Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


Chapter 2

Kieran Villegas sat with his chest bare and legs crossed in his meditation chamber, concentrating on keeping his mind clear. His breathing was calm and his heart rate was steady. This was one of times of the day that he looked forward to…the rare down time for himself. He always looked forward to it. It was a time for reflection, a time that didn’t involve thinking or problem solving. It was a time to just relax, without a mission or an order looming over his head. Then, his time was abruptly interrupted. Right in the middle of meditating, there was a knock on his door. Kieran ignored the knocking and tried to keep his thoughts blocked. His older sister, Marina, however, was not letting it happen.

“Key…Key….Kieran Andre Villegas, I know you can hear me,” Marina stated telepathically.

“Just because I can hear you does not mean that I want to hear you, Mari. Go away. I’m meditating,” Kieran replied back telepathically.

“I can’t. We’re all being summoned by the old men. You have 5 minutes,” Marina said telepathically.

Kieran opened his eyes and responded. “What’s this all about?”

“Your guess is as good as mine. Come on, now you have 4 minutes,” Marina responded. Kieran took a deep cleansing breathe and put on a black t-shirt and sneakers. He wondered what was going on now.

Kieran Villegas and only 600 other people in the world were Shiyan Knights, secret protectors of the peace. They were Shiyan orders placed all over the world. Kieran Villegas belonged to the Shiyan Knight order in the United States and his grandfather and father were the head of the council. Shiyan Knights possessed supernatural powers and strength: they could run at the speed of light, they could read minds, could influence the weak minded with simple suggestions, they could move things with their thoughts and they were unbelievably strong. Shiyan Knights worked with government agencies and communities to keep peace among the world. A Shiyan Knight was brave, honorable and always did their duty according to the Shiyan Code, which were rules and guidelines that all Shiyan Knights were mandated to follow.

Shiyan Knights were trained as young as three and were able to began missions when they reached 18. Shiyan Knights were disciplined, caring to a fault, but deadly when they needed to be.

Shiyan Knights were only allowed to marry women with Shiyan Blood and the reason behind the marriages were to continue the Shiyan line. If they fell in love, that was fine, but 99% of Shiyan marriages were not love matches…it was due to compatability alone.

The Council members believed that if a Shiyan Knight did love, he or she would forget their duties and the reason they have gifts and powers: to keep the peace and to help others. They also believed that love clouded judgment and made Shiyans fearful, which was a no-no.

Many Knights disobeyed the code and were banished from the order. Kieran thought that the code was antiquated and unrealistic, but he was told that for 500 years, the Shiyan Knights have lived by the Code and they would live by them forever.

Kieran thought of these things as he walked to the Council War Room on the first floor of the Shiyan mansion. Reese was standing next to Marina and Tisa Lesarago, a Lemberti Shiyan Knight that was foretold would be his wife. The woman was so obedient that he couldn’t stand it. But, she was a good Shiyan Knight and beautiful. Even still, Kieran could not imagine spending his life with her. Kieran did not understand that they fought for peace and the right for others to live free and happily, but they were forced to live without those ideals. Kieran felt that something else or someone else was waiting for him and he wanted more than what his mother and father had which was amicable companionship without love. Kieran took the seat next to Marina.

“Hi Kieran,” Tisa said smiling sweetly at Kieran.

“Hello, Tisa,” Kieran replied nodding to her and looking forward. After that smile that she gave him, he definitely did not want to smile back and encourage her…nope, definitely not.

“You had 2 minutes left, little brother. I thought you weren’t going to make it,” Marina whispered.

“I’m here now, so you can relax and be quiet…please, be quiet. Anyone know what this is about?” Kieran asked.

“The big dogs called this pow wow. Why would the underlings know about this?” Reese asked. Reese Monteblanc was Kieran’s best friend. His father was also on the council. Reese was what most Shiyan elders feared…young and fearless…too fearless. Reese was always being reprimanded for something and was close to being banished from the order when he was younger. His earlier years did show some recklessness, but he was a great Knight nonetheless.

Reese’s father, Anthony Monteblanc called them to order and they all stood. There was an immediate silence. Kieran’s father, Vincent Villegas stepped to the podium with his tall, imposing frame and they continued to stand.

