Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Todd's frustration begins to bubble over, but he always get what he wants right??




Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


“Dr. Glasser I really appreciate you coming on such short notice," Todd said shaking the woman's hand.
"It’s my pleasure Mr. Manning. Besides that million dollar donation was quite hard to ignore. I want you to know your money will help a lot of people."
"I really don't care about other people. My only concern is Evangeline."
"You must care a great deal for Ms. Williamson."
"Yeah we got some unfinished business."
"And what unfinished business would that be?" Layla inquired as she walked toward Todd and Dr. Glasser.
"Uh, Dr. Glasser this is Layla Williamson, Evangeline's sister," Todd said through crimson cheeks.
"Thank you so much for helping my sister," Layla said as she shook Dr. Glasser's hand.
"As I was telling Mr. Manning it’s my pleasure. I believe your sister has a good chance of responding to the therapy."
With a suspious raised eyebrow, Todd said, "You haven't fully explained to me what the therapy is."
"I assure you Mr. Manning everything is legitimate," Dr. Glasser said with confidence.
"Yeah well I still would like to know exactly what I paid a mil for. So start talking or that check won't even be good for wiping your ass."
"Todd!! I apologize Dr. Glasser for Todd's words. He's just frustrated," Layla hurriedly said.
Slightly taken aback, Dr. Glasser spoke, "Please call me Ellen and it’s quite ok. It is understandable for family and friends of coma patients to be frustrated by a lack of progress. To answer your question, my therapy consists of stimulating all of Ms. Williamson's senses. Would I be correct in thinking both of you speak to Ms. Williamson when you visit?"
Both Todd and Layla nodded their heads.
Dr. Glasser continued, "By carrying on a normal conversation with Ms. Williamson, you are stimulating her subconscious and auditory senses. We just have to get her other senses to catch up."

FOUR WEEKS LATER

"Four weeks, and all you've shown us is a little leg twitch," Todd roared at Dr. Glasser.
"No one said this therapy would work over night Mr. Manning," Dr. Glasser responded not taking her eyes off of Evangeline's latest test results. She had grown accustomed to Todd's weekly outburst.
"Besides since we began this course of treatment Evangeline's brain activity has greatly increased."
"I'm sorry I didn't know I was suppose to throw a parade for a leg twitch," Todd replied sarcastically.
"Mr. Manning, Evangeline's leg movement is a sign we are on the right path. Do not stand there and mock her progress," Dr. Glasser curtly replied. Had it not been for her blossoming friendship with Layla, she would have told Manning to take a long walk of a short pier.
"After four weeks of putting hot sauce on Evangeline's tongue and tickling her feet, I'm starting to feel like a loon," Todd said exasperated.
Calming a bit, Dr. Glasser said, "I told you in the beginning my methods were unusual, but they are working. Her brain activity is getting stronger and stronger. Now its time for Evangeline's daily taste test, will you be joining me?"
Smirking at his personal nickname for the oral stimulation part of therapy, Todd nodded his head.
"Good," Dr. Glasser replied. "Because today we are going to try something different."
"The great Dr. Ellen Glasser trying something new? What is the world coming to?" Todd said as a grin played at his lips.

Once inside Evangeline's room, Todd struggled to find the difference Dr. Glasser spoke of. The room was still painted Evangeline's favorite shade of royal purple. Her once bare nightstand was now adorned with family photos. And there she slept peacefully under the hand sewn quilt from her late grandmother.
"Am I missing something her doc?" Todd asked with raised eyebrows.
Ellen smiled softly and pointed to the mobile tray at the foot of Evangeline's bed.
With a furrowed brow, Todd took a closer look at what was lying on the tray.
"Rocky road. That was always her favorite," Todd said mostly to himself.
"Yes I thought Evangeline deserved a little treat," Ellen said looking over her cat eye glasses.
"Why the change from the hot sauce?"
"Looking back on my research, the best results came from a patient's favorite foods. Normally I would stay, but I have some tests from my other patients that need my attention. You got everything under control here?"
"Yeah I can handle this, but I got one question, what happened to the cones?"
With a small chuckle, Ellen replied "Sorry Manning, your check didn't cover cones." And with that she left Todd and Evangeline alone.

Although Todd had done the taste test several times before, this time felt more intimate. He couldn't quite place the reason why, it just did.
"Ok counselor, its no dirty martini with three olives, and believe me I tried, but I think you will enjoy it."
Todd took the plastic spoon and skimmed it across the top of the creamy confection.
"Ok, open wide, here comes the choo choo."
Gently caressing her chin, Todd gently parted Evangeline's lips with the spoon. There was no more than a pea sized amount on the spoon, but Todd was careful not to choke her.
Over the course of the next hour, Todd continued to offer pea sized amounts to Evangeline. He told her abut his newest firings and hirings at the Sun around the mouthfuls he would indulge in.
"So this jackass tries to tell me he's the reason my circulation is up..."
"Mmmmm..."
Todd's head shot up with the spoon still dangling from his lips. Unsure if he heard the moan or not, Todd leaned into Evangeline's face.
"Sweetheart if you can hear me please open your eyes."
After a few moments of silence, Todd sat back down, feeling defeated, in his seat. He began to scrape the bottom of the carton.
"Well Evangeline, here is the last little bit. Hope somewhere in there you are enjoying this."
He placed the last of the now soupy ice cream on Evangeline's tongue, and heard it again.
"Mmmmm..."
"Evangeline!" Todd practically shouted.
"Come on Evangeline fight goddamnit. I know you're in there. Please! Layla needs you. Your mom needs you... I need you." The last part came out as a whisper.
He leaned his forehead against her cheek breathing heavily. After a few moments, he began to feel something wet on his forehead. Todd lifted his hand to his face. He wasn't sweating, but he definitely felt the wetness. He lifted his head and stared in amazement.
Evangeline had a steady stream of tears flowing from her open eyes.
"Evangeline," Todd said as more of a question than statement.
Evangeline turned her head toward Todd. Her lips began to slowly move.
"Mmm...More."





Chapter End Notes:

So I am running out of cute things to put here so I am going to quote some of my favorite movies.

"Hey You Guys!!!!"-The Goonies