Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
 A/N: So, here is chapter 12, finally! Enjoy!!


Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.



Pride and Logic Chapter 12

Uhura walked down the darkened path from Commander Spock’s quarters towards her dorms. They had just completed their final rehearsal for their upcoming performance for the Vulcan Delegation. Uhura was thankful that she would no longer have to endure more late night sessions with the dour commander.

At the end of the session, he finally pronounced their performance to be worthy of the Vulcan Delegation.

 

“Your command of the aria has increased substantially over the time we have rehearsed,” Spock commented after their third run through of the song that evening.  “No doubt this is due to your diligence and hard work. It is commendable that you are as dedicated to artistic perfection as you are to academic mastery.”

 

Uhura opened her mouth to thank the Commander for the compliment before thinking better of it. After spending so many hours in his company, she could anticipate his response to any statement of thanks. “Your gratitude is unwarranted, Cadet,” he would reply. “I was simply stating a fact.”

 

Spock put down his lyre before rising from his seat and crossing the room. He picked up a large parcel wrapped in black paper.

 

“I have taken the liberty of procuring a gown for you to wear Friday evening,” Spock said, handing Nyota the black package.

 

“What?” Nyota spluttered as she accepted the package. “I don’t understand. I have formal attire of my own that should be more than adequate for the evening.” Her surprise turned into annoyance. Was he afraid that she would embarrass him? The man was insufferable.

 

“I am aware that you possess adequate formal attire. The gown that I have obtained for you is a traditional Vulcan formal gown. I felt that it would be…fitting for you to be attired in the Vulcan way.”

 

“Oh,” Nyota replied as her eyes dropped to the parcel in her hands. Her ire cooled until all she felt was embarrassment and confusion. “I can’t possibly accept this, Commander. How do you even know my size?”

 

“I calculated your correct size through observation. If the gown requires tailoring, you can take it to the address written on the card inside for adjustments at no cost to yourself.”

 

“How much did it cost? I can pay you back.”

 

“The price of the gown is irrelevant as it is a gift,” Spock replied, cocking his head to the side. “If you insist on compensating me for the gown, consider it as payment for your performance tomorrow night and for your weeks of diligent practice.”

 

Uhura smiled broadly at this, shaking her head as she placed the package on the seat she vacated.

 

“And how should you be compensated for all of your hard work, Commander?”

 

Spock stared at her for several moments, his dark eyes blinking slowly. Uhura imagined that she saw a slight green flush highlight the tips of his ears before the tense silence caused her to look away. 

 

Uhura still found her cheeks warm with embarrassment as she entered her dorm. She did not know why she chose to respond to the Commander in such a manner. It was hardly appropriate conduct and she had not meant to flirt. However, as she replayed the scene in her mind for the hundredth time, she could find no other way to describe her posture and her words. For a moment, it seemed, she had forgotten that she was speaking with her professor and with the Vulcan she claimed to so vehemently dislike.

 

Nyota was pleased to find her roommate absent when she arrived at her quarters. She was very anxious to try on the gown Commander Spock had purchased but she did not want to subject herself to more of Gaila’s teasing speculation. Gaila would undoubtedly exclaim that the gift meant that the Commander was madly in love with her and then devise ways for Uhura to discard the gown on the floor of Spock’s bedroom Friday night. Uhura quickly unwrapped the parcel and gasped when she observed the contents. Reverently, she held up the gown, enjoying the feel of the silk slipping through her fingers. Uhura set down the gown and divested herself of her red uniform before slipping into the sangria dress. She pulled out the thulian pink wrap and pinned it around her neck before stepping in front of the floor length mirror in their common room.

 

Nyota gasped again before slowly spinning in order to better view the dress. It fit her perfectly. The long sleeved silk gown hugged her figure, skimming the generous curves of her hips and breasts. Across the chest and down the left side of the gown ran a silver satin strip adorned with High Vulcan script. The thulian pink gossamer wrap was decorated with scrolls in a lighter shade of the same hue and hit her mid calf.

 

“Ny, you look amazing! Where did you get that gown?” Gaila exclaimed as she entered the room.

 

“Commander Spock,” Nyota mumbled as she continued to admire her reflection. “It’s for Friday night.”