“You may be seated,” Vincent Villegas, head of the Shiyan Eastern US Order stated.

“I know you all are wondering why we assembled you here. There are a lot of situations occurring at once, so very extensive and delicate assignments will be given. I know that we usually attend to US assignments only, but the European Order needs our assistance. The Renaldi Shiyans will be sent to the Sudan to assist the United Nations with the genocide that is occurring there. The Corlati Shiyans will assist with negotiations with China and North Korea. The Verlandi Shiyans will assist with issues in Afghanistan…it’s becoming even worse there. There are other issues that we have to assist with, but at this time, those are the most pressing. I don’t have to tell you to be careful and follow the code. If you have any questions, contact your Council Order Leaders. That will be all,” Vincent Villegas replied to the crowd, blocking his thoughts from them as he spoke to his only son telepathically.

“Kieran, I need to see you, Reese, Marina and Angelo in my office. Now. It is of grave importance,” Vincent replied as he walked towards his office.

Kieran sighed as he tapped Angelo Rimeras, Reese and Marina. “We’ve been summoned. Let’s go.” The four looked at each other and began to walk towards his father’s office.

6’4, jet black wavy hair with a few gray hairs, gray eyes and an imposing nature, Vincent Villegas was a very powerful Shiyan Knight. He knew that one day he would have to step down and Kieran would have to take his place. He knew that his son did not agree with some of their ways, but he was full Shiyan and he had no choice. Kieran would be stepping into his shoes one day and that was that.

Kieran, Reese, Angelo and Marina stepped into the office. They looked at Vincent, Anthony Monteblanc and Daren Valaso, Diagrave Shiyan Council Leaders. Anthony gestured for them all to have a seat.

“So, who do we have to rescue now?” Reese asked. His father gave him a look and Reese was silent.

Vincent looked around at the group and gestured for someone to come in. A tall, African American man walked into the room and looked around cautiously. Vincent walked over and clapped a reassuring hand on the man’s shoulder, which caused him to relax.

“Dr. Matthew Nichols, this is Reese, Angelo, my daughter Marina and my son Kieran. This is the world renowned Dr. Matthew Nichols,” Vincent replied.

Their eyes all widened. “Dr. Matthew Nichols. You discovered the cure for sickle cell anemia, am I right?” Marina asked.

“Yes, I did,” he said solemnly.

“And you are currently working on a cure for spina bifida?” Marina asked once more.

“Right again, Marina…but since my lab has been destroyed, that may be difficult,” Dr. Nichols replied. Vincent clapped his friend on the shoulder once more and began to speak.

“I’ve called you all here because you are the best and I trust you the most. Matthew and I go way back to college. We have always been close friends. This man saved my life once and I am now in a position to return the favor. Matthew has found a cure for HIV/AIDS,” Vincent replied as everyone gasped then began to clap.

Matthew nodded solemnly once more, “Thank you. That’s how I reacted, at first. Now, I don’t know if I’ll live to see it actually help anyone.”

“That’s why I called you. Matthew’s wife Donna was due back in the states several days ago. Matthew called me and asked for my help. I sent a few investigators out and they found Matthew’s wife dead in her car at the airport yesterday. Someone has killed Matthew’s wife and they have been trying to get to him, because of this cure,” Vincent replied rubbing his friend’s shoulder.

“So basically, someone isn’t happy about this cure? Why? I mean, I’m happy…shouldn’t most people be?” Angelo asked.

“No, because there’s more money in treating the symptoms than curing the disease. Someone doesn’t want this cure to be released to the public,” Marina replied.

“And they’ve gotten to the bulk of Matthew’s laboratory staff. We have a few safely hidden, but we weren’t quick enough for the others,” Daren Valaso replied.

“The Lemberti Shiyan are protecting the rest of his staff, before you ask son,” Anthony Monteblanc told his son Reese.

“So where do we fit in this equation?” Reese asked.

“Yes, I mean, you have Dr. Nichols and the cure. He’s safe. What’s next?” Angelo asked.

“Security and investigation, of course,” Kieran replied as they looked at him.

“You’re right Kieran. We need to find out who is behind this,” Vincent replied as Daren passed out photos and information.

