Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


Chapter 17

It was a few weeks after the New Year and Felicia was supposed to be happy, she thought to herself, as she watched the news one cold and rainy Wednesday night. She had a good man, good friends and a great career. Her life was great, wasn't it? Why wasn't she happy, she thought as she glanced at the TV. Why did Nicholas keep popping into her mind? For a few months, he stopped sending what she called stalking material, then a few weeks ago, he started again. He sent her simple little e-mails just to say hi and little things that she liked like lillies and chocolate truffles. He knew what she liked and he used it against her. Nicholas was driving her insane and she had no clue as to what to do about it.

Then, there was Marcus. He was gorgeous, sexy, sweet, nice...a very good catch. You know the old saying, where there's smoke, there's fire. Well there was definitely no one yelling fire around Felicia and Marcus. There was no fire, no spark. The sex was good, but she never yearned to just be near Marcus the way she yearned Nicholas. Her thoughts as of late had been clouded with images of that green eyed, dark blonde haired, sexy man. He constantly clogged her mind Felicia thought as she heard the doorbell ring. Felicia walked to the door wondering who in the hell was at her door so late. Felicia tied her white satin robe tightly around her waist as she looked through the peephole. God, I must have thought him up, Felicia thought as she sighed deeply and opened the door. Nicholas stood before her with a damp head and a devastating grin. Felicia tried to ignore it as she let him in. Nicholas closed the door behind him.

"What do you want Nick? It's late and I'm tired. I don't have the energy to fight with you tonight. And would you look at yourself? God, you are soaking wet. You didn't watch the news? Of course you didn't because if you did, you would have brought an umbrella today. Do you want to catch pneumonia? That would be another reason for me to be pissed at you...you get sick, you die and I wouldn't get the chance to curse you out the way you need to be cursed out. You standing there freezing and wet is pissing me off...because you're fuckin' up my hardwood floors, dripping water all over my them. You are going to pay for anything that's ruined," Felicia stated as she stared at him for a few minutes. She then turned and walked away. While she was gone, Nicholas shed his damp overcoat and placed it in Felicia's foyer closet. He looked around her eclectic apartment and smiled. Everything in it looked like Felicia...from the drapes, to the red sofa. Nicholas stood and waited for Felicia to return.

Felicia returned with two large, fluffy white towels in her hands. She stood in front of Nicholas and handed him one of the towels. She proceeded to rub his head dry with the remaining towel that she held. There was a comfortable silence as she helped him get dry. She noticed Nicholas staring at her as he slowly dried himself off. He then shed his suit jacket and his tie, then his shirt and stood in front of Felicia shirtless, in all his gorgeousness. Felicia gulped and tried not to look into Nicholas' eyes.

"Thank you," he whispered as he stared at her face.

"I'm only trying to save my floors," Felicia replied as he grinned.

"I understand," Nicholas whispered as he continued to stare at her. She was beautiful. Caramel skin, jet black hair, big brown eyes. He couldn't believe how much he loved this woman. Nicholas realized he loved her for awhile, but never told her. After Felicia finished rubbing his hair dry, Nicholas grabbed her slowly by the waist and looked intently down into her eyes. When Felicia looked up into Nicholas' sea blue eyes, she saw such emotion...his true feelings for her. Felicia wanted to leave but she couldn't tear her gaze away.

"Nicky, why are you here? What do you want?" Felicia asked.

"You. Just you," Nicholas whispered as he ran his finger down her left cheek. Felicia sighed as she turned her head away.

"Don't do this, Nicholas. You don't really want me...you've made that clear. I have someone who really wants me...don't make me do this to him," Felicia whispered. Nicholas gently turned her face back towards his and he framed her face gently with his hands.

"I do want you. I love you, Felicia. I'll admit, I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed when it comes to women, but I'm ready to commit to you, Felicia, just you. I'm so sorry for being so stupid and blind, baby. I've been miserable without you in my life. Everytime I saw you with that guy or heard his name, I wanted to shoot myself for letting you go. You deserve the world, Felicia and I want to be the man, the only man, that gives it to you. I want you, no friends with benefits shit, just you. I know that you still want me, too. You know we belong together, Fee. That guy is nice, but does he make you feel the way that I do? Does he know exactly what you like? Does he know how to please you? Do you think about him constantly? Do you feel like something's missing when he's gone? That's the way I feel about you," Nicholas whispered kissing her temple softly. Felicia wrapped her arms around him.

