Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Let the drama begin!!! Oh and here is where Randy comes in. I may be bias becasuse I created her, but I flove her!!!!


Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


After a turbulent start to the day, Evangeline’s morning went smoothly. Her physical therapist, Molly, was amazed at how far she had come in such a short amount of time. Molly was so impressed that she offered to recommend to Dr. Glasser that Evangeline’s release date be moved up. Hearing that tidbit helped to take Evangeline’s mind off of the earlier situation with Christian.
As Evangeline returned to her room, she was greeted by the alluring scent of hazelnut coffee with a hint of cinnamon and Belgium waffles topped with whip cream and fresh strawberries.
“That man does spoil you,” Miranda, the head nurse, said as she helped Evangeline into the bed.
“Just a bit,” Evangeline said with a sly grin.
“He even left you a note. It’s probably full of sweet nothings,” Miranda said handing it to Evangeline.
“More like smart ass remarks.”
“Dear Evangeline,
I hope you enjoy your brunch. There was booze, but Dr. Glasser confiscated the champagne. Sorry I can’t enjoy this feast with you, but tell Randy I said saddle up, she works hard. See you later this evening.
-Todd”
Evangeline’s face beamed as she reread the note. She carefully refolded it and placed it in the top drawer of the nightstand.
“Well Randy it appears that Todd spoils you also.”
“That jerk. He promised he wouldn’t tell anyone about that nickname,” Miranda said with a fake scowl. Miranda’s childhood nickname had slipped out when Todd first began visiting Evangeline. He told her she wasn’t snotty enough to be a Miranda. She agreed and told him she often went by Randy growing up.
“What do you mean he spoils me also,” Miranda said shaking her self from the memory.
“He insisted that you join me. He wouldn’t take no for an answer and neither will I.”
“Well I wouldn’t want to offend you or Todd. And its not often a member of the hospital board brings you breakfast,” Miranda said as she settled in at the moveable table.
“No it isn’t, but I think Todd may have a bit of a soft spot for you,” Evangeline said as she began pouring them coffee.
“That’s because I was the only one besides Layla and Dr. Glasser that was bold enough to tell him when he started stinking up the place,” Miranda said as she piled their plates with waffles and strawberries.
“Well Todd does appreciate honesty.”
“That he does. So do you want to talk about Vega and his sneak attack earlier?” Miranda asked as she began cutting into her waffles.
Although Evangeline enjoyed Miranda’s company and thought of her as a friend, she wasn’t sure if she wanted to talk about something so personal.
“So are you seeing anyone?” Evangeline evaded as she cut into her stack of waffles.
“Well that was a big ole mind your own business if I ever heard one,” Miranda replied with a smile.
Horrified that she may have offended Miranda, Evangeline began to back track.
“I didn’t mean it like that. It’s just that so much has happened and I’ve barely had time to process it all…”
Evangeline’s words came out in a flurry of manic gestures and nervous laughter.
“Whoa there Vange. I was only kidding. But from the sound of thins Captain Caveman really got under your skin,” Miranda said as she scooped up a heap of whip cream with her waffle.
“Not you too,” Evangeline sighed heavily.
“Hey I’m sorry but the name fits. The man walks around beating on everything in sight trying to get his way. He is rude and has intimidated most of my staff to the point where they duck and cover if they see him coming.”
“I’ll admit that Christian can be a little over zealous at times, but he means well.”
“Over zealous my eye! That guy’s got a hair trigger temper. I don’t know much about him but he gives off bad juju.”
“You guys wouldn’t be talking about any one I know would you?”
Evangeline and Miranda were both amazed to see the topic of their discussion standing in the door way.
“Christian. What are you doing here?” Evangeline said trying to recover from her initial shock.
“I told you I would be back and here I am,” Cris said with a goofy grin.
“Yes Vange, he is here. Again. And without so much as a phone call or a simple knock on the door,” Miranda said as she gathered the remainder of their breakfast.
“Is there something you need to say to me?” Cris said taking a defensive tone.
“As a matter of fact…”
“Miranda could you give Cris and me a few minutes alone please?” Evangeline pleaded, interrupting what would have been a major tongue lasing from the fiery southern.
“Sure thing Vange,” Miranda said barely removing her eyes from Christian.
“Beep me if things get a little too over zealous for you.”