“These are three of our leading suspects: John Volmer of Volmer Pharmaceuticals, Trent Darby of Worthington Pharm Corp and Walter Julian of JulCorp Pharmaceuticals,” Anthony replied.

Kieran and the others looked closely at the information, then they were passed another packet of information with a photo attached. When Kieran looked at the photo, his heart almost stopped beating. Clear, dark brown eyes beckoned to him from the photo and the owner was a beautiful, young woman with gorgeous mahogany skin and long, dark hair. She was absolutely beautiful, he thought as he blocked his thoughts from his father and his team. Reese somehow managed to slip in.

“This is Matthew’s daughter, Emory. She’s probably the next target and doesn’t even know it. Your job is to….,” Anthony began.

“You’re slippin, Kieran. Wow, look at that, huh? What a fox! I wouldn’t mind being locked away with her,” Reese said telepathically.

“She’s a part of the assignment, Reese which means she’s off limits,” Kieran replied as he stared at the young woman on the photograph.

“I heard your thoughts about how beautiful she is, Kieran. I know you want her,” Reese goaded.

“Okay, she’s beautiful. It’s a fact. Nothing wrong with stating the obvious. But she’s our charge for protection…nothing more, nothing less. Understand?” Kieran telepathically replied with a little more emphasis then he should have.

“Yeah, I got it. Remember those words yourself, Kieran,” Reese stated as they unblocked and concentrated on what his father was saying. His father looked at him strangely, but didn’t say anything.

“Marina and Daren, you two will begin investigating the companies along with Anthony. Reese and Kieran, you are to retrieve Emory…,”

“Emory? Is that her name?” Reese asked as Kieran repeated her name in his mind unbeknown to his team.

“Yes. If you wouldn’t have been drooling all over her picture, you would have heard that,” Marina replied telepathically to Reese.

“Smart ass,” Reese replied back.

“…and bring her to the Calypso safe house until we get to the bottom of this. Her father will be here with me. Does everyone understand their assignment? “ Vincent replied as a question came to Kieran’s mind.

“Yes, son?” Vincent inquired.

“Dr. Nichols, does Emory have any close friends, a boyfriend?” Kieran asked as Reese gave a knowing grin.

“No boyfriend that I’m aware of, but she does have her Siamese twin and roommate Sienna Michaelson. They are best friends,” Matthew stated.

Kieran realized that he let loose a low sigh of relief concerning the boyfriend issue and Reese gave him a slow grin. Kieran ignored him and continued to speak. “So Sienna will have to come as well. If she’s very close to Emory, someone may hurt her to get to Emory. “

“I don’t think it’s a good idea to keep them together. Of course, Sienna needs protection but our primary concern is Emory. Kieran and Reese need to be available to protect her,” Angelo replied.

“You do have a point, but this will all be very shocking to her and she will be scared. I think having her friend with her would help her get used to the situation, make her more comfortable,” Kieran stated as Reese looked over at him.

“You make a good point, Kieran. So, Angelo, you will assist Kieran and Reese with both Emory and Sienna,” Anthony replied.

“Yes, sir,” Angelo answered.

“Bring both of them back to the Calypso house, keep them safe and await my orders. If you are in eminent danger, you two know what to do. That is all. Kieran and Matthew a word please,” Vincent replied as Kieran followed him into the adjourning room.

“Yes, father,” Kieran asked.

“This man is like a brother to me. Take good care of Emory, Kieran. Protect her with your life. Do whatever you have to do to keep her safe. Understand?” Vincent replied.

“I will do my best to make sure she is safe, Dr. Nichols,” Kieran stated reassuringly.

“Don’t let anyone hurt my baby. She’s all that I have left,” Dr. Matthew Nichols responded.

“No harm will come to her sir. You have my word,” Kieran replied confidently.

“Thank you,” Dr. Nichols replied shaking Kieran’s outstretched hand. Kieran turned to leave.

“Be careful son. Remember to contact me when you get to the Calypso House,” his father replied.

“I will father. Dr. Nichols,” Kieran replied, nodding his head in their direction and walking out of the door. Kieran walked swiftly back to his suite and quickly began to pack. Kieran had a weird feeling about this assignment and he knew the beautiful girl that he had to protect had a lot to do with it.