Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


Chapter 5

Another beautiful Saturday morning had approached and Tavin rose, gave thanks to God for waking her, and said her morning prayer. After she finished her prayer, she began her household chores. She completed her laundry, did the floors, and dusted. After her chores were done, Tavin sat done to complete some work that she brought home the previous day. Tavin did not have to do work on Saturday's, but she didn't have anything else to do, and the 3 to 4 hours she put in at home on Saturday's made her week a little easier. Besides, she liked her work. She was good at her job and it made her feel good when she successfully closed an account. Tavin had been working for 2 hours when the phone rang.

"Hello, " Tavin answered.

"Hey, girl," responded Felicia.

"Oh, hey, Fee. What's goin' on?" Tavin asked.

"Nothing. Did I interrupt you? I know your ass is in that damn apartment on this gorgeous day working," Felicia replied.

"Yeah, I'm working, but I always have time for you...and stop messin' with me about working on Saturday," Tavin stated.

"Alright, but, I just want you to go out...have some fun...get a man...have some one night stand sex. Do something out of your character, for once, Tav. I'm only saying this because I care, mami," Felicia said, in a warm, concerned tone. Tavin sighed into the phone. She knew she meant well, but she didn't want to get into that right now with Felicia.

"Yeah, I know you do, but I don't do the one night stand stuff, Fee. It's not me, but enough about that. What's bothering you, chica?" Tavin asked, changing the subject.

"I want to ask you something," Fee replied.

Tavin moved away from her computer and sat on her sofa, with her legs tucked underneath her, smiling.

"Okay, go for what you know," Tavin stated.

"Alright. Tav, do you know if Nicholas is dating someone seriously? The reason I'm asking is because...if you already don't know, me and Nick have been doin' the "friends with benefits" thing for about a year, and I wanted to know, what's going on? I haven't seen him in about a month and for us, that's a long time," Felicia said as Tavin's mouth turned into a huge O. Friends with benefits? Felicia had a crush on Nicholas for as long as Tavin could remember and she couldn't believe that Felicia wanted to settle for just a sexual relationship with Nicholas.

"Ooow!! You been doin' it with Nicholas!!!" Tavin exclaimed.

"Yeah, heifer, we been knockin' boots and before you ask, yeah, it's damn good. You need to try it sometime," Felicia replied.

"To hell with you, heifer and no, he hasn't told me anything. He knew I wouldn't like the F.W.B. situation, so he definitely kept me in the dark on this, but thanks for telling me. Can I ask you a question?" Tavin asked.

"Of course," Felicia stated.

"You have feelings for Nick, Fee. Why would you settle for the F.W.B. when you want the complete package?" Tavin asked.

Felicia sighed and began to speak. "I settled for it because I wasn't ready for anything with Nicholas. Look, you know we've been flirting and dancing around each other for years. One night, we met to have dinner, the next morning, we're continuing the horizontal tango in the sheets from the previous night. At the time, I was working 12 hour shifts and honestly, I didn't want anything permanent with Nick. It was perfect. Then, my feelings grew. I've masked them, of course, but I think he knows and he's avoiding me. We've been cool for too long for that, Tav. I do want the...oh man, this is difficult for me to say...relationship thing with him, but I'm not going to force him. So, say something before I continue to ramble," Felicia replied in a breathy tone. Felicia worked as a surgical RN at one of the city's hospitals. Felicia also had a commitment phobia, never allowing herself to get tied down to a man, something she and Tavin had in common. Felicia had to be the biggest female player that Tavin knew. Tavin scratched her head and began to speak.

"The only thing I can tell you Fee is to talk to Nick," Tavin stated.

Felicia sighed. "Yeah, I figured you were going to say that. I don't know how I'm going to tell him that I want to stop the random booty calls and make them permanent booty calls."

"You know him better than I do, girl. Just tell him. If he doesn't want the same thing, his loss...move on. I'll be here for you," Tavin said.

"I know. I'm just going to throw myself out there and if he doesn't want to be with me, you are right...his loss. I am too fine to be worrying about one man. Thanks, Tav," Felicia replied.

"No problem, just handle your business. If you need me, just call me, okay. I'll be on standby with some double chocolate ice cream and a strawberry cheesecake," Tavin stated in a kind, warm tone of voice.