 

Gaila shrieked again before running to the bedroom. She came back with the card from the parcel, jumping up and down.

 

“I knew it!” Gaila nearly shouted. “This dress is a Eridanis original! They don’t come cheap.” Gaila paused as she flipped the card over before continuing, her voice dropping to a low conspiratorial tone. “Oh! He must really want your cookies, Ny.”

 

Nyota rolled her eyes. Gaila’s exuberance was even greater than she anticipated. However, upon seeing her roommate’s wide smile and bright eyes, Nyota decided to indulge Gaila this one time.

 

“What’s so special about Eridanis?” Nyota asked.

 

“Eridanis is only the most talked about designer out of Vulcan. Her studio and shop is right here in San Francisco. She dresses all of the big celebrities.”

 

“I see.”

 

“No you don’t,” Gaila replied as she shook her head, sending her red curls bouncing. “Her dresses cost hundreds of credits if you buy them off the rack. But for an original like this beauty, you’re easily talking thousands!”

 

Nyota groaned. “I knew I shouldn’t have accepted this. It’s just too much.”

 

“Well, for us plebes, perhaps. But Spock is practically a Vulcan prince according to Sybok. I bet the Commander dropped those credits without blinking an eye.”

 

“Maybe you’re right,” Nyota replied as she bit her lip.

 

“Oh, speaking of Sybok, our disowned Vulcan royal, I have a bit of juicy news that might interest you. I thought it would make you sad, but in light of recent developments, you’re probably happy to be free of him so that there is more room for Commander Hot Pants.”

 

Nyota rolled her eyes as she sat down, her concern over the import of the Commander’s gift diminished for the time being. Juicy gossip was one of the few things in the universe that Gaila lived for.

 

“It seems that McCoy was right. Sybok has been a busy boy,” Gaila trilled as she plopped down on the couch beside her, crossing her long green legs as she leaned conspiratorially towards her roommate. “Apparently, all of this time while he has been working so hard to charm the pants off of you, he’s been flashing those amber eyes at Verna Ugway. You know, the second year whose father owns that huge flitter manufacturing company?”

 

Nyota shook her head, her face blank. Gaila shrugged.

 

“Whatever. She’s not important. What is important is that they are engaged. Sybok is off vacationing on Risa with the family. Can you believe him? It must be for the money. She is such a nasty little spotted thing.”

 

Nyota gave her friend a scathing look.

 

“What,” Gaila exclaimed. “She is a little spotted thing. She’s four feet tall and covered in blue dots

 

“Well, I suppose handsome disinherited princes must find some way to gain their fortune,” Nyota replied. “I wish them every happiness.”

 

As Gaila continued to chatter about Verna Ugway and other bits of gossip, Nyota could not help but to quietly reflect on her own feelings. She was surprised by how little she was affected by the news of Sybok’s engagement. While she genuinely wished them both well, Nyota also felt relief. If Sybok was engaged, she would be free from his attentions. She did wonder about the strength of his attachment to Verna. They had made out in a very public place on campus not even a week ago. If Sybok’s urgent off planet business was a vacation on Risa with his future in-laws, how could he in all good conscious engage in such intimacies with her? Indeed, if McCoy had not arrived when he did, Nyota was sure that they would have quickly advanced to displays of affection less innocent than kissing. Uhura suddenly found herself very pleased that Sybok was far away.

 

****************

Spock waited patiently by the entrance of the Grand Hall for Cadet Uhura’s arrival. Although he had offered to escort her to the banquet since she was attending as his guest, she insisted on meeting him instead. Spock found himself to be illogically annoyed by her insistence, but he was also thankful for her prudence. Spock found that his ability to ignore the charms of Cadet Uhura had waned significantly over the course of their relationship. He felt himself to be on the verge of succumbing, all of his logical objections based on Starfleet regulations and duty ringing hollow.

