Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


Chapter 21

“Where do you want this box, Doodles?” Cameron asked as Janae looked over at him with a cardboard box filled to the brim with CD’s in his arms.

“Can you put it in the office, please Cam?” Janae replied as Taylor brought in another tote filled with Janae’s shoes. Kendall and Ashton were playing X-Box while the grown-ups around them lifted boxes and unpacked boxes.

“No problem, lil sis,” he replied as he walked away with the box towards the office.

“Thanks, Cam, and gracias to you Tavy for the good grub. It’s just what we’re gonna need after moving all this stuff,” Janae replied.

“You’re welcome, sweetie. Taylor, don’t eat all of the sweet potato pie from Doodles this time…you know it’s her favorite,” Tavin replied as Taylor grinned.

“But, Tav your sweet potato pie is my favorite, too and you know that. Please tell me that you squeezed in some extra for me like I pleaded so that Janae would at least get a whole piece this time…maybe two?” Taylor asked, giving Tavin a puppydog face that got her everytime.

“You know I did, greedy. You’re lucky I love your butt,” Tavin replied as she lightly popped him on the back of the head.

“Hey T, stop pastry pimpin’ my wife and get back to moving your girl’s stuff,” Cameron replied.

“Aw Cam, are you jealous?” Taylor asked trying to get under his brother’s skin.

“Could never be, son. That’s all mine, ain’t that right, Lovely?” Cameron asked as he looked at his pretty wife who smiled brightly.

“Yep…it sure is…until he croaks. Then I’ll be lookin’ for a hustla,” Tavin said with a wink to her husband as Janae bent over by the waist and laughed. Taylor laughed as well.

“Wait ‘til we get home, woman. I’m gonna show you a hustla. You better quit playing or I’m gonna ration the goods,” Cameron said.

“You…ration the goods? You know you love all this. You can’t get enough of this. Boy, you must be crazy. Ration the goods. Yeah right. And hookers give freebies,” Tavin replied.

“Mommy, isn’t a hooker a lady that doesn’t wear enough clothes and gets way too much exercise…at least that’s what Teedy Danielle said about Ms. Rhonda, Jasmine’s mommy. Teedy Danielle said that Ms. Rhonda spends a lot of time working out on her back,” Kendall replied, her eyes not leaving the game on the TV. Taylor and Cameron burst out laughing and Tavin’s mouth was wide open. Janae laughed some more.

“I’ve heard that word, too. Don’t you remember, Kendie…that’s what Teedy Janae called Ms. Lisa who lives down the hall. I think it means a lady who wears too much make-up because she does. She sometimes looks like a raccoon because she has all that black crayon stuff around her eyes…ew,” Ashton replied his eyes still glued on the game.

Cameron stopped laughing and said, “Patna’…that’s not nice and don’t either one of you say that word again.”

“I’m going to kill Danielle. And Kendall, to answer your question, that word is something that you will never, ever, eva in your lifetime aspire to be or want to be, not as long as I’m walking and breathing you won’t…and that’s all I’m gonna say about it, alright baby?” Tavin asked in that no nonsense tone of voice.

“Yes, mommy,” Kendall said as her eyes stayed glued to TV.

“We really have to watch what we say around the kids. That was my bad…and Janae, you know better,” Tavin said.

“I know, but if you would have seen her that day, she was just a hot, skanky mess…,” Janae whispered.

“I see her almost everyday, and yes she looks likes she’s selling it, but please don’t say that around the straws because they suck up anything and everything. It’s bad enough their daddy’s influence doesn’t help…we don’t need to add you to the list,” Tavin whispered.

“I heard that, baby, and I’m going to remember that. Would you guys come on? We only have a few things left and I would like to go home some time today and spend some HT with the missus,” Cameron replied as he came back and picked up another CD tote. Tavin just shook her head, muttering something about Cameron being a jackass.

“HT?” Janae asked.

Taylor came over and whispered in Janae’s ear, “Horizontal time, babygirl...you know.” Taylor looked to see if his niece and nephew were looking his way, then he did the humping motion with his arm and hips as Janae laughed.

“Ew…I don’t want to hear that. I had enough of those two groping and stuff to last me a lifetime…no more visuals please,” Janae replied.

