Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
This chapter has strong language and speaks of child abuse.


Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


Chapter 28

Tavin was speechless for a moment. She couldn’t believe what she saw. She hadn’t seen Delia in 10 years and right in front of her was her mother, Delia Bromwell. This can’t be, Tavin thought as her head began to spin and she felt a little dizzy. Cameron saw that she was falling to the side and grabbed her.

“Baby, are you okay?” he asked as she leaned against him.

“Yeah, I just need a minute,” Tavin replied as she stared at her mother.

Cameron just watched and didn’t say anything. He saw the resemblance between the three women and he had to admit, Tavin’s mother was indeed a beautiful woman. She looked so young. Tavin was darker than Janae and her mother, and Janae was darker than her mother and a little lighter than Tavin. He looked over at Tavin and saw the tension etched across her pretty features. This was not going to be good.

“Hey baby,” Delia replied, her light caramel skin glowing. Tavin just stared at this woman who gave birth to her, but was never the mother that she needed. She was still beautiful, Tavin thought as she ignored her endearment.

“I told you not to ever call me that again. Doodles, you’re early,” Tavin replied as she hugged her sister.

“Yeah, well, I couldn’t stay in that house one more minute. Is it okay, Tavy? Cameron?” Janae asked with a look on her face that Tavin had never seen before.

“Of course it is, kid. Come in, ladies,” Cameron replied as stood side by side with Tavin. His hand was on her elbow and Tavin put her left hand in his right. He intertwined their hands as Janae and Delia walked into the penthouse, Janae pulling her suitcase. He looked down into her eyes and let her know he wasn’t going anywhere. Tavin took in a deep breath and Janae turned around.

“Oh, let me get those, Janae,” Cameron replied as he walked over and grabbed Janae’s bags.

“Thanks Cameron,” Janae replied as Delia walked over to Cameron and smiled into his face.

“Are you going to introduce us, Tavy?” Delia asked.

“Hell no,” Tavin replied as she crossed her arms and narrowed her eyes at Delia.

“I’m Cameron Caldwell, Tavin’s fiancee’,” Cameron stated as he held his hand out. Delia shook it and smiled. Tavin could actually see the dollar signs in Delia’s eyes as she looked around the penthouse. Tavin felt like she was going to be sick.

“Nice to meet you, Cameron. Tavin, you have a very handsome fiancé and this house is absolutely incredible, oh, and so is that ring, darling. I can see it from here. Let me get a closer look,” Delia replied smiling as she walked over to Tavin. Tavin snatched her hand away.

“I don’t think so. What are you doing here?” Tavin asked. Cameron sensed the tension and he didn’t want Janae to see it. Plus, he needed reinforcements because this was not going to be pretty.

“Lovely, I’m going to bring Janae upstairs to her room. Okay?” Cameron asked as he looked into her eyes. They said, “Baby, I’m not leaving you. I’m here.”

Tavin nodded and said,”Okay.”

“Come on Janae. My goodness, girl, what do you have in these bags? Rocks?” Cameron asked as he went upstairs with Janae.

“Everything I need for the summer and then some,” Janae replied as Cameron carried her bags upstairs. Janae was talking nonstop, but Cameron wasn’t listening. He nodded and smiled, but he was preoccupied.

“Oh, can I use this computer, Cam?” Janae asked.

“Sure, Janae. I have to make a call. Make yourself at home, kid,” Cameron replied as he left out and dialed Donovan’s house as he walked to another bedroom.

“Hey, D, I need to speak to Shelley. Thanks. Hey, Shelley, it’s Cameron,” he said as he told her what was going on.

“I’m on my way. I’ll just come get Janae and she can spend the night with me, alright?” Nichelle stated.

“Thank you so much, Shell. You should see Tav, I mean, my baby is just…she looks lost, devoid of emotion. I don’t like the way she looks, Shell,” Cameron said his mind on Tavin.

“Damn it. Damn that bitch! Tavin was doing so well and now she shows her ass up. What the fuck does she want? Excuse my French, Cam,” Nichelle said in an angry tone of voice.

“You’re excused,” Cameron replied as he looked downstairs. Tavin was just staring into space and not looking at her mother at all.

“Whatever you do, don’t leave Tavin with Delia for too long. That woman is a piece of work, very charming, very manipulative and just …oooh…and Tavin has so much pent up rage, she may hurt Delia. I don’t want my girl doing time because of that woman,” Nichelle said.