 

 He now wondered about the prudence of his gift to the young woman. When he visited Eridanis’ boutique earlier that week, he had not intended to purchase anything for Nyota. He merely intended to purchase a new formal robe for the social events that he would be required to attend during the coming weeks as T’Pau’s kinsmen. His great aunt had already expressed her expectation that he would attend her during her visit to Earth and she was known for her fastidious attention to attire. Spock had his mother in mind when he requested to view the new women’s collection, thinking that she would be pleased if he came baring gifts when he returned to Vulcan in a few weeks time. However, all thoughts of his mother were pushed aside when the clerk pulled up the holo of the sangria gown. He immediately pictured the silk fabric clinging to the graceful curves of Nyota’s figure. Spock did not hesitate requisitioning a gown to be tailored to Nyota’s dimensions.

 

The sound of feminine heels clicking against the stone walkway alerted Spock to Nyota’s arrival, the steps matching the easy and precise cadence of her usual gait. Spock looked up to watch the cadet’s approach. He felt a strange warmth envelop him as he observed the sensual slide of the fabric over her long legs as she strode towards him. Her hair was not in her usual style, but was piled atop her head in an intricate bun studded with silver pins, one delicate curl hanging loose and framing the right side of her face. Simple diamond studs adorned her ears. He suddenly found his impetuous purchase to be most logical.

 

“Good evening, Commander Spock,” Nyota said as she stopped before him.

 

“Good evening, Cadet Uhura,” Spock replied, her formal address serving as a bucket of cool water on his rising ardor. As much as he may have wished the opposite to be true, she was technically his student until the academic year officially ended at noon on Sunday.

 

“Your appearance is highly satisfactory.”

 

Her warm smile nearly wiped away his newly gathered resolve. “Thank you, Commander. This dress is absolutely gorgeous. You have excellent taste.”

 

Spock bowed his head in gratitude. “I trust that the gown did not require an excessive amount of modification in order to attain the proper fit?”

 

Nyota smiled again. “Indeed, it did not. Your estimations of my size were remarkably precise.” She arched one brow and threw him an impish smile.

 

Spock suddenly felt unduly warm. He tugged at his collar and cleared his throat.

 

“My, my,” Nyota teased. “It would appear that I’ve managed to embarrass the unflappable Commander Spock. Perhaps I should refrain from complimenting you on your own attire for fear of making you blush.”

 

Spock quickly recovered his equilibrium, her teasing tone reminding him that they stood just outside of the Grand Hall that currently housed the Vulcan delegation. Indeed, it would not do for him to be seen having an emotional reaction towards a human female by other Vulcans. It was fortunate that Nyota was aware of such things and chose to limit her teasing accordingly.

 

“I do not require any compliments on my appearance,” Spock finally spoke. “The banquet will begin shortly. We should proceed inside.”

 

Uhura smiled at him once more before following his lead and entering the hall. A grinning Captain Pike soon met them.

 

“Spock,” the older man greeted them wine glass in hand as they entered the banquet hall. His exuberant welcome earned him a few indignant stares from the Vulcans in attendance.

 

“Captain Pike,” Spock greeted the man with an incline of the head before gesturing towards Nyota. “I believe that you are already acquainted with Cadet Uhura.”

 

“Of course,” Pike turned his wide smile towards the cadet. “Who could forget one of the academy’s brightest students? You are looking very well, this evening, very well indeed. Your gown is quite becoming.”

 

Nyota ducked her head as she accepted a kiss to the back of her hand. Spock watched the exchange with his normal impassivity, although he worked to suppress the small flame of annoyance sparked by the captain’s familiarity.

 

“There has already been quite a buzz about your upcoming performance,” Pike continued. “After hearing your lovely voice at the showcase last weekend, I am all anticipation myself.”

 

 “The Commander and I have been rehearsing for several weeks. I hope we don’t disappoint.”

 

Pike shot Spock a knowing glance before returning his attention to the cadet. “Well, Spock has always been a perfectionist. I am sure that your performance will be nothing short of immaculate.”

 

“Thank you,” Nyota replied with a small smile.

 

“Spock. You don’t mind if I borrow your date for a moment? There are a few people I’d like to introduce her to before this thing gets started in earnest,” Pike asked, already offering his arm to Nyota.

 

“The cadet is not my…”

 

“I’ll take that as a yes, then.” With that, Pike whisked Nyota off towards a small cluster of Starfleet Admirals gathered on the other side of the hall. Spock watched Nyota’s retreat with interest, finding the slide of the silk over the curve of her back to be highly pleasing.