"I will let you know what happens, and make sure you have extra strawberries and whip cream, just in case," Felicia said.

"Will do," Tavin stated with smile.

"I'll see you tomorrow at brunch. Love you, girl," Felicia replied.

Tavin smiled. "Love you, too."

"Later," Felicia replied.

"Bye," Tavin stated as she hung up the phone. She hoped that Nicholas and Felicia would give each other a chance. They were perfect for each other.

Tavin went back to her computer and began to look over her paperwork again. The phone rang twenty minutes later and Tavin assumed it was Felicia.

"I'm going to get the extra strawberries and whip cream Fee," Tavin answered.

"Extra strawberries and whip cream, huh? What kind of kinky shit are you guys into...can I watch?" a sexy, deep voice asked. Tavin sighed. It was Cameron. She began to remember that kiss and cleared her head.

"No, you can't, perv, and it's not that kind of party," Tavin replied, about to hang up the phone. Tavin really did not have the time or the energy to verbally go toe to toe with Cameron today. Cameron sensed that she was going to hang up and responded.

"Don't hang up the phone, please. I was just messing with you. Besides, you can't blame a guy for trying. How are you, Tavin?" Cameron asked in a sincere voice. Sincere?

"I'm fine," Tavin replied cautiously.

"That's good," said Cameron.

"How did you get my phone number?" Tavin asked.

"Tavin, we have the same friends. I got your number from one of them," Cameron replied.

"Well, what do you want? I'm working," Tavin stated, with a sigh.

"On a Saturday? It's a beautiful day and you're inside, working?" Cameron asked. Tavin sat back on the couch in the position she was sitting previously.

"Yes. Some people don't have it like you, Cameron. Some of us have to work. Just because it's a beautiful day doesn't mean my bills don't need to be paid. I have deadlines and by working on Saturday's, the rest of my week is lighter. Why am I explaining myself to you. What do you want?" Tavin asked.

"I want you to take a lunch break with me. I wanted to talk with you...over a slice...at Fugaro's. It's important," Cameron replied. Fugaro's had some of the best pizza in the city. Nichelle told Cameron that Tavin absolutely loved Fugaro's pizza. Tavin was curious, to say the least. She loved Fugaro's pizza. Besides, if he pissed her off, she could always smash a slice of pizza in his face. Yeah, that would be fun, Tavin smiled to herself.

"What's so important that you can't tell me over the phone?" Tavin inquired.

"You'll find out when I see you. Meet you in an hour?" Cameron asked.

"Yeah, okay...an hour," Tavin replied as she hung the phone. What the hell did he want, Tavin asked herself.

Cameron smiled to himself and hung up the phone. He wanted...no, he needed her to trust him. Cameron ran to his bathroom to take a quick shower, then he was off to see Ms. Tavin Wilson.
*********************************************************

Cameron sat in a booth near the back of Fugaro's awaiting Tavin's arrival. He finally saw Tavin walk through the glass front doors of the restaurant. Tavin weaved her way through the sea of hungry take-out patrons until she reached the booth were Cameron sat. Cameron thought she looked pretty cute in a plain, v-neck t-shirt, and some short faded jean shorts, with white and pink sneakers. The way she looked in those shorts...whoa. She had some of the sexiest legs he had ever seen. The shorts cupped her bottom just right...whew. He had to clear his mind and focus.

Tavin slid into the red vinyl booth across from Cameron. He wore a light blue Yankees baseball cap, light blue t-shirt layered over a white tee shirt, and jeans. The light blue made his green eyes look more amazing, Tavin thought. Boy, what a fine white boy, Tavin thought. She had to stay focused. Tavin sat straight up and looked Cameron square in the eye.

"Okay, so what do you want?" Tavin asked. Cameron grinned.

"Well...hello to you too, Tavin," Cameron replied.

"Hello, Cameron," Tavin responded.

"How are you?" Cameron asked.

"I'm fine. I told you that I was fine an hour ago," Tavin said.

"Hey, just wanted to make sure. Anything could have happened within an hour," Cameron stated.

"Alright, enough with the pleasantries. What's really up with you, Cameron?" Tavin asked.

"What do you mean?" Cameron asked.

"I've been here two minutes and you haven't given me one smart ass remark. What gives?" Tavin implored.

