Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


Chapter 5

Six years later

“Look at her, Cameron. She’s all grown up. Doesn’t she look beautiful?” Tavin asked as she watched her sister at her welcome home party at the Caldwell’s family estate. Upon graduation, Janae had been offered a job to dance in London for two years. She took it and now she was back, auditioning for companies in New York.

“Yeah, she does. I’m really proud of her. That piece she did at her Finale Concert was amazing,” Cameron stated, taking in Janae’s fuschia and white striped strapless, dress, with the keyhole near the breasts. It was extra fitted at the top, to her waist then it flaired out.

“Yeah, my little sister is very talented,” Tavin replied as Ashton, their five year old son pulled Cameron’s hand.

“Yeah, and a little exposed too,” Cameron replied, looking at his sister-n-law. He didn’t want to admit it, but he would never see Janae as a grown up…ever.

“No, she’s not Cameron. She looks lovely,” Tavin said.

“You can see some things on her Tavin. She’s exposed,” Cameron said.

“Whateva’,” Tavin said.

“Daddy?” Ashton asked, his caramel skin and light brown eyes sparkling, pulling Cameron’s hand.

“Yes, partner?” he asked.

“I want a piggy back ride,” he said as he smiled down at him. He picked him up and put him on his back.

“Happy now,” he inquired.

“Uh huh,” Ashton said as Cameron dipped his head and kissed Tavin on the lips. He walked off with his son talking a mile a minute.

Meanwhile, Taylor was walking into the house with Tanner and Brandon, trying to appear very cool. He hadn’t seen her in a year and the time that he saw her over the years were blips on the radar. He talked to her a few times, but not much. She was really busy and so was he.

But the few times he did see her were not so good. Taylor had to deal with seeing her with boyfriends throughout the years---for Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Years….and there were several. She seemed to be having fun and dating a lot, which he was glad for, but he really didn’t like seeing her with other guys. Even though they barely saw each other throughout the years, he really missed her and he couldn’t wait to see her.

“You’re mighty anxious to get out there, Taylor. Any particular reason why?” Brandon asked, his light brown eyes shining.

“I think it has to do with a very hot, very pretty girl, about this tall,” Tanner replied as he grinned.

Taylor shook his head and grinned. “Whateva’,” he replied as they walked into the backyard. His niece and nephew ran to him, Kendall and LJ, with Nathaniel Tarrington in tow as they gave him a dap. He lowered himself and got to their level.

“What’s up, yall?” he asked. As usual, Kendall spoke first.

“Nothing much, Uncle T. Teedy Janae is home and she promised to take me, Nate and LJ to play paint ball. How cool is that?” 7 1/2 year old Kendall Caldwell inquired her black, curly ponytails flopping. She was going to break hearts one day, Taylor thought…if she stopped being such a tomboy.

“Pretty cool. Hey where is Teedy Janae?” Taylor asked, looking around the crowd.

“Ooh, she’s right there and she looks…whoa,” Tanner replied as Taylor stood up. He followed his line of sight and saw Janae. Words couldn’t describe how beautiful she looked, he thought as his eyes took in everything. She had her hair pulled up with a few strands hanging down in a dress that was enticingly sexy. He pulled his bottom lip into his mouth with his teeth and just stared until she saw him. Janae smiled brightly and waved to him. He nodded his head and waved back, with the hugest grin on his face.

“Dude, it’s like she gets hotter every time I see her,” Brandon replied.

“Taylor, I don’t know why you never tried to tap that. It was fully at your disposal, too? You’re crazy,” Tanner replied as they all just stared at Janae. Then, Taylor’s smile turned upside down when some tall, good looking dude walked up to her and kissed her square on the lips.

“Who the fuck is that?” Taylor asked looking at Tanner and Brandon. Logan was standing next to them as Taylor asked his question.

“That is Christopher Roberts, choreographer and Doodles’ boyfriend,” Logan replied as Taylor just stared at the guy with his arm wrapped around Janae’s waist.

“Boyfriend? When the fuck did that happen?” Taylor asked, still staring at the guy with his paws all over Janae.

“Um, she met him London. They’ve been seeing each other for a few months, from what she said,” Logan replied looking at his younger brother’s jaw tense up as he walked off with a grin on his face. Why didn’t the boy just admit that he was in love with the girl and get it over with, Logan thought as he sipped his beer.

“I don’t like him. He looks too pretty, like gay pretty or like he goes both ways and likes to stick and get stuck,” Taylor replied.