 

Tonk’peh, Spock!”

 

Spock tore his eyes away from the cadet’s form to find his kinsman Selkek approaching him. Selkek’s inflection filled greeting earned him a few disapproving looks from the surrounding Vulcan delegates. However, Selkek did not appear to take notice.

 

“Selkek,” Spock replied as he stepped towards the advancing Vulcan. “It is very agreeable to see you. I was not aware that you were to accompany the delegation.”

 

“It is good to see you once more, cousin,” Selkek replied, his pleasure evident in the tone of his voice and the brightness of his dark grey eyes. “I am to present a paper tomorrow afternoon to the Engineering Department as part of the information exchange. A colleague was slated to present, but personal business prevented him from making the trip. ”

 

“I find that I am grateful for your presence, Selkek. I believe that the coming days when I shall be required to attend to our great aunt will be less taxing with your company.”

 

Selkek nodded his head, his lips thinning in an unsuccessful effort to contain a wry smile.

 

“I am in agreement, cousin. Enduring T’Pau should now be more palatable.”

 

Selkek paused and glanced around the room before stepping closer to Spock.

 

“Cousin,” he whispered, “I must inform you that my sister T’Pring is also part of the delegation. She is serving as T’Pau’s secretary.”

 

“Thank you for informing me, but I was already aware of her attendance.”

 

“Ah, then my sister has been in communication with you.”

 

“No. I learned of the information in the dossier provided to all Starfleet officers invited to attend the banquet.”

 

“Then perhaps you do not know,” Selkek replied, almost to himself. “Cousin, it is imperative that we speak on the morrow.”

 

*****************

 

Uhura began to weave her way through the crowd back to Commander Spock’s side. After five minutes filled with introductions to various Starfleet bigwigs, Captain Pike was finally called away. Uhura was grateful to be brought to the attention of so many important personages, but she doubted if she would recall all of their names by the end of the night.

 

She spotted Spock speaking to another Vulcan not thirty feet from her. The man was about the same height as the commander. He wore traditional formal Vulcan robes in deep blue and his black hair was styled in the signature Vulcan bowl cut. He bore a slight resemblance to Spock. Uhura thought that he was uncommonly handsome, with his dark grey eyes and full lips. There was very little to distinguish him from the other Vulcan men populating the room save for his animated way of conversing. His long slender hands fluttered in subtle gesticulation and his voice lacked the monotone quality of his peers.

 

As she neared the pair, the unknown Vulcan stopped speaking, his hands falling to rest by his sides. His eyes, which held a glint of curiosity, slid from Spock to Nyota before snapping back to his companion.

 

“Selkek,” Spock began, “may I introduce Cadet Nyota Uhura, a student in my Vulcan culture seminar. Cadet, please meet my kinsman, Selkek.”

 

Nyota smiled brightly at Spock before turning her pleased countenance towards Selkek. She bowed her head slightly before raising her right hand in the traditional ta’al.

 

T'nar pak sorat,” she greeted.

 

Selkek could not suppress the small smile that graced his lips as he returned the ta’al.

    

T'nar jaral,” Selkek replied. “Your pronunciation is very good for a human. Where did you learn Vulcan?”

 

“Thank you. I am self-taught. I relied on language tapes and conversational practicum that I was permitted to take at the local university.”

 

“Your study has been worthwhile. You should consider studying on Vulcan for a time, Cadet Uhura. Your pronunciation could be perfected with more interaction with native speakers,” Selkek continued with a quick glance towards his cousin.

 

Uhura soon found herself engaged in deep conversation with Selkek, the Commander listening silently by their side. Uhura found herself annoyed when the bell announcing the start of the meal was sounded, as it meant that she would most likely be parted from her new acquaintance. However, she was pleased to find herself seated next to Selkek once dinner began. They chatted contentedly throughout the meal and were soon on a first name basis. Selkek was even moved to share a few stories of Spock as a youth. Uhura could not prevent the giggles that escaped her after a few tales of the Vulcan equivalent of mischievous hi-jinks. She could hardly believe that Selkek and Spock were kin. Selkek had such an easy and warm manner about him that Uhura suspected that he was v’tosh’ka’tur. She wondered how he could remain so pleasantly disposed towards Spock knowing that he betrayed his own brother for also beingv’tosh’ka’tur. 

