Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
I'm not too much of a JT fan, but I liked the lyrics to this song that's included in this chapter. 


Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


Chapter 29

Tavin woke up later that afternoon and realized Cameron wasn’t next to her. She began to think about the events that occurred earlier and she cleared her mind. Tavin could not believe that at 11:30am, her mother gave her sister to her. She had to be strong, she had to get organized, and she had to get things in place for her sister. How was she going to juggle the responsibility her career, taking care of a 15 year old girl and being in a relationship with Cameron? Cameron...damn. She loved him and she knew he loved her, but she couldn’t pull him into this.

Tavin stood up slowly and walked to her panty drawer. She grabbed a pair of pink and green polka dot bikinis and her hot pink terry blouson tubetop short jumpsuit and walked to the bathroom. Tavin took a long hot shower and thought about what Janae being with her would mean for her relationship with Cameron. After her shower, Tavin rubbed Tropical Colada scented lotion over her body and pulled on her jumpsuit. She knew Cameron loved that scent on her. It drove him crazy. She made herself another cup of chamomille tea, with lots of honey. As she sipped her tea, she thought about everything that was going on. She put her tea down on the kitchen counter and walked outside to the balcony and looked at the city. Lord, please, help me. How am I going to do this? Please guide me, she prayed as she felt two strong arms come around her waist. She instantly leaned back.

“Hey,” she whispered.

“Hey, sweetheart. Umm, you smell good enough to eat. How long have you been up?” Cameron asked looking her over. He usually loved her in that loungewear, because all he had to do is tug and it came down, but he knew right now wasn’t time for that. She still looked beautiful, he thought. More relaxed, worried, but still beautiful.

Cameron woke up and needed to think. He also needed to talk to someone, so he called his mother who was at Josslyn’s Manhattan loft and talked to her and his sister. He told his mother and Josslyn the entire situation. They helped him think about things from Janae’s point of view. She had friends and a life in Louisiana and she doesn’t even know that her mother gave her away. His family always stuck together, no matter what and he and Tavin were family. Cameron knew it wouldn’t be easy and some arrangements and adjustments would have to be made, but Janae was a sweet kid, a good kid. He couldn’t turn his back on her, and he especially could not let Tavin down. He loved that girl and she loved her sister, so he would deal. It was just that simple.

“For awhile. I just needed to clear my head. I’m sorry for spazzing out before, you know. I…well, nothing should shock me concerning Delia. I don’t know how I let her get to me,” Tavin responded holding her head up.

“Because you’re human, Tavin. It’s the most natural thing in the world to be hurt by the one person who’s main role is to protect you and they don’t. I can only imagine what that feels like,” Cameron whispered as he kissed the top of her head. There were a few minutes of silence, then Cameron spoke.

“So, what are you thinking about? And don’t tell me nothing because I can tell that you are,” Cameron whispered in her ear as he dropped a kiss beneath her ear, rubbing his nose softly along the skin behind her ear and inhaling the sweet smell.

“All the things I have to do. I have to file for legal guardianship of Janae, bring her to Dr. Marine or see if she can refer us to a child psychologist, find her a doctor, look into schools for the fall, dance schools. I just have so much to do,” Tavin replied as she pulled away from him and walked back into the living room. She sat on the sofa with her feet curled under her. Cameron closed the French doors that led to the balcony and walked to the sofa, taking a seat next to her.

“Well, baby, everything doesn’t have to be done in one day. Pace yourself. Take a week or two off to get Janae settled. It’s going to be fine, we’re going to be fine,” Cameron replied as he held her hand.

“How do you know that?! I don’t know how to be a parent! Neither do you! A loving sister, yes, parent…hell no!” Tavin exclaimed as Cameron smiled at her.

“You can’t be her mother, and I can’t be her father, we both know that, but we can be the next best thing. A guardian, a sister, a friend. That’s what Janae needs right now, Tavin. Someone to talk to, someone who gives a damn. We can be that for her,” Cameron replied. Tavin pulled her hand away and pushed away from him. Cameron felt it before he saw it…her pushing him away. He wasn’t going to let that happen, not if he had anything to do with it.

