A Tangie Tale by dorkygirl1983
Summary:

Todd and Evangeline work to rebuild Evangeline's life after her coma. Naturally, not eveyone is happy about decisions that are made.

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.

I only own Dr. Glasser and Randy, but oh the naughtiness of owning TSJ!!!


Categories: Daytime Television, One Life to Live Characters: Evangeline Williamson
Classification: Cannon
Genre: Drama, Romance
Story Status: None
Pairings: Tangeline (One Life to Live)
Warnings: Adult Situations, Original Characters, Work in Progress
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 12 Completed: No Word count: 12972 Read: 53624 Published: 22/06/08 Updated: 23/06/08
Story Notes:

For this story, when Todd went to Chicago his baby really was dead. He never remarried Blair. I may fudge some other events.

1. Chapter 1 by dorkygirl1983

2. Chapter 2 by dorkygirl1983

3. Chapter 3 by dorkygirl1983

4. Chapter 4 by dorkygirl1983

5. Chapter 5 by dorkygirl1983

6. Chapter 6 by dorkygirl1983

7. Chapter 7 by dorkygirl1983

8. Chapter 8 by dorkygirl1983

9. Chapter 9 by dorkygirl1983

10. Chapter 10 by dorkygirl1983

11. Chapter 11 by dorkygirl1983

12. Chapter 12 by dorkygirl1983

Chapter 1 by dorkygirl1983
Author's Notes:
This is just something to get the ball rolling. It is really short but I like it anyway enjoy. Todd sees Evangeline since his return from Chicago

     Todd gingerly walked toward the room that housed his dearest, and truth be told, only friend. He paused for a moment leaning his head against the door hoping the wave of nausea would pass. Not sure if the nausea was from his healing stab wound or from the all too familiar feeling of hopelessness, Todd gathered his strength and opened the door.
     Once inside the room, Todd was taken aback by how even in a forced slumber, she remained beautiful. Todd lightly walked toward her bed as though he would ruin some magical dream she was immersed in. He sat in a chair near her bed he assumed was occupied by her sister Layla not too long ago.
     For several moments, the only sound that clung to the air was the beeping and whooshing of various monitoring devices. Todd slowly raised his hand to her cheek, slightly cupping it in hopes she would lean into it like she had done on so many other occaisions. He sadly let go of the breath he was holding when the only movement he felt was the trembling of his own hand.

     Feeling slightly defeated, Todd slumped into the chair closing his eyes as leaned his back. With his eyes still closed, Todd finally found his voice.
     "I should have taken you with me," he said in barely a whisper. He opened his eyes half expecting to see her sympathetic smile, but her face remained unchanged. In his head he heard her melodic voice say "Todd there was no way of knowing. You can't protect me from the big bad world."
"That's what you think," he said slightly under his breath.
"That's what who thinks?"
The voice violently shook Todd from his thoughts. He almost popped a stitch trying to see who interrupted his time with Evangeline.
"I asked you a question Manning," Christian said with all the machismo he could muster.
Turning his attention back to Evangeline, Todd replied "I'm not getting into it with you Vega so quit your grunting."
"Why don't you crawl back to the rock you've been hiding under Evangeline didn't need you pawing over her before and she certainly doesn't need it now." Christian said sternly.
"I wasn't pawing her," Todd said with quiet hurt in his voice. "But I can see we won't have anymore privacy, so I'll go...for now."
Todd leaned down and placed a tender kiss on Evangeline's forehead. This simple action lit a fuse of anger and jealousy in Christian.
In barely an audible voice, Todd said "I will be back for you. And I will find a way for you to return to me."

End Notes:
So like I said really short, but I like it. Let me know if you do. I am desperate for attention. Then again arent we all. lol
Chapter 2 by dorkygirl1983
Author's Notes:

So that woman has to make an apperance, but no worries there will be no lovey dovey for her.  I still don't own anything or anyone but Dr. Glasser and Randy which stinks.

As soon as Todd's feet hit the penthouse, he made a beeline for the Scotch. The amber liquid barely hit his stomach before it was followed by more. After pouring himself a third drink, Todd slowly made his way to the couch. He relished the quiet before the shitstorm known as Blair blew into his home.
"Where the hell have you been Todd?" she asked clearly upset.
Although he seemed more interested in the glass in his hand than in Blair's question, Todd answered her trying to keep his emotions in check.
"I went to see Evangeline."
"Oh, is there any change?" Blair asked feigning concern.
"Yeah I'm sure you're real broken up inside," Todd said polishing off his drink.
"Todd I know Evangeline was important to you, but..."
"You know nothing about what Evangeline means to me," Todd said his voice dripping with venom.
"All I'm saying is you need to focus on your own recovery. Besides Evangeline has her own family and a man who loves her. There really isn't any room for you Todd."
Todd turned his back to his ex-wife so that he could hide the hurt her words put into his eyes.
"Why are you here?" Todd asked quickly changing the subject.
"I went to the hospital to check on you, only to be told you checked yourself out. Why would you do such a crazy thing?" Blair asked frustrated.
"Oh come on now Blair. When have I been known to do a sane thing?" Todd asked slightly amused by her growing annoyance with him.
"Todd I'm serious. Dr. Jay said you needed at least another day of bed rest. A collapsed lung is nothing to joke about. How do you think Starr or Jack would react to finding you passed out on the floor?" Blair said gesturing wildly.
"Oh cut the dramatics Blair I'm fine. Besides I can't help Evangeline from some hospital bed."
"So you're risking your health for Evangeline? Come on Todd, I've talked to Paige Miller. They aren't even sure if she will wake up. What could you possibly do?" Blair said in disbelief.
"I got Evangeline her sight back. I pretty damn sure I can wake her up from her little nap."
"I'm sorry I forgot the great Todd Manning can do anything," Blair said sarcastically.
"You used to think so," Todd said voiding his voice of all emotion. "Now if you don't mind, I have some calls to make," Todd said opening the penthouse door.
"Fine Todd. Try and play superhero for Evangeline. But the sooner you realize she isn't coming back, the better off you will be," Blair said enjoying her last dig.
Todd slammed the door as Blair's biting remark hung in the air. He went to his phone and began to feverishly dial numbers. He knew that it wouldn't be cheap getting Evangeline the help she needed, but if the price was to sell what little soul he had, he would gladly do just that to have her back in his world.
"I made you a promise Evangeline and I won't let you down again."
End Notes:
So.....give it to me straight does it suck??? If you think so please keep it to your self my fragile ego can only take so much.
Chapter 3 by dorkygirl1983
Author's Notes:
Just a lttle bonding between Layla and Todd.
"Another day another quack huh Evangeline?"
Todd's attempt at humor was met only with the sound of Evangeline's slow and steady breathing. Over the past three weeks, Todd had flown in a small army of specialists. Some came willingly, some came for the money, and some came because they could not afford to let any skeletons escape their closet. Much to Todd's dismay they all followed the same script.
"I'm sorry Mr. Manning, but there is nothing we can do for Ms. Williamson. The only reasonable thing to do is to try and make her comfortable."
"I don't want her comfortable, I want her awake," Todd growled in frustration.
Todd didn't mean to lash out at the latest doctor, but his patience was wearing thin. With an over burdened heart, Todd claimed his place at Evangeline's bed side. In what had become a daily ritual for him, Todd took Evangeline's hand in his and placed it to his lips. He would sit like this for hours without any food or sleep trying to think of ways to bring her back.
"How much longer are we going to do this to ourselves?" came a soft voice from behind Todd.
Slightly irritated by the question, Todd replied, "And what exactly are we doing to ourselves?"
"Delaying the inevitable. Todd, Evangeline isn't getting any better. I appreciate everything you've done for my sister, but..." Layla could barely let the words pass her lips.
"But what?" Todd prodded.
"But maybe its time we let her go," Layla said in a tear stained voice.
Todd's heart crumbled at the thought of abandoning Evangeline to this unjust fate. Todd rose from his seat to face Layla, never losing contact with Evangeline's hand.
"She just needs more time Layla."
"Todd it has been almost two months."
"So what. People have come out of these things after ten years, and you want to give up after a couple of months? I've got another brain doctor coming next week. She's got this new therapy...”
Todd was silenced by the sight of Layla shaking her head.
"No more Todd," Layla said as tears gathered in her eyes waiting to make their sorrowful trip.
"Layla please don't do this. She just needs more time," Todd said trying to mask his desperation.
"I can't do it anymore Todd. I can't watch my sister being poked and jabbed for hours on end only to be told exactly the same thing by every single doctor. I can't keep raising my hopes only to have them crushed under the weight of the reality that my sister may never come back."
By the end of the sentence, Layla was completely engulfed by her grief. She had made a silent promise to herself to never break down, but at this moment her soul could hold no more pain.
Todd lovingly placed Evangeline's hand back on the bed and made his way to Layla. Unsure of what else to do, Todd gently gathered her into a comforting embrace.
When Todd's arms first made contact, Layla instantly froze. She pulled away and looked into Todd's eyes. For the first time, she saw all of the good Evangeline had spoke of. Even more shocking, Layla saw genuine concern etched in Todd's features.
Upon seeing the shocked expression on Layla's face, Todd took a step back and begin to apologize.
"I'm sorry. I didn't know what else to do, so I just did what I thought Evangeline would do," Todd said stuffing his hands in his pockets.
"I get it now," Layla said still stunned at her discovery.
"Get what?" Todd asked slightly confused.
"Why Vange always defended you. Why she never gave up on you no matter what people said."
"Layla what are you talking about?"
"I know your dirty little secret now Manning," Layla said as a smile crept to her lips. "You aren't completely the cold, ruthless bastard I thought you were."
Letting a small chuckle escape, Todd said "Shhhhh, don't tell anyone. I can't afford to have my rep tarnished."
And for the first time in two months, Layla was able to laugh without the tinge of guilt that usually followed.
Todd soon joined in and they sounded like a couple of teenagers who heard their first dirty joke.
"Okay," Layla said abruptly.
"Okay what?" Todd said arching his eyebrows.
"Okay, we won't give up on her. We will see what this specialist has to say."
"Layla are you sure?"
"Yes. Vange trusts you, and now so do I."
"That was one of Evangeline's biggest mistakes," a voice interrupted from behind.
"And Layla I won't stand by and let you make the same one."
End Notes:

