Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


 

Pride and Logic Chapter 24

 

Shuran’s antennae swiveled as he peered into the scanner, his lips contorted in a frown. Spock sat in the captain’s chair behind him, his shaking hands gripping the armrests of the chair. It had been at least thirty-five minutes since they received the last coordinates relayed by the distress beacon aboard Cadet Uhura’s vessel. Shuran’s scans of the area did not fill him with hope. He feared for the safety of the young cadet and for the emotional state of his normally stoic friend.

"Report, Lt. Shuran.” Shuran took a deep breath before turning around in his seat to face his friend. He was met with the sight of Spock’s back, his shoulders rounded and tense.

“Scans of the area show a high level of photon radiation indicating that a barrage of photon torpedo fire has been exchanged within the area within the last three hours,” Shuran began. “Scans have also picked up small traces of ship debris, indicating that one or both vessels were damaged in the exchange.”

Spock listened to Shuran’s report with a growing disquiet. The level of debris present was not sufficient to indicate that a ship had been destroyed. However, Spock’s deteriorating emotional control left him vulnerable to fits of illogic. Anxiety and fear now warred with the pon farr induced bloodlust that had threatened to overtake him for the past three days. Spock hands gripped the armrest of the captain’s chair with enough force to crack the polycarbonate frame. It was imperative that he recover Nyota within the next three days before he was completely lost to the plak tow. He harbored no illusions that Nyota would be willing to bond with him and free him from the ravages of plak tow. Spock simply could not countenance the notion that he would be rendered unable to ensure her safety, whether due to the blood fever or his death.

  “I’m also picking up a faint photon trail,” Kirk added. “Perhaps it was left behind by a leak in the damaged craft’s weapons systems. If we follow it, perhaps it will lead us to Uhura.”

Spock nodded, “A logical hypothesis. Continue, Cadet Kirk.”

“The trail extends in the general direction of Rigel IV,” Kirk replied. “An M class planet 20,000 kilometers from our location.”

"It is possible that a heavily damaged craft could travel that distance before a complete systems failure,” Shuran noted.

Spock rose from his seat and walked towards the view screen. “Set a course for Rigel IV, Cadet Kirk. Mr. Shuran, maintain observation of the photon trail. Cadet McCoy, go to the medical bay and prepare a field triage kit.”

McCoy cast a worried glance at Kirk before rising from his station to follow Commander Spock’s command. Kirk sat grim-faced as he quickly set the plot.

“15.8 minutes until we reach Rigel IV."

______________________________________________________

Uhura woke coughing, her lungs burning. She opened her eyes, but she could see little through the plumes of grey smoke that hung thick in the air. The cabin was dark save for the blinking yellow emergency lights that lined the floor.   Before Uhura lost consciousness, the ship had been alive with claxons, crisply delivered computer warnings of impending shield failure, and Sybok’s mocking voice. Now the ship sat silent save for her coughs and the steady hissing of coolant being released from a burst pipe.

Uhura rolled over onto her side, her eyes adjusting to the smoke and dim light. She saw no sign of Sybok or their Orion pursuers. Still, she knew herself to be in danger. She had to get away from the ship before Sybok returned or the Orion boarded the ship. Even if the Orions left them for dead and Sybok had fled without her, she knew staying on the crashed ship was not an option. The heavy smoke filling the bridge told her that a fire must have started somewhere on the ship and the ship’s fire suppression systems were too damaged to respond.

  Uhura rolled onto her belly and began to crawl towards the bridge doors, using the emergency lights set in the floor to guide her way. Her right knee and wrist throbbed with the effort of pulling her weight, but she dared not stop. When she reached the door, she put her palms flat against the doors. Finding the metal doors sufficiently cool, she took a deep breath, shut her eyes against the smoke and stood. She groped blindly for the manual door release. Just as her lungs began to burn, her fingers grasped the cool metal lever. She pulled down the lever and dropped to her hands and knees, inhaling a lungful of air. The doors slid open to reveal a darkened hallway with flickering orange emergency lights obscured by plumes of blue-black smoke.