"I need to talk to you, as I stated earlier on the phone. I didn't call you to have lunch to piss you off, Tavin," Cameron replied. What the hell was going on? Did she ingest too many cleaning liquid fumes, Tavin asked herself.

"I don't know. Weirder things have happened. Besides, you are never nice to me, so excuse me for being a little cautious and pessimistic," Tavin said. There was a short, tense silence and then Cameron spoke.

"I deserved that. Okay, if you must know, I asked you to lunch so that I could properly apologize for the way I've been coming at you all these years. I'm tired of the fighting and all the awkwardness, and everyone else is, too. I know I am the cause of most of the fights, and I wanted to say, I'm sorry. I asked you here to put an end to all the bickering between you and me. I would like to have a permanent truce. What do you say?" Cameron asked. Tavin smiled at him.

"Have you been eating magic mushrooms or something?" Tavin asked.
Cameron laughed and gave her a dimpled grin.

"No, I haven't," Cameron said.

"You been smokin' Chronic?" Tavin asked. Cameron laughed again.

"No, to weed, PCP, X. I say no to drugs," Cameron replied.

"Yeah, you don't need them, with your crazy ass," Tavin replied. Cameron laughed.

"If I would have known that I could get a smile like that out of you, I would have apologized years ago," Cameron replied.

"I must be dreaming. Are we on some reality show that wants you to stick it to me, and then, you get up and yell, sike, or something. Is this a joke?" Tavin asked.

"No, it's not a joke. I'm serious, Tavin. Truce?" Cameron asked. Tavin would not give in so easily. Cameron wanted something, but she didn't know what. Her eyes narrowed into slits as she crossed her arms and stared at him. Cameron's long, right arm was spread along the booth and his left arm was on the table. He wasn't joking. He was serious.

"Okay, what do you want, Cameron? Is this because of that kiss, because if it is...," Tavin said, but Cameron removed his arm from the back of the booth and sat up. He put his hands on the table and put his right hand on top of her right hand. She didn't move or throw the red pepper flake shaker at him, which was a good sign.

"No it doesn't have to do with that incredible kiss. Trust me, it was a very good kiss," Cameron replied, his green eyes staring into her dark brown ones. It wasn't a lie, but it wasn't completely true, he thought.

Tavin blushed and replied, "Yeah, it was a damn good one." Cameron laughed and continued to speak.

"It has to do with everyone telling me that I was being a complete shit to you all these years, because I don't know you. I have to admit, you hurt my ego when you didn't give in to all the flirting I've done throughout the years, but, I just want to bury the hatchet. I'm tired of the war, Tavin...that's all. Please, forgive me. Let's start over," Cameron simply stated.

Tavin put her right thumb in her mouth and chewed the nail, something Cameron had seen her do before, but really didn't take any notice. She does that when she's thinking, he thought. It was something very simple, but absolutely adorable. Stay focused, Cameron, he replied to himself. You can't be thinking about how cute she looks when you're on a mission to be her friend.

Tavin looked into Cameron's eyes. She could usually tell by the look in someone's eyes if they were being truthful or not. Cameron's eyes were as sincere as his words, with no hint of sarcasm. It would be good to just go out with the gang without worrying about how she was going to keep her cool with Cameron. She meditated on what Dr. Marine said and she figured, what the hell. She would bite. She just hoped her good faith judgement would not backfire in her face.

"Okay," she simply replied. Cameron's face broke into one of those Hollywood killer smiles, dimples and all.

"Really?" Cameron asked.

"Yes, really. Just don't make me regret this, Caldwell," Taivn replied. Cameron continued to smile at her. Tavin couldn't help but smile back. His smile was infectious.

"But, I gotta admit, I love fighting you with you. Those arguments would give me a good laugh throughout the day," Cameron replied.

"I know, right. I mean, you really get some good ones in...for a white boy," Tavin replied. Then she looked at him strangely.

"Ha, you got me. It's okay, though. I'm a fine white boy, though," Cameron said.

"There's the conceited bastard that I know and love," Tavin replied.

"Couldn't just agree with me. The smart mouthed witch is still in the house," Cameron replied.

"She ain't never leaving. Do we have to stop fighting completely?" Tavin asked.

Cameron laughed. "Between me and you, sweetheart, I don't think we will ever stop fighting. It's fun," Cameron replied.