2nd verse same as the first

Chapter 4 by dorkygirl1983
Author's Notes:
So here is a little bit of drama for you. Not much just something to wet the taste buds.
Todd and Layla turned to see Nora standing in the doorway.
"Yeah well no one asked you for you input coma momma," Todd said rolling his eyes.
"Evangeline is one of my dearest friends Todd."
"And what, she's just chop liver to me?" Todd said agitated.
"I don't know what your twisted obsession is with Evangeline. I'm just going to do whatever it takes to make sure you don't hurt her."
"I would never," Todd paused to wrestle his growing anger. "I would never do anything to hurt Evangeline."
"I'm sure Rebecca, Marty, Tea and Blair would say differently," Nora said going straight for the jugular.
"Cute. How's that gay serial killer you call ex-husband doing? I'm sure he and Troy are exchanging great stories about you up at Statesville," Todd said his voice full of malice.
"You son of a bitch," Nora started but Layla quickly came in between the two of them.
"Why don't we continue this conversation outside of Vange's room. She doesn't need to hear you two spit venom at each other," Layla reasoned.
Once outside of the room, Nora turned her attention to Layla.
"So what exactly are you trusting Lord Vader to do?"
"Todd has found another specialist. She has been experimenting with this new therapy, and Todd thinks this could be the break through we've been looking for."
"Sweetie are you sure that's wise?" Nora asked concerned. "I mean Evangeline is in such a fragile state."
"Todd and I agreed that we shouldn't give up on Vange. She wouldn't just walk away from us, so we won't do that to her."
"When did it become Todd and I?" Nora asked astonished at Layla's words.
"That's great. She tells you we may be able to bring Evangeline back and that's all you heard," Todd said shaking his head.
"I heard what she said," Nora replied in a defensive tone. "I'm just curious as to how you slithered your way into the middle of the decision making process."
"Todd is paying for all these specialists, but I have the final say so," Layla said taking on her own defensive tone.
"Oh so he bought his way in?" Nora said shooting death stares at Todd.
"You know Nora, I have had enough of you mouth," Todd began to rant.
"Todd please. I'll handle this," Layla interrupted.
Throwing his hands in the air, Todd walked toward the window that looked into Evangeline's room. "Why was Layla the only one on his side in this?' he wondered aloud.
"Ok Layla the first thing we need to do is get Todd away from your sister. And then we..."
"No," Layla simply replied.
"No? But Layla that man is toxic to your sister," Nora said pleading her case.
"Nora if you are going to be here for Vange, then be here for Vange. I know you hate Todd's guts, but you need to put that aside and focus on helping us get her back."
"Layla you don't know the evil that man is capable of, I do. Manning has a stained soul and a black heart. He will only bring misery to your door step."
"You're wrong. The only thing Todd has brought to my door step is hope. Nora I know you don't believe it, but Todd cares for Vange. And if I have to dance with the devil to get her back I will."
"You're just as stubborn as your sister," Nora said as she shook her head. “I still don't think he's worth the dirt knocked off a boot, but I guess I have to trust your judgment where Manning is concerned. Keep me updated?"
Releasing a sigh of relief, Layla smiled and readily agreed. After embracing Layla, Nora turned and head for the elevators.
"I see Dragon Lady has taken flight," Todd said walking toward Layla.
"Let it go Todd. She's just worried about Vange."
"We all are. Dr. Glasser will be here Tuesday. You going to be ready?"
"Absolutely. Let's get my sister awake."
End Notes:
I know I know....I need to wake Vange up.
Chapter 5 by dorkygirl1983
Author's Notes:

Todd's frustration begins to bubble over, but he always get what he wants right??

“Dr. Glasser I really appreciate you coming on such short notice," Todd said shaking the woman's hand.
"It’s my pleasure Mr. Manning. Besides that million dollar donation was quite hard to ignore. I want you to know your money will help a lot of people."
"I really don't care about other people. My only concern is Evangeline."
"You must care a great deal for Ms. Williamson."
"Yeah we got some unfinished business."
"And what unfinished business would that be?" Layla inquired as she walked toward Todd and Dr. Glasser.
"Uh, Dr. Glasser this is Layla Williamson, Evangeline's sister," Todd said through crimson cheeks.
"Thank you so much for helping my sister," Layla said as she shook Dr. Glasser's hand.
"As I was telling Mr. Manning it’s my pleasure. I believe your sister has a good chance of responding to the therapy."
With a suspious raised eyebrow, Todd said, "You haven't fully explained to me what the therapy is."
"I assure you Mr. Manning everything is legitimate," Dr. Glasser said with confidence.
"Yeah well I still would like to know exactly what I paid a mil for. So start talking or that check won't even be good for wiping your ass."
"Todd!! I apologize Dr. Glasser for Todd's words. He's just frustrated," Layla hurriedly said.
Slightly taken aback, Dr. Glasser spoke, "Please call me Ellen and it’s quite ok. It is understandable for family and friends of coma patients to be frustrated by a lack of progress. To answer your question, my therapy consists of stimulating all of Ms. Williamson's senses. Would I be correct in thinking both of you speak to Ms. Williamson when you visit?"
Both Todd and Layla nodded their heads.
Dr. Glasser continued, "By carrying on a normal conversation with Ms. Williamson, you are stimulating her subconscious and auditory senses. We just have to get her other senses to catch up."

FOUR WEEKS LATER

"Four weeks, and all you've shown us is a little leg twitch," Todd roared at Dr. Glasser.
"No one said this therapy would work over night Mr. Manning," Dr. Glasser responded not taking her eyes off of Evangeline's latest test results. She had grown accustomed to Todd's weekly outburst.
"Besides since we began this course of treatment Evangeline's brain activity has greatly increased."
"I'm sorry I didn't know I was suppose to throw a parade for a leg twitch," Todd replied sarcastically.
"Mr. Manning, Evangeline's leg movement is a sign we are on the right path. Do not stand there and mock her progress," Dr. Glasser curtly replied. Had it not been for her blossoming friendship with Layla, she would have told Manning to take a long walk of a short pier.
"After four weeks of putting hot sauce on Evangeline's tongue and tickling her feet, I'm starting to feel like a loon," Todd said exasperated.
Calming a bit, Dr. Glasser said, "I told you in the beginning my methods were unusual, but they are working. Her brain activity is getting stronger and stronger. Now its time for Evangeline's daily taste test, will you be joining me?"
Smirking at his personal nickname for the oral stimulation part of therapy, Todd nodded his head.
"Good," Dr. Glasser replied. "Because today we are going to try something different."
"The great Dr. Ellen Glasser trying something new? What is the world coming to?" Todd said as a grin played at his lips.

Once inside Evangeline's room, Todd struggled to find the difference Dr. Glasser spoke of. The room was still painted Evangeline's favorite shade of royal purple. Her once bare nightstand was now adorned with family photos. And there she slept peacefully under the hand sewn quilt from her late grandmother.
"Am I missing something her doc?" Todd asked with raised eyebrows.
Ellen smiled softly and pointed to the mobile tray at the foot of Evangeline's bed.
With a furrowed brow, Todd took a closer look at what was lying on the tray.
"Rocky road. That was always her favorite," Todd said mostly to himself.
"Yes I thought Evangeline deserved a little treat," Ellen said looking over her cat eye glasses.
"Why the change from the hot sauce?"
"Looking back on my research, the best results came from a patient's favorite foods. Normally I would stay, but I have some tests from my other patients that need my attention. You got everything under control here?"
"Yeah I can handle this, but I got one question, what happened to the cones?"
With a small chuckle, Ellen replied "Sorry Manning, your check didn't cover cones." And with that she left Todd and Evangeline alone.