Uhura resumed her crawl, this time making her way towards the emergency escape pods. She hoped that they remained undamaged. She wondered briefly whether Sybok had made his way there earlier when he left her to die on the bridge. Uhura was surprised to find both escape pods intact. Even the blue escape hatch remained unopened, its blue light blinking steadily in the gloom of the hall. Uhura climbed into one of the pods and began gathering supplies. She found a standard issue sub-artic grade parka that was at least three sizes too large. Uhura quickly pulled on the coat and used the drawstring devices at the wrists and bottom of the coat allowed for some customization.  Nyota gathered warming packets to slip into her stolen boots, a pair of heavy gloves, a water purification probe, emergency rations, canteen, camp stove and a knapsack. Most useful of all was the portable emergency beacon. Should she evade Sybok and the Orions, she would have no way off this moon without it.

Uhura packed the supplies she gathered into her pack, donned the gloves and climbed out of the escape pod into the cold and snow of Rigel IV. Their ship had crashed in a clearing in the valley between two snow-capped mountains. About a foot of snow covered the ground. To the east was a dense pine forest that gently sloped upwards over the side of one mountain. Further to the west was a pasture bordered by a slow moving river and more forest beyond. Nyota spied a set of tracks leading towards the forest to her east. Nyota stood contemplating which way to turn when the sound of the emergency door sliding open drew her attention.

She whirled around to find Sybok standing in the open doorway, a phaser in his hand. A gash on his forehead slowly oozed green blood, but he seemed otherwise unharmed. He too had donned cold weather gear and a backpack of supplies.

“So good to see you awake, Nyota,” he said as he leapt down from the ship. “And how good of you to pack. The going will be so much easier without my having to cart you through the snow.”

"Why don’t you just leave me here? I’ll only slow you down and make it that much easier for Thalack to capture you."

"Let’s just say that you’re insurance,” Sybok replied. “Move.”

Sybok motioned with the barrel of the phaser towards the forest to the east. Uhura glared at him before complying. Sybok pressed the phaser hard against her back.

“Do not get any clever ideas, Nyota. If you attempt to flee, I will shoot you.”

________________________

 

Spock walked swiftly down the corridors toward the cargo bay of the ship, Shuran, McCoy and Kirk following closely behind. Spock and Kirk both donned sub-artic grade coats, gloves and pants while Shuran merely donned a thin thermal jacket. The Andorian did not need much protection against the cold of Rigel IV, but a Vulcan and a human would succumb to hypothermia within minutes if exposed to the elements unaided. McCoy followed them, scowling fiercely.

"I still think you all could use a medic out in the field. Who knows what condition Ny might be in."

"We have already discussed this, Cadet McCoy," Spock replied without breaking his stride. "You are not sufficiently healed from your injuries to be an asset in the field. Your presence aboard this ship is of greater value to the mission. You will monitor our frequencies and attend to the communicator. Should we require assistance, you will beam us aboard ship."

“You can’t expect me to sit here and do nothing while that hobgoblin has Nyota! If you think I’ll just sit here while she’s in danger...”

Spock stopped so abruptly that McCoy nearly collided with him.

"You have your orders, Cadet,” Spock replied with gritted teeth. “If you cannot comply with those orders, you are welcome to spend the remainder of this mission in the brig.”

McCoy stepped back from the commander, his color heightening to an alarming shade of tomato red. Kirk looked between the pair nervously as Shuran stepped in between them.

“Cadet McCoy, as you are the only member of our party skilled in medicine, your skills will no doubt be invaluable here preparing the medical bay in case Nyota is in need of it. Kirk and I are soldiers not surgeons.”

