Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


Chapter III

"I'm going to go grab a cup of coffee... can I get anyone anything?" Bonnie asked grateful for the excuse that provided her with a quick escape.

She'd come here to be Elena's support, but things still felt strained. There was a lot left unsaid between them, and though it had been pushed aside it would still needed to be dealt

with. Leaving after everyone said they were fine she took her time finding the coffee vending machine.

"We meet again little witch," Damon said making her look up from the coffee she'd been stirring.

"What are you doing here?" She asked icily?

"You know, blood to steal, people to compel," He said shrugging nonchalantly as she rolled her eyes. Of course Stefan wouldn't be strong enough to convince the staff nothing was

abnormal about Jeremy's miraculous recovery.

Realizing they weren't alone she looked past her antagonize to spot the woman from the vision. She was even more beautiful in person, and there was something strange about her.

Funny to call a vampire strange, but her aura was different , almost as if she was a different type of vampire. Not that she knew much about vampirism, or had a desire to get up close

and personal with the two she did know.

"Ooh I'm being rude, aren't I?" he asked smirking.

"Bonnie, Zoe, Zoe, Bonnie," he said delighting in her discomfort.

She knew he loved getting a rise out of her, but his personality was so abrasive it was almost impossible

to ignore him.

"Interesting," Zoe whispered making her frown slightly. She didn't like the way her dark eyes seemed to be studying her.

"Elena's with Stefan upstairs," She said reminding him once more which brother her friend had chosen.

Damon was a one way road to destruction and she didn't want him taking her friend along for the ride. She could see the attraction, he was gorgeous with those ice blue eyes and dark

hair; and when he was charming it was almost possible to forget all the wrong he'd done. The problem was if you played with fire eventually you'd get burned.

"So quick to defend the bestie, despite being on the outs," he said making her scowl.

"Just an observation," he said holding his hands up in an I surrender manor.

" What do you want Damon?" She asked knowing he always had a motive.

"A truce."

"I gave you one," She dead panned.

"A real one Bon Bon, where you don't look like you want to roast me like a marshmallow every time you see me" he said making her cringe.

"Did you forget the incident in the woods?" She asked as he frowned.

" I did apologize for that, and you know if I'd wanted you dead... " he said trailing off with a flippant shrug that made her blood boil.

"Do not tempt me Salvatore," She hissed letting him feel the heat that was hers to command.

"Fiery aren't you?" He asked winking as she mentally counted ten. Right now was not about her.

"As much as I'd love to stand her and trade insults with you, Elena needs me and Stefan needs you," She said stepping back and turning on her heel without a backward glance. You had

to show no fear to Damon or he'd exploit it. It took her a long time to figure that out.

"That was enlightening," Zoe said making him frown as they watched the girl make her way back to her friend.

"How so?"

"The sparks were flying; I'd say that was about so much more than you're misguided attempt on her life." She said smirking when he raised an eyebrow.

"Seriously Damon, she's just your type. Fiery little witch with all that passion and power running through her veins... don't you just want to ... drink her up?"

"Been there, done that, got the t-shirt."

"Me thinks the gentleman doth protests too much," She said as he scowled.

"If I wanted the little witch again I could get her." He huffed.

"I'm not so sure," she said smiling at his discomfort.

It took a lot to get under his skin and he didn't talk about the look alike with the same fervor he did his little witch. He might care about Elena, but he felt possessive of Bonnie. She

hadn't even met the doppelganger, but she all ready didn't like her. The situation had too much potential to be history repeating itself which left a bad taste in her mouth.

"Too bad we'll never know, I have my eyes on the prize... which reminds me it's time to go play white knight and show her just how weak and powerless my brother is." He didn't admit he

felt some guilt for the position her brother was in. He'd been honest with the boy and he'd tried not only to off himself but to become a vampire; So much for his good deed.

"The rescue worker has arrived, what do you want me to do?" He asked moving over to where Stefan, Elena and Bonnie sat together in the hall.

"Can you make them forget he was ever here?" Elena whispered making him frown slightly.

" Do we really think it's a good idea ? I mean the boy did try to off himself."

"He was just confused," She protested.

"Do you think he's suddenly not?" he asked shaking his head. If the boy ended up dead for good she'd never forgive herself.

"Elena he's right," Stefan said pulling her closer as he shot him a look that screamed back off.

He always wanted to sugarcoat everything.

"We want Jer to get better, and pretending like this never happened isn't going to do any good," Bonnie whispered.

"God, I know you're right, its just... he's been through so much," She said shaking her head as she took a shaky breath and fought back tears.

"What if we make it a threat, change everything and everyone to have him placed under suicide watch instead of an attempt, he'll get the help he needs without ... such severe

consequences." Zoe said making everyone turn to look at her.

"You can do that?" Elena asked sizing her up as she smirked.

"That and more, but I'll save the more for a later date and time." She said smirking as she gave her a look that didn't hide the fact that she was not impressed.

"I think that sounds like the best way to go," Stefan said setting them all in to motion as they went their separate ways.

"Who is she again?" Elena asked frowning as Stefan turned to her surprised at the venom in her voice.

"I told you, she's his best friend... like Lexie was to me." He whispered saddened by the thought of his fallen friend.

"I liked Lexie a lot better," She mumbled crossing her arms as he sighed. This was going to be a long visit.

"I think we made some leeway, Bonnie and I " Damon said making Zoe laugh out loud as they made their way out of the hospital.

"Even with all your cockiness you don't believe that."

"So she's a hard nut to crack, it'll make victory that much sweeter," He said smiling as she shook her

head before stopping in her tracks. She felt the bottom drop out of her stomach as the senses she'd had

in life flared.

"What's wrong."

"We're need to lay all our cards on the table to Bonnie."

"Thought, or opinion?"

"Thought."

"Damn," he swore aloud. He liked keeping his secrets to himself.