Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


Pride and Logic Chapter 16


 


Nyota sipped her tea slowly, letting the hot bitter brew roll over her tongue and down her throat as Lady T’Pau continued to pontificate on one matter or the other. Any calming effect the tea may have had was countered by T’Pring’s icy stare. Tomorrow morning T’Pau and her party would be leaving for Vulcan, a turn of events that Nyota greeted with relief. She was finding it more difficult to maintain her good cheer during the long evening meals at the embassy.


 


“Spock would not have left so early had his duty to Starfleet not called him away,” T’Pau continued. “His devotion to his clan grows stronger with each passing year. Yet, one must fulfill one’s obligations, as it is the Vulcan way. One’s word is one’s only true possession. Spock is invaluable to Starfleet and his expertise was required on Andoria to prepare for the Federation Scientific Symposium. He is to present one of his latest papers on computer lingo-dynamic theories…”


 


Nyota’s suppressed another eye roll as T’Pau began another long monologue praising her nephew and lamenting his early departure from the party. If not for her monotone and expressionless delivery, Nyota would have accused Lady T’Pau of boasting. Selkek caught Nyota’s eye and flashed an almost imperceptible wink. Uhura smirked and sipped her tea to hide her smile. Selkek grinned in reply before quickly sobering at T’Pring’s quick look of annoyance.


 


“Cadet Uhura,” T’Pau said, her loud voice causing Nyota to start. “We have found thy company to be pleasant. Thee are intelligent and comely for a human woman and shall benefit from the company of superior beings. Thee shall join us on our journey back to Vulcan and stay with us for another two months at least.”


 


Uhura’s eyes grew wide. “Thank you, Lady T’Pau. You have honored me with your consideration, but I must decline.”


 


“Why is this so?” T’Pau asked, her thin lips pinched.


 


“I am to visit my family in Nairobi in two days time.”


 


“Surely thy mother can spare thee,” T’Pau replied with a small wave of her hand.


 


“Perhaps, my lady, but my father cannot,” Nyota countered. “I also must report for an internship at the Nairobi Starfleet branch. They have already granted me one two-week deferment and it is unlikely that they will grant another.”


 


“They would make allowances for me,” T’Pau replied. “Mention mine name with thy superiors and they shall be swift to accommodate thee.”


 


“Your ladyship, if I delay my internship further, I would be a great inconvenience to the staff who are anticipating my arrival and input.”


“Very well,” T’Pau finally relented. “It is good that thee are mindful of thy commitments. How shall thee travel?”


 


“By transporter, my lady. My parents have a transporter pad at their home.”


 


“Your family possesses a transporter? It is good that they have thought of such things. It is unfortunate for a female to travel unattended through public transport.”


 


“Yes, my lady,” Uhura replied before taking another sip of her tea. She glanced at Selkek over the rim of her mug, his soft grey eyes glinted in amusement.


 


“It has been very agreeable making your acquaintance, Nyota,” Selkek said as they walked back to campus. He had offered to escort her to her quarters, much to his sister’s vexation and T’Pau’s approbation.  “Tonight was…shiny. In fact, all of our social interactions have been shiny.”*


 


Nyota laughed lightly at Selkek’s word choice. During the past three weeks of their acquaintance, the Vulcan had taken to employing as many human colloquiums as possible. 


 


“It has been a pleasure getting to know you as well, Selkek.” Uhura replied. “I am not sure I could have survived T’Pau’s attentions without your company.”


 


Selkek’s lips quirked upwards. “Yes, my great aunt has developed a peculiar fascination with you. She was very displeased that you could not accompany her to Vulcan. It would seem that all of my kinsmen welcome your companionship.”


 


Nyota laughed nervously. “I am sure that your sister would disagree.”


 


“Yes,” Selkek replied with a short laugh. “She would most vehemently. My sister is most illogical in her treatment of you. She does not covet my cousin’s devotion, yet she is resentful of Spock’s affection for you.”


 


Nyota offered no reply to that, simply training her gaze before her as they walked in silence. She was sure that she no longer posed much of a threat to T’Pring.  Spock would not have her now.


 


Selkek regarded her closely but refrained from speaking further on the subject. They soon arrived at Uhura’s dormitory where they said their farewells.


 


“I hope you will not be averse to maintaining our friendship,” Selkek said, his head cocked slightly to the side. “I should like to communicate with you periodically if that is amenable to you.”