Shuran gave McCoy his most winning smile and a firm pat on the shoulder. McCoy considered this for a moment, his anger visibly receeding. Finally, he threw up his hands and backed away from Shuran.

 

“Well, ya’ll just make damned sure you bring Nyota back alive,” McCoy grumbled.

"I intend to.”

Spock turned and strode purposefully away from the group towards four sleek silver hoverbikes parked at the top of the loading ramp. Kirk threw a bewildered look at Shuran and McCoy before jogging to catch up with Spock. Kirk let out a long whistle when he saw the hoverbikes. Shuran activated the bikes with a few quick strokes of his fingers against the keypad on his wristband. The hoverbikes hummed to life, rising to float a foot above the ground, their engines near silent save for a gentle purr audible only to the Andorian’s sensitive hearing.

"How’d you get these beauties?” Kirk asked as he drew a hand admiringly over the seat of one bike.

“One of the perks of being an ambassador’s son,” Shuran replied as he carefully put on his helmet, guiding his antennae into place. “We get all the newest toys.”

Spock threw one long leg over the seat of one hoverbike, adjusted the visor of his helmet and activated the helmet’s computer.

  “Set scans for a ten mile radius,” Spock ordered the computer as he turned his bike and began the short descent down the loading ramp towards the opening bay doors. “Set alerts for Orion, Vulcan and human bio-signatures.”

“Scans set. Alerts set,” the computer replied.

McCoy watched the trio shoot out of the cargo bay into the waning light of Rigel IV.

"Hold on just a bit longer, darling,” McCoy whispered to the closing shuttle bay doors. “The cavalry’s coming.”

-----------------

Uhura stumbled over a tree root for the fourth time that evening. Sybok merely hefted her to her feet with one arm before urging her forward. They had been hiking up the mountainside for hours, further and further into the dense forest in hopes of avoiding the Orions who Sybok was convinced still pursued them. As the hours drew on, Sybok grew more agitated. He stopped their progress frequently, bidding her to drop down to hide in the brush convinced he had heard a twig snap under the crunch of a boot.

When Uhura fell once more, Sybok cursed.

“I know you to be too graceful to be this clumsy. Do you think me a fool? Your attempts to slow us down will not work.”

“We’ve been running for hours with no breaks, Sybok. I’m hungry and thirsty. I can barely feel my feet much less run,” Nyota complained as she struggled to her feet and leaned against a tree.

“Can we not rest for just a moment? I don’t fancy becoming an Orion slave any more than you do, but I at least need some nutrients to keep running.”

Sybok considered her request for a moment, his eyes scanning the area as he did so.

“Fine. You may reach into your pack and retrieve one protein bar. Be quick about it.”

Uhura removed her backpack and knelt down in the snow. She kept both eyes on Sybok who stood nervously over her, pointing his phaser at her head. Slowly she reached into the pack and felt around the contents of the bag. Her fingers brushed the cool metal of a dermal regenerator, the synthetic cloth cover of an extra warming packet, and a few plastic wrappers housing protein bars. Finally, her fingers brushed against the oblong casing of the emergency beacon. She quickly activated the beacon before removing a protein bar from the bag.

"Move,” Sybok ordered once Uhura regained her feet. “We press on until nightfall.”

Uhura walked forward, tearing open the protein packet with her teeth. Although the protein bar was chewy and unappetizing, Nyota ate the bar with relish. She had not lied to Sybok completely-she was almost faint with hunger. Now she held some hope of rescue. Yes, the beacon might alert the Orions to their location, but it might also alert someone else.

------------------------

Spock hugged the sides of the hoverbike with his thighs as he skillfully maneuvered around boulders and snow drifts. Scans had indicated that Nyota’s vessel crashed some three kilometers from their current location and that an Orion scouting vessel was located some 500 meters from the crash site. Their plan was to scout the crash site, determine as much as they could about the condition and whereabouts of Nyota, and neutralize the Orion threat. Spock slowed as he spied what looked like two small vessels about two kilometers in the distance.