“Tavin, it’s going to be fine. Calm down. Relax,” Cameron replied.

“Cameron, we’re talking about a teenager here,” Tavin stated.

“I know that. Lovely, chill, please,” Cameron replied, running his hand through his short hair.

“I will not chill, damn it. I don’t know if I can do this, and I don’t want to ask you to do it either. Cameron, I know that you asked me to move in here, and you were okay with Janae being here for a few months, but indefinitely? I can’t ask you to deal with my problems,” Tavin stated.

“Tav, whatever happens to you happens to me. Whatever you deal with, I deal with. I’m here for you, Tavin. You’re not alone anymore, so stop approaching this as if you are,” Cameron said as Tavin just shook her head. The boy is crazy, she thought.

“Cameron, I appreciate that and I love you for it, but Janae’s my responsibility and I’ve come to a decision,” Tavin replied as she sat straight up and wrung her hands. Then, she stood up and walked in front of the fireplace.

Cameron just sat on the sofa and looked at her. What the hell was going on? “You have?”

“Yes. My sister is my responsibility, only mine, so I’m going to go back to my apartment with Janae. I mean, we can still see each other and we can still be engaged. It’ll just be a very long engagement. She’s 15, so when she turns 18, we can go along with our wedding plans then. It’s just that, my shit is extra, real extra and I know you didn’t sign on for all this. I’ll probably move back to my apartment in a few weeks or so,” Tavin replied as Cameron stared at her. He didn’t say anything for a few minutes. Then, he began to speak.

“First of all, we’re in a relationship, not individually, but jointly, together. You can’t just tell me this is how it’s going to be and that’s that. You just automatically assumed that I wouldn’t want to deal with this with you, and that’s not cool, Tav,” Cameron replied.

“Cameron, you didn’t ask for any of this, hell neither did I. We are talking about a 15 year old girl who has just went through hell, who’s hormones are raging, who says whatever she thinks, without thinking most of the time, I might add,” Tavin said.

“So, she’s kind of like you, except for the age part and she’s generally nice. I’m already used to that other stuff, so we’re good. You want to order some Chinese, because I’m starving,” Cameron said with a small grin.

“This is not the time for a laugh, Cameron. This is serious. My baby sister is here, to stay,” Tavin said with a sigh.

“And so are you, so again, what’s your point? I get it, Tavin. I’m not stupid. It’s not going to be easy. I don’t want to wait three years to marry you, baby, not because of something like this. We have 3 extra rooms, Tav. Janae can take the one next to the office. It has the best view of the park and it’s upstairs and on the other side of the house, away from us so she can’t hear us when we get our freak on. It’s perfect,” Cameron stated with a grin.

“See, that’s what I’m talking about. We wouldn’t be able to walk around naked on weekend mornings or make love spontaneously when she’s here. This is going to be a huge adjustment, Cameron and I don’t want you to have to go through all of that. It’s not fair to you,” Tavin stated.

“I’m a big boy, Tavin. I can handle more than you think. The other stuff, well, we’ll just have to be spontaneous when she’s not here and there will just have to be more morning shower sex with the door locked. No biggie. So, how many eggrolls do you want?” Cameron asked as he stood up and walked to the kitchen. He pulled out the Chinese takeout menu and looked it over.

“One. Wait, hold up. Have you listened to a word I’ve said?” Tavin asked as she walked towards the kitchen, leaning against the counter. Cameron picked up the cordless phone and dialed. He smiled at her, thinking about how sexy she looked in that outfit and grinned even more.

“Wait, hold on, baby. Yeah, can I get 3 eggrolls, an order of Shrimp Lo mein, a small combination rice, and an order of General Tao’s chicken? Wait, hold on. Tav, you want anything else?” Cameron asked.

“Some ribs and some Sweet and Sour Pork, please. Oh and don’t forget…” Tavin said.