Although Todd had done the taste test several times before, this time felt more intimate. He couldn't quite place the reason why, it just did.
"Ok counselor, its no dirty martini with three olives, and believe me I tried, but I think you will enjoy it."
Todd took the plastic spoon and skimmed it across the top of the creamy confection.
"Ok, open wide, here comes the choo choo."
Gently caressing her chin, Todd gently parted Evangeline's lips with the spoon. There was no more than a pea sized amount on the spoon, but Todd was careful not to choke her.
Over the course of the next hour, Todd continued to offer pea sized amounts to Evangeline. He told her abut his newest firings and hirings at the Sun around the mouthfuls he would indulge in.
"So this jackass tries to tell me he's the reason my circulation is up..."
"Mmmmm..."
Todd's head shot up with the spoon still dangling from his lips. Unsure if he heard the moan or not, Todd leaned into Evangeline's face.
"Sweetheart if you can hear me please open your eyes."
After a few moments of silence, Todd sat back down, feeling defeated, in his seat. He began to scrape the bottom of the carton.
"Well Evangeline, here is the last little bit. Hope somewhere in there you are enjoying this."
He placed the last of the now soupy ice cream on Evangeline's tongue, and heard it again.
"Mmmmm..."
"Evangeline!" Todd practically shouted.
"Come on Evangeline fight goddamnit. I know you're in there. Please! Layla needs you. Your mom needs you... I need you." The last part came out as a whisper.
He leaned his forehead against her cheek breathing heavily. After a few moments, he began to feel something wet on his forehead. Todd lifted his hand to his face. He wasn't sweating, but he definitely felt the wetness. He lifted his head and stared in amazement.
Evangeline had a steady stream of tears flowing from her open eyes.
"Evangeline," Todd said as more of a question than statement.
Evangeline turned her head toward Todd. Her lips began to slowly move.
"Mmm...More."
End Notes:

So I am running out of cute things to put here so I am going to quote some of my favorite movies.

"Hey You Guys!!!!"-The Goonies

Chapter 6 by dorkygirl1983
Author's Notes:
So I jumped ahead a little to get things moving. What do we have here ummm there is an argument, some Tangie talk, and some raised hopes.
News of Evangeline's awakening spread through Llanview like a wildfire. Wave after wave of visitors descended upon the hospital, only to be turned away. Although Evangeline was awake, she wasn't quite up for so much attention. Dr. Glasser only allowed family and a handful of Evangeline's friends. Unfortunately that included Christian Vega and his quest to win Evangeline back.
"Hey there Sleeping Beauty," Cris said with a broad smile
"Hi," Evangeline replied with a lazy smile.
"I hope that is a cheeseburger behind your back."
"Of course not," Cris said with a furrowed brow.
"These are much better," He pulled a dozen red roses from behind his back.
"Oh," Evangeline said as disappointment graced her face for a moment.
"You don't like them?" Cris said trying to mask his hurt.
"No, Cris they're lovely. I'm just a little overwhelmed with all the flowers I've been receiving," Evangeline said trying to soothe his ego.
"Yeah well a lot of people care you," Cris said a little dejected. He placed the roses on her already over crowded nightstand beside a dazzling arrangement of orchids. Cris silently cursed his clichéd choice.
"So what have I missed during my hibernation?" Evangeline said with a bright smile.
"Your hibernation? Evangeline you aren't a bear. You were in a coma," Cris replied failing to see the humor in her statement.
"Geez Cris, it was a joke. Lighten up," Evangeline countered her smile in tack.
"A coma is nothing to joke about. A lot of people were worried about you." Cris began to make his way toward Evangeline's bed.
"I was worried about you."
"Christian..."
"Evangeline I love you. These past few months have been hell thinking the woman I love would never come back to me. But you have come back. And now we can move on with our lives together."
"Christian I don't know what to say," Evangeline replied stunned.
"Are you saying you want us to get back together?"
"That's exactly what I'm saying. Evangeline we were good together once. We can have that again," Cris said with hope in his voice.
He sat on the bed with Evangeline and grabbed her hand.
"Please give us another chance," Cris pleaded.
"Am I interrupting something?" came a voice from the doorway.
Cris turned to see the thorn in his side for the past year walk into the room.
"As a matter of fact Manning you are," Cris replied with a heated glare.
"Yeah well we both know I don't give a damn so," Todd replied with a nonchalant hunch of his shoulders.
"Guys please. I really don't want to spend one of my first days fully awake and alert listening to you argue," Evangeline tried to reason.
"Evangeline's right Vega. Why don't you drag your knuckles out of here. I'm sure you have some color by numbers picture to finish," Todd replied while holding the door open.
"You're a real son of a bitch, you know that Manning," Cris said gearing up for a fight.
"Hey I will have none of this in my room," Evangeline yelled causing her to become slightly dizzy.
Todd sees the change in her demeanor and was by her side in a flash.
"Hey take it easy counselor. Don't let a couple of jackasses get you riled up," Todd said handing her a cup of water.
"You're the only jackass in the room Manning," Cris replied crossing his arms over his chest.
"Cris that's enough. Maybe you should go," Evangeline said in a strained voice.
"But we haven't finished out conversation," Cris said slightly bitter.
"I think enough has been said for today. We can finish this conversation another time." Evangeline said with a small smile.
Clenching his jaw, Cris bowed his head slightly.
"Ok, I'll go for now. But I have every intention of finishing our talk. In private."
The last part was aimed directly at Todd who only responded with a raised eyebrow.
Cris took one last look over his shoulder. He didn't want to leave Evangeline alone with Manning, but he wanted to respect her wishes. Cris left with renewed hope that he still held a place in Evangeline’s heart.
As soon as the door closed behind Cris' retreating form, Evangeline slumped back against the bed and closed her eyes.
"So what did the Mexican want," Todd said breaking the silence.
Evangeline smile despite the slight annoyance his words brought.
"Cris, who is Puerto Rican, wanted to talk about our relationship or lack of one I should say."
Not bothering to mask his irritation, Todd replied, "Oh really. What, uh, what did he have to say?"
"Todd I'm not really up to talking about that. I am for more interested in that brown paper bag sitting over there," Evangeline said pointing to a greasy looking bag on the mobile tray.
"Oh that," Todd said with a glint of mischief in his eyes.
"You wouldn't be interested in that. It’s nothing really. I should probably take this and throw it in the garbage."
"Todd Manning don't you dare," Evangeline said in what could only be described as a squeal.
"You bring me that brown paper bag or so help me I will strangle you wit my IV cord."
"Ok ok. Since you asked me so nice. I've always been a sucker for your charm."
Todd tossed the bag into Evangeline's lap and sat in what he considered his chair.
Evangeline peered into the bag and was thrilled with what she saw.
"OOOO!!! Contraband," Evangeline cooed as she pulled out two double bacon cheeseburgers.
"Oh my god you even got me fries."
"Correction. I got us fries," Todd replied leaning over to grab one of the burgers.
Todd couldn't help but to smile as Evangeline's eyes rolled to the back of her head as she enjoyed the greasy sin in her grasp.
"This is better than sex," Evangeline said with a mouth full of burger.
"If you think a burger is better than sex, then clearly neither McBain nor Vega knew what they were doing," Todd said as he polished off the remainder of his burger.
"You think you could do a better job?" Evangeline asked with a raised eyebrow.
Todd nearly swallowed a French fry whole upon hearing Evangeline's very frank and daring question.
Before Todd was able to form a coherent thought, Dr. Glasser walked into the room.
"And what is this?" Dr. Glasser inquired in her best motherly tone.
With a cat that got the canary grin, Evangeline answered, "My reward for being a good little girl while being poked and prodded for the past three days."
"Yes well, I hate cut your reward short, but today is the day you start your physical therapy."
Evangeline tossed the remainder of her burger into the bag with a roll of her eyes.
"Let the torture begin," Evangeline said with a heavy sigh.
"I will take that as my cue to leave," Todd said rising from his seat.
"Will you be back later?" Evangeline asked as hope shone in her eyes.
"Of course. I gotta bring you dessert."
"Good. See that you do."
With that Todd gathered their trash and kissed Evangeline on the forehead.
Todd had one foot out of the door when he heard Evangeline call to him.
"Hey Manning! Try to have an answer when you come back."
End Notes:
"Do, Ray, Egon!!"-Ghostbusters
Chapter 7 by dorkygirl1983
Author's Notes:

The Williamson sisters do a little bonding and have a honest talk. There is also a taste of Tangie flirting