“I wish we only had visuals of all these damn shoes, ‘Nay. Babygirl, you only have two feet and you can only wear one pair of shoes at a time. This is some insane type of shit! Why do you own a million fuckin’ pair of shoes?” Taylor asked as he walked with the tote into his bedroom.

“Taylor…watch your mouth! The kids,” Tavin replied.

“They didn’t hear that. Their eyes are glued to the TV,” Taylor replied.

“Yes we did,” Kendall and Ashton replied as the same time.

Tavin narrowed her eyes at Taylor as he said, “Supersonic hearing lil shi….My bad, Tav. Don’t say those words you two. They make your tongue fall out.”

“I don’t know how true that is, Uncle T, because daddy wouldn’t have a tongue,” Ashton stated.

“Yeah, we hear plenty of bad words that we don’t repeat. Happens all the time, right daddy?” Kendall replied as Janae laughed with Taylor. Cameron looked away as he walked back out of the room.

“What was that, munchkin? Daddy’s getting old. I didn’t hear that,” Cameron replied
as Tavin shot daggers his way.

“I’m sure you didn’t. How many times have I asked you not to curse around the kids, Cameron?” Tavin asked as Cameron picked up another box.

“Millions, mommy, but he only curses when he’s really mad. Remember the other day when you called that man a stupid shit because he cut you off in traffic, dad?” Ashton asked, not looking up from his game as Janae and Taylor looked at each other, then laughed.

“Huh…what? I didn’t do that,” Cameron stated.

“Uh huh, yes you did. You told us not to lie, Dad and now you’re doing it. Anyway, you said some other bad words right behind the s word, and you gave the man the finger and shook it at him…remember Kendie?” Ashton asked as Tavin just narrowed her eyes more at Cameron.

“Uh huh,” Kendall replied, her eyes not leaving her game that was currently on Taylor’s 60 inch television.

“You little snitch,” Cameron muttered under his breath as Taylor laughed.

“Boy, you better learn how to fight and quick because if you’re ratting people out, you’re gonna need to learn how to defend yourself on the playground,” Taylor replied.

“Nobody likes a tattle tale, Ash,” Cameron began.

“Oh, I don’t snitch at school, but you told us not to lie to you or mommy and I would have been lying if I didn’t say that you didn’t curse around us because you do, dad,” Ashton replied.

“Lovely, I…,” Cameron began, but

”Uh huh,” Tavin replied, not taking her eyes off of her husband.

“For real, baby, it’s just that this Herman Munster lookin’dude really cut me off badly and I was ticked off and…,” Cameron began.

Tavin put her hand up and continued to glare at her husband. “Save it, Caldwell. The baby busted you.”

“Man, did he bust you,” Taylor piped in.

“Whoa this box is really heavy,” Cameron stated as he tried to change the subject. He walked away still feeling Tavin’s burning glare.

“I’ll give you something heavy, right upside your head! Stop cursing in front to the kids, Cam. If I can sensor myself, so can you. Ash…I don’t want to hear that word come out of your mouth again. Do you hear me?” Tavin asked.

“Yes, mommy,” he replied as he and his sister continued to play their game.

Janae smiled, “To answer your question to the reason I have tons of shoes, T is because I do and I can. Besides…they’re necessary.”

“Absolutely necessary,” Tavin replied as she watched her brother-in-law walk back into the living room and grab another tote. Tavin walked out with hangers of Janae’s blouses and walked into the master bedroom, straight to the master closet. Tavin wondered how long it was going to be before Janae moved in with Taylor. After Janae purchased the old abandoned warehouse for her studio, Taylor told her it was time for her to get used to being with him day and night and Janae happily agreed.

Cameron had returned and grinned at his brother. “Taylor, don’t do it. Don’t go there.”

“Why is it necessary, huh? Nay, you have enough shoes to outfit an entire third world country! Why?” Taylor asked. Janae narrowed her eyes and placed a hand on her hip, placing all of her weight on one leg.

“I said…because they’re necessary. I need those shoes. Do you understand what a need is?” Janae asked.

“Yeah…you need air to breathe, you need food to eat, you need water to drink, you need to fu…,” Taylor began as Tavin walked back out and rolled her eyes at him. Cameron just laughed and picked up another box, walking to the office.

“My bad, Tav…but I didn’t say it!” Taylor said, staring at his sister in law.

“You keep saying my bad. You want me to make it good because I can surely pop the crap out of you…really good! Watch your mouth!” Tavin exclaimed.