 

“I think it is almost time for our performance,” Nyota sighed after an hour of pleasant conversation. “I hope that you find my singing somewhat palatable. I fear that it may be grating to the Vulcan ear. Commander Spock surely noticed a sharpness in my manner of delivery.”

 

“I shall not say that you are incorrect,” Spock replied, speaking for the first time since the start of dinner. “It is illogical that you could hold the belief that I find your performance unpleasant when I have expressed the opposite on several occasions. I have observed that you take pleasure in expressing opinions that are not your own. “

 

Uhura laughed at this. “Your cousin will have you doubt every word I say! I suppose I am unlucky to be in the company of a person so capable of exposing my true character. It is very unfair of you, Commander Spock. You are provoking me to retaliate by sharing my own observations of your person that may shock your kinsman to hear.”

 

“I am not afraid of you,” Spock replied.

 

“Please share your observations, Nyota,” Selkek pleaded, delight evident in his tone. “It will be enlightening to learn how my cousin conducts himself amongst his students and colleagues.”

 

“Then I will tell you all. The first time I met Commander Spock was at a Starfleet ball. And what do you think he did at this ball? He only danced once, although it was considered rude by all in attendance since he was made aware of a few young ladies who were without partners and very inclined to dance. However, this slight could be forgiven since he is Vulcan. However, he also baldly insulted a lady who stood well within earshot of his hearing and offered no apology.”

 

“Well, the dancing I can very well understand,” Selkek replied. “But you must tell me the identity of the lady insulted and what was said that was so egregious.”

 

“The lady is speaking to you now,” Uhura replied with a smirk. “When his good friend presented me as an acceptable dance partner he simply sniffed and replied ‘she is visually satisfactory, but she is not proficient enough to tempt me.’”

 

“Unpardonable,” Selkek replied.

 

“My comments were not meant to give offense. Rather, as I was unacquainted with you at the time, I was not aware of your high level of acumen,” Spock replied. “Perhaps it would have been logical for me to make your acquaintance before making such an assessment. However, I am not well qualified to recommend myself to strangers. I have not the talent that many humans possess of conversing easily with those I do not know. I am not capable of understanding the tone of their conversation or appearing interested in their concerns as is often done among humans.”

 

“My tongue,” Uhura replied, “does not wrap itself around Vulcan consonants with the same subtlety and rapidity of native speakers and does not produce the same expressions. To the extent that my limitation is not due to the physiological structure of my mouth and throat, I have always assumed that it was my own fault because I did not take the trouble to practice enough.”

 

Spock nodded, “Indeed, you have applied your time and energy logically. No one given the privilege of hearing you could conclude otherwise. May neither of us perform to strangers.”

 

Uhura stared at Spock, her mouth agape. Just as she began to form the words of her reply, their names were announced. Spock stood and indicated for Cadet Uhura to walk before him to the small stage above the podium where his ka'athyra was already set up.

 

********************

 

Spock began to play the opening strains of Valdena T’shaukaush and he felt his slight annoyance with his cousin’s familiarity dissipate as the gentle swell of Nyota’s voice filled the room. Indeed, everyone else in the room seemed to fade away as Nyota turned towards him and her eyes locked on his own. Spock nearly held his breath as Nyota began to walk towards him, her hands clasped to her breast as she sang to her lost lover. Spock knew that it was illogical to think that she was singing to him. It was evident that she was lost in the performance. However, in spite of his reason, Spock was enchanted. His previous logical arguments against his growing affection for Nyota once again appeared hollow in the presence of her vivacity and skill.

 

The sound of rapturous applause from the humans and polite approbation from the Vulcans broke Spock from his reverie. He stood and inclined his head toward the crowd as Nyota curtsied and beamed beside him. They made their way off of the stage and were surrounded by Starfleet colleagues wishing to express their delight over their performance. Spock politely thanked his well wishers as he watched Nyota receive enthusiastic handshakes and kisses to the back of her hand. While he felt that his own playing did not deserve such praise, he found that the admiration heaped upon the Nyota to be insufficient.

 

“Spock, tomasu.