Evangeline lay in bed, lazily flipping through the latest issue of Essence. She was quite worn out from her first physical therapy session and had little strength for much else.
"Knock, knock."
Evangeline raised her head from the magazine and met the dazzling smile of her sister tooth for tooth.
"Hey there stranger," Evangeline said as she sat up in bed.
"How is my big sis doing today," Layla asked as she scooted on to the bed with her sister.
"Sore. Tired. And extremely bored."
"Bored? How could you be bored after the display of fireworks that went off here earlier?"
"Layla what are you talking about?"
"I'm talking about Christian's declaration of love and Todd's interruption."
"How did you find out about that?"
"How do you think? Christian came banging on my door after you tossed him out on his ass in favor of Todd."
"I didn't toss him out on his ass as you so beautifully said. I simply asked him to leave."
"While you allowed Todd to stay," Layla asked with a raised eyebrow.
"Yes Layla, Todd stayed." Evangeline said with a heavy sigh.
"Why am I not surprised?"
"What is that suppose to mean?", Evangeline asked defensively.
"Nothing sis. So when are you going to answer Cris' question?"
"And what question would that be?"
"Don't play dumb Vange. I know Cris asked you to take him back."
"Yeah he did. He said he loves me and wants us to move on with our lives together."
"Is that what you want Vange?"
"Lay I would love nothing more than to move on with my life."
Unknown to the sisters, there was an unwelcomed set of ears listening to their conversation. Believing he had heard all that he needed to hear, Cris took off with a bounce in his step and a smile on his heart.
Finally, he thought to himself, Evangeline and I can be together again.
Meanwhile back in the room, the conversation continued.
"Vange I can see the but sitting on the tip of your tongue so just spit it out," Layla said taking her sister's hand in her own.
"But I don't see a life that includes a relationship with Cris. At least not the kind he wants."
"So you want Cris to be your friend like you and Todd are just friends?" Layla questioned.
"Not exactly," Evangeline said nervously biting her bottom lip.
"My relationship with Todd is complicated."
"Are you sure it’s your relationship with Todd that/s complicated? Or is it really your feelings for Todd that's complicated?"
"Both," Evangeline said with a furrowed brow.
"Evangeline Williamson are you holding out on me?" Layla said in a tone eerily similar to their mother.
"Layla if I was being completely truthful, I am holding out on more than just you."
"Vange you aren't making any sense. What are you trying to say?"
Taking a deep breath, Evangeline finally said out loud what she had already felt in her soul.
"I want Todd."
Confusion etched on Layla's face she replied, "What do you mean you want Todd?"
"I mean when I move on with my life, I want Todd there with me, but as more than a friend. Layla, I think I'm in love with him," Evangeline said astounding herself.
"Oh," Layla said with a shocked expression. She always knew her sister had feelings for Todd, but to hear Evangeline confirm it was mind blowing.
"That’s it. That is all you have to say. I tell you that I think I'm in love with my best friend who just so happens to be Todd Manning and all you can say is oh?", Evangeline said irritation written on her face.
"Calm down Vange. I'm just a little shocked is all. Personally I never thought you would own up to your feelings."
"What is that suppose to mean?"
"It means everyone and their mother could see that you and Todd cared for each other far beyond friendship. The question is what are you doing to do about it?"
"That is the question isn't it. Normally I would run away and bury my head in the sand and pretend I wasn't feeling what I was feeling. I don't want to do that anymore. I want Todd and damnit I'm going after him."
"What about Blair?" Layla asked trying to mask her concern.
"What about her?" Evangeline replied with a slight attitude.
"You know she is not going to let Todd go without a fight. She will do everything she can to make sure she is in the middle of your relationship with Todd."
Evangeline straightened her back and squared her shoulders. She turned to her sister and looked her in the eyes.
"I let a woman come between me and the man I loved because I was more concerned about doing the right thing instead of what was right for me. Well I say to hell with that. If Blair thinks she can intimidate me by saying how she and Todd have a history together than she has another thing coming. I'll play nice as long as she does, but the moment she steps out of line all bets fly out of the window. Blair will learn she is not the only one who can play dirty."
Layla could only stare in amazement at her sister. It had been some time since she saw that much passion in Evangeline's eyes.
"Wow Vange you have really fallen for this guy haven't you?"
"Yeah I have. I have never wanted anyone as much as I want Todd."
"When are you going to tell him?" Layla asked as she threw an arm around her sister.
"Well he promised to bring me dessert so tonight," Evangeline said with a shrug.
Pulling her sister into a hug, Allay said, "Go get him Vange."
Removing herself from Layla's arms, Evangeline's face was one of pleasant surprise.
"And if you need any help with Blair, I got your back," Layla said with a wicked grin.
"Thanks Lay, I really appreciate that," Evangeline said as she pulled her sister into another hug.
"Dear Playboy, what I thought would be a routine visit with a friend turned into so much more," Todd said with a devilish grin.
"You're such a perv Manning," Layla said rising from the bed.
"And still you love me," Todd said throwing an arm around Layla.
"As much as I would love to stay and bask in your presence, I have other plans," Layla said removing Todd's arm from around her shoulders.
"Are you sure you don't want to stay and have chocolate chip cheese cake with us," Todd asked waving a bag in front of him.
"Chocolate chip cheese cake Todd? My god, you're spoiling me!" Evangeline said with a huge grin.
"Yeah well I would spend every dime I have to get you to smile at like that," Todd said with a hint of huskiness in his voice.
Evangeline's breath caught in her throat as she saw repressed passion cloud Todd's eyes.
Starting to feel like an outsider, Layla reluctantly cleared her throat, interrupting Todd and Evangeline's intense starting contest.
"Well, I'm outta here guys. I'll see you tomorrow ok," Layla said as she kissed Evangeline's cheek.
"See you later Manning."
"Night Lay," Todd said as he hugged Layla like she was his little sister.
Once Layla was out of the room, Todd turned all his attention to Evangeline.
"Ok Ms. Williamson are you ready for your dessert," Todd said as he pulled the cheese cake and flatware from the bag.
"Yes, but first you and I need to talk," Evangeline said in a soft and serious tone.
Todd stiffened with concern.
"What do we need to talk about," he asked as he sat facing her on the bed.
Looking directly into his eyes, Evangeline replied, "Us."
End Notes:
"You are the brute squad."-The Princess Bride
Chapter 8 by dorkygirl1983
Author's Notes:
Time for some real talk. No more dancing, no more flirting...well a little more flirting.

