Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


Chapter 19

Brandon sat in the waiting room not speaking to anyone and not moving. He couldn’t really form a coherent thought that would leave his mouth at that time. He couldn’t move. Truth be told, he was scared to breath. The only thing that was on his mind was Danielle, their baby and the both of them making it through.

His mind was going in a million directions. Why hadn’t Danielle told him? I mean, he hadn’t noticed any changes in her. She was the same size, she wasn’t eating more than usual and Danielle could eat…his baby loved to eat, he thought as a small smile quickly crossed his handsome features, then disappeared as he thought back to her current status. But he didn’t recognize anything…no mood swings, no weight gain, no food cravings…

Brandon’s head went back as he thought about the food cravings. Pizza. How could he be so blind? Danielle had been eating pizza at least three times a week, but he didn’t think anything of it because she loved pizza. But the last couple of weeks, Danielle had been requesting pizza for lunch on a certain day and dinner the next. That’s when Brandon put his foot down and said enough is enough. He told her that pizza was coming out of his ears and that they would have to find something else to eat, or cook. Once the pizza issue had been tossed back and forth, they would find a happy medium and that was the end of that.

All of this had him thinking that she may not have known. One thing Danielle didn’t do and that was keep things from him. Danielle was always honest with him, to the point that it was brutal in some instances. She couldn’t have known she was pregnant. She would have talked to him about it.

And how did he feel about it? He and Danielle circled around the idea of having kids and getting married, but it wasn’t because he didn’t want it. He wanted to marry her, but Danielle told him in her own way during a conversation that they had previously in regards to the issue that she wasn’t ready for any of that and because he loved her, he just left it alone.

But now things were different. When she pulled through (and she would…she had to), they would have a lot of things to discuss in regards to the baby. He would want her to move into his place permanently and he wouldn’t take no for an answer. He just wouldn’t. He knew that she would probably make a fuss about it at, but he definitely knew what he had to do in order to persuade her…and he would do just that.

Truth be told, he wanted her to move in with him yesterday, but Danielle was a free spirit and very independent. She liked having her own space. She enjoyed staying at his place a few days a week, and she liked him coming over to her place…as she told him. But, when Danielle spoke to him a few days ago about Janae’s wedding, there was a spark, an excitement in her eyes and he knew that although she didn’t think she wanted all of that, she did. Brandon smiled in his mind at the thought because he didn’t mind giving her all of that and he definitely didn’t mind having a baby.

Brandon could see himself as a father. He knew he would love his child wholeheartedly. His father worked a lot, but he was always there for him. His mother didn’t spend much time with he, Perrin or Dabny and left them in the care of nannies because she was always busy with this charity or society meeting or organization ball. He was over it, but he vowed that when he had the chance to become a father, the woman who would be the mother would not be anything like his mother. Danielle was completely opposite of her.

His mind went back to Danielle. He just wanted to see those beautiful brown eyes of hers. Just as he began to think of her again, he felt a hand on his shoulder. He looked up and saw that it was Dabny’s hand. He stood and she hugged him.

“How is she? Has she come out of surgery yet?” Dabny asked.

“Not yet. We’re still waiting,” Brandon replied as his sister held him.

“I’m so sorry, sweetie,” Dabny said as she rubbed his back.

“Yeah…thanks,” he replied as he pulled away from her and saw Perrin and his mother approaching. What was she doing here?

Perrin pulled him close then asked as their quick embrace ended, “How are you doing? Do you want anything to eat, something to drink?”

“No, but thanks, Perrin,” Brandon replied as Penelope embraced him. Brandon was kind of thrown for a loop, but he decided not to say anything…at least, not yet.

“Your father is still in London, darling. He sends his prayers,” Penelope Lanero, replied.

“I know. He called me. I spoke with him,” Brandon replied, eyeing his mother warily. Then, he asked the question that had been plaguing him since her arrival.

“Mother, why are you here?” Brandon asked.

“Because I’m your mother and you’re in pain. What’s happened to Danielle was terrible and I know you must be feeling all kinds of things. I just want to be here for you, to support you,” Penelope said.

