Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


Chapter 2

Janae and Ashley Barnett, a pretty, dark haired hostess, were standing at their post, which was the hostess stand at Giselle’s on a Thursday evening.

Janae liked her job. Actually, she worked at Giselle’s and taught jazz and contemporary dance part-time. She liked being busy. When she began working at the restaurant 3 years ago, she basically took over. The customers began to tell the managers about how friendly and helpful Janae was. Cameron and the managers were so impressed by all the customer comments, as well as her likeable personality, professionalism and style that she was now training every hostess that was hired. Janae trained them on how to deal with irate customers, what to wear, how to wear their hair, etc. She knew it wasn't a difficult job, but try dealing with 20 people and their children on a Friday night with a 2 hour wait, she thought. That takes patience and complete sanity.

“Did you get everything you needed for prom?” Ashley asked. Ashley was one of the first people to make Janae feel welcome at her new school when she arrived three years ago. They became fast friends.

Janae smiled. “Yes, I’m done. What about you?”

“I have to get a pair of sheer, black pantyhose and an evening bag, but other than that, I’m done. Are you and ultra cutie Luke going to Sloan’s after party?” Ashley asked.

“Yeah,” Janae said as Ashley grinned at her slyly.

“What?” Janae asked.

“You do know that a lot of people hook up and get down at Sloan’s parties, right?” Ashley asked.

“Yeah, and your point?” Janae asked as she looked around.

“Um, you know that Luke is probably going to be looking for a little…somethin’ somethin’,” Ashley said, her blue eyes sparkling as Janae shook her head.

“Well, he can keep looking because he’s not getting it. I’m not ready for that and he knows it,” Janae said as she and Ashley said goodnight to two ladies departing the restaurant.

There was a small patch of silence, then Janae decided to change the subject. She got tired of talking about what she was giving or not giving to her boyfriend. It was frustrating. “Whoo, I’m so glad that it slowed down tonight.”

“Me too. It definitely was quite the opposite 2 hours ago. You know it’s your turn to seat the next few guests,” Ashley said as Janae cut her eyes at her, then smiled and said the goodnight spiel to four departing customers.

“Heifer, I know the rotation,” Janae said as Ashley blew a kiss at her and began to walk towards the restroom.

“Well in that case, hold down the fort, chickadee. I have to potty,” Ashley said as Janae shook her head and rubbed off two vacant tables from her chart. She signaled to one of the busboys with her prettiest smile to clear the tables and he smiled back at her. He began to clear the tables with vigor after she smiled at him. Janae shook her head again. Men are so weak. Janae adjusted her black leather belt that was looped through a pair of black, fitted, stretch trouser shorts, and was paired with a black ruffled sleeveless v-neck blouse. On her feet were 2 inch, black ankle strap heels. Her hair was up in a messy ponytail with black, sequined chopsticks adorning it. She smiled at the couple leaving the restaurant.

“Please, come back soon. Have a good night,” she said as she walked out of the hostess stand to fix the menus.

Why was her being a virgin such a big deal, she thought as she fixed the menus. She knew Ashley wasn’t because she had just given her boyfriend of 2 years, Neil, the best birthday present of his life 2 months ago. Most of her friends had already had sex, but Janae just hadn’t found the one she wanted to be with. Well, that wasn’t really true. If Taylor Caldwell took the blinders off and realized that she was a grown up, she would probably give it to him in a heartbeat, she thought with a grin on her face.

As she completed her task, the doors opened and two cute guys in their early twenties walked in and smiled at her. Right behind them was Taylor, Tanner Jefferson and Brandon Lanero, just standing and smiling at her. She smiled back.

“Hello, welcome to Giselle’s. How many are in your party this evening?” she asked the two guys and noticed that the one with the medium length, dirty blond hair was smiling really hard at her.

“Two, but it could be a table for 3 if you join us, beautiful,” the dirty blond hair stranger stated. Janae smiled.

Tanner nudged Taylor who was listening carefully and watching. This dude was hitting on Janae…on Janae? Okay, she was a pretty girl…and she did look good, but Janae? He had never witnessed someone hitting on Janae. This was just weird for him.

“Although that is a very inviting offer, I can’t take you up on it. I’m working and fraternizing with the customers in such a way is definitely against the rules. I’m sorry,” she said as she grabbed two menus and smiled at the guys. She was so charming and that smile…the guys didn’t even care that she just turned them down, Taylor thought as he watched her work, a huge smile adorning his gorgeous features.

“That’s no fun,” the blond haired guy responded as he looked her over.

“I’m here to show you to your table, not have fun…a drag, but it’s my job. Follow me, please,” Janae said with a grin.

“I’d follow you anywhere,” the dirty blond haired guy said as she laughed and walked toward the table. She could feel the guys looking at her ass, which did look good in her fitted trouser shorts, and she smiled harder, walking a little slower. This was the fun part of her job…flirting with cute guys.

“T, did you see that? Janae had those dudes eating out of the palm of her hand and she barely did anything,” Brandon said.