“Okay. Thanks again, Shelley,” Cameron said.

“Don’t thank me. That’s my sister, you know, that. Don’t be fooled by Delia’s beauty and charm, okay? You know, not all women that give birth are mothers and Delia is a prime example of that. Give me ten minutes and Cam?” Nichelle inquired.

“Yes, Shelley?” Cameron asked, peaking downstairs again.

“Stay with Tavin. Do not leave her. See you in a few,” Nichelle replied as she hung up the phone and walked downstairs quickly.

“Well, you’ve done well for yourself, baby. I’m very proud of you,” Delia replied. Tavin looked from the opposite wall and gave Delia a look that was cold as ice.

“I really don’t know why you are talking to me, because I don’t care if you’re proud of me or not. I still don’t understand why you are even here. I told you 10 years ago that I never wanted to see you again and my word is bond,” Tavin stated. Cameron came back downstairs and sat next to Tavin on the sofa. He held her hand in his and Delia looked at them.

“So, Cameron, Janae tells me that you are an investment banker turned restaraunteur,” Delia said as Tavin shook her head no.

“Oh no maam. No small talk here. What do you want? If it doesn’t have anything to do with that sweet kid up there, then you need to go…now,” Tavin stated, a serious look crossing her features.

“That’s precisely who it has to do with. Cameron, if you don’t mind, I’d like to talk to my daughter alone,” Delia replied with a small smile.

Cameron looked at Tavin and she squeezed his hand harder. “This is his house, too and he’s not going anywhere, so whatever you have to say, you can say in front of Cam. He knows everything…everything, so there’s no need for the drama, Delia.”

Delia looked at her daughter and her fiancee’ and realized that he wasn’t leaving. He sat there and waited as Tavin did to hear what she had to say.

Delia cleared her throat, and held both of her hands together. “Your sister and I are not getting along very well, Tavin,” Delia replied running her hand through her long, dark brown hair. Tavin sighed.

“I could only imagine why?” Tavin inquired.

“All we do is argue. She will not listen to reason and I just don’t know what to do,” Delia said.

“Are her grades dropping? Is she getting into trouble at school?” Tavin asked, not wanting to think about what could be going on. The hairs on the back of Tavin’s neck began to stand up. She gripped Cameron’s hand and her face became even more void of emotion.

“No, nothing like that. Well, your sister has been talking on the phone with a lot of boys. I know the boys, I mean, she grew up with all of them. She says that she’s not doing anything, but look at her. She’s got my body, Tavin at 15 and she’s never home. She’s makes it seem as if she’s so caught up with her dancing, running and cheerleading, but I think her little fast behind is using her activities as an excuse to mess around with boys,” Delia stated as she began to wring her hands. Tavin wasn’t buying it. Something else was going on, she knew it.

“What’s really going on, Delia?” Tavin asked as she narrowed her eyes at her mother. Cameron just sat back and said nothing, but he had a very bad feeling about this.

“Yeah, mommy, why don’t you tell her what’s really going on?” Janae asked as she came downstairs, tears rolling down her face. Tavin’s eyes held her sister’s and she knew. Tavin held her sister’s gaze and just stared at her.

“You get your little smart ass back upstairs and let me tell your sister what the problem is before I pop the shit out of you,” Delia replied as she stood to walk to Janae. Tavin stood in front of her.

“You put a finger on her and I’ll break it. Tell me what’s going on Doodles,” Tavin replied as she stood in front of Delia, gave her a look, then turned to Janae.

Janae’s tears began to flow. “I have been talking on the phone with a lot of boys, Tavy but I have not had sex with them, despite what she thinks. That’s what she thought. That’s what daddy thought, too. They caught me kissing Marlon Dileno after he gave me a ride home from a track meet. It was a kiss, nothing more, you believe me right, Tavy?”

Tavin turned around and did not cry, although in the inside she was. She smiled at her sister. “Of course I do, baby sis. Just tell me the rest, okay?”

“Janae, I don’t want to hear this foolishness again because it ain’t nothin’ but…,”Delia stated emphatically as Tavin turned around and pointed a finger at her.

“You just shut the hell up! Let her talk. She’s never lied to me and I know she’s not going to start now. Just be quiet and let her finish. This is my damn house! Let her talk! I’m sorry, Doodles, you can finish,” Tavin replied as she walked up to her sister and held both of her hands. She gave her a small smile and an encouraging nod and Janae continued.