“That’s new and totally sudden. You hate Danielle. You think she’s a gold-digger and oh, she’s black…you can’t stand the fact that we’re together. Why would you even give a damn?” Brandon asked as Penelope stared at him, a look of shock and guilt on her face.

“Because I love you and you love her. Although I don’t approve of your relationship with her, I don’t hate her and I don’t want her to die. What kind of person do you think I am?” Penelope asked.

“I wouldn’t know. You’ve never given me a chance to get to know you. Please, just…I can’t deal with this right now,” Brandon replied angrily as Penelope looked at him as he turned away from her. Perrin grabbed her by the shoulders from the back and said, “Come with me, mother. Let’s get something to drink.”

Dabny watched Perrin guide their mother away, thanking God that he did that. Brandon didn’t want her around at the moment and she very well couldn’t blame him. But, she had to talk to him anyway. Her brother was a sweetheart and him treating Penelope the way she treated them wouldn’t help him.

Dabny sat down and watched her brother pace back and forth. “You’ve been waiting a long time to say that to her, haven’t you?”

Brandon looked at Dabny and replied, “Yes, I have. She deserved that.”

“Oh, I agree that she did. She deserves that and much more, but the brother that I know forgives and forgets. He gives others a second chance. The entire time we were on the way over here, the only thing she wanted was to get to you and to see how you were doing. Lately, she’s been trying to make amends, Bran. She invited Tam and I over to dinner twice last month,” Dabny replied as Brandon looked up at her.

“Really?” he asked.

“Yeah. I’m not telling you to not be wary, I’m just telling you that you’re bigger than that and even though she wasn’t there in the past, she’s here now,” Dabny replied.

“Dab, I hear what you’re saying, but she can’t stand Dani. Dani’s never done anything but love me and she hates her because she’s black and that's just fuckin' ignorant. I’m not going to let her bash my girl when she’s fighting for her life. I'm not going to let her talk bad about the woman that I love...period,” Brandon replied.

“I understand that. Look, I know she’s not going to be mommy of the year overnight, but she’s coming to grips with the things she can’t control and that’s our lives and the people we love. We’ve actually been talking and she just wants to be apart of our lives. Just…give her a chance. She’s really trying, Bran. And you know she must be if it’s coming out of my mouth,” Dabny replied.

“Fine, but I can’t really think about that right now. The only thing that’s on my mind is the baby and Dani…mother’s gonna have to wait in line,” Brandon replied as Dabny smiled.

“Danielle’s pregnant?” Dabny asked.

“Yeah,” he said solemnly as Dabny stood up to stand in front of him. She took his hands in hers and smiled.

“Listen to me. Danielle and my niece or nephew are going to be fine…just you watch. And I’ll bulldog mother…she won’t bother you. If she goes there, I'll put her in check. I promise. Come here,” she whispered as she hugged Brandon to her as he cried.

*********************************************************

Janae sat in the chapel with Tavin after the rest of the women went back to wait on news about Danielle. Janae prayed with her sister as Tavin held her in her arms. Tavin didn’t want to drop the bomb about Lawrence Bromwell’s death and the incident with Aunt Paulina while Danielle’s life hang in the balance. She would wait until Danielle and the baby were given the all clear before she told Janae. Hopefully, Hurricane Delia wouldn’t attempt to seek their assistance. Who was Tavin trying to fool? If Delia would go to a sister that she hadn’t spoken to in over 30 years, she definitely was on her way to the NY to try and talk Janae out of some cash. But, Tavin wasn’t having that.

“Ms. Theresa is on her way. Cameron and Nichelle are going to go and pick her up from the airport and bring her here when her flight gets in,” Tavin replied.

“Thanks, Tavy. I don’t know what I’d do if you weren’t here,” Janae whispered as her sister kissed her on the forehead.

“You don’t have to worry about that for a very, long time…okay?” Tavin asked as Janae shook her head yes.

“Danielle’s not just my best friend, Tavy…she’s my sister. When you weren’t there, she was and I…I’ve been through so much and she was right there, you know,” Janae replied.

