Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Time for some real talk. No more dancing, no more flirting...well a little more flirting.


Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


“Us? What about us? I thought we were ok. I thought we were good,” Todd said in a slightly panicked tone.
Evangeline reached over and embraced Todd’s face to both reassure him and calm her trembling nerves.
“No we were good. I mean we are good. I just… This is a lot harder than I thought it would be,” Evangeline said as she removed her hands from Todd’s face.
Todd caught hold of her hand before it was completely out of reach. He brought Evangeline’s palm to his lips leaving a gentle kiss that seared her skin.
As he slid Evangeline’s hand back to his cheek, Todd closed his eyes and whispered words of encouragement.
“Whatever you have to say, nothing changes”
“That’s the problem Todd. Something has already changed.”
Removing her hand from his cheek, but maintaining it in his grasp, Todd replied, “Is this change good or bad?”
“Both.”
“Why don’t you stop stalling counselor and tell me what’s on your mind?”
“I’m not stalling,” Evangeline said with a roll of her eyes.
“I think I have been in enough courtrooms to know when a lawyer is stalling,” Todd said with a smug grin.
Biting back a grin of her own, Evangeline replied “Just think about how that number could have been cut in half if you would have listened to any number of the lawyers you have employed.”
“Wouldn’t have mattered. None of them were as brilliant as you. They weren’t as beautiful either.”
Evangeline bowed her head slightly, hoping to hide the flush of embarrassment and passion his compliment brought to her cheeks.
“Now counselor if you’re done beating around the bush, I would love to hear about this good and bad change you’ve experienced.”
Deciding to handle this like a cross examination, Evangeline steeled her heart to ask a very dangerous question.
“What is the status of your relationship with Blair?”
Confusion marred Todd’s beautiful features.
“What does my relationship with Blair have to do with this change of yours?”
“Todd could you just answer the question please,” Evangeline said with a sigh.
Feeling slightly annoyed that Evangeline seemed to be gearing up for another round of ‘You’ll always love Blair; Todd released her hand and moved away from the bed.
“How many times do I have to tell you that what Blair and I had died when I saw her humping Dr. Strangelove. I mean sure for a while there I thought there was hope, but then she went and played hide the paintbrush with Barney Rubble at Llantano Mountain. The only reason I talk to Blair is my kids.”
On the brink of losing control, Evangeline forged ahead with her questions.
“What makes this time so different from all those other times you and Blair broke things off? How do I know that you guys won’t be planning your fifth trip down the aisle in the next six months?”
Growing frustrated with Evangeline’s questions regarding Blair, Todd began slamming the cheesecake and flatware back into the bag.
“What are you doing?” Evangeline asked with a fear tinged voice.
“Leaving,” Todd said without looking at Evangeline.
“Leaving? Why are you leaving?” It was now Evangeline’s turn to panic.
“Because I came here to spend time with you, not to be grilled about my so called undying love for Blair.” Todd was now staring daggers at Evangeline, his hurt evident in those baby blues.
“Todd I’m sorry. I just…,” Evangeline tried to get the words out as the steel around her heart began to falter.
Softening a little, Todd say back down on the bed.
“You’re starting to freak me out here. I mean first we’re talking about a good and bad change you’re going through, then you go into prosecutor mode and start questioning me about Blair. Just talk to me please,” Todd pleaded.
Smiling a little, Evangeline responded, “How did you pick up on the shift. Not even Layla notice when I do that.”
“How many times have I seen you in court? Your voice always gets a little deeper when you are cross examining people. Never thought I would be on the receiving end of it though.”
Bowing her head slightly, Evangeline struggled to keep the tears at bay.
“Todd I’m so sorry for speaking to you that way. I just needed to know if I stood a chance”
“Stood a chance? Evangeline what are you talking about?”
“I just… Oh to hell with words.”
Evangeline reached over and caressed the nape of Todd’s neck. She slowly pulled him forward until their lips met. Evangeline’s lips massaged Todd’s until a second later she felt him respond. Todd slid his hand into Evangeline’s hair gently massaging her scalp. Their tender kiss soon turned hungry. Evangeline devoured Todd’s lips like it was her first meal in days. Soon Todd greedily claimed Evangeline’s tongue as his own. The dizzying need for oxygen forced the two apart.
Evangeline and Todd could only stare at one another. Their breathless pants were the only sounds in the room.
Hoping to lighten the mood, Todd said “So that’s some change you’ve had.”
“Yeah it is. And all it took was a coma,” Evangeline said with a smile.
Placing his hand tenderly to Evangeline’s cheek, Todd said “So what does this mean? We’ve kissed before only to have you shove us back into the friend category. I’m not sure if I can be accommodating if that’s what you want.”
“Well,” Evangeline started as she leaned toward Todd, “Why don’t you unpack that cheesecake and we will talk about what this means.”
“Now it all makes sense,” Todd said with a grin. “You kissed me to get to the cheesecake.”
Evangeline couldn’t help but to laugh. As she closed the distance between the two, Evangeline said, “Why Mr. Manning you know me so well.”
“Yes counselor I do,” Todd said as their lips met for another toe curling kiss.
As their kiss ended, Todd laid his forehead on Evangeline’s and said, “This won’t be easy. There are people who absolutely hate my guts.”
“I don’t care. I want you. Dirty deeds and all.”
“You say that now, but…,” Todd started.
“But nothing. Don’t doubt us or me before we even get started. I’m not Blair,” Evangeline said hurt evident in her voice.
“I would never insult you like that. I just don’t want to rush into anything.”
“Todd I’m not asking you to marry me. Just to give whatever this is a shot.”
“Fair enough. So, how about that cheesecake?” Todd said with a smile.
“Finally!” Evangeline said throwing her head back.
Laughing, Todd unpacked the cheesecake yet again.
Todd raised a fork full of cheesecake and said, “To us.”
Evangeline raised her fork in return and said “To us.”






Chapter End Notes:
"This is Sparta!!"-300