 


Despite what had occurred between herself and his cousin, Selkek continued to treat Uhura with the same openness and kindness of their first meeting. Nyota wondered if he was aware of Spock’s proposal and her harsh refusal. Whether his kindness was due to ignorance or his own forgiving nature, Uhura was grateful for Selkek’s friendship.


 


“Of course. I should like that very much,” Uhura replied.


 


Something close to a smile flicked across Selkek’s features before his brow furrowed minutely.


 


“There is another matter on which I would like to speak,” he began.


 


Nyota swallowed before nodding her head to encourage him to continue.


 


“My kinsman Spock has asked me to answer any questions you might have regarding his estranged brother. Such matters are seldom discussed amongst my people, least of all shared with outsiders. Spock must care for you a great deal.”


 


Uhura inhaled deeply as she looked down. Selkek tilted his head to the side before reaching out to touch her lightly on the cheek.


 


“Spock has chosen well. I look forward to calling you krei.”


 


Nyota looked up at Selkek and bit her lip at the happy glint in his grey eyes. A peculiar pang twisted her stomach. She was not sure if her unease was caused by regret, embarrassment or a combination of both. She opened her mouth to correct Selkek when he held up his hand to forestall her reply.


 


“Perhaps I am being presumptuous or, as you humans say, I am putting the cart before the horse. Nevertheless, please know that you may ask me anything and I shall answer your inquiries to the best of my ability. Although I was not witness to all of the events, I can speak to the accuracy of Spock’s account.”


 


Nyota nodded and gave him a weak smile.


 


“I must leave you now to prepare for my return to Vulcan. Live long and prosper, Nyota.”


 


Uhura returned the ta’al before wrapping her arms around his waist in a brief hug. Selkek tensed slightly before bringing his hands up to squeeze her shoulders.


 


“Peace and long life, Selkek. Have a safe journey home,” Uhura said as she released him.


 


She noted Selkek’s slightly flushed cheeks with a smile. Selkek returned her smile before turning and walking down the pathway. Uhura watched his retreat with mixed emotions. She was relieved to be free of her obligations to T’Pau, no matter how great the honor of her notice. However, she was somewhat crestfallen to be parted from Selkek. But even there, she felt a modicum of relief. Selkek reminded her of his cousin and her own folly.


 


Uhura turned and entered her dormitory, making her way to her empty room. She had a few more bags to pack before her departure to Nairobi. At the thought of returning home, a wide smile spread over Nyota’s face. She had two months of her mother’s home cooking and long talks with her father to look forward to. Then, once she had her fill of her mother’s curry and political chats, it was off for her yearly trip with her Aunt Tonya and Uncle Jomo. This year they promised to take her for a month long visit to Betazed, a prospect that Nyota found to be equal parts intriguing and disturbing. After her encounters with Sybok, she was no longer so keen on visiting a planet inhabited by telepaths. Vulcans, at least, normally required physical contact to read minds, but Betazoids had no such limitation.


 


*******************


Spock stepped down from the hired flitter, adjusting his thick white parka as he surveyed his surroundings. The arctic climate of Andoria never ceased to catch him off guard. Despite his familiarity with the planet from his childhood visits and conversations with Shuran, the peculiar cold bite of damp Andorian wind elicited an involuntary shiver.


 


“It is pleasant to see you so soon, Spock,” Shuran greeted his friend as he stepped towards him, a rather thin blue woolen wrap serving as his outerwear. “I had not expected to see you for another week at least.”


 


“It is agreeable to see you as well, Shuran,” Spock replied after handing his bag to an eager servant.  “I trust that my early arrival was not too much of an inconvenience.”


 


“No, not at all,” Shuran said with a wide smile. “This means that we will have an entire week for me to show you all the local sights of interest before the symposium starts.”


 


“Our time would be much better served by ensuring that our papers are ready for presentation,” Spock replied as he followed his friend down the path towards his home.


 


“We both know that you paper was perfected two months ago, Spock. Besides, I just have to give mine a final quick edit and it will be as good as it will ever get. This is your first time visiting me and I intend for you to enjoy yourself.”


 


“Shuran, this is not my first visit to Andoria.”


 


“Yes, I know. But, this is your first time with a native Andorian at your complete disposal,” Shuran replied as he ushered Spock inside a warm foyer.