“I know that, Doodles. I love that girl like she’s my sister, too. I remember the first time I met Danielle…you were about 12…that’s when you began to come and visit me and you brought her with you for Thanksgiving, remember? That child was the skinniest kid that I have ever seen. She was always talking, but she was always laughing. I was so glad you had someone like I had Nichelle…it was as if God placed them in our lives because he knew we would need them. So, I don’t think God would take her away now. You have to think positively about this. She’s going to be back to telling us dirty jokes in no time,” Tavin said as they both laughed. Janae sat up a little and leaned her head on her sister’s shoulder, holding her hand.

“Yeah. She can’t go anywhere. I don’t know what I’d do without that crazy girl. Tavy, I didn’t know that she was pregnant, so I don’t think she knew. Danielle would have told me. I’m going to be a teedy again, Tavy,” Janae said in awe, thinking about her friend having a baby.

“Yes, you are. That’s how you have to think, Doodles. Danielle’s a tough little cookie. She’s not just going to go away. She’s going to pull through this,” Tavin replied as Janae nodded in agreement.

Taylor decided to check on Janae just to see how she was doing and when he walked in on them, Tavin stood up and smiled at him. Janae looked at him expectantly.

“Is there any news?” Janae asked.

“Not yet,” Taylor replied.

“I’m going to go and make a few phone calls and check on everyone, okay? Be strong, Doodles,” Tavin replied as she watched her sister nod her head. Tavin walked out of the chapel and Taylor slid in the pew next to Janae and wrapped his arm around her shoulder. Janae immediately took his other hand in hers and squeezed it.

“Hey, sweetheart. How are you holding up?” Taylor asked.

“I’m hanging. How’s B?” Janae asked, referring to Brandon.

“Holding on by a wing and a prayer. His sister, Perrin and his mother…can you believe that….along with Josslyn are sitting with him now. I came to check on you because I know how close you and Dani are. I was worried about you, Janae,” Taylor replied as he picked up her hand and ran his finger in circles along the wrist and inside of her palm.

Janae looked at him, then dropped her head to watch his fingers drift across her palm. “I’m fine. I just don’t want my friend and my future godchild to die. That’s amazing, isn’t it? That Danielle and Brandon made a baby.”

“Yes, it is,” Taylor replied as they quietly sat for a few minutes. Then, Janae spoke.

“She’s gotta pull through, Taylor. Danielle got me through so much and this happens to her? She was in the wrong place at the wrong time and some guy was desperate. It’s not fair, Taylor,” she replied as Taylor still drew circles inside of her palm.

“I know, ‘Nay, but life isn’t fair. Something like this definitely makes you appreciate your life and how precious it is. I’m so glad that you weren’t in that store when it happened. What if you would have gotten there early? Maybe you would have been dealt the same hand as Danielle or worse. I know I sound selfish right now, but I’m so glad that you’re okay,” Taylor asked.

“No, you don’t sound selfish, Tay. You sound like a human being. I was glad that I didn’t get there sooner and Tavin had to talk me out of beating myself up about it. But this certainly makes you come to grips with reality. Tomorrow is not promised to anyone and when Danielle pulls through this, maybe we shouldn’t wait to get married,” Janae replied.

“Huh?” Taylor asked.

“Maybe we should just go to Las Vegas and just do it or just do something very impromptu in a few weeks,” Janae stated.

“Las Vegas? You don’t want to get married in Vegas, baby and you don’t want a rushed wedding. I know you don’t,” Taylor replied.

“But I do want to get married. I want to marry you, Taylor and I want babies,” Janae said. Taylor knew what this was about and where this was coming from. She was afraid for Danielle and she was just afraid about dying at the moment. It was natural, because he sure thought about it as he looked at her.
“And I want to marry you…more than anything, I want you to be my wife and I want to be a dad, but, everything happens for a reason. Babygirl, you can’t be serious about Las Vegas. Nay, when you picture our wedding, do you picture slot machines and $5.00 all-you-can-eat steak dinners?” Taylor asked.

Janae nodded her head in disagreement and laughed a little. “No.”

“No. You told me that you wanted a beautiful, garden wedding, with only our closest family and friends. Baby, don’t give up on your dream wedding because you’re afraid something may happen to you or to me. I don’t want a quickie ceremony in Vegas. I want what we’ve been planning and nothing else,” Taylor said. Janae sighed softly as she leaned into him.