“Us? What about us? I thought we were ok. I thought we were good,” Todd said in a slightly panicked tone.
Evangeline reached over and embraced Todd’s face to both reassure him and calm her trembling nerves.
“No we were good. I mean we are good. I just… This is a lot harder than I thought it would be,” Evangeline said as she removed her hands from Todd’s face.
Todd caught hold of her hand before it was completely out of reach. He brought Evangeline’s palm to his lips leaving a gentle kiss that seared her skin.
As he slid Evangeline’s hand back to his cheek, Todd closed his eyes and whispered words of encouragement.
“Whatever you have to say, nothing changes”
“That’s the problem Todd. Something has already changed.”
Removing her hand from his cheek, but maintaining it in his grasp, Todd replied, “Is this change good or bad?”
“Both.”
“Why don’t you stop stalling counselor and tell me what’s on your mind?”
“I’m not stalling,” Evangeline said with a roll of her eyes.
“I think I have been in enough courtrooms to know when a lawyer is stalling,” Todd said with a smug grin.
Biting back a grin of her own, Evangeline replied “Just think about how that number could have been cut in half if you would have listened to any number of the lawyers you have employed.”
“Wouldn’t have mattered. None of them were as brilliant as you. They weren’t as beautiful either.”
Evangeline bowed her head slightly, hoping to hide the flush of embarrassment and passion his compliment brought to her cheeks.
“Now counselor if you’re done beating around the bush, I would love to hear about this good and bad change you’ve experienced.”
Deciding to handle this like a cross examination, Evangeline steeled her heart to ask a very dangerous question.
“What is the status of your relationship with Blair?”
Confusion marred Todd’s beautiful features.
“What does my relationship with Blair have to do with this change of yours?”
“Todd could you just answer the question please,” Evangeline said with a sigh.
Feeling slightly annoyed that Evangeline seemed to be gearing up for another round of ‘You’ll always love Blair; Todd released her hand and moved away from the bed.
“How many times do I have to tell you that what Blair and I had died when I saw her humping Dr. Strangelove. I mean sure for a while there I thought there was hope, but then she went and played hide the paintbrush with Barney Rubble at Llantano Mountain. The only reason I talk to Blair is my kids.”
On the brink of losing control, Evangeline forged ahead with her questions.
“What makes this time so different from all those other times you and Blair broke things off? How do I know that you guys won’t be planning your fifth trip down the aisle in the next six months?”
Growing frustrated with Evangeline’s questions regarding Blair, Todd began slamming the cheesecake and flatware back into the bag.
“What are you doing?” Evangeline asked with a fear tinged voice.
“Leaving,” Todd said without looking at Evangeline.
“Leaving? Why are you leaving?” It was now Evangeline’s turn to panic.
“Because I came here to spend time with you, not to be grilled about my so called undying love for Blair.” Todd was now staring daggers at Evangeline, his hurt evident in those baby blues.
“Todd I’m sorry. I just…,” Evangeline tried to get the words out as the steel around her heart began to falter.
Softening a little, Todd say back down on the bed.
“You’re starting to freak me out here. I mean first we’re talking about a good and bad change you’re going through, then you go into prosecutor mode and start questioning me about Blair. Just talk to me please,” Todd pleaded.
Smiling a little, Evangeline responded, “How did you pick up on the shift. Not even Layla notice when I do that.”
“How many times have I seen you in court? Your voice always gets a little deeper when you are cross examining people. Never thought I would be on the receiving end of it though.”
Bowing her head slightly, Evangeline struggled to keep the tears at bay.
“Todd I’m so sorry for speaking to you that way. I just needed to know if I stood a chance”
“Stood a chance? Evangeline what are you talking about?”
“I just… Oh to hell with words.”
Evangeline reached over and caressed the nape of Todd’s neck. She slowly pulled him forward until their lips met. Evangeline’s lips massaged Todd’s until a second later she felt him respond. Todd slid his hand into Evangeline’s hair gently massaging her scalp. Their tender kiss soon turned hungry. Evangeline devoured Todd’s lips like it was her first meal in days. Soon Todd greedily claimed Evangeline’s tongue as his own. The dizzying need for oxygen forced the two apart.
Evangeline and Todd could only stare at one another. Their breathless pants were the only sounds in the room.
Hoping to lighten the mood, Todd said “So that’s some change you’ve had.”
“Yeah it is. And all it took was a coma,” Evangeline said with a smile.
Placing his hand tenderly to Evangeline’s cheek, Todd said “So what does this mean? We’ve kissed before only to have you shove us back into the friend category. I’m not sure if I can be accommodating if that’s what you want.”
“Well,” Evangeline started as she leaned toward Todd, “Why don’t you unpack that cheesecake and we will talk about what this means.”
“Now it all makes sense,” Todd said with a grin. “You kissed me to get to the cheesecake.”
Evangeline couldn’t help but to laugh. As she closed the distance between the two, Evangeline said, “Why Mr. Manning you know me so well.”
“Yes counselor I do,” Todd said as their lips met for another toe curling kiss.
As their kiss ended, Todd laid his forehead on Evangeline’s and said, “This won’t be easy. There are people who absolutely hate my guts.”
“I don’t care. I want you. Dirty deeds and all.”
“You say that now, but…,” Todd started.
“But nothing. Don’t doubt us or me before we even get started. I’m not Blair,” Evangeline said hurt evident in her voice.
“I would never insult you like that. I just don’t want to rush into anything.”
“Todd I’m not asking you to marry me. Just to give whatever this is a shot.”
“Fair enough. So, how about that cheesecake?” Todd said with a smile.
“Finally!” Evangeline said throwing her head back.
Laughing, Todd unpacked the cheesecake yet again.
Todd raised a fork full of cheesecake and said, “To us.”
Evangeline raised her fork in return and said “To us.”

End Notes:
"This is Sparta!!"-300
Chapter 9 by dorkygirl1983
Author's Notes:

Tangie happiness interrupted by craziness.

Todd and Evangeline spent the rest of the evening adjusting to the new shift in their relationship. Between bites of gourmet cheesecake, they exchanged stories and tender kisses. Whenever Todd spoke about a particularly nasty memory of Peter Manning, Evangeline was there to support him. She cried for him when he wouldn’t allow himself to.
As the evening hours gave way to early morning light, Todd and Evangeline both found themselves fighting sleep.
“I should really leave so you can get some rest,” Todd said as he pulled Evangeline tighter to his chest.
Although neither is sure how it happened, Todd and Evangeline found themselves lying in each other’s arms. At first they were merely facing each other arms length apart, but as the night wore on they quickly closed the gap.
Openly yawning, Evangeline snuggled closer to Todd tightening her grip on his shirt.
“Not yet. Can’t you stay a little long?” Evangeline asked as she entwined her legs with Todd’s.
Todd had noticed earlier in the night that Evangeline did this whenever he would suggest it was time for him to leave. Not that he objected to the intimate contact.
“You know I’m going to have to leave eventually,” Todd said through lidded eyes.
“I know but why the rush?”
“Trust me when I say I’m not rushing, but I’ll make you a deal. If you go to sleep right now, I won’t leave until your nurse comes to get you for your first round of tests.”
“I think I can live with that. Will you bring me some breakfast?” Evangeline said in a hazy voice.
“Well aren’t we getting spoiled?” Todd said in a teasing tone.
“I’m not spoiled. I just really hate hospital food.”
“Okay I’ll bring you breakfast. Now will you please get some rest?”
“You’re really bossy,” Evangeline said barely finishing her sentence.
“And you’re really stubborn.”
Expecting a snappy comeback, Todd was a little surprised to see Evangeline fast asleep. Chuckling slightly at the sight of Evangeline asleep with her mouth open, Todd let her soft snores lull him to sleep.
A few hours later, Todd opened his eyes and realized the previous night wasn’t a dream. For the first time in a long while, he slept peacefully without nightmares. He attributed that to the woman who lay snuggled against him.
Todd’s early morning thoughts were interrupted by a soft, but forceful knock on the door. Believing it be the morning nurse, Todd made no move to extract himself from Evangeline’s arms.
“Evangeline sweetheart I know it’s early but…”
The words died on Cris’ lips as he took in the scene before him. Evangeline, the woman he loved, was in the arms of the town psychopath. How dare he put his hands on my woman, Cris thought to himself.
Cris stormed the bed and snatched Todd up by his collar, violently waking Evangeline in the process.
“What the hell do you think you’re doing Manning?” Cris screamed as he slammed Todd against a wall.
“Get your goddamn hands off of me!” Todd yelled as he pushed Cris away from him.
“Christian what the hell are you doing,” Evangeline said as she tried to shake a growing migraine.
“I came here so we could finish our talk and I found this sick son of a bitch lying in bed with you. He must have snuck in here while you were asleep,” Cris said seething.
“I didn’t sneak in anywhere I was invited,” Todd said taking a challenging step forward.
“Yeah right. Evangeline called you up first thing in the morning and invited you to get into bed with her. You’re delusional Manning,” Cris said following Todd’s lead and taking a challenging step of his own.
“Christian will you please calm down,” Evangeline said coming between the two men hoping to regain some peace in the room.
“How am I suppose to calm down when this bastard was trying to have his way with you!”
“Vega you no clue what’s going on here so why don’t you crawl back to your cave.”
“I know what I saw Manning and I should smash your face in,” Cris yelled taking another step forward.
“That’s enough Christian! You have no right to barge into my room and hurl accusations,” Evangeline said trying to ignore the spinning of the room.
“Evangeline that pervert had his hands all over you. Who knows what would have happened if I didn’t show up,” Cris said trying to reign in his anger.
“Oh give me a break,” Todd said with a roll of his eyes.
“Why are you even here Manning?” Cris said feeling his temper rise again.
“Todd is here because I want him here.”
“Fine but why was he in the bed with you?”
“Because Todd spent the night with me.”
The weight of Evangeline’s words knocked the breath out of Cris’ lungs. He closed his eyes as images of Todd and Evangeline being intimate danced across his mind. He slowly opened his eyes to see Todd standing next Evangeline with his hand on the small of her back.
“So you finally did it. You finally conned your way into her pants. How did you do it? Did you use your poor dead son again?” Cris said with a malice drenched voice.
Taking two swift steps forward, Todd grabbed Cris by his collar.
“You son of bitch! Don’t you ever speak of any of my children you got that!”
“Todd let him go,” Evangeline said as she rested her hands on his forearms.
Todd reluctantly released Cris and backed away, never breaking eye contact. He went and sat in a chair next to the bed.
“How dare you say something like that,” Evangeline said with a mixture of anger, hurt, and disappointment in her voice.
“I dare because that man is the master of manipulation. He conned you before and he’s doing it now. I won’t stand by and let him come between us again.”
“Us? Christian there is no us and there hasn’t been for a long time.”
Confusion begins to creep across Cris’ features as replayed the conversation between Layla and Evangeline.
“I thought you said you would love to nothing more than to move on with your life.”
“How did you know I said that?”
Realizing he was busted, Cris decided to just come clean.
“Yesterday I came to visit you and I overheard you and Layla talking. You were talking about moving on with you life and I thought that life included me.”
“Christian you had no right to eavesdrop on my private conversation.”
“I know and I’m sorry for that,” Cris said as he reached over and grabbed Evangeline’s hand.
Uncomfortable with where this could lead, Todd stood up and made his presence known.
“Yeah well Evangeline already knew you were sorry.”
“Shut it Manning.”
“Wow that was almost a full sentence. I guess Hooked on Phonics really does work.”
“Todd please,” Evangeline said as she turned to look at him.
Pulling her hand from Cris’ grip, Evangeline walked toward Todd.
“Could you give us a few minutes please. Christian and I have some things we need to talk about.”
I don’t know if I want to leave you alone with Speed Gonzales,” Todd said with a nod toward Cris.
“I’ll be fine,” Evangeline said trying to suppress a smile.
“Besides you promised me breakfast. And I’m sure you have a ton of calls from the Sun to return. So go home, get cleaned up and when you are finished come back and we can have some breakfast.”
Although still uncomfortable with leaving Cris alone with Evangeline, Todd found solace in the fact that she wanted him to return.
“That’s a very good argument counselor. I will see you later for breakfast,” Todd said as he leaned forward and placed a delicate kiss on Evangeline’s lips.
The contact of their lips was so brief that Cris, who was staring intently, wasn’t sure if the kiss actually took place. That didn’t stop his jealously from rearing up.
Todd gathered his things from the chair and nightstand and began to make his way out of the room. Before he fully crossed the threshold, Todd turned around and headed for Evangeline. Deciding his earlier kiss was not fulfilling, Todd embraced Evangeline’s lips.
Slightly startled by Todd’s boldness, Evangeline hesitated in returning the kiss. The hesitation lasted only a second before Evangeline was lost in the warm caress of Todd’s lips. They were startled out of the kiss by the low mumbles of a forgotten Cris.
“Just wanted to give you a proper good bye,” Todd said as he walked back towards the door.
“Vega, you’ve been a jackass like always.”
“Drop dead Manning.”
“After that kiss it would be a happy death,” Todd laughed as he made his way to the elevators.
Once Todd had left the room, Cris turned a cold hard glare to Evangeline.
“I think you owe me an explanation,” Cris said as he folded his arms across his chest.
“Cris I don’t owe you anything.”
“Oh I think you do. I come here to give us another chance and I find you in bed with Todd.”
“I didn’t ask you for another chance. You just assumed that’s what I wanted.”
“Evangeline we love each other. What we had you could never have with Manning.”
“That’s not such a bad thing.”
“What the hell does that mean?” Cris said his jaw clenching with anger.
“It means what we had was good but it wasn’t great. Our relationship didn’t fulfill me the way I wanted.”
“I thought I made you happy. I gave you everything I had to offer and you’re telling me it wasn’t enough?”
“I’m telling you that we both deserve a shot a real happiness.”
“I had real happiness with you. Evangeline I love you and you love me. I know this thing you have with Manning is just to punish me for sleeping with Blair. I understand and I know we can get past it.”
Outraged that Cris would think she would use someone for vengeance, Evangeline began to prepare for the day ahead so she could give herself time to get a handle on her anger.
After a few deep breaths, Evangeline turned and faced Cris.
“Cris what we had is over. There is no going back for us. I hope in time you can understand that and we can be friends.”
Fighting the lump in his throat, Cris simply shook his head.
“No Evangeline. I won’t accept that this is the end. I won’t lose to Manning.”
“This isn’t about winning or losing Christian.”
“Then what is it about? Do you want me to prove how much I love you?”
“I want you to accept that this is the end.”
“I’m sorry but I can’t. I’m going to do everything I can to show you that we are meant to be together.”
Cris quickly crossed the room and grabbed Evangeline by the shoulders. He slammed his lips upon hers in a rough kiss. He forced his tongue so far into her mouth she nearly gagged. Cris’ stench of paint thinner and sweat made Evangeline sick to her stomach.
Finally releasing the grip he had on Evangeline, Cris grinned like the village idiot.
“See, I told you we weren’t over. I’ll be back later with a surprise.”
Before Evangeline could finally regain her composure, Cris happily walked out of the room.
Exhausted from the gauntlet of emotions she had run, Evangeline flopped on to the bed.
‘It’s going to take a miracle to keep those two from killing each other,’ Evangeline thought out loud. Deciding to worry about that later, Evangeline headed to the bathroom to shower and prepare for physical therapy.
At least the day couldn’t throw her any more curve balls. Could it?