“Could you add a small order of ribs and an order of Sweet and Sour Pork. Can you put extra soy sauce, duck sauce and spicy mustard with the order? Thanks. How long? 35 minutes? That’s cool. Thanks,” Cameron said as he hung up the phone and looked at her.

“Yes, I’ve heard everything you said…I can’t help but hear everything you’ve said, you’ve been hollering at the top of your lungs. It’s not as drastic as it seems, baby. We’re going to take it one day at a time, and handle it. So would you please stop talking about leaving here? You’re not going anywhere and neither is your sister, so stop. Let’s eat and just enjoy the rest of our night. Maybe you’ll let me talk you out of that all-into-one sexy tube top thingy you’ve got on and ravish you. Janae’s not coming back until tomorrow. It’ll be our last night of all over the penthouse freakin’. So, what do you say? Are you game?” Cameron asked smiling. Tavin just shook her head, arms still crossed.

“What the hell is wrong with you? This is a serious issue and you’re talking about making love,” Tavin stated.

“No, I’m talking about sexing you real freaky like all over the house one last time before Janae gets here. I know this is serious, sweetheart and you’re over analyzing again as usual, Tavin. It ain’t gonna be easy, but we’ll handle it. Alright?” Cameron asked.

“Oh, hell no! Why are you being so got damn amicable at a time like this? I need you to be saying, ‘Tav, I love you and all, but I can’t handle this shit. You’re on your own,” Tavin said as she crossed her arms and narrowed her eyes.

“I thought you knew me better than that, baby. Why would I tell you that? Sit down, crazy woman,” Cameron said as he walked over to her and sat on the sofa. He pulled her on his lap and began to speak to her.

“You know where I went? To talk to my mom. She was at Josslyn’s, so I got two for the price of one. Anyway, when I left here, I started thinking about everything. We’re newly engaged, the restaurant is just getting off it’s feet good and now, we’re responsible for another person. Shit, I was scared. Then, I talked to my mom and my sister. They pointed out the good things and the bad things, which by the way were not many. Okay, so I can’t walk around in just my boxers anymore and I really have to watch my mouth. I have to make sure that someone is home when they are supposed to be and doing what they are supposed to do. I’m going to have to spend time with someone and listen to them talk about things that may not have any real significance to me, but has a lot of significance to them. My point is, I can handle it. I know everyday ain’t going to be sunshine and rainbows, but hell, it’s not like that now. Tavin, your sister needs you right now, and you need to be there for her. You know how much I love you, Tavin. I want to be here for you and Janae. You love her, so I will too. When I gave you that ring, I meant it and everything that goes with it. You…leaving…is not an option. I don’t want you anywhere but here, with me. We’ve been through some shit, and I know how much it hurt to see your mother and to hear the things that she said. It hurt me to witness it. But, baby, you’re strong and she’s going to regret the day she chose him over you and Janae. So, that’s the way it is. We’re going to stick together and do this, alright? Wait, hold on, let me put this song on. I want you to listen, really listen to the words. You like this kid, and I still think he’s an asshole, but the words to this song…just listen, okay baby?” Cameron asked as he stroked her face. Tavin nodded in agreement and Cameron stood up and turned on the stereo. The music began to waft through the air and Cameron held out his hand.

“Dance with me?” he asked softly, looking down into her beautiful brown eyes that he loved. Tavin stood and Cameron took her hand and led her to the middle of the living room. He put his arms around her waist and Tavin put her arms around his neck. He stared down into her eyes as the song played. He mouthed some of the words as they danced.

