Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


Chapter 30

The next day, Cameron made himself scarce so that Tavin and Janae could talk. Janae had been very quiet since her return from Nichelle’s house and understandably so. Tavin looked over at her sister as they sat on the balcony.

“So, where’s Cameron?” Janae asked.

“He had to go to Giselle’s for a meeting,” Tavin replied.

“How cool is that, Tavy? He named his restaurant after you. That was so sweet,” Janae said.

Tavin grinned. “Even though he’s a pain in the butt most of the time, he does do things that knock me off my feet," she replied as she thought about last night and all the times he had her off her feet and grinned even more.

“You hit the jackpot, Tavin. He’s good people,” Janae said.

“Yeah, he is. Well, you know we have to talk about a few things, umm, your curfew is 10pm and you’re still going to the dance program, but Cameron wanted to know if you would like a job at Giselle’s?” Tavin asked as Janae grinned.

“Really? What would I be doing?” Janae asked.

“Hostessing. You get to wear really cute dress clothes, but they have to be all black. You would have to greet people, seat people, things like that. You think you’d be interested in doing that?” Tavin asked.

Janae smiled. “Yes, I mean, I would have my own money and it would give me something to do. Yeah, that would be great.”

“Okay. I’ll bring you to get your permit tomorrow and we’ll go to the restaurant and get your paperwork started,” Tavin stated.

“You don’t have to work?” Janae asked.

“I took a few weeks off, Doodles. No big deal,” Tavin said.

“No, it is a big deal. You never take off work like that. Is it because of me?” Janae asked. The girl was no dummy, Tavin thought as she looked into her sister’s eyes.

“Maybe. Let’s not talk about that. So, how are you really doing?” Tavin asked Janae.

“I’m happy that I’m here with you and not in that house. I’m glad that you know what’s going on, finally, but other than that, I don’t know how I’m doing. I just keep thinking about him and what he did and why he did it. Then, I began to ask myself why didn't mommy believe me. I’m so confused. I wouldn’t lie about something so gross, Tavy. Why wouldn’t she take my side? I'm her daughter. Wouldn't you take your daughter's side?” Janae asked timidly.

Tavin’s heart felt like it was breaking into a million pieces. She knew her sister was hurting, but she would hurt even more when she found out that her mother gave her to Tavin. Tavin knew she had to tell her what was going on, but they had other things to discuss.

“Yes, I would, but honestly Janae, I don’t know anything where Delia is concerned. She didn’t believe me and she didn’t take my side. Mama Tammy and Nichelle believed me when she didn’t, and it took me a while to get over that. It’s going to take you some time as well,” Tavin replied.

“Thanks for believing me, Tavy,” Janae replied with a small smiled.

“Always. Don’t forget that,” Tavin stated.

“I won’t,” Janae whispered as they sat in silence for a minute.

Tavin began to speak. “Doodles, I wanted to run something by you. I have a therapist. Her name is Dr. Marine and I’ve been seeing her for several years. She’s really helped me to get through my past and the…abuse. I wanted to know if you’d like to talk to her, or someone else that she may recommend. It would help you Doodles…it would help you a lot. What do you think?” Tavin asked.

Janae wanted nothing more than to put everything behind her and move on. If this doctor could help, she would be more than grateful.

“I think that it would be good. Really good,” Janae replied timidly.

“Okay. I’ll call her in the morning,” Tavin replied as they sat in silence for a few minutes, embroiled in their own thoughts. Tavin then asked Janae a question.

“When you called me, I knew something was wrong. I could feel it. Why didn’t you tell me?” Tavin asked.

“I was embarrassed, Tavy and scared. I mean, you were so happy, the happiest I’ve ever known you to be and you had just gotten engaged and I didn’t want to ruin that for you. I figured that I could handle it, you know, but I guess I was wrong,” Janae replied with a sigh.

“Doodles, I could be in Timbuktu on Cloud 9 and I wouldn't care if you needed me. I always want you to tell me what’s going on with you, good, bad,or ugly. Do you understand?” Tavin asked.

“Yes, I understand. Tavin, my…dad… he’s the reason you never came home. He’s the reason you left,” Janae inquired as Tavin sighed.

“Yeah…your dad and Delia,” Tavin replied.

“You were never going to tell me, were you?” Janae asked.

“No, as long as he didn’t touch you, I wouldn’t have said anything to you. He was your father. I didn’t want to do that to you. I didn't want to ruin the image you had of him,” Tavin replied.

“Will you tell me about it now? Would you tell me what he did to you? I know it was something horrible, but I would like to know. I need to know,” Janae said.