End Notes:
"Can you teach me some moves!!"-The Last Dragon
Chapter 10 by dorkygirl1983
Author's Notes:
Let the drama begin!!! Oh and here is where Randy comes in. I may be bias becasuse I created her, but I flove her!!!!

After a turbulent start to the day, Evangeline’s morning went smoothly. Her physical therapist, Molly, was amazed at how far she had come in such a short amount of time. Molly was so impressed that she offered to recommend to Dr. Glasser that Evangeline’s release date be moved up. Hearing that tidbit helped to take Evangeline’s mind off of the earlier situation with Christian.
As Evangeline returned to her room, she was greeted by the alluring scent of hazelnut coffee with a hint of cinnamon and Belgium waffles topped with whip cream and fresh strawberries.
“That man does spoil you,” Miranda, the head nurse, said as she helped Evangeline into the bed.
“Just a bit,” Evangeline said with a sly grin.
“He even left you a note. It’s probably full of sweet nothings,” Miranda said handing it to Evangeline.
“More like smart ass remarks.”
“Dear Evangeline,
I hope you enjoy your brunch. There was booze, but Dr. Glasser confiscated the champagne. Sorry I can’t enjoy this feast with you, but tell Randy I said saddle up, she works hard. See you later this evening.
-Todd”
Evangeline’s face beamed as she reread the note. She carefully refolded it and placed it in the top drawer of the nightstand.
“Well Randy it appears that Todd spoils you also.”
“That jerk. He promised he wouldn’t tell anyone about that nickname,” Miranda said with a fake scowl. Miranda’s childhood nickname had slipped out when Todd first began visiting Evangeline. He told her she wasn’t snotty enough to be a Miranda. She agreed and told him she often went by Randy growing up.
“What do you mean he spoils me also,” Miranda said shaking her self from the memory.
“He insisted that you join me. He wouldn’t take no for an answer and neither will I.”
“Well I wouldn’t want to offend you or Todd. And its not often a member of the hospital board brings you breakfast,” Miranda said as she settled in at the moveable table.
“No it isn’t, but I think Todd may have a bit of a soft spot for you,” Evangeline said as she began pouring them coffee.
“That’s because I was the only one besides Layla and Dr. Glasser that was bold enough to tell him when he started stinking up the place,” Miranda said as she piled their plates with waffles and strawberries.
“Well Todd does appreciate honesty.”
“That he does. So do you want to talk about Vega and his sneak attack earlier?” Miranda asked as she began cutting into her waffles.
Although Evangeline enjoyed Miranda’s company and thought of her as a friend, she wasn’t sure if she wanted to talk about something so personal.
“So are you seeing anyone?” Evangeline evaded as she cut into her stack of waffles.
“Well that was a big ole mind your own business if I ever heard one,” Miranda replied with a smile.
Horrified that she may have offended Miranda, Evangeline began to back track.
“I didn’t mean it like that. It’s just that so much has happened and I’ve barely had time to process it all…”
Evangeline’s words came out in a flurry of manic gestures and nervous laughter.
“Whoa there Vange. I was only kidding. But from the sound of thins Captain Caveman really got under your skin,” Miranda said as she scooped up a heap of whip cream with her waffle.
“Not you too,” Evangeline sighed heavily.
“Hey I’m sorry but the name fits. The man walks around beating on everything in sight trying to get his way. He is rude and has intimidated most of my staff to the point where they duck and cover if they see him coming.”
“I’ll admit that Christian can be a little over zealous at times, but he means well.”
“Over zealous my eye! That guy’s got a hair trigger temper. I don’t know much about him but he gives off bad juju.”
“You guys wouldn’t be talking about any one I know would you?”
Evangeline and Miranda were both amazed to see the topic of their discussion standing in the door way.
“Christian. What are you doing here?” Evangeline said trying to recover from her initial shock.
“I told you I would be back and here I am,” Cris said with a goofy grin.
“Yes Vange, he is here. Again. And without so much as a phone call or a simple knock on the door,” Miranda said as she gathered the remainder of their breakfast.
“Is there something you need to say to me?” Cris said taking a defensive tone.
“As a matter of fact…”
“Miranda could you give Cris and me a few minutes alone please?” Evangeline pleaded, interrupting what would have been a major tongue lasing from the fiery southern.
“Sure thing Vange,” Miranda said barely removing her eyes from Christian.
“Beep me if things get a little too over zealous for you.”
And with that Miranda carried the breakfast tray from the room without so much as a second glance for Christian.
“What the hell is her problem?” Chris asked visibly irritated.
“Randy, I mean Miranda, is just a little over protective. Especially after that scene this morning.”
“Yeah well I didn’t come back to rehash our earlier disagreement. I came to give you your surprise.”
“Christian what happen earlier was a lot more than a simple disagreement.”
“Evangeline I don’t want to get into that with you right now. Just open your gift.”
Christian handed Evangeline a soft blue velvet ring box.
“Oh Christian I don’t think this is such a good idea,” Evangeline said her wyes never leaving the box.
“Just open the box,” Cris said slightly giddy.
Hesitantly Evangeline opened the box and let go of the breath she unknowingly held.
“Christian it’s beautiful.”
Inside the box was a simple gold necklace with a single diamond hanging from it.
“I was going to give it to you for your birthday, but other things got in the way.”
Feeling a twinge of guilt, Evangeline closed the box and handed it back to Cris.
“Christian I can’t accept this from you,” Evangeline said in an apologetic tone.
“Why not?” Christian said with a mixture of anger and hurt.
“Because accepting this necklace would be like making an unspoken promise that you and I will be together.”
“Is that so wrong?”
“Yes. Especially when it’s something I know I don’t want.”
“Evangeline you’ve been awake barely a month. Things are still muddled in your brain. And to top it all off, you’ve been letting Manning confuse you.”
“Excuse me?” Evangeline interrupted, insulted by Cris’ words.
“I just mean Manning is trying to manipulate the situation so that he can take advantage.”
“Take advantage?” Evangeline’s voice raised several notches as she felt her anger grow.
Cris didn’t seem to notice and continued on as though he had said nothing wrong.
“Evangeline you’re very weak and vulnerable right now, and Manning is trying to prey on that. I won’t let him use you,” Cris said as he reached for Evangeline’s hand.
Evangeline snatched her hand away in disgust.
“How dare you? You have no right to say those things to me,” Evangeline said in a forceful whisper.
Put off by Evangeline’s chilly reception, Cris leaned away from her and raised an angry eyebrow.
“Evangeline I love you and I’m just looking out for your best interest. Manning has been weaseling his way into your life for a few years. He is the reason we broke up.”
A sarcastic smile began to spread across Evangeline’s face.
“Congratulations Christian. You have finally said something that has some truth to it. I was so desperate to have someone tell me I love you that I didn’t care who said it. I ignored the longing in my heart. You always said the words, but I never really felt them.”
“Are you saying you never love me?” Cris asked fighting back emotion.
“I’m saying I was never in love with you,” Evangeline said with raw emotion showing in her voice.
Christian walked away from Evangeline needing to collect his thoughts. His emotions ran the gauntlet from hurt to disappointment and finally to his favorite anger.
“I can’t believe you,” Christian said once he finally turned around to face Evangeline.
“I came here to pour my heart out to you. I was ready to jump through any and every hoop for you. And yet there you sit on your high horse saying you never loved me.”
“Christian I did love you on some level, but I wasn’t in love with you.”
“But you are in love with Manning is that it? You just woke up one morning and decided to throw away everything we had. Everything we could have had. And for what? Scum like manning?!”
By now Christian’s is getting louder and louder.
“Christian please you’re making a scene,” Evangeline said as she fidgeted with the blankets.
“Oh so you don’t want anyone to know? Come Evangeline let’s spread the good news. Let’s tell the whole world how you have become Manning’s whore,” Cris said as he let his rage fuel his words.
All of the good feelings Evangeline had for Christian evaporated in that moment.
“Get out,” Evangeline said scraping together the last of her emotional strength.
“Tell me Vange do you enjoy having his hands all over you?” Christian asked as he used his arms to keep Evangeline in place on the bed.
“Christian I said leave. We have nothing else to say to each other.” As she spoke, Evangeline searched for the call button.
Evangeline looked calm, but inside she was losing control.
“I there is a lot more to be said,” Cris said as he moved to caress Evangeline’s face.
“And I say this conversation is over.”
Christian turned around and came face to face with a very pissed off Todd Manning.