Take It From Here Lyrics
» Justin Timberlake

Sometimes, sometimes the world gets hard
Oh na na na
I'm gonna take it from here girl
Don't you worry

I wanna be your lake, or your bay
And any problems that you have
I wanna wash 'em away
I wanna be your sky
So blue and high
And everytime you think of me
I wanna blow your mind

I wanna be your air
So sweet and fair
So when you feel that you can't breathe
Ma, I'll be there

I wanna be your answer, all the time
When you see how I put your life before mine
With no question

When all the love feels gone
And you can't carry on
Don't worry, girl
I'ma take it from here
Just as sure as the sun will shine
Every morning, everytime
Don't worry, girl
I'ma take it from here

I wanna hold your hands
Review all your plans
I wanna make sure everyone of your dreams is there
I would be your broadway show on review
So I can act out how God was when he made you
I wanna be your lighthouse when you get lost
I'll light a bright and shiny path to help you across
I wanna be your mother, wait
See what I see
And when you see that can't nobody hold you like me
Cause I love you

When all the love feels gone
And you can't carry on
Don't worry, girl
I'ma take it from here
Just as sure as the sun will shine
Every morning, everytime
Don't worry, girl (no no)
I'ma take it from here

And when there's no one there at home
And you realize the world is cold
Don't worry, girl
I'm a take it from here
That's what I'm gonna do
Just as sure as the sun will shine
Every morning, everytime
(Don't you worry, baby girl, baby girl)
Don't worry, girl
I'ma take it from here

Give me one reason why we should not be leaving
This world is so deceiving, the time is now
Let's fly away speeding
Through the Garden of Eden
Where all the sweet breathing of love surrounds

When all the love feels gone
And you can't carry on
Don't worry, girl
I'ma take it from here
Just as sure as the sun will shine
Every morning, everytime
Don't worry, girl (no no)
I'ma take it from here

Give me one reason
Why we should not be leaving
This world is so deceiving
The time is now
Lets fly away speeding
(We'll fly away)
Through the Garden of Eden
Where all the sweet and breathing
Of love surrounds

When all the love feels gone
And you can't carry on
Don't worry, girl
I'm-a take it from here
Just as sure as the sun will shine
Every morning, everytime
Don't worry, girl
I'm-a take it from here

Love ain't always the way they write in books
(No, no)
See there's the good guys
And also heartbreak crooks
Your hearts the real one
Just take a look inside
'Cause it's a colorful illustrated guide

So there you go
Don't worry
To help you weather the storm
I'll be there mami
No matter what time
No matter what place
You can always count on me
I'ma take it from here


Tavin looked up and just let the tears run. Cameron just swayed with her and smiled at her.

“So, you were saying, because I’m not going anywhere and neither are you,” Cameron replied with a grin.

“That was the sweetest thing…you are not real. You can’t be,” Tavin whispered as she wiped her face with her hand. Cameron wiped her cheeks with the pad of his thumbs and smiled.

“I am and so are you. Lovely, you give me something to get up for, something to smile about. I mean, you have no idea how much you mean to me, how I love the fact that you’re a part of my life, that you actually love me, not the cute rich guy, but me…Cameron. Don’t you know by now that I’d do anything for you…anything. If you have to do this, then so do I,” Cameron whispered as Tavin leaned up on tiptoe and kissed him softly on the lips. Cameron kissed her back and after the kissed, their foreheads touched.

“Are you sure about all this? Really?” Tavin asked, tears still falling.

“Yes, Tav, I’m here baby. I’m with you,” he replied as the doorbell rang. Cameron stepped away, kissed her softly on the lips then went to the door. He received the food from the delivery man and gave him the money. He closed and locked the door and brought the food into the kitchen. Tavin walked in and began to get plates, glasses and silverware out. As she did this, Cameron situated the food on the table. Their eyes caught.

“I love you, Cameron,” Tavin said, walking to stand next to him near the table, her eyes never leaving his.

Cameron held her gaze, smiled and pulled his bottom lip into his mouth. “I know. I love you, too. So, do you want to partake in all this food, then maybe I can get you out of this sexy little get up and have my way with you?”

Tavin smiled. “Yeah, I guess so. I hope you make it worth my while. I mean, this may be the last time to be really freaky for awhile.”

“Don’t worry about that, sweetheart. Just leave it to me,” Cameron replied as he leaned down and captured her lips with his once more.