 

Spock turned from his admiration of Nyota to find T’Pau standing behind him with her attendants and T’Pring in tow.

 

Dif-tor heh smusma,” Spock greeted, his hand raised in the ta’al.

 

“Peace and long life, nephew. Thy performance was satisfactory, although thou still have not gained the level of proficiency of thine sa’mekh. If thou were to devote adequate time to practice, thou may yet master the ka'athyra.

 

“I shall bear your counsel in mind, T’Pau.”

 

“See that thou dost,” T’Pau replied with an imperious lift of her brow. “Have thou greeted thy ko-kugalsu, Spock?”

 

Spock suppressed the desire to grimace before turning towards T’Pring and repeating his greeting.

 

Na'shaya, Spock,” T’Pring replied. “Who is the kominh with whom you put on this display?”

 

“Yes, Spock. I desire to meet this woman. Her performance was very pleasing for a human woman.”

 

Spock inwardly bristled at the emphasis T’Pring placed on “kominh,” but quickly moved past the emotion when T’Pau requested an introduction. With a terse bow of his head, Spock turned from the women to retrieve the cadet. Nyota was suitably surprised when he related T’Pau’s request for the introduction. She nibbled her lip as she considered, a display of nervousness that Spock found endearing. He thought to offer some words of encouragement to allay her fear, but found that he was unable to lie. T’Pau was a formidable woman.

 

“T’Pau, may I present Cadet Nyota Uhura, a rising second year xenolinguistics and communications science student at Starfleet Academy. Cadet Uhura, T’Pau of Vulcan.”

 

Spock watched as Uhura curtsied smoothly before rising.

 

“Live long and prosper, Uhura.”

 

Sochya eh dif,” Uhura replied.

 

T’Pau examined Uhura closely, her eyes narrowing as they swept Uhura’s person. Uhura squared her shoulders and returned the level gaze. Spock watched the exchange with interest.  After a short time, T’Pau nodded in approval.

 

“Thine singing was quite pleasing to mine ear. I would like thee to attend me during my stay. I find that I wish to know more of thee, Uhura.”

 

Spock glanced at Uhura in surprise. To her credit, the cadet hid her astonishment admirably.

 

“Yes, my lady. It is an honor.”

 

“Yes. It is,” T’Pau replied. “I shall have my assistant send thee my schedule on the morrow. I shall expect to see thee for the morning meal.”

 

She turned towards T’Pring who was watching the exchange with interest, her dark eyes fixed on Uhura.

 

“T’Pring,” T’ Pau called. “See that thou send the information to Uhura this evening.”

 

With that, T’Pau swept away with T’Pring trailing in her wake. Spock stood stiffly beside Nyota, dumbly noting their retreat.

 

“Well, I suppose I could not refuse the invitation if I wanted to,” Nyota said to herself. “I am sensible of the honor, to be sure, but an order is an order nonetheless.”

 

 “My kinswoman is not accustomed to having her wishes denied,” Spock replied.  “It would appear that we shall be in each other’s company often in the days ahead.”

 

“I am sure that we will manage to endure it, Commander,” she replied.

 

“Indeed.”

 

 

Glossary:

T'nar pak sorat: a formal greeting

Dif-tor heh smusma: Live long and prosper

T'nar jaral: formal reply to “Live long and prosper.”

Sochya eh dif: peace and long life

Ta’al: the Vulcan salute

Tonk-peh: informal greeting; hi

Na’shaya: greeting

Ko-kugalsu: fiancée

Sa’mekh: father

Ka’athyra: lyre

v’tosh’ka’tur: Vulcan without logic

tomasu: kinsman; male relative

kominh: human woman

 






Chapter End Notes:
Chapter Notes:
Selkek is an original character borrowed from Teresa F. and her story So Pleasant a Thing. If you haven't read that story yet, you should because it is great! You can find it here on her Elegant Extracts blog in handy pdf format. She is writing a sequel called Full Circle that features more of Selkek, my second favorite Vulcan. (Well, he might actually outrank Spock, but I know that is blasphemy.)

The dress that I described is based on the dress below designed by Eradanis-Requiem






Enter the security code shown below:
Note: You may submit either a rating or a review or both.

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.