End Notes:
"So let me in the house!!"-Fear
Chapter 11 by dorkygirl1983
Author's Notes:
And now the beeping beep hits the fan.

“Well look who it is Vange. Your rapist in shining armor,” Christian said with a grad gesture of his arms.
Todd’s hackles rose when Christian called him a rapist in front of Evangeline. He hated having his past thrown in her face.
“I think Evangeline has made it clear you have overstayed your welcome, so why don’t you go and fail at a third career,” Todd said in the most even tone he could manage.
Ignoring Todd’s comment, Christian remained seated on Evangeline’s bed with his hand on her upper thigh.
“So Evangeline has told me the good news,” Christian said as he rubbed Evangeline’s thigh.
Feeling increasingly uncomfortable with Christian’s physical contact, Evangeline began to push his hand away.
“And what good news would that be?” Todd said moving closer to get a better look at Evangeline. He wanted to make sure she was okay before he broke every bone in Christian’s hand.
“Don’t play dumb Manning. Evangeline told me how she is throwing away a chance at a normal, stable, and happy life to lay in bed with you and your fleas.”
“Christian I understand that you are hurt, but all of this uncalled for,” Evangeline said grabbing a hold of Cris’ hand, finally freeing her thigh from his grasp.
Looking at their joined hands seemed to fuel Cris’ anger.
“Of course you understand. I mean McBain did leave you to roast for Natalie.”
Tears immediately sprang to Evangeline’s eyes as she snatched her hand away.
Todd crossed the room in a step and a half and grabbed Cris by the collar and threw him violently to the ground.
“You listen tome you son of a bitch. You are going to get up and walk your sorry ass out of that door and out of Evangeline’s life.”
Todd’s breath was labored and raggedy from his building rage toward Christian.
Christian began to laugh like a hyena as he lay in the middle of the room,
Evangeline and Todd traded curious looks as Christian’s laughter began to subside. He stood up and made a grand showing of dusting himself off.
“What the hell is so funny?” Todd said as he stood between Christian and Evangeline like the Berlin Wall.
“This whole twisted situation. I mean come on Manning. How long do you think it’s going to be before you go back to Blair?”
“Blair and I are over,” Todd said in a cold voice.
“Over? There is no over you two Manning. Just a never ending cycle of I love you I hate you.”
“You’re wrong. I love Evangeline more than I thought I could ever love someone. I don’t know why I’m explaining myself to you. I suggest you leave now because my patience is wearing thin.”
“I know you still love me Evangeline. I can feel it. And when you’re done spreading your legs…”
Christian’s sentence was interrupted by a left hook from Todd. He quickly followed the hook with a blow to Christian’s ribs.
Staggered but not beaten, Christian tackled Todd to the floor.
“Oh god Todd!” Evangeline screamed as she rushed from the bed.
Christian straddled Todd squeezing the life out of him.
“You don’t deserve her! You don’t deserve to live!” Christian screamed over and over again. His voice was ripe with rage and malice.
“Christian please let him go!” Evangeline said through tears as she tugged at his shirt.
The sound of Evangeline pleading seem to egg Christian on. The more she cried, the tighter Christian’s grip became. He openly enjoyed the various shades of blue and purple that danced over Todd’s features.
Not knowing what else to do, Evangeline picked up the vase of cheap roses and smashed Christian over the head.
The blow shocked Christian enough that his grip on Todd loosened. Evangeline was relieved to hear the coughing and gagging of Todd trying to catch his breath.
“Evangeline how could you do that?” Christian said as he staggered toward her.
“Christian you were out of control. I had to stop you before…”
“SHUT UP!! Just shut your mouth!” Christian shouted as he grabbed Evangeline by the wrists.
“Christian let go you’re hurting me,” Evangeline said in a strained voice.
“I love you. We can still be happy. Why don’t you see that I’m what’s best!”
By now Christian is shaking Evangeline and backing her into a corner.
Christian was so consumed with his madness that he didn’t notice Todd standing up.
Although he felt like his lungs were burning a hole through his chest, Todd began to make his way toward Christian and Evangeline.
“I suggest you get your goddamn hands off of her,” Todd said in a hoarse whisper.
Evangeline’s eyes shone with a mixture of fear, happiness, and unshed tears. Todd fixed his gaze on her and felt all of her emotions run through him.
“You and what army is going to make me,” Christian said as he maintained his grip on Evangeline’s wrists.
“This army darlin’.”
Both Evangeline and Christian turned to see Miranda standing in the door way with two beefy security guards.
“Either you let Vange go or I let my pit bulls have a nice treat,” Miranda said in a voice drenched with false sweetness.
Seeing that he was clearly out muscled, Christian released Evangeline and backed away with hands raised.
“Now if you gentlemen would be so kind as to escort Mr. Vega into the hallway and keep him company as he waits for Llanview’s finest,” Miranda instructed as the two mountain of men grabbed Christian’s arms and walked him to the door.
“I still love you. This is just a bump in the road for us. I’ll see you soon honey,” Christian yelled over his shoulder as he was being led out of the room.
Evangeline began to shiver as Christian’s words rang in her ears.
Todd rushed to her side and began to stroke and kiss her hair.
“Are you ok? Did he hurt you?” Todd said in between kisses.
“I’m fine, but look at your neck. He almost killed you.”
“It’s nothing. That was by far the easiest near death moment I’ve ever had,” Todd said with a crooked grin.
“I can’t believe you’re making jokes at a time like this,” Evangeline said as she gently caressed Todd’s neck.
“You know there is a professional in the room if you guys wanna know my humble opinion,” Miranda said reminding Todd and Evangeline of her presence.
“Randy you do know how to make a hell of an entrance,” Todd said as he walked Evangeline back to her bed.
“Yes well I have always had a flair for the dramatics,” Miranda said as she looked over the bruising and swelling around Todd’s neck.
“Well you’re running your mouth so that’s a good sign there is no permanent damage to you vocal chords or larynx. Other than sounding like you gargle with Jack Daniels and cigarettes for a while, you’ll be fine.”
“Thank god,” Evangeline said with a heavy sigh.
“What about her?” Todd said as he began to rub her back.
“Todd I’m fine really,” Evangeline said while linking her hand with his.
“I think I’ll be the judge of that,” Miranda said as she took Evangeline’s wrists into her hands.
Evangeline hissed at the slight contact.
“I don’t think they’re broken but I’m going to get some X-rays to be sure. Until then I’m going to get you guys some ice to help with the swelling.”
Once Miranda left the room, Evangeline collapsed into Todd’s arms and began to shake.
“Hey hey. What’s this all about?” Todd said in a soothing voice.
“I was just so scared. The last time I saw Christian that out of control he was beating up Vince’s lackey.”
“Yeah well I’m a lot tougher than that guy.”
“I know, but I saw your face change colors and I thought this it. We’re over before we started,” Evangeline said her voice cracking with emotion.
“Hey let’s not dwell on that. We’re not over. We’re right her together.”
“Yeah. Yeah we are.”
Todd and Evangeline spent the rest of the evening just staring at each other, but Christian’s words still haunted them both.