“Gentlemen, I believe we have found the cadet’s vessel,” Spock informed Shuran and Kirk through the helmet’s communicator. "It would be prudent to proceed with caution.”

“Indeed,” Shuran replied as he pulled up next to Spock. “I am detecting five humanoids at the crash site and another two aboard the Orion vessel.”

“Are any of these humanoids Vulcan or human?”

"Negative,” Kirk answered. “Their life signs are consistent with Orions, sir.”

“Noted,” Spock brought his bike to a halt behind a large boulder and dismounted. The other two men did the same.

“We will proceed on foot from this point on,” Spock explained as he unholstered his phaser. “Lieutenant-Commander Shuran and Cadet Kirk, you both shall proceed to the Orion vessel. Use non-lethal force to subdue the Orions on board the vessel. I shall proceed to Cadet Uhura’s vessel and do the same.”

"Wait a goddamn second,” McCoy’s voice cut in through the headset. “You’re gonna take on five possibly armed Orions by yourself? Are you trying to get yourself killed?”

Spock raised one slender gloved finger to the side of his helmet and disconnected the audio in from the ship.

"He does have a point,” Kirk began.

"Men, you have your orders.” Spock nodded briefly to each of them before running towards the crash site.

Kirk and Shuran soon followed, matching Spock’s crouching lope across the snow, their phasers raised as the bent low. As they neared the site, Spock veered to the right toward the crashed ship while Shuran and Kirk split up, each approaching the Orion vessel from a different side.

Spock slowed his gait considerably as he neared the crash site. He had to tamp down the quick flare of panic that shot through him upon seeing the smoking remains of the vessel. While he calculated that the probability that Nyota escaped the vessel alive was high, he was less sure that she did so unharmed.

Spock spied one Orion standing guard beside an open shuttle bay door as two other Orions carried supplies and parts scavenged from the heavily damaged vessel to an anti-gravity sled.  Spock flattened himself against the side of the ship as he slowly made his way towards the Orion standing guard. Spock observed the Orions adding to the pile of ship parts on the anti-gravity sled and estimated that he had approximately thirty seconds to incapacitate the guard without immediately alerting his companions. Spock set his phaser to stun and crept to within touching distance of the Orion.

“You appear to have an eight legged creature on your shoulder.” Spock announced as he tapped the guard on the right shoulder.

Alarmed, the guard spun around, phaser raised. However, before he could shout for help or shoot, Spock rendered him unconscious with a quick press of his fingers to his neck. Spock caught the guard before he hit the ground and dragged him to the side of the ship. Just as Spock finished binding the Orion’s hands and ankles, he heard the other Orions making their way down the ramp.

A brief exchange of phaser fire ensued. One of the Orion’s was able to graze Spock’s shoulder with a phaser blast before he too was stunned. The commotion attracted the two remaining Orions. Spock managed to stun one Orion before he was charged and tackled from behind. Spock fell to the ground, his phaser skittering across the snow far out of his reach. The Orion turned him onto his back and delivered two good punches to Spocks face. Spock tasted the copper tang of blood in his mouth. He felt his vision go black.

With a roar, he flung the Orion aside. The Orion hit the side of the ship with a sickening crunch. Spock leapt to his feet and rounded on the Orion, snarling. The Orion managed to land another blow to Spock's jaw before Spock caught hold of his arm in a crushing grip. The Orion howled as Spock brought his other fist crashing down on the Orion's forearm, breaking it. The Orion cradled his broken arm to his chest and pulled out a dagger with his good hand. Spock knocked the blade aside and grasped the Orion by the neck with one hand. Spock tightened his grip on the Orion's neck, relishing the gurgles that escaped from his lips. 

 

In the back of his mind, a part of Spock recoiled at the sight of the Orion struggling to breathe. However a darker, louder part of his psyche thrilled over the sensation of the Orion's slowing heartbeat, triumphed over the panic and pleas for mercy transmitted through the press of his fingers into the Orion's green flesh. 