“Well, okay, um, I don’t know where to start,” Janae said looking around biting her bottom lip.

“Sweetie, look at me. Nothing is going to happen to you here. Just tell me, okay?” Tavin asked as Janae swallowed hard then began to speak again.

“After Daddy caught me kissing Marlon Dinello, he would ask me things…sexual things. I told him the truth, that I had never had sex…any kind of sex, but he didn’t believe me. One day, he gave me a hug and his hands grabbed my behind and I felt his…so I stepped back, thinking that maybe I was crazy. A few more weeks passed by and I would catch daddy looking at me with the weirdest expression on his face, kind of creepy.

Well, we had half of days for exams and I was home early. Mommy was gone and Daddy was there. He asked me about boys and sex again and I walked away. He grabbed me by arms and said, “Well, baby, if you want to learn about sex, I’ll teach you” and he began to touch me and he made me touch him. I told him I didn’t want to do that, that it was wrong and he told me it was perfectly natural and if I didn’t tell anyone, it wouldn’t be wrong. I tried to get away, but he was so strong, Tavy. He told me that if I told, mommy would hate me and would send me away. He put his fingers inside of me and made me touch him. I was so scared. He tried to make me put his thing in my mouth and that’s when Mommy came home. I kicked him and I ran to her and I told her what he did. He said that I was crazy and I was just a little fast ass girl who was making up things. You know what she did? She agreed with him and told me that there was no way that a man would do that to his own flesh and blood child. This happened about a month ago.

The final time he came into my room, I kicked him in the you know what with both legs and ran out of the house. I called Danielle, you know my best friend Danielle, and promised her to secrecy. I stayed at her house and for the last week, I locked myself in my room. I couldn’t take it, Tavy. Why would he hurt me? I’m his daughter. He never really spent much time with me, but he’s my daddy. Why would he do that to me?” Janae cried as she fell into Tavin’s arms. Streams of tears were running from Tavin's eyes as she held her sister in her arms.

“Did he…?” Tavin asked.

“No, I got out of there as quick as I could. But his hands were all over me and in me, Tavy. Why would he do that?” Janae asked. Cameron just stared at Tavin’s mother, a look of pure disgust on his face. Why would a woman not protect her child? He felt bad for Janae, but at least she didn’t go through what Tavin went through. Tavin, he thought as he looked over at her, hugging her sister and comforting her. Damn, my baby, going through this all over again, he thought as he looked at Tavin. She had been through enough. He was so angry that he pressed his hands into fists and he felt so helpless.

“It’s okay, sweetie, it’s okay,” Tavin said.

“See, I told you. Nonsense, pure nonsense. A man would not do that to his own daughter…,” Delia stated still in denial.

“No, but he’d definitely do it to his step daughter! That’s acceptable, right? It was okay for it to happen to me, right? I was just his for the taking, right!” Tavin yelled as the doorbell rang. Janae pulled away from Tavin and stared at her, then hugged her and began crying again. Cameron jumped up and answered the door. Donovan and Nichelle were there and Cameron pulled Donovan outside as Nichelle walked to Tavin. She hugged Tavin and Janae, not knowing what was going on, but was sure that Delia had something to do with it.

“Oh, so Ms. High and Mighty comes in, sticking her nose where it doesn’t belong again,” Delia stated in a nasty tone toward Nichelle. Nichelle gave her an evil look and turned back to Tavin.

“You alright, Tav?” Nichelle asked.

“No, not really. How did you know?” Tavin asked.

“Cameron. He called me. That man loves you girl,” Nichelle replied as she wiped tears off of Tavin and Janae’s face.

“I know he does,” Tavin replied.

“Tav, Janae doesn’t need to be here right now. Why don’t you let her stay with me for the night, huh? It seems that whatever is going on with you and Delia, you need to hash it out and she doesn’t need to witness that. Does that sound good, Doodles?” Nichelle asked as Janae shook her head. Janae let go of her sister and mouthed, “I’m sorry”.

“No, baby, you have nothing to be sorry for. Alright?” Tavin asked as she turned around and stared at Delia with eyes that could have killed.

“You bitch! How could you let her go through this! How! I want to kill you right now, you know that?” Tavin yelled at Delia as she began to walk toward her. Nichelle stepped in her path.

“Hey, lady with your godchild here. Don’t do it. She’s not worth it,” Nichelle replied.