Taylor watched her as she gave them their menus, laughed at something they said, and walked back to the hostess stand. When she walked away the guys turned completely around to watch her. Then, they licked their lips…at Janae! Taylor just shook his head.

“Well, she does look good in that outfit…damn,” Tanner said as Taylor nudged him.

“Hey, that’s Janae,” Taylor said. She just looked like a nicely dressed, pretty young girl …a very pretty girl, but still just Janae to him.

Janae walked back to the hostess stand and grinned. Taylor looked hot as usual, his signature baseball cap low and to the side, jeans, vintage t-shirt, with a nice looking black leather jacket.

“Hola, fellas. Your regular table?” Janae asked as she grabbed three menus. Ashley walked back to the stand and smiled at them.

“Yes,” Taylor said.

“Right this way,” Janae stated with a grin as they followed her to the table. Taylor knew Brandon and Tanner were staring at Janae’s ass because he snuck a peek, too. When they were seated, she handed them the menus.

“I don’t know why I’m giving these to you guys. You know the menu like the back of your hand,” Janae said.

Taylor grinned at her. “Because it sucks and it’s your job, Ms. Flirty. Does Cam know you hit on all your customers?” He wanted to mess with her a little, like he always did.

“You need to get your eyes checked, T. I was not hitting on them…they were hitting on me. Serena will be your server. Enjoy your meal,” she replied. As she turned on her heel to walk away, Taylor called her back. Tanner and Brandon were looking at her...again, Taylor noticed.

“Wait…Nay. Are they serving that chicken and sausage soup today?” Taylor asked.

“I think so. Ask Serena. Bye,” she said as they all said bye to her.

“Janae’s got a nice little frame on her,” Tanner said with a smile.

“She sure does,” Brandon said.

“The girl is my family. Would you please stop talking about her like that?” Taylor asked as he looked up and saw the guy who was hitting on Janae staring at her as she walked back to the hostess stand. He was going to have to peep this out. That guy was staring a little too hard at Janae, he thought as he joined in the current conversation with his friends. Meanwhile, the two guy customers in question were talking and glancing over at the hostess stand.

“So, what are you getting into this weekend?” asked the dark haired, white male patron.

“I don’t know. I’m going to hit a couple of clubs that’s for sure. I’m glad finals are over. Speaking of getting into…I’d definitely like to get into her…she’s hot,” his blond haired friend stated as he stared at the pretty, young black hostess.

“The other one is, too. They have the hottest hostesses and servers here…food’s good too,” the dark hair male said as they both laughed.

“So, you like that, huh?” the dark haired male asked the blond haired man.

“Very much…very much,” the blond haired man said as he perused his menu.

Ashley and Janae said goodnight to more patrons leaving the restaurant. Ashley lightly elbowed Janae and smiled. “That guy is totally checking you out.”

“Yeah, I know. He’s cute, huh?” Janae asked with a grin.

“Yeah, but what about Luke?” Ashley asked.

“Just because I have a boyfriend does not mean my eyes no longer work. He’s hot,” Janae said about the blond haired stranger.

“Speaking of hot, Taylor Caldwell’s friends are smoking, but Taylor is like…perfection,” Ashley said as they looked at the table where Taylor, Tanner and Brandon was sitting.

“Yeah, he is,” Janae said as she looked over Taylor’s face again. His eyes caught hers and he crossed his eyes. She poked out her tongue at him. It was something that they always did. He laughed and turned back around.

“I don’t know how you manage not to take him and rip his clothes off and offer yourself to him on a platter. He’s sooo hot,” Ashley said as Janae picked up her plastic covered seating chart and waved it in front of Ashley.

“Okay, we’ve established that Taylor is hot. Why don’t you go get a soda or something and cool off, hot mama,” Janae said as Ashley sucked her teeth at Janae who grinned at her. Janae looked over at Taylor’s table again. Yeah, he was hot…but totally not interested. She could put an apple in her mouth and lay on a huge silver platter naked and Taylor would still call her a cute kid, proceed to throw a blanket over her and pat her on the head. Janae shook her head and went back to work.

During the next hour the occupancy of the restaurant dwindled down to only five tables and two bar patrons. Janae told Ashley she was going to the restroom and strolled to the bathroom. The blond haired guy was watching and wanted to talk to her as she came out of the bathroom. So, he went to the men’s room and stood right near the door until he saw her walk out. He walked in front of her and stopped her.

“We’ve got to stop meeting like this,” he said as she laughed.

“Wow, that’s original,” Janae said.

“Well, that’s the only thing I could come with. You’re so pretty that old, clichéd pick up lines were the only thing that came to mind,” he said. Janae laughed again and crossed her arms.

“What’s your name?” he asked.

“Janae,” she said.

“Hello, Janae. I’m Dylan,” he said as he put his hand out to shake hers. Janae shook his hand and pulled it away slowly. They spoke for a few minutes and Janae thought he was pretty funny. Taylor looked up and over to the darkened alcove that held the restrooms. Taylor saw that the guy that was flirting with Janae earlier was all in her face, really in her face. The kid was looking for a piece and Janae was his target. I’ll be damned, Taylor said as he balled his hands into fists. He didn’t know what prompted him to do it, but he got up and walked to the restrooms.