"Don't make me do this to him, Nicky," Felicia whispered.

"You've already been lying to him, Felicia. The whole time you've been with him, you've been thinking about me," Nicholas whispered as he looked down into her eyes.

"How did you know that?" Felicia asked.

"Because I've been going through the same thing. I've missed you so much. I love you, Felicia," he whispered smiling at her.

"I don't want to believe you, but I do," Felicia whispered.

"It's the truth, Fee. I just want to be with the sexiest, craziest woman on earth...you," Nicholas replied.

"What if you decide to change your mind tomorrow, Nick? I can't go through that again," Felicia stated as Nicholas raised her chin. Felicia stared into his eyes and wrapped her arms tight around his neck. Nicholas bent his head slowly, inching his lips down towards hers.

"I'm not going to change my mind, sweetheart. I'm sorry for hurting you, Felicia. I love you so much," Nicholas whispered finally claiming her lips. Felicia sighed as he took full possession of her lips.

"Why do you keep saying that?" Felicia asked between kisses. Nicholas looked at her intently.

"Because it's true. It's how I feel. Be with me, Felicia. I love you," he whispered before he kissed her senseless. Felicia kissed him back, realizing that she was gone as soon as she opened her door. She missed him, she wanted him, she loved him. After the kiss, Nicholas opened her robe and smiled at the Snoopy nightshirt that she was wearing. He kissed her softly on the neck as he pushed her robe off her shoulders.

"I don't want you to say that you love me if you don't mean it because I love you and I wouldn't recover if you really didn't love me," Felicia admitted as tears fell from her eyes. Felicia ran her hands over his sexy chest and Nicholas wiped her tears away.

"You don't have anything to worry about. I do love you," he replied with a smile as he caressed her face.

"Nicky, I don't want you to hurt me again," Felicia whispered.

"I have no intention of doing that, baby. I just want to be with you, love you. Do you forgive me for being a stupid ass?" Nicholas asked.
Felicia smiled.

"I do. God, I didn't realize how much I missed you until I saw you," Felicia replied.

"I missed you, too," Nicholas stated as he ran his finger down her cheek.

"You actually said the word commit without having a heart attack. I'm so proud of you," Felicia responded as Nicholas laughed.

"Seeing your woman with another man makes a man wise up and realize what the real deal is. I want all of you Felicia...I mean it. I love you, Felicia. Let me show you...let me really show you how much," Nicholas said as he picked her up, gave her a soft peck on the lips and carried her into her bedroom.
*********************************************************

"Tavin?" Shannon asked, her voice beeping in through Tavin's intercom.

"What's up Shannon?" Tavin asked.

"You're wanted in Mr. Shapiro's office ASAP," Shannon stated as her voice beeped through the intercom. Donald Shapiro was CFO and Tavin's boss.

"Right now?" Tavin asked diligently checking over tax statements. She was a little more snippy than usual because Cameron was out of town again and she missed her man. At least he was in the country this time, she thought. He had been in Chicago since Sunday.

"The Shap said right away Tavin," Shannon stated, referring to the nickname that she and Tavin gave Mr. Shapiro.

"He knows that I'm right in the middle of finishing the Palena Gourmet Food account. Did he state why he needed me?" Tavin asked as her fingers tapped furiously against her calculator keys.

"Nope and surprisingly, I didn't ask," Shannon replied.

Tavin sighed and stopped what she was doing. She pressed the intercom and spoke. "Thanks Shannon for deciding at this very moment not to be the nosiest assistant on earth."

"You're welcome," Shannon stated as Tavin sighed once more. Tavin stood and fixed her tan herringbone suit jacket, and her pale yellow silk blouse. She looked in her compact and walked out of her office, giving Shannon the evil eye. Shannon merely grinned as she watched her boss board the elevator to go to Mr. Shapiro's office.

When Tavin arrived Mr. Shapiro's massive office door, she knocked with her knuckles.

"Come in," a deep male voice stated through the thick wood of the door. Tavin opened the door and smiled as she walked into Mr. Shapiro's office. Tavin closed the door.

"You wanted to see me Mr. Shapiro?" Tavin asked. Donald Shapiro was a good looking man in his mid 60's. He smiled as he watched one of his favorite senior accountants walk into his office. Mr. Shapiro was a good boss who seemed genuinely interested in the well-being of his workers. Tavin liked working for him.