“Oh, you and your mama always did think that you were better than me. Turned my child against me and everything. I can’t stand your little uppity ass! I never did,” Delia said evily to Nichelle as Donovan and Cameron walked back in.

“No, you turned your daughter against you all by yourself. Not me. You have no idea what you did to this wonderful woman, do you? Of course you don’t and you don’t give a shit. I don’t understand you,” Nichelle said with disgust in her voice. Janae walked down the stairs with her overnight bag and stood next to Tavin, who held her hand.

“No you wouldn’t. You always had money, never had to work hard a day in your life. I did. I was finally comfortable and had the life I wanted until these stupid little indiscretions of my husbands began to come about. He is a good provider and I never have to worry if my bills are paid or if I’m going to have anything to eat,” Delia stated, defending Lawrence Bromwell as always.

“No, you just have to worry if he’s going to molest your child or anyone else’s for that matter, that’s all,” Nichelle said.

Delia narrowed her eyes at Nichelle, hate blazing.” It’s her fault, hell both of them walked around him in those little shorts and tiny shirts. It’s no wonder he couldn’t keep his hands to himself. He’s a man! Maybe if they didn’t flaunt their little fast asses in front of my husband, maybe he wouldn’t have did what he did! He’s just a man!” Delia screamed, not realizing that Cameron and Donovan were standing near the door until she looked over at them. She held her head high as her hand went to her throat. Janae couldn’t believe what she was hearing. For Tavin, this was the second time she’d heard it. She just shook her head at her mother. It was hard to call a woman who obviously didn’t deserve the title that name.

Nichelle shook her head at Delia. “I hope those idiotic delusions help you sleep at night. I feel sorry for you and I will pray for you.”

“Don’t do me any favors, you saddity little bitch,” Delia replied as Nichelle ignored her.

“Hey Doodles, you ready? She can come back in the morning, Tavin, okay?” Nichelle asked as Tavin hugged her.

“I love you so much,” Tavin stated as Nichelle hugged her back and kissed her friend on the cheek.

“I love you too,girl,” Nichelle said. Their embrace broke as Janae hugged Tavin tight.

“I didn’t know. I’m sorry Tavy. All this time, that’s why you would never come home. I’m sorry, Tavy. So sorry,” Janae whispered as she cried. Tavin dried her tears and smiled at her.

“Like I said before, little girl, you have nothing to be sorry about. Take care of my sister, Shelley,” Tavin replied as she hugged her once more.

“She’s my little sister, too. Come on, Doodles, let’s go,” Nichelle replied as she held Janae’s hand. She barely glanced at her mother as she walked out of the door with Donovan and Nichelle. Delia and Tavin just stood, staring at each other. Cameron walked up to Tavin and she fell into his arms. He comforted her, rubbing her back and kissing her hair, her forehead. Delia just stood there and didn’t say a word.

Tavin turned to look at Delia, but she didn’t leave Cameron. It felt so good to have someone who loved her with her at this moment. She didn’t want him to let go.

“Is there a reason why you are still here, Delia? Of course there is. It’s always about Delia. What the hell do you want!! You’ve caused enough damage, don’t you think! What!!” Tavin screamed. Cameron just held her and didn’t say anything. Delia smoothed her hair and put on her lady like demeanor once more. She was so fake, Tavin thought as she looked at her.

“Like I was saying before, Janae and I are not the best of friends. It felt so horrible in that house with her and Lawrence, so I’ve made a decision,” Delia stated as Tavin and Cameron looked at her.

“What, Delia!” Tavn asked angrily.

“I’m 47 years old and I have every comfort any woman could imagine…a big, beautiful home, a Lexus and a Mercedes, all my bills are paid…,”

“Whoopty doo for you. Get to the point…now,” Tavin stated.

“I can’t leave my husband. I am very comfortable, baby. I can’t start over. Here,” Delia replied as she handed over a large manila envelope.

Tavin jerked it from her hands and opened it. “What is this?”

“Janae’s birth certificate, her school transcripts, her shot record, allergies, anything she may need. I can’t bring her back home, Tavin and I don’t know where my sister is, so you are all that’s left. I think it would be best if Janae lived with you. Of course, I’ll wire money into her checking account once a month and check on her from time to time. I think that with everything that is going on, Janae being here would be the best solution, especially for Janae,” Delia stated as Tavin stared at the papers, then at Cameron. Then, she began to laugh. Tavin just laughed for a minute then she stood as she composed herself.

