Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Just some Tangie angst sprinkled with some fluff.


Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


“Christian please stop!”
“He doesn’t deserve you! He doesn’t deserve to live!”
Todd awoke in a cold sweat. He looked around startled before realizing he was still in Evangeline’s room. It had been almost a week since Christian nearly strangled the life from him and tried God knows what with Evangeline. It wasn’t Todd’s near death that was giving him nightmares. It was the sound of Evangeline’s anguished cries that had him tossing and turning.
He looked down beside him where Evangeline lay unaware of the torment plaguing Todd’s heart. He meant it when he said he loved her, but in the back of his mind Christian’s words rang true. Todd could think of nothing he had done in the past that would grant him such a reward as Evangeline’s love. He knew it was only a matter of time before Evangeline would realize her mistake and leave. Todd was more than sure of this; he had already made peace with it. He was just going to enjoy the time he got holding her in his arms.
Sensing Todd’s torment, Evangeline snaked her arms around his waist.
“Stop it,” she said with her eyes still closed.
“Stop what?” Todd said with a furrowed brow.
“Stop thinking. I can hear the gears in your head turning,” Evangeline said with a smile.
“I’m sorry I didn’t mean for you to hear the hamster running up there.”
“Are we going to talk about it?” Evangeline asked blinking away sleep.
“Talk about what?” Todd asked as he stood up and stretched.
He would have to talk to the hospital board about getting more comfortable beds in the rooms. Although he loved beginning and ending the day with Evangeline in his arms, it was starting to take a toll on his back.
“Whatever had you tossing and turning,” Evangeline said as she pulled her knees up to her chest.
“So tomorrow’s the big day?” Todd said as he stretched once more.
“Don’t change the subject. I know you aren’t sleeping well, so you may as well spill it,” Evangeline said with a soft smile.
“I’m fine,” Todd said as he leaned down to kiss Evangeline on the top of her head.
Evangeline pulled away from Todd’s kiss and locked eyes with him.
“Don’t do that,” Evangeline said slightly frustrated.
“I’m sorry, you’re right. I should know better than to try and kiss you with morning breath,” Todd said as he sat facing Evangeline his hand tenderly stroking her knee.
“When are you going to stop avoiding the elephant in the room?”
“I don’t know what you’re talking about,” Todd said his fingers at play on Evangeline’s knee.
Evangeline reached out and stilled his movements.
“Todd,” Evangeline said as she laced her fingers with his.
Todd made no movement to look Evangeline in the eyes.
“Todd please don’t shut me out,” Evangeline said slightly squeezing Todd’s hand.
Todd lifted his other hand and began to gently caress Evangeline’s cheek.
“I need to get going. I have a big welcome home article about you I need to finish for tomorrow’s front page.”
Evangeline closed her eyes and shook her head frustrated.
Todd rose from the bed and grabbed his jacket that was lying on a near by chair.
“Christian was wrong.”
Evangeline’s words rooted Todd to the spot.
“What?” Todd whispered while hesitantly looking over his shoulder.
“I said Christian is wrong,” Evangeline repeated as she slid off the bed.
Her leg muscles weren’t as strong as she would like, so Evangeline took slow measured steps.
“I know his words are keeping you awake at night, but you don’t have to worry I’m not going any where. I’m exactly where I want to be.”
Todd remained with his back to Evangeline trying to process what he had heard.
“Todd look at me please,” Evangeline pleaded as she placed her hand on his elbow.
Todd turned and stared into those warm chocolate orbs hoping to be seen as a man worth loving. And there in Evangeline’s eyes he saw her soul laid bare.
“You love me,” Todd’s words came out more as a statement than a question.
Feeling very shy and vulnerable, Evangeline bowed her head and whispered, “Yes.”
Todd’s hands found their way to Evangeline’s face. He caressed her cheeks with his thumbs, then slowly leaned down and kissed her full lips. Evangeline sighed her pleasure to Todd’s kiss. Todd moaned in response to Evangeline’s enjoyment of the kiss.
Breaking the kiss, Todd rested his forehead on Evangeline’s. He took deep breaths trying to steady his breathing and calm his nerves.
“This could be the biggest mistake of your life,” Todd said as he brushed his face against hers.
“This is my mistake to make. Why are you fighting this?” Evangeline said as she pulled away to look him in the eyes.
“I’m not, I just know how this could end,” Todd said slightly broken.
Stepping out of Todd’s embrace, Evangeline squared her shoulders and raised her chin in defiance.
“And how is this going to end?”
“Evangeline, I didn’t mean…”
“No Todd you tell me since you have all the answers. How is this going to end?” Evangeline said in a voice racked with emotion.
Seeing the unshed tears glisten in Evangeline’s eyes tore Todd’s heart from his chest.
“Evangeline I don’t know if or when or how this will end exactly. I just know that every day I struggle with this darkness and I just don’t want that to touch you.”
“Todd I know about all of the things you have done in the past and I don’t care. Stop trying to warn me and just love me.”
Evangeline’s words washed over Todd like a cold shower. Todd closed his eyes as her words warmed a part of his heart he had long thought dead.
“I can’t…I just…” Todd fought to gather his thoughts.
Blowing out a frustrated breath, Todd grasped Evangeline’s face in his hands.
“I’m yours. My heart, my soul, my mind, and my body. Evangeline I’m all yours,” Todd said in a strained voice.
Tears began to spill through Evangeline’s closed eyes.
“Its all I ever wanted since I came back from the dead. I mean from the time Spencer killed me, not this whole Chicago mess,” Todd said with a smirk.
“You always were good at making inappropriate jokes Manning,” Evangeline said with a bright smile.
“Tell me you love me,” Todd said as his tone became somber.
“I,” Evangeline said and kissed his left eye.
“Love,” then she kissed his right eye.
“You,” finally she placed a tender kiss on his lips.
Todd’s hands went to the nape of Evangeline’s neck. He gently ran his fingers up into her scalp. Breaking the kiss, Evangeline smiled against his lips.
“I thought you had an article to finish.”
“Its ok, I know the owner pretty well. I mean he is an ok guy to be a bastard.”
“What am I going to do with you?” Evangeline said around a giggle.
“I could think of a couple of things,” Todd said in a husky voice that sent a flurry of shivers down her spine.
“And on that note I think its time for you to go,” Evangeline said backing away from Todd.
“Oh come one. Things were starting to get good,” Todd said wrapping his arms around her waist.
“Why don’t you finish up this wonderful article about me, then come back and take me home.”
“That’s perfect. By the time I make my way back here your surprise should be ready.”
“What surprise?” Evangeline asked hesitantly.
“Don’t worry I have take care of everything,” Todd said as he gave Evangeline a quick peck and bounced out the door.
“That’s what I’m afraid of,” Evangeline smiled to herself.






Chapter End Notes:
"Thrill me, chill me, fulfill me."-The Rocky Horror Picture Show