"Hello Tavin. Yes, I did want to see you. Do you remember the conversation we had a few weeks ago when I disclosed that we acquired a new account?" Mr. Shapiro asked.

"Yes sir I do," Tavin replied, noticing a dark headed man sitting in the chair directly opposite of Mr. Shapiro's desk.

"Tavin, I want you to meet Jared Dulet of Dulet Inc. He's the CFO over at DI. His father and I go way back. We went to business school together. Jared, this is the young lady that I've been telling you about," Mr. Shapiro replied.

Tavin pulled from her professionalism and trained her face to remain calm even if her insides were yelling what the hell. What in the hell was he doing here, Tavin asked herself as Jared stood up to his full height and focused his gorgeous face on hers.

"So, we meet again," Jared replied smiling, with his right hand outstretched to shake Tavin's. Tavin shook his hand and forced a small smile.

"Yes, we do," Tavin stated pulling her hand from his. Jared continued to smile at her. She didn't like it.

"Oh, so you two know each other?" Mr. Shapiro asked.

"Not really, but since she's going to be the accountant that's going to help me shrink some overages over at DI, we will get to know each other...very well," Jared answered with a grin.

Tavin gave Mr. Shapiro a small smile. "To answer your question fully, Mr. Shapiro, we met at Cameron's company's Christmas party. It seems that Mr. Dulet and Cameron attended high school together and they ran in very close circles. This is a rather strange coincidence, wouldn't you agree Mr. Dulet?"

"What can I say? It's a small, small world," Jared replied as he continued to smile at her.

"Very small indeed," Tavin stated as Jared continued to stare at her. Jared turned his head away and began to speak to Mr. Shapiro.

"My goodness, Donald, how do you guys get anything accomplished around here with all of these lovely young ladies working here," Jared inquired as he turned his gaze back to Tavin. Tavin tugged her suit jacket, uncomfortable at the way that Jared was staring at her. Mr. Shapiro laughed as he stood and rounded his desk as he approached Tavin and Jared.

"Well it's difficult, but we do manage to squeeze some work in. Tavin, why don't you take Jared to your office and discuss the particulars. If you two would excuse me, I have another meeting in five minutes. Don't worry Jared, you're in good hands. Tavin is the best senior accountant that I have," Mr. Shapiro stated as he opened his office door, clasping Jared on the shoulder. Tavin walked through the door and Jared and Mr. Shapiro followed.

"I'm sure I'm in good hands. Donald, always a pleasure," Jared replied, shaking the man's hand with a 1000 watt grin on his face.

"Likewise, young man. Tell your father I said hello. Tavin, work your usual magic. Make me proud," Mr. Shapiro replied walking down the hall. Tavin let out a small sigh as she walked to the elevator. As she pushed the down button, her mind began to wander. How in the hell did this happen? Out of all the accounting firms in New York, why in the world did he come here? How was she going to break it to Cameron that she was working with someone that he loathed? Tavin pulled her jacket once more, suddenly self conscious of the way her slacks fit her body.

Jared, on the other hand, was grinning like the cat who ate the canary as he took in the sight of Tavin Wilson, corporate woman. She was even hotter at work, he thought as he watched her behind as she walked into the elevator. Jared followed her.

After a small silence, Tavin decided to speak. She was no idiot. Ain't no way in the world that this is a coincidence, Tavin thought. Before she could get a word out, Jared spoke.

"You look absolutely beautiful today, Tavin. I shouldn't be too surprised. Everytime I've seen you, you've looked absolutely gorgeous," Jared replied, taking in Tavin's features with a slow once over.

"Thank you," Tavin stated in a low, curt voice.

"Tavin, this is such a pleasurable surprise. Who would have thought that you worked for Michaelson, Leeman and Randolph?" he replied in an honest tone of voice with honest eyes, expertly hiding the lie that effortlessly rolled off his tongue.

Tavin gave a small, low laugh. "I find that extremely hard to believe, Mr. Dulet." Tavin looked straight ahead and she could feel his eyes all over her. Tavin hated when men stared at her like that. Tavin knew she would have to set a few things straight.