Tavin looked at her sister and sighed. She had been going to Dr. Marine because of this moment. She was no longer afraid to share what she went through, especially with Janae, her sister, her blood. Tavin began to tell Janae what happened all those years ago. She began to cry and she was so swept into telling her story that she didn’t feel Janae grab her hand and hold it while she spoke. It felt good to finally tell her why she never came home, why she didn’t have a relationship with Delia. When Tavin finished, she looked at her sister who was crying. Tavin pulled Janae tightly in her arms and hugged her.

“Oh, baby, I didn’t mean to make you cry. I’m sorry,” Tavin replied as they embraced.

“I’m sorry that you had to go through that. I’m crying for you, Tavy, for what happened to you. It wasn’t fair. It wasn’t right! And mommy? She’s unbelievable! I’m crying for you, Tavy. Someone needs to cry for you,” Janae replied as they held their embrace, crying with each other. Janae cried for her sister because of what she had to endure. Tavin cried because she wished her sister didn’t have to know what she went through and she wished that man wouldn’t have touched Janae. She didn’t deserve what happened to her, hell, neither one of them did. She also cried because of the way Delia abandoned both of them. After they finished embracing and crying, Tavin held her sister’s hands and smiled at her.

“I love you, Doodles. I’m always here, you know that, don’t you? I’ve always got your back, Nay. Always” Tavin said in a tone that Janae knew wasn’t right. Something else was going on that also made her big sister cry and she wanted to know what it was.

“Yeah, I know. There’s something else that you’re not telling me, isn’t there Tavy?” Janae asked, as Tavin wiped her face with her hands and took a deep breath. Tavin didn’t say anything for a few minutes, then Janae spoke again.

“Tell me, Tavy. Whatever it is, please!” Janae exclaimed as Tavin handed her the envelope with her birth certificate and other important documents.

Janae looked through it, then fastened her brown eyes on Tavin’s. “Mommy gave this to you?”

Tavin didn’t want to tell her sister, but she knew that if she didn’t, it wouldn’t help Janae in the long run. She needed to know about Delia without any sugar coating. Enough of that had been done and Tavin wasn’t going to continue it.

“Yes, Janae. She said that she thought that it would be best for you to stay with me because she couldn’t leave Lawrence...she wouldn't leave Lawrence and I told her that I wasn’t going to let you go back and live in that nightmare, so you’re here with us now. She’s going to ship your clothes and all your things here in a few days. In the meantime, we’ll go shopping for furniture and other things that you might need. We’ll also began to look for schools and stuff like that.”

Janae stared at the envelope while running her fingers lightly over it. “That’s why you took off for a few weeks.”

“Well, yeah. I also have tons of things to do. Nyla and Trey’s wedding is Saturday, I have to begin planning our wedding, which I was told by Cameron has to happen in two months or less, because he’s tired of me having the cow and getting the milk for free and I have to make an honest man out of him because shacking up just ain’t right,” Tavin replied as they both laughed lightly.

“Cameron is hilarious,” Janae replied.

“You’ve only seen the tip of the insanity. Just wait, there’s more,” Tavin replied as they laughed. There was silence as Janae looked up from the envelope.

“She only came here to bring me to you. That was her reason for coming. To dump me on you because she won’t leave daddy. She makes your life a living hell, then she makes you take me so I can bother your life,” Janae stated, and Tavin balled her fists at the pain she heard in her sister’s voice.

“You are not, do you hear me, are not, bothering me at all. Yes, there are going to be some adjustments and changes, but it’s nothing that can’t be handled. I’m glad you’re here. I’ve missed out on so much of your life because I couldn’t go back to that house, and now we can make up for all of that. You are welcome here and don’t you forget it,” Tavin replied as she grabbed her sister’s hand and held it. Janae’s tears flowed freely down her face as she smiled at her sister.

“I’m really glad that you feel that way. I didn’t want to be a burden on you or Cameron, Tavy. I won’t be any trouble and I’ll try not to get in your way. I make straight A’s in school. I mean, we’re both neat freaks, so that’s not going to be a problem. I can cook some nights, do laundry…,” Janae replied as Tavin smiled at her.

“Don’t do that, sweetie. You’re not a burden. I know you, remember? We’re family. Just be your sweet, considerate, funny self and we’re going to be just fine. I’m not going to have you thinking that you have to repay me or something, Janae. You’re my sister. My blood. Always remember that,” Tavin replied as Janae smiled.