“You don’t like anyone that girl dates. Incoming,” Brandon replied as Danielle Parks, Janae’s gorgeous best friend and partner in crime came over. Danielle began to visit Janae a few months after she moved in with Tavin and Cameron, so everyone knew her. She and Janae were both dancers and went to college together and stayed close. She grinned at the gorgeous threesome as she called them.

“Hey, Taylor, Tanner, Brandon. What ya’ looking at? My fine ass or Nay and Chris?” Danielle asked as she looked where they were staring.

“I’m looking at your ass,” Tanner said with a grin as Danielle popped him. The guys laughed.

“Hey Dani. Who’s that guy with Nay?” Taylor asked as he watched Janae and Chris.

“Oh, you work entirely too much…that’s Chris Robertson, choreographer extraordinaire. Look at him…beautiful. Tall, tan, dark hair, completely hetero, fine as hell, plus he can move and he’s nice. They’ve been seeing each other for a few months, but it’s not serious, trust me. They barely see each other with his schedule,” Danielle said as Taylor jaw became less tense. She was always secretly rooting for Taylor and Janae, but she never let Taylor know it.

“Well, I want to meet Mr. Spectacular. Introduce me, Dani,” Taylor replied as he walked towards the couple.

Janae looked up and saw Taylor walking towards, her looking like a million bucks.

Ashley grinned at Janae and whispered, “Incoming…His hotness is coming this way.”

He was still gorgeous, she thought as she took in the longer hair. Not much, but it made him look sexier than he already was. She made eye contact with Danielle who just grinned at her. Taylor walked up to her, completely ignoring Christopher and pulled her into his arms.

“Hey, baby girl, welcome home,” he replied as he hugged her close, loving the way that she felt in his arms.

“Hey, Taylor. Thank you,” she replied as she hugged him back, closing her eyes, inhaling his sexy cologne and him. Lord, the man was fine, she thought as her heart raced. Their embrace broke, but the way Taylor stared at her was not what she was used to. He looked at her almost predatorily, and it gave Janae goosebumps.

She loved it.

Wait a minute…I’m not supposed to love him looking at me like he’s a dog and I’m a Milk bone dog treat. I’m here with…Christopher. Yeah, Christopher, she thought as she made the introductions.

“Oh, um Christopher Robertson, this is Tanner Jefferson, Brandon Lanero and Taylor Caldwell. You guys, this is Christopher Robertson, my boyfriend,” she replied with a smile as they shook his hand. Taylor was last and just smiled at him. To people who didn’t know him, the smile looked sincere, but to Janae, it was that smile that he gave people who he thought were a joke.

“I’ve heard a lot about you, Taylor. Nice to finally meet you,” Christopher replied.

“Yeah, sure,” Taylor said, although the only thing he was thinking was, yeah right. Now it was official. He didn’t like the dude.

The group talked amongst each other until a good song came on and Taylor smiled at Janae.

“Hey, Janae. Wanna dance?” Taylor asked. Janae looked shocked at first, but then she put her glass on the table.

“Yeah, sure,” she replied as Taylor grabbed her hand in his and led her to the dance floor.

Josslyn held out her hand as a reluctant Tavin handed over a bill to Josslyn. Josslyn collected the 20 dollar bill from Tavin with a grin. “Nice doing business with ya, sis. See, I told you he was going to do something here. The little shit is pissing on the concrete like a puppy.”

“Ain’t this some shit?” Tavin asked as they watched Janae and Taylor dance.

“It most certainly is. Too bad it took him so long to realize it because it seems that she’s taken. When Cameron finds out, he’s going to shit bricks,” Josslyn said.

Tavin smiled. “Probably. How much do you want to bet that it won’t last between her and dancy boy?

Josslyn laughed at her sister-in-law. “Lunch and a full day at Messigio’s.”

Tavin shook Josslyn’s hand. “You got a deal and this is one bet that I won’t lose.”
*********************************************************
Dancing this close to him was doing her in, she thought. But, she was a performer and she appeared as if it was just a friendly dance. It seemed to be fooling a lot of people, but not Taylor. Taylor looked down into those beautiful brown eyes that haunted many of his dreams and smiled.

“I’m sorry I couldn’t make it to London. My mom said you were wonderful,” Taylor replied as Janae looked up at him.

“I was pretty good and I understand, Mr. CFO. So, how’s your job?” Janae asked, staring into his beautiful hazel eyes.