“Who the hell are you trying to fool? You come here to drop off your abused child and tell me that it’s in her best interest? It’s always about you, Delia. You can’t bear to lose your lifestyle, huh? I hope that you don’t because you won’t be welcome here. Don’t send any money. Janae doesn’t need your guilt payments. She has me and I love her, more than you do. I’m going to make sure that she reaches her full potential and fulfills all her dreams. I definitely don’t want her back in that house, so I’ll take her, my sister, my blood. Don’t you ever contact us again and I mean it. I guess he’s worth losing your children over. I never thought I would loathe someone as much as I loathe you, Delia. I hope that God has mercy on your soul. Now get out and don’t contact us ever again,” Tavin replied as Cameron just looked at her. Delia tried to speak, but Cameron gave her a look.

“You heard what she said. Please leave. Now,” Cameron replied as Delia began to walk to the door. Her hand was on the knob.

“One day you may understand why I did everything that I did. I know this is the best thing for Janae. I do love you and your sister. Tell her that for me,” Delia stated as Tavin just looked angrily at her.

“GET OUT!!!” Tavin yelled as Delia slid out of the door. Tavin fell to the floor and cried. Tavin’s emotions were on overload. Cameron slid down with her. Tavin looked up at him.

“I didn’t even ask you if this was…,” Tavin whispered as Cameron ran his thumbs across her cheeks.

“Janae’s your sister. You’re here, so she’s here. End of story, alright?” Cameron responded as Tavin shook her head.

“Cameron, I’m so sorry. I didn’t mean to dump all of this on you. Janae won’t be any trouble, I’ll make sure of that. I won’t…,” Tavin began but Cameron put his finger on her lips.

“Lovely, stop apologizing, please? We’re family, baby. We’ll deal with this okay. One day at a time. But right now, Janae needs you, she needs us, okay?” Cameron asked as she nodded. Tavin began to stare at the wall, almost catatonic. Cameron hated to see her like this, he thought. She was in shock and awe of her mother’s selfishness.

“I can’t believe she let him get to that sweet little girl. How could she let him get to her, Cameron? How could she leave her child? How could she choose that horrible bastard over Janae, over me? How could she, how could she, how could she, how could she,” Tavin repeated as she just stared into space.

Cameron picked her up and kissed her forehead. Damn, how much more did she have to go through, he thought. He brought her to their room.

“I think you need to take a nap, baby. I’m going to make you some chamomile tea, okay. I’ll be right back,” Cameron said as he kissed her on the cheek. Tavin just nodded in agreement and sat on the bed, staring at the wall. When the tea was done, Cameron brought it into their bedroom and placed it on the nightstand.

“Come on sweetheart, let’s get you comfortable, okay? Stand up,” he replied. Tavin stood and just stared into space. Cameron removed one of her tank top nightgowns from her drawer.

Cameron pulled her shorts off. “Step out, baby.” Tavin did as he asked and still just looked ahead, not saying anything.

“Lift up your arms,” Cameron whispered as she did as he asked, still not speaking. He took off her camisole.

“Lift up once more, baby,” he replied as he pulled a mint yellow tank nightgown over her head. Tavin raised her arms again as Cameron smoothed the nightgown down. Cameron pulled the covers back and handed her the warm mug of tea.

“Get in baby and drink this. I’ll be back,” he replied as Tavin took tea and sipped it.

“Yeah, thanks Shelley. I don’t know if she’s okay. She hasn’t been talking, it’s like she’s in shock. How’s Janae? Good. That kid needs a good rest after everything she’s been through. I’ll call Fee if anything else happens, too. Okay. Thanks again, Shelley,” Cameron replied as he hung up the phone.

After she took a few good sips, she got under the covers and snuggled into it. Cameron pulled on a wifebeater and laid next to her. Tavin pulled up into his chest and laid there, not saying anything.

“Close your eyes, sweetheart. I’m here and I love you. We’re going to get through this together, okay? Go to sleep, baby, go to sleep,” Cameron whispered as Tavin snuggled deeper into his chest. He held her close as Tavin asked a few questions before closing her eyes.

“How could she do that? How can she choose that bastard over her own children? What mother does that? Why is it so easy for her to let us go? Why doesn’t she love us? Why doesn’t she love me?” Tavin asked as her eyes drifted close. Cameron held her tighter and sighed, as his eyes closed in slumber.