"It is fun. And don't call me sweetheart," Tavin replied.

Cameron pulled his hand away from hers and positioned his body into an erect pose and placed his hand out to her hand to shake.

"I'll call you whatever I want," Cameron replied, his hand still out. Tavin stared at it.

"Oh, yeah? Well, just get used to being cursed out and maybe slapped on the regular from now on," Tavin replied.

"Oooh, kinky. Looking forward to it. Hi, I'm Cameron Caldwell, the dude with the huge smile on his face and you are?" Cameron implored.

Tavin laughed and took his hand. "Tavin Wilson, the chic that's looking at you like you're nuts because you keep smiling at me like you just hit the lotto," she replied.

"No, it's better than that," he said in a softer tone of voice. There was a comfortable silence, then Tavin begin to speak.

"Well, if you have hit the lotto, I would love a million dollars, if it's not too much to ask," Tavin stated. Cameron continued to smile.

"Just a mil? That's a drop in the bucket," Cameron replied.

"I know. I don't want to be too greedy," she replied.

"No, we can't have that. Besides, it's only a lousy mil. I can handle that. So, what kind of slice do you want, and please, don't say vegetarian," Cameron stated.

"Pepperoni," Tavin said with a laugh.

"Alright. I'll be right back," Cameron replied grinning at her as he slid out of the booth to order their pizza. Tavin sat back in the booth, with a small smile on her face. She was glad that she was hungry or she never would have received that apology. Friends instead of sworn enemies with Cameron Caldwell? Cameron looked over his shoulder and smiled at her from the cashier's line. That smile...lord, she was in trouble. Her life just kept getting stranger and stranger.
*********************************************************

The "Pizza Truce Day," as Tavin and Cameron fondly called it, turned out to be a wonderful one. Tavin and Cameron ate pizza until they burst. They walked in the park and talked about themselves, and the gossip among their circle of friends. It wasn't romantic, but it was special. Cameron was actually a cool guy when he wasn't firing smart aleck remarks her way. Cameron found out that the tough as nails Tavin Wilson was vulnerable and shy. They learned so much about each other that made them open their eyes. They were both completely wrong about each other.

The next day, Tavin woke up to find a smiley face balloon, and a card outside her door. Tavin walked back into the apartment, locking the door. She put the balloon on the bar along with the card. The card was intended to be from a group of employees to an individual. On the outside, it read, "We enjoyed the information that you presented". The inside said, "Thank you for taking time out of your busy schedule to spend the day with us." Tavin burst out laughing. It only had a smiley face drawn in the inside with a cursive C. Only Cameron would send something that silly.

Tavin picked up her phone and called Cameron's house. Cameron heard his phone ringing as he came through the door from his run. He ran 3 miles a day. While he was out on his run this morning, he saw a balloon and card that was perfect. He really wanted to knock on her door and give her the balloon in person, but he remembered Nicholas's advice and decided against it. He didn't want to push it, so he placed the items on her doorstep, left, and continued his run.

Cameron grabbed his phone on the 3rd ring.

"This is Cameron," he said breathlessly into the phone. He walked over to the refrigerator and grabbed a liter of bottled water.

"Oh, hey, um, Cameron, this is Tavin. If this is a bad time...," Tavin replied. Cameron interrupted her.

"No, just finished my run. Hold on okay?" he asked. He gulped some water from the bottle and took a few deep breaths. He put the phone back to his ear, and sat on one of his bar stools. He picked up a towel and wiped the sweat from his face.

"I'm back. Hey, you're an early riser," Cameron observed.

"Don't go getting too excited, because I am aided by a very loud alarm clock and strong coffee. I hate waking up early, but I have to," Tavin replied.

"Oh, not me. I wake up at 5:00am every morning to run. It clears my head and gets me ready for the day," Cameron replied.

"A triple mocha latte and three Krispy Kreme glazed donuts get me ready for my day," Tavin stated as she heard Cameron laugh.

"There's nothing wrong with that. But, running helps your endurance. You told me that you walk on your treadmill for an hour everday. If you can walk, you can run. Maybe you could join me sometime," Cameron said in a light tone of voice as he drank some more water. He had to watch himself. He didn't want to come on too strong.