“I’m sorry, Tav. Anyway, air, food, water…those are needs. Twenty million pairs of shoes is not a need. It’s a want,” Taylor argued as Janae walked past him to hang up more blouses. When she returned, she picked up another armful and smiled at him.

“No, it’s a need. I need to look fly. I need to coordinate. I need my legs and feet to look good. Any other questions?” Janae asked as she grinned.

“No. I’m gonna stop while I’m ahead because I’m not getting anywhere,” Taylor replied as Cameron laughed.

“And you’re not going to get anywhere, especially with those two. It’s a lost cause. Trust me, I know from experience, remember?” Cameron said as Tavin hurriedly glanced to make sure the kids couldn’t see her when she mouthed, fuck you to Cameron.

“Later sexy, if you can wait that long. I’m married to a nympho,” Cameron said with a grin and a wink as he brought a box of Janae’s clothes into Taylor’s master bedroom.

“Cameron…your mouth! You know this child is gonna ask me…,” Tavin began but was cut off by Kendall.

“Now that’s a weird word. Mommy, what’s a nympho?” Kendall asked, her eyes still glued to the TV.

“Someone that you’d better not ever be…now don’t ask me anything else about it. Cameron, you really want a beating, don’t you?” Tavin asked as Cameron smiled sneakily at her and whispered in her ear.

“Oooh, that’s kind of kinky. Make sure when you tie me up, it’s the good rope and not that cheap shit. You know I bruise easily. And don’t tie ‘em too tight, but just right…you know what daddy likes,” Cameron whispered as he popped Tavin on her denim clad, round behind.

“I got your daddy right here,” Tavin replied with a laugh as she shook her fist at him.

“Hey that’s my line, with your sexy ass,” Cameron said, mouthing sexy ass and licking his lips at Tavin before he ended up in Taylor’s room, bringing more of Janae’s clothes.

“Hey…not in front of the children,” Taylor responded with a grin.

“Mind your business, Taylor…just mind your business,” Tavin replied grinning at her husband.

Janae laughed as she watched Tavin and Cameron go at it for a few minutes. Her entertainment was halted when she heard the ringing of her cell phone. She looked at the Caller ID display and took a deep breath.

“Hello,” Janae replied into the phone.

“Hey baby. How are you? How are you holding up after hearing about your daddy?” Delia asked. Taylor saw Janae’s smile go instantly into a frown as she sunk down on one of the highback barstools. Cameron lightly nudged Tavin’s elbow as they all looked at Janae. They knew who it was. Janae’s somber face was a dead giveaway.

“I should be asking you that, Delia,” Janae replied as she heard her mother’s soft sigh. She didn’t have a response to the daddy comment because Lawrence was never that. Truth be told, he wasn’t a real man, so Janae just waited to hear what Delia had to say.

“Aw, baby…I’m surviving. Thanks for asking. So, how’s everything else…your fiancée, work?” Delia asked.

“Okay. Delia, I’m really busy right now, so could you just get to the point? I have things to do,” Janae replied in a clipped tone of voice, shocking Delia. Janae usually didn’t talk to her that way. What in the hell had gotten into her.

“Well, I’m going to be coming your way in a few days. Isn’t that a wonderful surprise?” Delia asked brightly.

Janae just responded, “It’s something alright.”

What was going on with her sweet daughter, Delia wondered as she continued to speak. “I’ll be staying at the Waldorf and I wanted to see you and your sister. You two are all I have left and I want to talk to you…really talk to you. I have so much to share with you. I’ve made so many mistakes with you and your sister. I just want to make amends with you and Tavin. This family needs to heal, don’t you think baby?” Delia asked in a sincere sounding tone of voice. Janae sighed, because she knew Delia wanted something and she knew what that something was…her money.

“Yes, I do,” Janae replied.

Delia smiled, claiming a minor victory. “We need to talk about all the ugliness of the past and just move on. So, my flight will be dropping down in New York Monday evening. I’m probably going to be wiped out from the jet lag, so I’ll call you when I get in just to let you know I made it and maybe we could meet Tuesday, if that’s alright with you?”

Janae let out another sigh and smiled sarcastically. Her mother was always willing to be amicable and accomadating when she wanted something. “Yes, that’s fine. Look, I have to go finish unpacking. Call me when you get in. Bye.” Janae hung up the phone and let out a deep breath, then leaned her head back, closing her eyes.