"Mr. Dulet? I thought we were on a first name basis, Tavin. It's Jared, remember?" Jared bit his bottom lip as his eyes glazed over Tavin's body once more. What I wouldn't give to get some of that, Jared thought to himself as he licked his bottom lip. In time, he thought. All in due time.

"Seeing that we have a professional relationship, I will address you as I do all my clients...formally," Tavin stated.

The elevator stopped on her floor and Tavin stepped out, walking quickly. Jared walked behind her, rather than on side of her, because he loved the back view of her hips and the way that they swayed as she walked. Tavin stopped at a desk with a pretty woman with dark blond hair who grinned at him. Jared grinned back.

"Shannon Myers, this is Jared Dulet, CFO of Dulet, Inc. Mr. Dulet, this is my assistant Shannon. We'll be working on his account. Add him to the client roster. Follow me, Mr. Dulet," Tavin stated as Shannon smiled widely at Jared.

"Nice to meet you, Mr. Dulet," Shannon stated.

Jared winked as he followed Tavin into her office. "Very nice to meet you, Shannon. See you later," he replied as he followed Tavin into her office. Tavin sat behind desk and looked at her appointment calendar. Jared sat in a chair opposite her and stared at her. She looked delicious, he thought. She probably tasted delicious too, he thought.

Tavin sighed. "If you could have your assistant fax me everything that you have, we could begin on Thursday. Is that good for you?"

Jared smiling, thinking to himself, it's good for me...I would love to be good to you, baby...I would be extremely good, but aloud he stated, "That's fine. Wow, Tavin you really do take your job seriously. We can at least be casual. Come on , Tavin, I thought we were friends. You can cut the tension in here with a knife."

"If there is tension, you know the reason for it...and just to correct you, we are not friends. I barely know you. How are we friends?" Tavin asked.

Jared grinned. "We danced like we were friends. We were very friendly on the dance floor New Years Eve."

"That was a party and I didn't know who you were. Let's get off this subject and proceed with the matter at hand...," Tavin said and was interrupted by Jared.

"Does any of this tension have to do with what Caldwell said? That I'm trying to move in on you? Look, you are a very attractive woman, but I assure you that this is strictly business...not personal," Jared state as the half-lie easily slid off of his tongue.

Tavin looked over at him and gave him a look that always intimidated most men and it seemed to be working on Jared Dulet. His smile was gone as Tavin intertwined her fingers into a steeple and sat them on her desk with a small grin.

"Mr. Dulet, let me explain a few things, just to make sure we are clear. I don't believe that this was an incident of circumstance. I smell set-up and since there is no way I can prove that it is or do anything to change the situation, let me say that I am good at what I do and I will do an excellent job with your account," Tavin stated.

Jared thought to himself, "I'm sure you are good...very good...you sure do look good, baby." He kept a straight face as thoughts of her naked ran through his head.

"This is and will be a strictly professional relationship. I'm not your friend or your pal. I am your accountant, nothing more, nothing less. My personal life is off limits and I definitely will not be asking you anything about yours. I don't mix business with pleasure, so if you have any ideas that are floating in that direction, please forget about them. It ain't gonna happen. I want you to know that I am very intelligent, very astute and I know all about sexual harassment, Mr. Dulet, so don't even think about it. I am here to work on your account and nothing more. Are we clear?" Tavin asked.

Jared stroked his chin and smiled at her. I see why Caldwell has a fit every time I'm near his woman, he thought. Tavin was no-nonsense, spirited and passionate. Jared found that very sexy and was so turned on, he had to cross his legs to hide how much. If she thought her little spiel was going to keep him away from her, she couldn't have been more wrong.

"Crystal clear. You know Tavin, there was no need for you to explain your position to me. It is quite evident. I know the reason that we are in this predicament. I needed a good accountant and from what Donald says, I have one. Nothing more, nothing less," Jared replied as he looked into her eyes.

Yes, he was gorgeous as hell and very charming, Tavin thought as she smiled at him. That combination was always trouble, she thought.

"I'm glad to see we are on the same page. I will begin by explaining a few of the services that I will be providing for your company," Tavin stated in her all business tone as she opened a portfolio. Jared chuckled lowly to himself because what he wanted from her was definitely service, but not financial. Tavin was unaware of the way he licked his lips at her as she looked in the portfolio.

Damn, she was sexy, he thought as his eyes concentrated on her full, beautiful lips as she spoke. Oh yeah...let the games begin, he thought.