And with that Miranda carried the breakfast tray from the room without so much as a second glance for Christian.
“What the hell is her problem?” Chris asked visibly irritated.
“Randy, I mean Miranda, is just a little over protective. Especially after that scene this morning.”
“Yeah well I didn’t come back to rehash our earlier disagreement. I came to give you your surprise.”
“Christian what happen earlier was a lot more than a simple disagreement.”
“Evangeline I don’t want to get into that with you right now. Just open your gift.”
Christian handed Evangeline a soft blue velvet ring box.
“Oh Christian I don’t think this is such a good idea,” Evangeline said her wyes never leaving the box.
“Just open the box,” Cris said slightly giddy.
Hesitantly Evangeline opened the box and let go of the breath she unknowingly held.
“Christian it’s beautiful.”
Inside the box was a simple gold necklace with a single diamond hanging from it.
“I was going to give it to you for your birthday, but other things got in the way.”
Feeling a twinge of guilt, Evangeline closed the box and handed it back to Cris.
“Christian I can’t accept this from you,” Evangeline said in an apologetic tone.
“Why not?” Christian said with a mixture of anger and hurt.
“Because accepting this necklace would be like making an unspoken promise that you and I will be together.”
“Is that so wrong?”
“Yes. Especially when it’s something I know I don’t want.”
“Evangeline you’ve been awake barely a month. Things are still muddled in your brain. And to top it all off, you’ve been letting Manning confuse you.”
“Excuse me?” Evangeline interrupted, insulted by Cris’ words.
“I just mean Manning is trying to manipulate the situation so that he can take advantage.”
“Take advantage?” Evangeline’s voice raised several notches as she felt her anger grow.
Cris didn’t seem to notice and continued on as though he had said nothing wrong.
“Evangeline you’re very weak and vulnerable right now, and Manning is trying to prey on that. I won’t let him use you,” Cris said as he reached for Evangeline’s hand.
Evangeline snatched her hand away in disgust.
“How dare you? You have no right to say those things to me,” Evangeline said in a forceful whisper.
Put off by Evangeline’s chilly reception, Cris leaned away from her and raised an angry eyebrow.
“Evangeline I love you and I’m just looking out for your best interest. Manning has been weaseling his way into your life for a few years. He is the reason we broke up.”
A sarcastic smile began to spread across Evangeline’s face.
“Congratulations Christian. You have finally said something that has some truth to it. I was so desperate to have someone tell me I love you that I didn’t care who said it. I ignored the longing in my heart. You always said the words, but I never really felt them.”
“Are you saying you never love me?” Cris asked fighting back emotion.
“I’m saying I was never in love with you,” Evangeline said with raw emotion showing in her voice.
Christian walked away from Evangeline needing to collect his thoughts. His emotions ran the gauntlet from hurt to disappointment and finally to his favorite anger.
“I can’t believe you,” Christian said once he finally turned around to face Evangeline.
“I came here to pour my heart out to you. I was ready to jump through any and every hoop for you. And yet there you sit on your high horse saying you never loved me.”
“Christian I did love you on some level, but I wasn’t in love with you.”
“But you are in love with Manning is that it? You just woke up one morning and decided to throw away everything we had. Everything we could have had. And for what? Scum like manning?!”
By now Christian’s is getting louder and louder.
“Christian please you’re making a scene,” Evangeline said as she fidgeted with the blankets.
“Oh so you don’t want anyone to know? Come Evangeline let’s spread the good news. Let’s tell the whole world how you have become Manning’s whore,” Cris said as he let his rage fuel his words.
All of the good feelings Evangeline had for Christian evaporated in that moment.
“Get out,” Evangeline said scraping together the last of her emotional strength.
“Tell me Vange do you enjoy having his hands all over you?” Christian asked as he used his arms to keep Evangeline in place on the bed.
“Christian I said leave. We have nothing else to say to each other.” As she spoke, Evangeline searched for the call button.
Evangeline looked calm, but inside she was losing control.
“I there is a lot more to be said,” Cris said as he moved to caress Evangeline’s face.
“And I say this conversation is over.”
Christian turned around and came face to face with a very pissed off Todd Manning.






Chapter End Notes:
"So let me in the house!!"-Fear