“Me too. It’s just that this is a prime example that bad things happen everyday…when you least expect it and to people that you love. It hurts, that’s all,” Janae whispered.

“I know, sweetheart. Just…we have to keep praying, that’s all. For Danielle and the baby,” Taylor whispered as he kissed her on the top of her head.

“What if the baby doesn’t make it, Taylor? Dani doesn’t know…I’m sure of it. I would have been the first person to know. She wouldn’t have kept that from me…she wouldn’t have kept it from Brandon. What if she loses this baby without getting the chance to grasp that she was pregnant? Do you know what that would do to her? They both have to be okay…they just do,” Janae replied as Taylor hugged her closer to him, listening to her soft cries.

“I know, baby, I know,” he whispered as he held her close, praying for Danielle and the unborn life inside of her.

*********************************************************

Brandon was still pacing as his loved ones and friends waited with him. It had been a few hours, but to Brandon it seemed like days. He was pacing, lost in his thoughts when Tanner hit him on the shoulder. Dr. Fieldberg came out with Felicia and walked towards them. Brandon quickly met him.

“How is she? How’s the baby?” Brandon asked as Dr. Fieldberg gave him a reassuring smile.

“The surgery went well. Ms. Parks is fine and so is the baby. She’s still sedated, but since the surgery was successful, we expect a full recovery. We want to keep her here for at least a week, just to monitor her and the baby, just to be on the safe side,” Dr. Fieldberg replied as Brandon let out a deep breath.

“Can we see her?” Brandon asked as the doctor smiled as he looked around the room.

“All of you can’t see her, but she’s in recovery now. She can have one visitor at a time. Once she’s brought back to her room, she can have at least two visitors,” Dr. Fieldberg replied.

“And you’re sure they’re alright?” Brandon asked once more.

“Yes. Give the orderlies ten minutes to wheel her to recovery and you can see her…remember one at a time,” Dr. Fieldberg replied as Brandon shook his hand, a tear rolling down his face.

“Thank you,” Brandon said.

“You’re welcome. If you’ll excuse me,” Dr. Fieldberg replied as he walked away. Everyone sighed and Janae walked over to Brandon and hugged him.

“I told you our girl was gonna be okay,” Janae replied as Brandon nodded his head.

Felicia was speaking with Tavin and Liza, when Brandon asked, “Felicia, can you make sure that she has a private room? A nice one? I don't care about the cost. I just want her to be comfortable.”

Felicia smiled. “Will do, honey. Now, I have to be in surgery in twenty minutes, but I’ll make that happen. I’m so glad that everything worked out. I’ll come back and check on you guys.” Felicia kissed Janae and Ashley on the cheek, then Brandon and walked away.

Everyone was relieved and when they realized that Danielle was going to be fine, they cleared out and figured Janae, Ashley and Brandon would probably not leave, so they decided they would visit her tomorrow. Taylor and Tanner decided to stay. Danielle’s mother hadn’t arrived yet.

As she was leaving, Penelope touched Brandon’s cheek. “I’m glad that she’s alright, Brandon.”

“Thank you, mother,” he replied.

“I’ll be back tomorrow,” she replied.

“Mother, there’s no need. I know how you feel about Danielle and I don’t want you here stressing her when she needs time to recuperate,” he replied.

“I wouldn’t do that. I know that I didn’t approve of Danielle and I said some hurtful things, and I’m sorry. I know I haven’t been perfect, but I would like to get the chance to know her and my grandchild…and you. If that’s alright with you?” Penelope asked. Brandon had never heard her like this. Maybe she was changing.

Penelope had three wonderful children that she knew nothing about. She realized that was her fault and she wanted to make amends. She had begun with Perrin and Dabny, making small steps, but Brandon was going to be difficult. Brandon was always a caring young man, but once he you crossed that line and he was angry, it was quite different thing altogether.

“I’ll think about it, mother, but you really were awful to her. I’ll have to ask her,” Brandon replied as Penelope nodded.

