Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Just a lttle bonding between Layla and Todd.


Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


"Another day another quack huh Evangeline?"
Todd's attempt at humor was met only with the sound of Evangeline's slow and steady breathing. Over the past three weeks, Todd had flown in a small army of specialists. Some came willingly, some came for the money, and some came because they could not afford to let any skeletons escape their closet. Much to Todd's dismay they all followed the same script.
"I'm sorry Mr. Manning, but there is nothing we can do for Ms. Williamson. The only reasonable thing to do is to try and make her comfortable."
"I don't want her comfortable, I want her awake," Todd growled in frustration.
Todd didn't mean to lash out at the latest doctor, but his patience was wearing thin. With an over burdened heart, Todd claimed his place at Evangeline's bed side. In what had become a daily ritual for him, Todd took Evangeline's hand in his and placed it to his lips. He would sit like this for hours without any food or sleep trying to think of ways to bring her back.
"How much longer are we going to do this to ourselves?" came a soft voice from behind Todd.
Slightly irritated by the question, Todd replied, "And what exactly are we doing to ourselves?"
"Delaying the inevitable. Todd, Evangeline isn't getting any better. I appreciate everything you've done for my sister, but..." Layla could barely let the words pass her lips.
"But what?" Todd prodded.
"But maybe its time we let her go," Layla said in a tear stained voice.
Todd's heart crumbled at the thought of abandoning Evangeline to this unjust fate. Todd rose from his seat to face Layla, never losing contact with Evangeline's hand.
"She just needs more time Layla."
"Todd it has been almost two months."
"So what. People have come out of these things after ten years, and you want to give up after a couple of months? I've got another brain doctor coming next week. She's got this new therapy...”
Todd was silenced by the sight of Layla shaking her head.
"No more Todd," Layla said as tears gathered in her eyes waiting to make their sorrowful trip.
"Layla please don't do this. She just needs more time," Todd said trying to mask his desperation.
"I can't do it anymore Todd. I can't watch my sister being poked and jabbed for hours on end only to be told exactly the same thing by every single doctor. I can't keep raising my hopes only to have them crushed under the weight of the reality that my sister may never come back."
By the end of the sentence, Layla was completely engulfed by her grief. She had made a silent promise to herself to never break down, but at this moment her soul could hold no more pain.
Todd lovingly placed Evangeline's hand back on the bed and made his way to Layla. Unsure of what else to do, Todd gently gathered her into a comforting embrace.
When Todd's arms first made contact, Layla instantly froze. She pulled away and looked into Todd's eyes. For the first time, she saw all of the good Evangeline had spoke of. Even more shocking, Layla saw genuine concern etched in Todd's features.
Upon seeing the shocked expression on Layla's face, Todd took a step back and begin to apologize.
"I'm sorry. I didn't know what else to do, so I just did what I thought Evangeline would do," Todd said stuffing his hands in his pockets.
"I get it now," Layla said still stunned at her discovery.
"Get what?" Todd asked slightly confused.
"Why Vange always defended you. Why she never gave up on you no matter what people said."
"Layla what are you talking about?"
"I know your dirty little secret now Manning," Layla said as a smile crept to her lips. "You aren't completely the cold, ruthless bastard I thought you were."
Letting a small chuckle escape, Todd said "Shhhhh, don't tell anyone. I can't afford to have my rep tarnished."
And for the first time in two months, Layla was able to laugh without the tinge of guilt that usually followed.
Todd soon joined in and they sounded like a couple of teenagers who heard their first dirty joke.
"Okay," Layla said abruptly.
"Okay what?" Todd said arching his eyebrows.
"Okay, we won't give up on her. We will see what this specialist has to say."
"Layla are you sure?"
"Yes. Vange trusts you, and now so do I."
"That was one of Evangeline's biggest mistakes," a voice interrupted from behind.
"And Layla I won't stand by and let you make the same one."





Chapter End Notes:

2nd verse same as the first