“That was Delia. She’s coming here in two days and she wants to talk to us and make amends because she says that our family needs to heal and she has things that she wants to share with us. Wow…how very motherly of her,” Janae said as Taylor looked at Cameron.

“How very convenient that our cumbaya moment should occur when she’s dead broke. You know what she’s coming here for, Doodles,” Tavin replied speaking lowly as she walked over to her younger sister, making sure they were out of earshot of the kids. Taylor and Cameron finished moving the last four boxes, leaving Tavin and Janae alone to talk.

“Yes, I know, Tavy. I know,” Janae replied as she looked at her sister.

“And just so you know, I’m not giving her a damn dime. I mean it. She should still be living comfortably off of the money that my father left her, and I thought that maybe she would have been smarter or wise enough to stash some of Lawrence’s big bills, but I guess not,” Tavin replied.

“You know Delia, Tavin. Spend first, think later. I’m actually kind of glad that she’s coming,” Janae replied.

“Why?” Tavin asked.

“I have some things to say to her and I want to hear what her excuses are. I’m curious as to why she let things go down with us the way that she did,” Janae replied.

Tavin laughed. “Because she’s a selfish bitch, that’s why. It’s always been about Delia. She has to be the center of attention. She has to have her way. Janae, I don’t know why you want to put yourself through her carefully thought out song and dance and her excuses, but do what you have to do.”

Janae looked at her. “You’re not going to talk to her?”

“I said everything that I had to say to her the day she left you with me. I don’t need to hear anymore lies or half-baked excuses. Women who’ve had it worse than her keep their kids, protect their kids, raise their kids. They work two jobs to keep their families together, they do whatever they have to do because they love their children. Love, Janae. I would give my life for those two curly headed rascals in the front room. Why? Because I love them. Because they are a part of me. Delia’s not like that. When I was younger, she was a mother…for a little while and for the most part, I just learned to deal with her. Then, she showed that she didn’t care about who hurt us or what happened to us, as long as she was taken care of. My point is, Delia don’t give a fuck about me or you. She never has. So why am I going to subject myself to more lies and more bullshit from her? I’d be stupid to do that. Besides, if I’m in the same room with her I’m only going to put her in a headlock and beat her face to a pulp. So by me not being in the room, I’m saving her some much needed cash and some time under the knife,” Tavin stated as Janae laughed.

“You're crazy Tav, but I do understand your reasoning. But for me, it's not like that. This is something that I have to do, a bridge that I have to cross, ya know?” Janae said.

“You know she’s only going to try and work you, Janae,” Tavin said.

“I know. But, whatever decision I make, it’s mine. You made yours and I respect you for that. But I have to deal with her…do you understand that?” Janae asked.

Tavin reached out and hugged her sister. Janae hugged her back and Tavin sighed.

“I understand. I don’t like it, but I understand. Just...be careful, Nay,” Tavin replied.

“I will sis, I will,” Janae answered, hugging Tavin tighter.

********************************************************

Taylor was walking back into his office from a two hour meeting. Although he was in the meeting and he knew exactly what had been said and what had occurred, his thoughts were on Janae. She was meeting up with her mother today and he just couldn’t shake her from his thoughts. As he approached his secretary’s desk, he smiled at her as she handed him his messages.

“Hey, Monica, what’s going on? I got a lot of calls to return, huh?” he asked as she answered the ringing phone.

“Yes, you sure do, boss. Hold on one minute. Taylor Caldwell’s office. Oh, hi Janae, how are you? That’s good. Yes, he’s just getting back from his meeting. I’ll patch you through. You too, sweetie,” Monica replied.

“Boss, your wife to be is on line 1 and that call from the Knotridge Corporation needs to be handled ASAP,” Monica stated as Taylor grinned at her.

“Thanks Monica,” he replied as he walked into to his office and closed the door. He walked to his desk and put his phone on speakerphone as he took off his jacket and his tie.

“Hey sweetheart. I thought you would be in confrontation mode with mommy dearest right about now,” Taylor replied as he spoke into the phone and flipped through a file regarding CI’s newest acquisition.