“I understand. I know I haven’t said it much, but I love you, Brandon. I’m glad she and the baby are alright. Try to get some rest,” Penelope replied as she kissed him on the cheek and walked away with Perrin and Dabny. Brandon let out a deep breath as a nurse came out and told them that it was fine to see Danielle.

“You go first, Brandon. We’ll wait,” Janae replied as Brandon smiled.

“Thanks, ‘Nay,” Brandon replied as he followed the nurse to the recovery room where Danielle was.

“Now, she’s still unconscious, so she won’t be awake,” the nurse replied. Danielle was lying in the bed, her head and her arm bandaged.

“Thank you,” Brandon replied as the nurse departed out of the recovery room. Brandon pulled a chair right next to her left bedside. Brandon leaned down and kissed her on the lips, then her cheek. He gently picked up her left hand and held it, kissing her knuckles as he stared at her.

“Hi baby, it’s me. I’m right here. Whenever you decide to open those pretty brown eyes, I’ll be right here. Thank you, God. Thank you,” he whispered as he kissed her hand, thanking God that she was alright.

*********************************************************
Three days later

Brandon basically camped out in Danielle’s room once she was out of recovery. Between Ashley, Janae, Brandon and Ms. Theresa, Danielle’s mother, she had constant company. She was always in and out of consciousness, never in long enough to speak to anyone. Brandon just wouldn’t leave. He left out of the room for a minute to make a phone call as Janae and Ms. Theresa sat and watched Danielle. A few minutes later, Danielle moaned lightly and her eyes fluttered. They fluttered until she slowly opened them and kept them open and asked for Brandon.

“Baby, it’s me mama,” Theresa Parks said as she caressed her daughters face.

“And Janae, Dani,” Janae piped in from the other side, holding her hand.

“Hey, mama...hey J. I take it I’m not at home, right?” Danielle asked as Janae laughed.

“No, girlie. You’re still in the hospital,” Janae replied.

“How do you feel, baby?” Theresa Parks asked.

“Like I’ve been shot,” Danielle said with a small smile and a low laugh. Her throat felt like a barren desert.

“Don’t make jokes like that, little girl,” Theresa Parks warned.

“I won’t, my bad mama. Can I get some water, please? My throat’s so dry,” Danielle replied as her tongue darted out to lick her dry lips. Janae poured her a small cup of water and handed it to Ms. Theresa. Theresa lifted it to her daughter’s lips and watched with relief as she sipped the liquid from the cup.

“Not so fast, baby. Drink slow,” Theresa said as Danielle continued to sip the water from the mauve colored, plastic cup. When she drank enough, the cup was taken from her lips and she licked her lips once more.

“Umm, that was good. Where’s Brandon?” Danielle asked as she looked around.

“He stepped out to make some calls, Dani. He’ll be back soon,” Janae replied as Danielle nodded.

“That boy would not leave. He has been here all day, everyday, fussing over you, growling at the nurses and whatnot,” Theresa replied.

“Oooh, he growled and I missed that? I bet he looked hot,” Danielle replied with a grin.

“Get your mind out of the gutter and focus,” Janae replied with a grin to her friend.

“He’s been stubborn and taking up the right side of that bed everyday. He left to go and take a shower because I made him and he came right back here. I see why you’re over the moon, little girl. He’s fine. I didn’t know white boys were that fine until I came here and remembered how fine that boy Tavin married and Janae’s fiancee’,” Theresa replied.

“Now you see why I didn’t want to leave?” Danielle asked as they laughed.

“Yeah. But I do know one thing for sure…he did not want to go anywhere. That boy loves him some Danielle,” Theresa replied as Danielle smiled.

“I know he does…can you blame him?” Danielle asked in a scratchy, low voice.

Janae smiled. “Oh yeah…she’s awake.”

“I’m just stating a fact,” Danielle croaked out as she looked to the door and saw Brandon slowly walking through.

“She’s awake?” he asked as he quickly walked over to the bed. Janae smiled at him and pat his shoulder.

“Yes, she is,” Janae replied as Brandon took the hand Janae dropped and picked it up. Brandon caressed her face with his hand and smiled at her.

“Hey beautiful. I missed those eyes…I missed you,” he whispered, forgetting Janae and Theresa were in the room.