“Good, very good. But I don’t want to talk about that. You look incredible, Janae. Absolutely gorgeous…breathtaking,” he said as she blushed.

“Thank you,” she whispered as his eyes caught on the necklace that he bought her years ago.

“You’re welcome,” Taylor replied as they looked at one another.

“Hey, you still have that?” Taylor asked pointed to the diamond encrusted ballet slippers necklace.

“Yes, it’s my good luck charm. I always wear it,” Janae admitted as he smiled at her.

“That’s good to know. I’ve really missed you. I haven’t had anyone to beat my butt at video games. Tanner and B suck,” Taylor stated honestly as Janae stared up into his eyes. As she looked at him, she remembered when he cornered her a year ago and that great week they spent together before she left. She laughed, then smiled.

“That’s a shame. I’ve missed you, too, T. So, um, what do you think of Christopher?” Janae asked.

Taylor was still smiling at her when he said, “I don’t like him. He’s not the one for you. Are you sure he doesn’t bat for the other team?”

Janae laughed. “Not to my knowledge. Never let it be said that Taylor Caldwell bites his tongue,” Janae said as Taylor smiled.

“Well, you know me, don’t you?” Taylor asked as Janae nodded in agreement.

“Yes, I do,” Janae said.

“So, what would you say about me taking you to lunch next week?” Taylor asked.

“I would say, that would be very nice and I want Japanese food,” Janae said as Taylor smiled.

“So demanding. We have a lot of things to talk about,” Taylor said.

Janae knew exactly what he meant and let out a breath. “Yeah, we do.”

“Especially…,” Taylor said as he stared into her eyes. Christopher tapped Taylor on the shoulder.

“Mind if I cut in?” Christopher asked as Taylor graciously stepped away.

“No problem. Good to have you home, baby girl,” Taylor said as he winked at Janae and walked away. He walked over to a table where, Tanner was sitting with some woman and stared at Janae.

“Now, say that you don’t have a thing for her, dude,” Tanner replied as Taylor grinned.

“We saw you give her the look, T. So are you actually going to give us that bull about just being family?” Brandon asked.

“No, I can’t do that. I really can’t,” Taylor replied as he watched Janae dance with the wrong man. He was smiling on the outside, but he was seething on the inside…he was pissed. What the hell was she doing with that dude, he thought. He took a seat and watched them. He wanted her to feel him watching her.

Janae looked up and saw Taylor, staring at her. What was he thinking about, she thought as she caught him winking at her. She smiled, then turned away. Ten minutes later, she turned back around and he was still staring at her.

What’s going on, Janae asked, knowing full well that she knew exactly what it was…he was jealous and she knew why.
************************************************************************
Three months later

“What are you going to dance to for your audition piece? I’m thinking of dancing to Crazy in Love,” Danielle asked as they walked around Saks.

“That’s a very good, upbeat piece. I don’t know, maybe a Missy joint or Mary J. I don’t know,” Janae stated as they shopped.

“Too bad Ashley couldn’t meet us,” Danielle said.

“Yeah, well she had a meeting at work, but she said she would definitely be here the next time," Janae replied.

"So, where’s Chris now?” Danielle asked.

“In L.A. I talked to him a few days ago. He’s busy, busy, busy. He said he would be back in a few days,” Janae said.

“Hmmm,” Danielle said, then she decided to change the subject. “So, Taylor looked good as a mutha’ at your party?” Danielle asked as she and Janae shopped.

“Yes, he did,” Janae said. She really hadn’t seen that much of him, except for their lunch date, which was absolute fun. There was so much that needed to be said that day, but some kind of way, things didn’t happen that way. They discussed their careers and music and politics, but not the real things that they needed to. When she did see him, which wasn’t much because of his busy schedule, her heart skipped like it always did. She could also see where this conversation was headed. Ashley had already given her two’ you should talk to Taylor pep talks this week and she knew that’s what Danielle had in mind. She just wasn’t for it.

“Well, Taylor has gotten better with time. That boy is magnifique,” Danielle said as Janae smiled.

“That he is,” Janae agreed, thinking about the way he looked at her as they danced.

“So, what are you doing Janae? You know that you are in love with the guy. You didn’t see the way he was staring at you at the party. That boy is crazy about you. He didn’t have eyes for anyone else and trust me, the ho’s were in full affect jocking him. It’s not his fault that he looks like a walking tie me down and fuck me billboard,” Danielle responded.

Janae just stared at her. “I’m not going to even touch that one. Who were they?” Janae asked.

