Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
So I jumped ahead a little to get things moving. What do we have here ummm there is an argument, some Tangie talk, and some raised hopes.


Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


News of Evangeline's awakening spread through Llanview like a wildfire. Wave after wave of visitors descended upon the hospital, only to be turned away. Although Evangeline was awake, she wasn't quite up for so much attention. Dr. Glasser only allowed family and a handful of Evangeline's friends. Unfortunately that included Christian Vega and his quest to win Evangeline back.
"Hey there Sleeping Beauty," Cris said with a broad smile
"Hi," Evangeline replied with a lazy smile.
"I hope that is a cheeseburger behind your back."
"Of course not," Cris said with a furrowed brow.
"These are much better," He pulled a dozen red roses from behind his back.
"Oh," Evangeline said as disappointment graced her face for a moment.
"You don't like them?" Cris said trying to mask his hurt.
"No, Cris they're lovely. I'm just a little overwhelmed with all the flowers I've been receiving," Evangeline said trying to soothe his ego.
"Yeah well a lot of people care you," Cris said a little dejected. He placed the roses on her already over crowded nightstand beside a dazzling arrangement of orchids. Cris silently cursed his clichéd choice.
"So what have I missed during my hibernation?" Evangeline said with a bright smile.
"Your hibernation? Evangeline you aren't a bear. You were in a coma," Cris replied failing to see the humor in her statement.
"Geez Cris, it was a joke. Lighten up," Evangeline countered her smile in tack.
"A coma is nothing to joke about. A lot of people were worried about you." Cris began to make his way toward Evangeline's bed.
"I was worried about you."
"Christian..."
"Evangeline I love you. These past few months have been hell thinking the woman I love would never come back to me. But you have come back. And now we can move on with our lives together."
"Christian I don't know what to say," Evangeline replied stunned.
"Are you saying you want us to get back together?"
"That's exactly what I'm saying. Evangeline we were good together once. We can have that again," Cris said with hope in his voice.
He sat on the bed with Evangeline and grabbed her hand.
"Please give us another chance," Cris pleaded.
"Am I interrupting something?" came a voice from the doorway.
Cris turned to see the thorn in his side for the past year walk into the room.
"As a matter of fact Manning you are," Cris replied with a heated glare.
"Yeah well we both know I don't give a damn so," Todd replied with a nonchalant hunch of his shoulders.
"Guys please. I really don't want to spend one of my first days fully awake and alert listening to you argue," Evangeline tried to reason.
"Evangeline's right Vega. Why don't you drag your knuckles out of here. I'm sure you have some color by numbers picture to finish," Todd replied while holding the door open.
"You're a real son of a bitch, you know that Manning," Cris said gearing up for a fight.
"Hey I will have none of this in my room," Evangeline yelled causing her to become slightly dizzy.
Todd sees the change in her demeanor and was by her side in a flash.
"Hey take it easy counselor. Don't let a couple of jackasses get you riled up," Todd said handing her a cup of water.
"You're the only jackass in the room Manning," Cris replied crossing his arms over his chest.
"Cris that's enough. Maybe you should go," Evangeline said in a strained voice.
"But we haven't finished out conversation," Cris said slightly bitter.
"I think enough has been said for today. We can finish this conversation another time." Evangeline said with a small smile.
Clenching his jaw, Cris bowed his head slightly.
"Ok, I'll go for now. But I have every intention of finishing our talk. In private."
The last part was aimed directly at Todd who only responded with a raised eyebrow.
Cris took one last look over his shoulder. He didn't want to leave Evangeline alone with Manning, but he wanted to respect her wishes. Cris left with renewed hope that he still held a place in Evangeline’s heart.
As soon as the door closed behind Cris' retreating form, Evangeline slumped back against the bed and closed her eyes.
"So what did the Mexican want," Todd said breaking the silence.
Evangeline smile despite the slight annoyance his words brought.
"Cris, who is Puerto Rican, wanted to talk about our relationship or lack of one I should say."
Not bothering to mask his irritation, Todd replied, "Oh really. What, uh, what did he have to say?"
"Todd I'm not really up to talking about that. I am for more interested in that brown paper bag sitting over there," Evangeline said pointing to a greasy looking bag on the mobile tray.
"Oh that," Todd said with a glint of mischief in his eyes.
"You wouldn't be interested in that. It’s nothing really. I should probably take this and throw it in the garbage."
"Todd Manning don't you dare," Evangeline said in what could only be described as a squeal.
"You bring me that brown paper bag or so help me I will strangle you wit my IV cord."
"Ok ok. Since you asked me so nice. I've always been a sucker for your charm."
Todd tossed the bag into Evangeline's lap and sat in what he considered his chair.
Evangeline peered into the bag and was thrilled with what she saw.
"OOOO!!! Contraband," Evangeline cooed as she pulled out two double bacon cheeseburgers.
"Oh my god you even got me fries."
"Correction. I got us fries," Todd replied leaning over to grab one of the burgers.
Todd couldn't help but to smile as Evangeline's eyes rolled to the back of her head as she enjoyed the greasy sin in her grasp.
"This is better than sex," Evangeline said with a mouth full of burger.
"If you think a burger is better than sex, then clearly neither McBain nor Vega knew what they were doing," Todd said as he polished off the remainder of his burger.
"You think you could do a better job?" Evangeline asked with a raised eyebrow.
Todd nearly swallowed a French fry whole upon hearing Evangeline's very frank and daring question.
Before Todd was able to form a coherent thought, Dr. Glasser walked into the room.
"And what is this?" Dr. Glasser inquired in her best motherly tone.
With a cat that got the canary grin, Evangeline answered, "My reward for being a good little girl while being poked and prodded for the past three days."
"Yes well, I hate cut your reward short, but today is the day you start your physical therapy."
Evangeline tossed the remainder of her burger into the bag with a roll of her eyes.
"Let the torture begin," Evangeline said with a heavy sigh.
"I will take that as my cue to leave," Todd said rising from his seat.
"Will you be back later?" Evangeline asked as hope shone in her eyes.
"Of course. I gotta bring you dessert."
"Good. See that you do."
With that Todd gathered their trash and kissed Evangeline on the forehead.
Todd had one foot out of the door when he heard Evangeline call to him.
"Hey Manning! Try to have an answer when you come back."





Chapter End Notes:
"Do, Ray, Egon!!"-Ghostbusters