“I wasn’t gone that long, was I?” Danielle asked, licking her lips.

“Three days…do you know how weird that was…not being able to see your eyes or hear your voice for three whole days?” Brandon asked as he continued to caress her face, taking in every part of it.

“Yeah, and it’s usually a blessing when you don’t hear her for a little while,” Janae said with a grin.

“Forget you, J. Just because you’re getting married, don’t think you’re grown,” Danielle whispered as Janae smiled.

“Whatever, chic. Ms. Theresa, you still want a ride back to Danielle’s? I think these two want to be alone,” Janae replied as Theresa smiled.

“Yeah, I could use a shower and a nap. Besides, she’s in good hands. We’ll be back soon, baby,” Theresa replied as she kissed Danielle on her forehead and pat Brandon his back.

“Okay, mama,” Danielle croaked out.

“Take care of my baby while I’m gone,” Theresa told Brandon.

“You don’t have to worry about that, Ms. Theresa. I’m not gonna let anything happen to her,” Brandon said as he smiled at Danielle and held her hand.

“I know. We’ll be back,” Theresa replied as she and Janae walked out of the room and closed the door. Brandon leaned over and kissed Danielle on her lips.

“Hey you,” he whispered.

“Hey,” she whispered back as she smiled.

“You had us worried to death. Don’t do that again,” he replied as she smiled.

“I’ll try not to,” she said.

“I’m just so happy to see you awake. You have no idea,” he replied as he stared into her eyes.

“I’m happy to see you, too. I heard that you wouldn’t leave and you were being mean and growling,” Danielle replied as he smiled.

“Growling?” he asked.

“Yeah…at the nurses, at anyone who wanted to make you leave. That’s kind of creepy…and hot,” Danielle said as he laughed.

“Well, if you want, when you get out of here and the doctor says its okay, I’ll growl for you whenever you want,” he replied.

“Deal,” Danielle said.

“Don't worry, I'll hold up my end of the bargain. And to answer you, hell no I wasn't leaving and I didn't...I refused...until your mom made me. She’s kind of scary,” Brandon replied as Danielle smiled.

“Tell me something I don’t know,” Danielle replied.

“I didn’t want to leave you. I know Janae, Ashley, Tav and your mom were here, but I just couldn’t leave you. I just couldn’t. I’m going to have to do something about you, woman. I can’t let you out of my sight. Too many things happen when I’m not around,” he replied as she smiled.

“Bran, this was just something that happened. I was in the wrong place, baby,at the wrong time,” Danielle replied.

“I know, but you could have died, Dani. I don’t want to lose you,” he whispered as she smiled, her right hand slowly coming up to stroke his cheek. Her injury was in her left shoulder.

“You’re not gonna lose me. I’m right here,” she whispered.

“I know. I’m so glad of that,” he replied as she looked and felt something on her flat stomach.

“What’s this?” Danielle asked. Brandon took in a breath and smiled at her.

“A fetal monitor…it’s monitoring the baby,” he replied as she laid her head back and sighed.

“So I am pregnant,” she whispered. Brandon kissed her hands.

“Yes and this baby is one tough little cookie…just like it’s mommy,” he replied.

Danielle smiled. “That’s good.”

“Did you know that you were…,” Brandon began but Danielle interrupted him.

“Pregnant? That’s why I didn’t want you to come into the store. I was going to get a test and go with Janae back to her crib to see if I was preggers. I was going to tell her that I thought I was going to be a mama when she arrived. I had an idea when my period failed to appear, so I was going to take the test and tell you when I saw you later that day,” Danielle whispered.

“Oh,” he replied as she began to speak again.

“Are you okay with this, Brandon, because, I want this baby and I’m not getting an abortion and…,” Danielle said, but was cut off by Brandon kissing her softly on the lips.

“That answer your question?” he asked with a grin.

“You want this baby?” she asked hesitantly.

“Baby, of course I do. I want the baby and I want you. Why would you think otherwise?” Brandon asked.

“It’s just that it’s so sudden and we didn’t expect this and I figured you wouldn’t want to…,” she replied as he interrupted her.