"I don't know about that, but we'll see. Besides, I'm a black woman. I don't run. I don't do anything that will sweat out my relaxer," Tavin replied.

"Trust me, I know you don't do anything, and I mean anything, to sweat out your hair. It must be hard living with all that pent up sexual tension. Poor you," Cameron replied. Tavin rolled her eyes.

"You know, you really get on my last nerve and for the last time, stop worrying about my sexual tension. Oh, thanks for the card and the balloon. The card was too funny. You are such a trip, boy," Tavin replied, taking a sip of coffee from her coffee mug.

"I figured you would like that since you have so much joy in your life now, thanks to me, and you're welcome. So, what are you doing today, Ms. Wilson?" Cameron asked.

"I'm going to church in an hour, you stuck up ass. After, I'm going to grab some lunch, come home, watch a chic flick and be lazy for the rest of the day. What about you?" Tavin asked.

"I wish I could laze the day away, but I've been summoned to my parent's house today. They only summon me when there's some family problem, so I''m going to be up to my elbows in Caldwell family drama today. I've got to take a shower and get going, Tavin. Pray that I get through the day with my family, please?" Cameron asked.
He really wanted to stay on the phone with her and he really wanted to see her, but he had to tread lightly with Tavin.

Tavin was a little disappointed that he had to go, but she realized that she was thinking the wrong way and forced a smile.

"I will, Cameron. I hope everythings okay with your family," Tavin said. Cameron smiled.

"I'm sure it is. I'll talk to you soon. Have a good day, Tav," he replied.

"Yeah, you too Cameron, and thanks again for the balloon and the card," Tavin stated.

"Anytime. Act lazy for me today," Cameron replied as Tavin laughed.

"Will do. Bye Cameron," Tavin said as she hung up the phone with a grin. Getting off the phone with Cameron with a grin was much better than a shouting, cursing match.

Tavin began to get ready for church when she heard her phone ring again. Tavin answered cheerily.

"Hello, this is Tavin."

"Hey, baby," a familiar female voice said. Tavin sat on the last stool near her bar and gripped the edge of the bar tightly with her fingers.

"You lost the right to call me that a long time ago, you know, when you abandoned me. Why are you calling me?" Tavin asked the woman in a cold tone of voice.

"I just wanted to talk to you about your sister, that's all. I know you wanted her to come and visit you for Thanksgiving," the female voice replied.

"It's July, not November. Again, what do you want and make it quick?" Tavin asked, snapping her voice at the woman.

"I just wanted to say hello. I miss you. I also want you to know that if you ever need me I'm here," the female replied.

"Oh, spare me the care bullcrap. Don't play the loving mother now, Delia. That ship has sailed. I'm all grown up. I have a good job. I've taken care of myself for years, and I haven't stopped. When I really needed, you, you weren't there. I definitely don't need you now," Tavin stated in a frosty, clipped voice as she heard a male voice calling the female in the background. Tavin shook her head and spoke again.

"Call me in October about Janae. I will send her a ticket when the time rolls around. I am going to only tell you this one more time, Delia. Don't contact me again. I'll contact you," Tavin replied coldly as she hung up the phone with the woman who gave birth to her. Tavin looked at her balloon and card and slammed the phone down again. Why did she have to get a call from her today? She was feeling good, and that woman's voice ruined her day. Great way to start the week, Tavin thought.
*********************************************************

One month later, Tavin was at home on another Sunday afternoon, watching the news and surfing the internet. Her telephone rang and she picked it up on the first ring.

"Hello," Tavin answered.

"Hey, Tav," Cameron replied.

"Oh, hi. What's up? When did you get back in town?" Tavin asked.

"Late last night. Trust me, I couldn't wait to get home," Cameron said with relief in his voice. Tavin shook her head.

"You were in Miami and you're happy to be back here?" Tavin asked.

"Hell yeah," Cameron responded.

"The wedding was that bad, huh?" Tavin asked. Cameron had attended his cousin Monica's wedding in the Miami.

"No, the wedding wasn't bad, but getting felt up by every single woman there was not fun, at all...and I mean every single woman...old, young, middle-aged. If I walked by, my ass got pinched. If I stood in one place, my ass got popped. My ass is sore from all the women who pinched it and slapped it," Cameron replied. Tavin laughed as she sat on the couch.