 


Spock and Shuran stopped to sit on a low bench and remove their boots. Servants attended them, divesting them of their coats, taking their boots to be cleaned, washing their feet and providing them with silk cashmere lined house shoes. Spock thanked his servant as he took an offered hot cloth and wiped his face, neck and hands. Another servant brought them both small blue shot glasses of a warm sweet port that they drank quickly before finally entering the house proper. Two older Andorians attired in dark grey robes stood waiting for them. The older female wore her snow-white hair up in a tight bun adorned with green gems. Spock noted the strong resemblance to his friend in her smiling features. Her mate looked to be less jovial, his expression unreadable as he tracked their progress into the house.


 


“Parents. May I present my friend S’chn T’gai Spock,” Shuran began.  “Spock, my father, Yanas and my mother, Ambassador Lywn.”


 


“Well met, S’chn T’gai Spock,” Yanas greeted, his voice a deep rumble. “We are honored to have you in our home.”


 


“I am honored to receive your hospitality,” Spock replied with a slight bow.


 


The Ambassador stepped forward, her ice blue eyes roaming over Spock’s person appraisingly.


 


“It is an honor to meet you Spock, son of Sarek. Welcome to Andoria and to our home. I trust that you are not too chilled?”


 


“My core temperature remains steady, Ambassador Lwyn,” Spock replied.


 


Lwyn laughed as she threaded her arm through Spock’s. “We have heard so much about you from our son. You have been a good friend to our Shuran and we are pleased to have you in our home.”


 


Spock was shown to his quarters where he was bid to rest and refresh himself before joining his hosts for the evening meal. He found his rooms to be sufficient for his needs. In addition to sleeping quarters and a private bathroom, there was a small but well equipped office. Spock settled into the office as soon as he was shown into the room. He was eager to check his messages for a particular report from his aide, Cadet Haines. His retreat from San Francisco following his meeting with Nyota had been swift. He left the city early the following morning and quit the planet entirely two days later. However, before his departure he tasked his summer aide with an important task.


 


Spock sat down before the computer console and synched up his personal PADD. There were messages from his mother, other researchers scheduled to present at the upcoming symposium, Captain Pike and administrators from the Academy. Finally, he found the message from Cadet Haines, the letters written across the screen in bold red print. Spock opened the message, scrolling quickly through the cadet’s superfluous introduction to read her report.


 


Sybok had been busy since his banishment from Vulcan. Over the past ten years, his brother had managed to amass a huge debt, owing exorbitant sums to various gaming establishments, loan sharks and bookies across two quadrants. There were outstanding warrants for his arrest on Delta and Rigel for unpaid child support. Most troubling was a bounty placed on his life by the Orion syndicate.


 


Spock was unimpressed by Starfleet’s admissions department. Thorough background checks were standard requirements for admission to the Academy and only applicants with sterling records were granted entrance into the officer training program. Either the Academy’s standards had deteriorated substantially since his own admission or his brother had bribed or blackmailed someone in the administration. Spock made a mental note to report his suspicions to the appropriate administrator at the start of the term. For now, he knew of another authority that would find his report to be most illuminating.


 


“Computer. Please locate the comm address for one Vlal Ugway.”


 


****************


“Oh, Ny, I can hardly imagine how horrible you must have felt,” Gaila replied as she leaned towards the viewscreen. “Poor Spock!  Poor Sybok!”


 


Nyota snorted through her tears. “I will grant you your pity for Spock. I abused him very badly to his face. But Sybok is certainly not poor. A poor excuse for a Vulcan, perhaps, but not one deserving of your pity.”


 


“You’re right,” Gaila replied. “He should have his balls severed and placed on a pike for what he did. But I can’t help thinking that there must have been something in his childhood that made him what he is today. He seemed like a good guy.”


 


“Well, one brother had the appearance of good while the other possessed all of the actual virtues. How could I have been so foolish, Gaila?”


 


“How could you have known that Sybok was a villain? He had us all fooled, Nyota…well, except for McCoy. Have you told him any of this?”


 


“Oh goodness no,” Nyota groaned as she slumped down further into her seat. “I don’t think I could bear his smug self-righteousness. I am doing a fine job of beating myself up right now. I don’t need Len’s gruff ‘I told you so’ right now.”


 


“I doubt McCoy would rub your face in it. He loves you too much for that. If anything he’d try and hunt down Sybok and fight him. You are saving McCoy from getting his ass kicked by a mad Vulcan.”


 


Nyota laughed lightly in reply. “I suppose you are right. Len can be a bit protective.”


 


“Plus, he was using that psychic Vulcan hoodoo on you,” Gaila continued. “Gosh. I can’t imagine having someone just crawling around in your head like that messing you about.”