“I will. This just hurts, Tavy, it hurts a lot. She doesn’t want me. She chose him. She’s such a punk, a coward. Why couldn’t she just leave him, huh? Oh, I know why. She likes pushing her luxury cars to her quarter of a million dollar house. How can she sleep at night,knowing that she chose a monster over her kids?” Janae asked as the tears fell. Tavin pulled her into her arms again and held her. She stroked her back and let her cry.

“I know it hurts, but it gets better. You’re not alone, Janae. You’ve got me, my crazy ass fiance’, Nichelle and when you meet the rest of my friends and Cameron’s family, you’re going to feel right at home. Doodles, this is your home now, and I want you to think of it as such from this day forward. No looking back, just concentrate on the present and the future. We’ll take it one day at a time. It’ll be fun, you know and you’ll still be able to dance and you can invite Danielle out for a visit whenever you guys get breaks from school. Just know that I’m here, Cameron’s here and we’re family. I’ve always got your back...always,” Tavin stated as she continued to hold her sister who’s tears finally ceased.

“Thank you, Tavy,” Janae replied.

“You’re very welcome, sweetie,” Tavin said as she rubbed Janae’s back.

“So, what I want to know is, how much of an allowance am I going to get? ” Janae asked with a grin. Tavin looked down at Janae and laughed.

“You’re going to have a job,” Tavin stated.

“I know, but you always gave me an allowance before. Never hurts to try,” Janae replied. Tavin shook her head.

“Money always makes you feel better, doesn’t it?” Tavin asked.

“Hey, I am your sister,” Janae replied with a grin.

“You’re right about that…you’re so right about that,” Tavin replied as she held her sister in her arms, continuing the comforting embrace.
*******************************************************

Cameron was looking over paperwork in his office at Giselle’s when he saw the love of his life and her sister walk in. She had on a pair of low rider denim jeans with a yellow, v-neck Henley with flutter sleeves and cute butter yellow plaid sandals. She looked gorgeous and sexy as hell, but he couldn’t say that at this time. Her ass also looked a bigger and her hips a little wider, but he didn’t mind it. Not one bit.

Tavin walked over and smiled at Cameron. Damn, the man got more good looking everyday. He had on a white long sleeved shirt, with the sleeves rolled at the elbows, with a pair of khaki slacks. Simple, yes, but he looked so sexy. Tavin reached him and stood up on tiptoe and kissed him on the lips.

“Hey, baby. Hey Janae. Did you get it?” Cameron asked in his office at Giselle’s. Tavin sat on the edge of his desk as Janae grinned from ear to ear, waving her permit back and forth. Cameron laughed and sat back in his seat.

“I take that as a yes,” Cameron replied.

“Yes. It didn’t take too long and we’ve had the best day. I really do love New York,” Janae replied, still grinning.

“That’s good. So, the next step for you is to fill out your paperwork and then, orientation and training,” Cameron replied in an animated voice as Janae jumped up and down and began to do a little dance. Tavin couldn’t help but laugh.

“I guess she’s excited,” Tavin replied as the door to Cameron’s office opened once more. Taylor grinned as he walked in the door and saw a teenage girl dancing and Tavin and Cameron laughing.

“What’s up, everybody? Are you guys having a party back here and did you forget to send my invite?” Taylor asked as Janae stopped dancing and just stared at Taylor. Taylor grinned at the girl who shared some resemblance with Tavin as he made his way to his future sister-n-law and kissed her cheek.

“Hello hotness. So, I see you haven’t come out of your coma and you’re still with my moron brother,” Taylor replied as Cameron mouthed fuck you to Taylor.

“Yes, I must be a glutton for punishment or a crackhead. Either way, I’m stuck with him. Oh, and he gave me the precious, so I ain’t going nowhere,” Tavin said as they laughed and she wiggled her engagement ring at them. Janae was still staring at Taylor as they spoke.

“You women love the big, shiny rocks, huh?” Taylor asked.

“And don’t you forget it,” Tavin replied.

“You don’t care that you’re going to be placing gramp’s teeth in a glass in a few years?” Taylor said with a grin as Cameron mouthed another obscenity to Taylor.

“Naw…and it won’t be me. I’ll hire someone else to do it. I’m too young. I’ll probably run off with some hot, young guy, you know,” Tavin replied.

“Hey, I could be that hot, young guy,” Taylor said, looking at Tavin as they tried not to laugh at Cameron getting angry.

“Keep dreaming, you little turd. You could be that hot, young guy…and you could also be that hot, young, guy, removing my fist from your mouth,” Cameron replied with a grin as they burst out laughing.