"That's your family," Tavin responded with a laugh.

"I'm glad to see you think that my ass molestation is funny. Besides, that's the bad part. My family is not supposed to be feeling me up and propositioning me. That's just nasty," Cameron replied as Tavin continued to laugh.

"Aw, you felt used, huh?" Tavin asked.

"Yeah, I did," Cameron replied.

"Welcome to a woman's world," Tavin replied.

"Well, on behalf of my sex, I apologize. Those women were vultures. They kept eyeing me, winking at me, and licking their lips. I felt like a piece of meat," Cameron replied.

"Well, boo fuckin' hoo. We get felt up on and harassed on a regular basis. I can be in the store buying tampons and one of you fools will try to push up on me. So, get over it," Tavin replied.

"They probably sense that the tampons are the only things that get that close to you, and figure, why not?" Cameron replied.

"Fuck you Cameron," Tavin replied as Cameron laughed.

"I told you, anytime," he replied. Tavin snorted.

"I don't think so. I know I don't feel sorry for your ass now, you trifling bastard. Do you need someone to rub your ass down?" Tavin asked jokingly.

"If you are offering, then, hell yeah," Cameron replied. Tavin laughed.

"Fool, are you on crack? I'm not rubbing your ass. I don't know where it's been. You better put some ice on it and...chill," Tavin replied laughing at her own joke. She wouldn't have minded rubbing his behind, but she didn't want to think about that.

"Tav, that was kind of corny," Cameron stated with a laugh.

"I know, but you laughed, didn't you?" Tavin asked.

"Yeah...but it still was a bad joke," he replied.

"I know it was. So, how was Fog, Hail, Wind, Sleet...?" Tavin asked as Cameron interrupted her with a laugh.

"Misty, her name's Misty," Cameron said.

"Oh, my bad, Misty. It's not my fault that you are dating a chic with a weather condition as a name," Tavin stated.

"I'm not dating Misty and it was this planned thing by mother and her mother. I escorted her to the wedding. Nothing more, nothing less," Cameron said in a matter of fact tone.

"Oh," Tavin simply stated.

"Besides, I don't like bimbos and that girl is pretty stupid. No common sense, ya know. I tried to talk to her and it turned into the Misty Bennett one woman show. She's so dense. I hate dense women," Cameron replied.

"Stop the lies. Some of the women I've seen you with have been dumber than dirt. Doorknobs have higher IQ's than some of the women you've dated," Tavin replied.

"You just wish it was you, admit it," Cameron replied.

"Yeah...I wish I was Typhoon the ditz on your arm. Yeah right," Tavin replied.

"Her name is Misty, and I must admit, you got me on the dumb girls tip. I have dated a lot of dumb girls, but this girl was beyond stupid. She was a nincompoop," Cameron replied.

"Takes one to know one, huh?" Tavin asked with a smile.

"Blow me," Cameron replied as Tavin laughed.

"Never gonna happen, pal. I know you are really loving your mother right now, for choosing such a winner for you. She sure knows how to pick 'em," Tavin said.

"Yeah, well, I made it perfectly clear to my mom that she is not to do that anymore. Enough about the weather girl. How are you? Did you miss me?" Cameron asked with humor in his voice.

"I'm fine and you were only gone two days. I didn't have time to miss you," Tavin replied, lying through her teeth.

"Uh huh. So, what are you doing today?" Cameron asked.

"Nothin' much. Why?" Tavin asked.

"You want to go see a movie or something? I gotta get out of here and you're my last hope. Donovan is gone out of town on business, Trey is wrapped up with some woman and Nick is not home. So, you have to save me from boredom. What do you say?" Cameron asked.

"I guess so. Why not? It'll be my good deed for the day. What time?" Tavin asked.

"Umm, 2:30pm okay with you?" Cameron asked.

"That's cool. I'll see you then," Tavin replied as she hung up the phone.

Cameron laid back against his California king size bed and smiled. He really wanted to bring Tavin with him to the wedding, but he didn't want to push her just yet. Misty really bugged the crap out of him and he only escorted her to shut his mother up. He was really getting to know Tavin, and she was not as he originally thought. She was funny as hell and smart and compassionate. He knew he had to continue to get to know her as a friend, but he wanted more. He was a patient man and he wouldn't force it. Not yet, anyway.