“That’s bullshit and you know it. You know that I’m crazy about you. I’m happy as hell about this. So stop worrying if I want this. I do. You have no idea how badly I do,” he replied.

Danielle gazed into his gorgeous face and smiled. “That’s what I wanted you to say.”

“I know, and I mean it,” he replied.

“I know. So, how long before I can blow this pop stand?” Danielle asked.

“Four, maybe five days. Then, you’re coming home with me where I’m going to lock you up so this doesn’t happen again,” he replied as he leaned down and rubbed his nose across hers. Danielle smiled.

“Can I have pizza with extra cheese, and sausage?” Danielle asked and he laughed as he looked into her eyes. The back of his hand caressed her cheek.

“You can have whatever you want, sweetheart,” he replied.

“Oh, I like this,” she replied.

“You should. Baby…I love you,” he whispered.

“I love you, too, sweetie,” she whispered. Brandon leaned towards her belly and kissed it as she smiled and ran her fingers through his hair.

“Hey little person in there…I love you, too. But you gotta work with me. We have to do what we can to keep mommy away from violent situations,” Brandon replied as Danielle laughed as he continued to whisper to her stomach. She loved this man so much, she thought as her fingers ran through his thick, dark hair.

“Brandon this is New York…shit happens,” Danielle replied.

“I know but…I don’t want this to happen again. I was scared, baby. Really scared,” he admitted, loving the way her fingers rubbed his scalp.

“I was too. I felt that hot, searing pain and all I could think about was you and then there was nothing. But, God didn’t want me or the baby to leave here yet. I’m here, Brandon. I’m sore, but I’m alive and that’s enough for me. This was just a wake-up call. You have to live everyday to the fullest, with the people that you love the most. You only get one shot at this life gig and I’m going to enjoy every minute of it,” Danielle replied as Brandon slowly sat up.

“You have a point. So this is how it’s gonna go down, Ms. Parks. You’re moving in with me and I don’t want to hear the crap…you’re coming and that's that,” he replied.

“Alright, Mr. Lanero, I'll move in with you. Besides, I like your place better anyway. Ooh…I like it when you boss me around, Brandon. That’s so sexy,” Danielle replied as she gave him a look. He laughed and kissed her hand.

“Danielle, come on, baby. You are in no condition for me to put it on you like I want to, so stop with the looks,” he replied.

“Oh, you’re no fun,” Danielle said as he grinned.

“Whatever. I told you, I’m not letting you out of my sight, so deal with it. I just want to be with you forever, baby,” Brandon said as Danielle smiled.

“I want that too,” Danielle said.

“Marry me, Dani,” he whispered as she smiled.

“You’re not doing this because you knocked me up and because of this accident because…,” Danielle began, but he placed his fingers on her lips.

“God, you’re beautiful, but you don’t know when to shut up. Danielle, you know me. Part of it is because of me almost losing you, but I’ve been thinking about this for a long time and like I told you when we first started…I want all of you, not some of you. So, I'm going to ask this a little better and I hope you give me the answer that I want. Danielle Nicollette Parks…will you be my wife?” Brandon asked, not realizing he was holding his breath.

“Yes. I mean, I guess I could grace you with my presence for the next 50, 60 years,” Danielle replied as he leaned over and kissed her.

“Gee, thanks,” Brandon replied as she smiled, his heart almost beating out of his chest.

“Now, where’s my shiny rock thingy?” Danielle asked as he laughed.

“Um, newsflash, sweetheart. I’ve been here for the last three days…no time to shop. But I promise as soon as I get the chance, I’m gonna grace that pretty little hand with something that’s gonna take your breath away. Alright?” Brandon asked as she sighed, still smiling at her current state of happiness. Brandon wanted her to be his wife and he wanted the baby. She didn’t think she was capable of having someone like Brandon, but now that she had him, she wouldn’t let him go.

“You better. Now could you do something for me?” she asked.

“Anything, baby,” he answered.

“Growl,” she whispered and he laughed, then kissed her on the tip of her nose, making a low growling sound in his throat as she laughed.

“Now that’s hot,” she whispered as he kissed softly on the lips then placed his lips on her stomach through her gown, kissing her there once more, feeling grateful and fully blessed that God had answered his prayers.