“So touchy,” Taylor said with a grin.

“As long as you’re not touching her, we’re all good. So, Taylor this is Janae, Tavin’s sister. Janae, this is my brother Taylor,” Cameron replied as Taylor walked over to the cute young girl and kissed her on the cheek. Janae was still not speaking and staring at Taylor.

“Whoa,” Janae replied as Taylor grinned.

“Whoa, indeed. I have this effect on all females, so I’m used to it. It’s cool. Welcome to the family,” Taylor replied as Janae grinned at him.

“Thank you. Wow. You’re a hottie, too, just like Cameron,” Janae said.

“I think I’m going to like this kid,” Taylor replied with a grin.

“Do all the guys in your family look like you?” Janae asked.

“Please…they wish,” Taylor replied as he grinned over at Cameron and Tavin, who was laughing her ass off. Cameron gave him the finger and Tavin popped him on top of his head.

“Whatever, bro,” Taylor said.

“What are you doing here?” Cameron asked. Tavin stopped laughing as she clenched her stomach with her hands.

“I just ate my free lunch and decided to come and holla at you. Tav, you okay?” Taylor asked.

“It must have been that seafood salad that I had for lunch. Ever since I ate it, my stomach has been queasy,” Tavin replied as Cameron sat up and pulled Tavin to sit on his lap. He rubbed her stomach.

“Aw, my baby has a tummy ache?” he asked.

“Uh huh,” Tavin said with a pout as he kissed her on the lips. Taylor rolled his eyes, right along with Janae.

“Um, excuse me, but there’s a child in the room,” Taylor said.

“Hey, I’m no child…I’m a teenager…I’m 15. No kid here,” Janae replied.

“Can you vote?” Taylor asked.

“Nope,” Janae replied back.

“Can you drink alcohol?” Taylor asked.

“Nope,” Janae replied.

“Then, as far as I'm concerned, lil bit, you’re still fresh off the breast,” Taylor replied as Tavin and Cameron shook their head. Janae rolled her eyes at Taylor and he just grinned. Cameron rubbed her stomach and looked at her.

“Feel better?” Cameron asked.

“No,” Tavin replied.

“Janae, sweetie, go to the bar and ask them for some ginger ale for your sister, ok?” Cameron asked.

“Ok,” Janae replied as she walked out of the door towards the bar.

“She’s a cute kid, Tavin,” Taylor replied as Tavin’s head went closer into Cameron’s neck.

“Thanks, Taylor. Baby, after I drink this ginger ale, I’m going home and lie down,” Tavin replied.

“I can bring you,” Taylor offered.

“Thanks, lil bro. Janae can finish her paperwork at home and meet with Lewis tomorrow at nine, okay?” Cameron asked Tavin as she nodded in agreement. Janae came in with a glass of ginger ale and handed it to her sister. Tavin thanked her and swallowed the cold, sweet liquid. It did settle her stomach some, but all she wanted to do was hurl and lie down.

“Better?” Cameron asked as he looked into her eyes.

“A little. I’m ready if you are, Taylor,” Tavin replied.

“Okay. Let me get them to bring my car around,” Taylor replied as he left the office.

Cameron explained to Janae that she was to have the paperwork finished for her interview tomorrow morning and Janae nodded yes. Tavin stood up and Cameron put his hands on her shoulders.

“You call me when you get home okay,” Cameron asked as a queasy Tavin began to walk, but faltered.

“As soon as I throw up,” Tavin replied as she held on to Cameron. He picked her up and she didn’t protest as he walked with her and Janae to the front door, waiting on Taylor’s car. He ignored all the looks and glances as he walked with her in his arms to the door.

“I guess you want to throw your back out today,” Tavin replied as he smiled.

“You’re not heavy, girl. Relax, sweetheart, the car’s coming,” He held her until the valet pulled up with Taylor’s car and put her inside, on the backseat to stretch out. Janae sat in the front passenger seat.

“You’re not going to hurl in my whip, are you Tav?” Taylor asked as Cameron popped him in the back of his head.

“No, I don’t think so,” Tavin said weakly as Cameron leaned over and kissed her on the forehead.

“Take care of your sister, Janae. Taylor, help her inside…no free feels, either,” Cameron replied with a grin.

“Damn,” Taylor said as he snapped his fingers.

“Lovely, I’ll be here for a few hours then I’ll be home. I love you,” Cameron replied as Tavin nodded.

“I love you, too,” Tavin said with a small smile, as Cameron closed the door. He waited until the car was out of sight and he went back inside Giselle’s.