to know one another?” There, the sight she’d been wanting for so long. A smile, though small graced her presence, his lips softly curved upward. For a moment, she stared at him, simply in awe.     

    “Your curiosity…has it drifted over to your assignment I have asked you to complete?” The poor girl’s cheeks flushed with embarrassment and she eyed her tea. 

    “Ah….yes?”

    “Don’t lie.”

    “Okay no. Not…not yet.” 

    “Hm.”

    “Your story is much more exciting than that paper.” 

    “I’m sure.” Leaning back into her chair. A part of her felt envious of this woman named Eminta. She still very much held his heart. Even the memory of her had him smiling. But at the same time… she felt sad. Sad that he had been forced to live so long with out her. It was obvious that at one point and time, the woman had brought him an everlasting joy. A joy that he now was devoid of…that he was so far from. It made her wish that once again, they could be reunited. Impossible she knew. But still. A girl could hope. 

    “Professor Yi…thank you.” The man blinked, smile gone as if it had never been there. 

    “For?”

    “Sharing your life with me. I know it’s very personal. And…well…not many people would believe it.” He nodded and lifted his cup to his mouth. 

    “Get your bags now. I’ll drop you off at home.” Smiling prettily, she did as he bade and soon the two of them headed to his car. 






Chapter End Notes:

A/N: our babies MEET hehehehehehe. I love this chapter simply for that hehe. Captivated by each other's beauty the heart wanted to know more! hehehehehehe. I love Fei-hua and Jie's playful banter. He's opened up (surprisingly) enough to feel somewhat comfortable with her. Perhaps in a way she reminds him of Eminta. Slightly. He teases her just as he did with her. hehe. I think it's cute lol. I'm glad that even in the modern day, he has something of a friend. For our Jie is otherwise so very lonely. Okay, I'll see y'all next one~ 

D&L~







Enter the security code shown below:
Note: You may submit either a rating or a review or both.

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.