 


“I was barely aware that he was doing it,” Nyota sighed. “ I want to believe that if I wasn’t under his influence I wouldn’t have believed all of his lies. But like you said, he had all of us fooled.”


 


“Ugh,” Gaila shuddered. “I did let him kiss my hand once. Maybe he tried that freaky shit on me and I didn’t know it. Vulcans can be so creepy.”


 


“Not all Vulcans are like that. Not even all v’tosh’ka’tur are like Sybok,” Nyota replied. “Vulcans are taught to avoid casual physical contact. The touching of minds is an intimate act that is not treated lightly.”


 


“Then it must have been a big deal for Spock to meld with you,” Gaila replied, a dreamy expression overtaking her previous look of disgust.


 


“I cannot begin to describe what it was like to meld with Spock,” Uhura smiled sadly before shaking her head.  “I detested him so much. He seemed so cold, but underneath that cold exterior is such a beautiful spirit. He loved me, Gaila. I know that now without a doubt. I mean, my taste buds burst and my skin tingled with it. I thought I’d suffocate because it was so thick about me.”


 


Uhura paused and wiped at her quickly moistening eyes. “I’m sure I’ll never experience that again.”


 


Gaila regarded her friend thoughtfully for several long moments, her brow creased in concern.  “Do you love him?”


 


Uhura snorted. “I don’t know. Perhaps. I just know that he is the best of men. It breaks my heart that he is out there somewhere thinking ill of me…if he even thinks about me at all.”


 


“Oh, Nyota,” Gaila whined. “From what you’ve told me, I am sure that he loves you still. How could he not?”


 


“Maybe. But I don’t deserve his consideration.”


 


“I wish I was there to hug you, chica,” Gaila replied, her own eyes brimming with tears.


 


“Oh, look at the pair of us,” Nyota replied, smiling through her tears. “Aren’t we a sight? Let’s talk about happier subjects. Tell me all about how you are doing. Are you enjoying your internship on Memory Alpha?”


 


Gaila’s face brightened. “Yes, I am learning so much. Their computer systems are so advanced. I am helping put the final touches on a research paper on the next generation of binary sequencing. They’re even letting me accompany the team to Andoria for the Federation Scientific Symposium.”


 


The two friends chatted amicably for another ten minutes before Gaila had to end the conversation in order to prepare for work. Afterwards, Nyota lay back in her bed, starring up at the ceiling and considering their conversation. She wondered if Gaila was correct about the Commander’s feelings for her. She had read him accurately before. However, Nyota could not help but feel that Gaila was wrong this time.


 


Just as she was about to fall asleep, her commlink chimed. Nyota groaned before crawling out of bed. Her pique vanished when the face of her Aunt Tonya filled the screen.


 


“Hello Ny-ny! I didn’t wake you up, did I?”


 


“No, Auntie. How are you?”


 


“Oh, I am doing fine, sweetie. Work at the firm and running after the twins is keeping me on my toes. But, the activity keeps me young. I am afraid I have some bad news sweetie.”


 


Uhura’s face fell.


 


“The business has really been picking up lately and your uncle thinks it best that we cut our annual summer trip short. So, we won’t be able to go to Betazed.”


 


Uhura tried to hide her disappointment. She loved spending time with her Aunt and Uncle and was sad that their time together would be cut short.


 


“But, take heart, Ny-ny,” her aunt continued. “We’re going to Vulcan instead. I have an old friend who lives in Shi’kar that I haven’t seen in years. We’ll be staying at her compound and getting a real taste of local life. It’s going to be spectacular.”


 


Uhura’s eyes widenend. “Vulcan?”


 


“Yes, sweetie,” Aunt Tonya replied. “Trust me, you’ll love it. The weather is similar to Kenya and Mandy is a spectacular hostess.”


 


“Mandy?” Nyota asked, the hairs on the back of her neck rising.


 


“Amanda Grayson. We were roommates in college. She’s married to Ambassador Sarek, so we’ll really get the royal treatment…”


 


Nyota stopped listening at the mention of Ambassador Sarek, bile rising in her throat. When Aunt Tonya ended the communication, Nyota woodenly stood from her chair and flopped back on her bed. Her summer was suddenly looking a lot less appealing.


 


 


 


Glossary:


*shiny= good, great, Slang from Firefly/ Serenity a show and movie I love like fire.


Krei = cousin, female


Ta’al = Vulcan hand salute












Enter the security code shown below:
Note: You may submit either a rating or a review or both.

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.