“I thought so too, but she’s not here yet. She called me and said that she was running late. I just wanted to talk to you. I’m not interrupting you am I?” Janae asked as she waited for Delia that afternoon in their penthouse.

“Not at all. So, what did you want to talk about?” he asked as he sat down and took the phone off of speakerphone and placed the receiver next to his ear.

“Nothing in particular. I just wanted to hear your voice,” Janae replied.

“That’s sweet, but I know that’s not the only reason you called me. You’re worried about seeing her again, aren’t you?” Taylor asked.

“Yes. It’s been a long time. It’s not like I care about what she thinks of me or what impression I make. It’s just…I haven’t been in the same room with that woman since I was 15 years old. It’s weird, that’s all,” Janae replied.

Taylor said, “Janae, you don’t have to see her. I know you don’t want to see her, but you told me that you have to see her. If you feel that this isn’t right, then don’t do it, babygirl. Go with your gut.”

“My gut’s telling me that I’m not going to get rid of this woman unless I deal with her now, Taylor. But, I’m not looking forward to this,” Janae said as she heard the doorbell ring.

“Sounds like you’re going to be dealing with it sooner than you think. Do what you feel is right, baby. Don’t worry about what anyone else says. If you need me to come home, just call okay?” Taylor asked.

“I will. I love you, baby,” Janae replied as Taylor grinned.

“I love you too, babygirl. Remember, you’re not alone. Good luck,” he replied.

“Thank you. I’ll see you later. Bye,” Janae said as she hung up the phone and walked to the door. She smoothed her hands over her dark blue, fitted low rise jeans and her pink baby tee and took a deep breath. She opened the door and found her mother, Delia Bromwell looking as beautiful as ever. Her long black hair billowed around her shoulders and her dark caramel skin glowed in the white pantsuit that she wore.

“Janae! Baby, look at you. You’re gorgeous! Give momma a hug,” Delia replied as Janae stepped into Delia’s embrace, but didn’t return it. Delia released her daughter and continued to grin as she looked at the lavish penthouse that Janae was living in.

“Come in, Delia,” Janae replied flatly as she closed the door and watched as her mother’s eyes devoured the surroundings in which Janae and Taylor lived.

“This place is to die for. You look happy, baby.”

Janae knew that her mother was full of shit. She looked anything but happy at this moment and Delia Bromwell was the cause of it.

“I am. So, why are you in New York, Delia? You were in such a hurry to leave the last time I saw you, so I’m curious,” Janae replied. Delia laughed.

“Oh, sweetheart, that was so long ago and I’m here to see you and your sister,” Delia replied.

“Tavin doesn’t want to see you, so no dice there. I mean, you really can’t blame her, can you?” Janae asked as Delia smiled nervously.

“Tavin has her own mind about certain things and that’s all I have to say. By the way, your fiancée is gorgeous. Just like his brother. So, will I get to meet the lucky young man today?” Delia asked.

As if, Janae thought to herself as she watched Delia pick up a photo of her and Taylor at Tavin’s surprise birthday party.

“No, he has tons of meetings today. Sorry, Delia, but you’re stuck with just me. Too bad you didn’t want that years ago.”

Delia picked up another photo of Tavin’s family and stared at her oldest daughter, her husband and their children. They were a beautiful family. “Oh, cher, don’t be that way. I came here so that we could wipe the slate clean, become close.”

“And the fact that you’re broke doesn’t have anything to do with that?” Janae inquired as she crossed her arms in front of herself and watched as Delia placed the picture back in its place. Delia walked over to where Janae was standing and saw her engagement ring, taking her daughter’s hand. She knew the Caldwell’s had loot, but looking at that ring and the penthouse made it hit home all the more.

“Oh, my my my…this is beautiful. You’re a lucky young lady, baby. When’s the wedding?” Delia asked.

“Late May of next year,” Janae said flatly as she pulled her hand away from Delia and sat on the dark brown leather couch. Delia sat in the armchair opposite of Janae and smiled. She realized that her daughter was not behaving the way that she usually did and this did not bode well in her situation. Charles paid for her stay in the hotel and her funds were running low. She needed Janae’s help badly. Hopefully she could spin things the right way and get the cash that she needed.

“Why that’s wonderful? Are you excited?” Delia asked.