End Notes:
"You're worthy. You're worthy. Get up!"-Wayne's World 2
Chapter 12 by dorkygirl1983
Author's Notes:
Just some Tangie angst sprinkled with some fluff.

“Christian please stop!”
“He doesn’t deserve you! He doesn’t deserve to live!”
Todd awoke in a cold sweat. He looked around startled before realizing he was still in Evangeline’s room. It had been almost a week since Christian nearly strangled the life from him and tried God knows what with Evangeline. It wasn’t Todd’s near death that was giving him nightmares. It was the sound of Evangeline’s anguished cries that had him tossing and turning.
He looked down beside him where Evangeline lay unaware of the torment plaguing Todd’s heart. He meant it when he said he loved her, but in the back of his mind Christian’s words rang true. Todd could think of nothing he had done in the past that would grant him such a reward as Evangeline’s love. He knew it was only a matter of time before Evangeline would realize her mistake and leave. Todd was more than sure of this; he had already made peace with it. He was just going to enjoy the time he got holding her in his arms.
Sensing Todd’s torment, Evangeline snaked her arms around his waist.
“Stop it,” she said with her eyes still closed.
“Stop what?” Todd said with a furrowed brow.
“Stop thinking. I can hear the gears in your head turning,” Evangeline said with a smile.
“I’m sorry I didn’t mean for you to hear the hamster running up there.”
“Are we going to talk about it?” Evangeline asked blinking away sleep.
“Talk about what?” Todd asked as he stood up and stretched.
He would have to talk to the hospital board about getting more comfortable beds in the rooms. Although he loved beginning and ending the day with Evangeline in his arms, it was starting to take a toll on his back.
“Whatever had you tossing and turning,” Evangeline said as she pulled her knees up to her chest.
“So tomorrow’s the big day?” Todd said as he stretched once more.
“Don’t change the subject. I know you aren’t sleeping well, so you may as well spill it,” Evangeline said with a soft smile.
“I’m fine,” Todd said as he leaned down to kiss Evangeline on the top of her head.
Evangeline pulled away from Todd’s kiss and locked eyes with him.
“Don’t do that,” Evangeline said slightly frustrated.
“I’m sorry, you’re right. I should know better than to try and kiss you with morning breath,” Todd said as he sat facing Evangeline his hand tenderly stroking her knee.
“When are you going to stop avoiding the elephant in the room?”
“I don’t know what you’re talking about,” Todd said his fingers at play on Evangeline’s knee.
Evangeline reached out and stilled his movements.
“Todd,” Evangeline said as she laced her fingers with his.
Todd made no movement to look Evangeline in the eyes.
“Todd please don’t shut me out,” Evangeline said slightly squeezing Todd’s hand.
Todd lifted his other hand and began to gently caress Evangeline’s cheek.
“I need to get going. I have a big welcome home article about you I need to finish for tomorrow’s front page.”
Evangeline closed her eyes and shook her head frustrated.
Todd rose from the bed and grabbed his jacket that was lying on a near by chair.
“Christian was wrong.”
Evangeline’s words rooted Todd to the spot.
“What?” Todd whispered while hesitantly looking over his shoulder.
“I said Christian is wrong,” Evangeline repeated as she slid off the bed.
Her leg muscles weren’t as strong as she would like, so Evangeline took slow measured steps.
“I know his words are keeping you awake at night, but you don’t have to worry I’m not going any where. I’m exactly where I want to be.”
Todd remained with his back to Evangeline trying to process what he had heard.
“Todd look at me please,” Evangeline pleaded as she placed her hand on his elbow.
Todd turned and stared into those warm chocolate orbs hoping to be seen as a man worth loving. And there in Evangeline’s eyes he saw her soul laid bare.
“You love me,” Todd’s words came out more as a statement than a question.
Feeling very shy and vulnerable, Evangeline bowed her head and whispered, “Yes.”
Todd’s hands found their way to Evangeline’s face. He caressed her cheeks with his thumbs, then slowly leaned down and kissed her full lips. Evangeline sighed her pleasure to Todd’s kiss. Todd moaned in response to Evangeline’s enjoyment of the kiss.
Breaking the kiss, Todd rested his forehead on Evangeline’s. He took deep breaths trying to steady his breathing and calm his nerves.
“This could be the biggest mistake of your life,” Todd said as he brushed his face against hers.
“This is my mistake to make. Why are you fighting this?” Evangeline said as she pulled away to look him in the eyes.
“I’m not, I just know how this could end,” Todd said slightly broken.
Stepping out of Todd’s embrace, Evangeline squared her shoulders and raised her chin in defiance.
“And how is this going to end?”
“Evangeline, I didn’t mean…”
“No Todd you tell me since you have all the answers. How is this going to end?” Evangeline said in a voice racked with emotion.
Seeing the unshed tears glisten in Evangeline’s eyes tore Todd’s heart from his chest.
“Evangeline I don’t know if or when or how this will end exactly. I just know that every day I struggle with this darkness and I just don’t want that to touch you.”
“Todd I know about all of the things you have done in the past and I don’t care. Stop trying to warn me and just love me.”
Evangeline’s words washed over Todd like a cold shower. Todd closed his eyes as her words warmed a part of his heart he had long thought dead.
“I can’t…I just…” Todd fought to gather his thoughts.
Blowing out a frustrated breath, Todd grasped Evangeline’s face in his hands.
“I’m yours. My heart, my soul, my mind, and my body. Evangeline I’m all yours,” Todd said in a strained voice.
Tears began to spill through Evangeline’s closed eyes.
“Its all I ever wanted since I came back from the dead. I mean from the time Spencer killed me, not this whole Chicago mess,” Todd said with a smirk.
“You always were good at making inappropriate jokes Manning,” Evangeline said with a bright smile.
“Tell me you love me,” Todd said as his tone became somber.
“I,” Evangeline said and kissed his left eye.
“Love,” then she kissed his right eye.
“You,” finally she placed a tender kiss on his lips.
Todd’s hands went to the nape of Evangeline’s neck. He gently ran his fingers up into her scalp. Breaking the kiss, Evangeline smiled against his lips.
“I thought you had an article to finish.”
“Its ok, I know the owner pretty well. I mean he is an ok guy to be a bastard.”
“What am I going to do with you?” Evangeline said around a giggle.
“I could think of a couple of things,” Todd said in a husky voice that sent a flurry of shivers down her spine.
“And on that note I think its time for you to go,” Evangeline said backing away from Todd.
“Oh come one. Things were starting to get good,” Todd said wrapping his arms around her waist.
“Why don’t you finish up this wonderful article about me, then come back and take me home.”
“That’s perfect. By the time I make my way back here your surprise should be ready.”
“What surprise?” Evangeline asked hesitantly.
“Don’t worry I have take care of everything,” Todd said as he gave Evangeline a quick peck and bounced out the door.
“That’s what I’m afraid of,” Evangeline smiled to herself.

End Notes:
"Thrill me, chill me, fulfill me."-The Rocky Horror Picture Show
This story archived at http://https://www.valentchamber.com/vault/viewstory.php?sid=11