 

"Spock!" Shuran's voice was barely audible over the rush of blood in Spock's ears. "Spock, do not do this."

 

Spock ignored him and slowly lifted the Orion into the air. Spock smiled at the sight of the Orion's kicking feet and squeezed harder.

 

"Spock! Please, ne ki'ne, we must find Nyota!"

 

Spock dropped the now unconscious Orion and backed away from his inert body. Kirk ran over to the Orion's side and pulled out the medical scanner from the field triage kit. 

 

"He's alive," Kirk called out. "Just barely."

 

Shuran walked over to Spock who stood facing the ship, his eyes shut and his hands clenched at his sides.

 

"Spock..."

 

"If you intend to reprimand me for the use of unnecessary force, you need not concern yourself. Once our current mission is complete, I intend to request a leave of absence so that I may sojourn to Vulcan to seek the assistance of healers. Should you submit a report recommending further censure, I will not pose a defense."

 

Shuran shook his head. "Well, I was just going to ask if you were okay. But I know the answer to that question. You have not been yourself lately and I know you better than to pry. The Orion is fine, just a bit battered. I won't be submitting any reports."

 

Spock sighed and turned towards his friend. "Th'i-oxalra."

 

Shuan nodded. "Think nothing of it. Now, how do we find your cadet?"

 

Spock lifted one eyebrow at Shuran before moving towards the Orion guard whom he first stunned. Spock placed the fingers of his right hand on the Orion’s temple and shut his eyes tight in concentration. Meanwhile, Shuran bound the hands of the Orion slaver lying at Kirk’s feet.

“What’s he doing?” Kirk asked Shuran. “Is that what I think it is?”

"A mind meld,” Shuran replied as he worked. “He is endeavoring to discover what the Orions know about Nyota’s location.”

After a few moments, Spock opened his eyes and focused on Shuran.

  “Nyota and Sybok have been tracked to the forest to the east. Four heavily armed Orions are currently tracking them,” Spock stood and dropped his eyes to the ground. “They have orders to retrieve Sybok dead or alive. As for Nyota, they prefer to apprehend her unscathed, but she is deemed expendable.”

“What’s going on there?” McCoy’s voice cut through the communicators on their helmets. 

“We’re fine, Bones,” Kirk replied before stepping away from Spock and Shuran to fill him in on the details.

“Shuran, please gather these three men and transport them to their ship. They should remain unconscious for the next four hours. I will pursue the cadet.”

Shuran leapt to his feet. “You can’t think that I’d let you pursue these men on your own,” he argued. “Especially not in your condition. I’m coming with you.”

“Sybok and the Orions have had at least two hours to travel prior to our arrival. Nyota could be captured or dead by now. It is imperative that I pursue them as soon as possible. Furthermore, these men will not long survive in this climate exposed to the elements. They must be relocated to safety.”

Shuran stared at his friend for a moment before nodding his acquiescence.  He lifted his arm and quickly punched a few commands into the control pad on his wrist. 

 

“Kirk and I will be right behind you.”

The three hoverbikes silently sped towards them, stopping and idling two meters from where they stood. Spock nodded to Shuran before mounting his bike and speeding off towards the forest.

“Where’s he going?” Kirk asked.

“To retrieve the cadet,” Shuran replied before jogging over to the anti-gravity cart loaded with salvaged ship parts. “We have work to do before we join himi. Be a lad and give me a hand unloading this cart.”

Kirk watched the form of Commander Spock disappear into the forest before turning to join Shuran at his task.

 

Glossary

ne ki'ne: shield partner, the person a warrior could trust most in a battle; a trusted friend and skilled warrior

Th'i-oxalra: thank you, “I appreciate it.”

 












Enter the security code shown below:
Note: You may submit either a rating or a review or both.

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.