“Look, Delia, I would love to sit here and make small talk with you but, it wouldn’t be sincere and I’m not a hypocrite, so let’s just get to the nitty gritty, shall we? You want money and you know that I have some. I have lots of it, in case you’re wondering. But you’re not getting a dime until you answer my questions and I want you to answer them honestly, which I know is a stretch for you. Why did you let all that shit go down in our home? Why did you let Tavin go? Why didn’t you protect her? Why didn’t you keep me? If you recall, the last time we really talked, you accused me of being a slut and enticing your husband. That hasn’t changed, has it?” Janae asked.

“Janae, your daddy did some awful things and there’s no excuse for them and the things I said to you were horrible. To be honest, your daddy and I were never happy. But, he provided for me and you and your sister, so I took what he dished out. I really had no choice,” Delia replied as Janae looked at her like she had grown two heads.

“You had no choice? Delia, your husband was a pedophile! He raped Tavin! He molested me! Why couldn’t you just pick up our stuff, divorce him, get half and leave him? Why did we have to be the ones that were abandoned?” Janae asked.

“I had no choice, Janae. The lifestyle that he provided for me, for us was better than I had ever dreamed. Once you get used to living that way, it’s hard to imagine losing all of that and I thought I was doing the right thing by letting you and Tavin go. He never got to put a hand on you again, you were being raised in a better environment…

“…and you got to live your life the way that you wanted with all that money at your disposable, with no kids in the way. You know, Delia, Tavin and Aunt Paulie prepared me for you and your little spiel. They said that you would seem sincere and say things to look as if you were just a pawn in Lawrence’s game and they were right. You’re nothing but a scam artist and the reason you’re here right now is because you’re trying to scam money out of me. You’ve always put your needs and wants before ours! Always! I couldn’t grow up with my sister because of you! I had to endure so much shit because of you and all you can say is you had no choice! Bullshit! You did what you wanted to do. You didn’t care about us. All you cared about was yourself, you selfish bitch!” Janae yelled as Delia stared at her. Delia couldn’t believe what she just heard. This was not going the way that she had planned. In her mind, Janae would still be listening to her and writing her a check to stay out of her life, which was fine with Delia. But, her baby daughter decided to get a backbone at the wrong time. Delia just exploded.

Delia laughed lowly. “I didn’t know you had it in you, baby, but I’m glad you’re not a little pushover. You want to know something, something I never admitted? Yeah, Lawrence was a pervert! And yes, I knew you and your sister were telling the truth about what he did, but you want to know what? Sometimes bad things happen in families. They just do. I didn’t have a perfect family. I’ve been trying to survive by laying on my back since I was 15 years old! There were things that I had to do that I didn’t like, but I did it and I took it! You do what you have to do to survive and there was no way in hell that I was going back to working two jobs just because Lawrence liked little girls. You think I was happy with him? The only thing that made me happy was his money! I can count on one hand how many times I had sex with my husband. So he did some bad things to you and your sister? Your lives are a helluva lot better than mine ever was, so get over it. I’m here now and I’m trying to reach out to you. No one knows how hard it was. I love you and your sister, but I’m just not the raising type. I never was. I sacrificed enough of my life for you two and I needed to be free to enjoy life. You need to be happy that I let you go with your sister, but no! I’m seen as the bad guy! I’m seen as the bitch! Well, you know what little girl, this world is full of big, bad shit and a lot of it happens in your own home. You have tons of money, you’re marrying a gorgeous, wealthy young man and you have a great life. So your father touched you inappropriately? Big deal! You aint’ the only one it happened too and you aint’ gonna be the last. I wasn’t perfect, but I’m still your mama and that’ll never change. I sought out happiness the only way I knew how and that was through buying things that made me happy, doing things that made me happy. I deserved some happiness. So if me giving you to your sister hurt, well, I’m sorry, but I just couldn’t deal with it anymore. I wasn’t happy and you weren’t either. Beside, you ain’t hurting for nothing and your life is lot easier now. And since your father is gone, you and your sister are all I got and I am your mother whether you like it or not. So sing your sad songs to someone else and get over it!”

Delia didn’t realize that her true colors were really showing. Janae just laughed. Delia really was all about Delia. Janae knew Delia was only there because she needed money, but a sliver of her wished that she would just pull from her maternal instincts and pour her heart out and say that she was sorry and that there was no excuse for the way that she behaved. But, of course Delia wasn’t about to do that. Janae had heard enough and it was time to get rid of this woman, once and for all.