“Who were what?” Danielle asked.

“The hoochies that were looking at Taylor!,” Janae exclaimed.

“Oh…Shandra Dawson, Kimberly Estes, Megan Lincoln,” Danielle replied as Janae gasped.

“They are ho’s,” Janae said.

“Yeah. Full fledged sluts, hanging onto his every word and trust me, he could have had anyone of them, probably all three of them, but he kept looking at you. Interesting,” Danielle said with a grin.

“Yeah, whatever. I don’t know why we’re even rehashing this. I have a man,” Janae said.

“A man who might as well constitute as not being your man due to his constant absence. Come on, Nay, this is me. Why are you still dating this dude when you’re in love with Taylor?” Danielle asked as Janae picked up her the clothes.

“I’m going to try this on,” Janae said, ignoring Danielle, knowing full well that she hadn’t been thinking about Christopher until Danielle brought him up. But she thought about Taylor all the time, even when she didn’t want to.
*********************************************************
“I’m telling you dude, she’s not serious about that cat,” Tanner said as they played video games at Tanner’s loft.

“I don’t know, they looked kind of cozy. I just want her to be happy,” Taylor said, even though it was killing him to see her with that guy. Over the past few months, he had to see her with that guy 3 times. He knew a player when he saw one and this guy traveled all over the world. He knew this dude was playing Janae, but he didn’t want to rain on her parade. She seemed happy everytime he saw her, so he did what he normally did…he stayed away and immersed himself in work. Still, the thought of her with that guy made his blood boil.

“Man, you sound ridiculous. You know you want that girl. Why don’t you just call her up and ask her out?” Tanner asked

“It’s not that simple,” Taylor replied.

“She’s older T and I know the girl still has feelings for you. Just pour on the charm and get the girl. This shit is tired, dude,” Tanner stated as Taylor ran a hand over his face.

“Like I said, it’s not…if I tell you something, you promise not to say shit to B,” Taylor said.

“Yeah, I promise,” Tanner stated as Taylor told him what happened years ago with Janae on her prom night and about last year when he cornered Janae about going to back to London. He didn’t tell him everything, especially about that week, but just enough. Tanner had to pause the game and stare at Taylor.

“Aw, shit son. You turned that down? Do you not have eyes? Are you into the fellas or something?” Tanner asked.

“Now you know better than that. I’m a lover of the ladies, so don’t go there. It just didn’t feel right. I mean, don’t get me wrong, she felt right…damn, did she feel right, but she was so innocent looking and trusting and sexy and beautiful. On one hand, I wanted to take her and sex her up real crazy, but when she started talking about loving me and stuff, I couldn’t do that. I didn’t love her, at least not like that at the time, and I couldn’t do that to her,” Taylor said with a sigh.

Tanner smiled. “So, are you saying that you are now in love with Janae?”

Taylor shrugged his shoulders. He knew he was in love with Janae, but he didn’t want to admit it to Tanner, even though he admitted it to her…several times. “I don’t know. I really don’t know what the hell it is. All I do know is that I have really strong feelings for her.”

“You have strong feelings for your moms, but you don’t want to nail her. This is deeper than that. I saw the way that you looked at that girl when you danced with her. I thought I was going to see you walk into the house with her. You looked like you wanted to put it on her then, to hell with the people that were there. But it wasn’t just about sex, T. You looked at her like she was the only thing in existence and everything else wasn’t shit. You ain’t got to admit it to me, dude, but you need to admit to yourself. It’s all over your face now,” Tanner replied as Taylor sighed again.

“Okay, so maybe I’m in love with her. I guess you think I’m a punk now,” Taylor said with a grin.

“You’ve always been a punk, but if that’s how you feel, bro, that’s how you feel. Real talk…if you want her…do you want her?” Tanner asked.

“Yeah, I do,” Taylor said.

“If you want her, then do the damn thing. Get her. I got a feeling that she’s just waiting on you to step up and this dancer dude is just a fill in for you. Handle your business, dawg,” Tanner said as he unpaused the game and began to play again.

Taylor sat back against the couch. Tanner had a point. He did want her, but Janae seemed to have moved on. Taylor played once more with his friend, but his mind was elsewhere, thinking of a way to approach Janae about everything. Then, he smiled. Yeah, he’d get her. He knew exactly what to do. He’d have to remind her of what she said in that corner in his parent’s house last year and about that week they spent together last year before she left to go back to London for her second year.