Delia realized that she was very harsh and decided to soften her tone. “Look, Janae, I’m sorry for the way that I blew up at you, but I am serious about wanting to get over all this foolishness and get closer to you,” Delia lied through her teeth.

“Closer to my money, you mean. I know all about the FBI seizure of all of Lawrence’s funds and assets, and you know that I own or did own the dealerships, so cut the bullshit. I sold them for a nice price, too. So, come on Delia. Be a real woman for once in your miserable sappy life and just say it. Just say that you’re here for the money and I’ll write you a check. If money is going to keep you away from us, then I’ll write you a check that you’ll never forget. But once I do that, you are never to bother Tavin or I again. No more calling or surprise visits, or anything. Do you understand me? We’ve lived without a mother for all this time. We can continue to do that, but I need you to tell me that you’re going leave us the fuck alone. So what about it, mama? Will you do it?” Janae asked.

Delia was smiling inside, but she tried to come off as humble. If Janae wrote her a check, she would gladly leave them alone. All she wanted was the money and they didn’t want her and she didn’t want to be tied down, so it was a win win for everyone.

“Yes, if that’s what you want baby, I’ll do it,” Delia said as sincerely as she could.

“Just keep up your end of the bargain, Delia,” Janae replied as she walked over to her purse and retrieved her checkbook. Janae pulled out a pen and begin to fill out the check.

“Oh, I will. I understand that there’s just so much that’s happened and I do understand why you girls feel the way that you feel and I can’t force you to suddenly want to be a family. It would be too difficult. I really do understand,”Delia stated.

“I’m glad that you do, Delia,” Janae replied as she finished filling out the check. She tore it off and blew on it so that the wet ink would dry.

“I appreciate this so much baby. You just don’t know how much this means to me,” Delia said with a smile.

“Oh, I think I do. Here you go, Delia,” Janae replied as she walked over to her mother and handed her the check.

Delia was all smiles and was standing, holding onto her purse strap as she gently took the check out of Janae’s hand. “Oh, thank you baby, so much. Maybe we could have lunch if you’re not busy…,” Delia began but was interrupted when her eyes stared at the check in Janae’s neat, cursive handwriting. Her name was on it, but the amount couldn’t be right. It just couldn’t.

“Janae, sweetie, this can’t be right,” Delia replied as she looked at the check.

“Oh, it is. Now you remember that you said you wouldn’t bother us again. I hope you don’t go back on your word. That would be just shameful and you wouldn’t want to get me angry. I can be a real bitch when I’m angry,” Janae replied with a grin.

“You can’t be serious, Janae. This is only $1,” Delia replied, getting angry.

“Oh, I know. Man, now I’m going to get hit with all those extra fees. Damn,” Janae replied as Delia fumed.

“Girl, stop playing with me and write…,” Delia stated angrily.

”Now a deal is a deal, mama and you agreed. So stay the fuck out of our lives. It’s been real and all, but I have to go and check on the construction going on at my studio. You do see the door, don’t you? Use it,” Janae said with a smile as she placed her checkbook back in her purse.

“Oh, so that’s how you’re gonna be, huh? Half of that money is mine from the dealerships and I’m going to get a lawyer and fight you tooth and nail, you little winch! You don’t want to go toe to toe with me, little girl. I’m the wrong bitch to fuck with!” Delia yelled as Janae laughed.

“And so am I! Go ahead and hire a lawyer. We have four who will say that the purchase was legal and binding and my stupid ass father, your husband signed everything over to the new owner. You don’t have a leg to stand on. So YOU get over it and get the fuck out!” Janae yelled.

Delia just stared at her fuming in silence for a few minutes and then smiled. Then, Delia said, “Funny you should say that…my husband and your father. But what you don’t know little girl is that Lawrence Bromwell was not your father! I was having an affair when I got pregnant with your ass and I passed you off as his. The stupid bastard didn’t even know and neither did you. Now how do you love that, hmmm?”

It couldn’t be true. Delia lied all the time. But, maybe she wasn’t lying about this. As Janae stared at Delia, her purse dropped from her hands. Delia just grinned like she was enjoying every minute of it.

“Now what you got to say, Ms. Bad Ass? I told you…I’m the wrong bitch to fuck with,” Delia stated as Janae just stared at Delia in amazement.