Janae smiled and although she liked the attention, she had a job to do. Ashley couldn’t handle the front for long alone. “I have to get back,” she said.

He put his hand on her arm and smiled. “Hold on, baby. Give me a few more minutes and your phone number, and then you can go back.” He was walking closer to her, getting a little too close for comfort, but she could handle him.

She hated when guys who didn’t know her called her baby. She was definitely not giving him her number now. “I have a boyfriend…sorry,” she said, trying to move, but his hand gently grabbed her upper arm to keep her in front of him.

“Well, why don’t I give you my phone number and you can call me when you come to your senses,” Dylan said. The next thing Janae sees is Taylor pulling the guys hand off of her arm and standing in front of her, staring at the guy.

“Do we have a problem here?” Taylor asked calmly.

Not now, Janae thought. “T,” Janae said.

“What in the hell was he doing with his hands on you, huh?” Taylor asked.

“Hey, man, I got here first,” Dylan said with a grin. Taylor narrowed his eyes.

“Dude, you really don’t want to go there. Janae,” he said giving her a look that said leave. Janae rolled her eyes and walked off, muttering that she was grown and could handle the guy. Taylor turned his attention back to the guy.

“What are you, her dad…or do you want her to call you daddy, because I know I do. She’s so hot,” the guy said licking his lips. Taylor walked up to the guy and narrowed his eyes more. This got Dylan’s attention and kind of scared him.

“If you don’t want to get your ass kicked, stay the fuck away from her, you feel me?”
Taylor asked as he walked away from the guy. He sat back down as Brandon and Tanner smiled.

“Marking your territory, huh?” Brandon asked.

“It ain’t like that. If you don’t want to get dropped, cool it,” Taylor said as his eyes went to Janae who was throwing daggers at him with her eyes.

Ashley welcomed Janae back with a grin. “So, what was all that about?”

Janae looked at her watch. She was off in 15 minutes. “He wanted the digits, but Taylor came over and acted like big brother protector of the insignificant, weak female. I could handle him. Besides, the minute he called me baby I was turned off. He doesn’t know me well enough for that. I’m going to do my closing duties, then I’m out of here.”

Taylor knew that Janae was pissed with him, but that was too damn bad. That guy was up to no good, and he knew it. He said goodbye to Brandon and Tanner and waited outside for Janae.

Janae walked out of Giselle’s and saw Taylor leaning against his car with his arms crossed and his legs crossed at the ankle. She rolled her eyes at him once more.

“Is Tav or Cam picking you up or is the car being sent for you?” Taylor asked.

“Mr. Benny is off for the night and no. I’m catching a cab…I am capable of doing that,” Janae said in a pissed off tone of voice as she stared at him with narrowed eyes.

“I’m sure you are, but no dice. Come on, get in, I’ll take you home,” Taylor said as he opened the passenger door. Janae continued to glare at him. He sighed. Women.

“Come on, baby girl. You can be mad at me all you want for saving you from a possible rapist. I don’t care. But I’m not letting you take a cab home…not when I’m right here. Come on, Nay. Get in,” he said as he opened the passenger door.

Janae glared at him until he said, "Please."

Janae smacked her lips and climbed into the car. Taylor closed her door and walked around to the driver’s seat. He settled himself in the seat and put on his seatbelt. He smiled at the cute little pout that had graced Janae’s lips. She was really mad at him, he thought as he started the car and pulled off.

There was silence for a few minutes until Janae said, “I could have handled him you, know.”

Taylor grinned as he stopped at a red light. He turned his head to the right and looked at her. “Yeah, you looked like you were in total control of the situation.”

Sarcasm, Janae thought. He’s being sarcastic. “I was. Let me tell you something Taylor Antonio Caldwell. I can handle myself. He wouldn’t have gone far…I wouldn’t have let him. Are we clear?” She wouldn’t let him know, but even though she could deal with that guy, she was kind of glad that Taylor stepped in when he did.

“Janae, the dude had you hemmed up against a wall. A few minutes later, he would have tried to hump you in that alcove…and I was not going to let that happen,” Taylor said as the light turned green. He made a right and drove.

“Ooh, thank you, oh great protector. What would I do without you?” Janae asked sarcastically.

“Okay, smart ass. You can be pissed all you want, but I know guys and he wanted more than your phone number,” Taylor said.

“No duh! Isn’t that what all of you want? Listen up, T. I’m not a baby. Whether you know this or not, guys flirt with me everywhere, all the time,” Janae began.

“Okay,” he said slowly. She was a pretty little thing, he thought and she always had lots of boyfriends. The problem was, he wasn’t used to actually seeing Janae get macked on and something in him just didn’t like it…he didn’t like it one bit. .

“And when the flirting gets a little too out of hand, I know how to deal with them. I’ve dealt with jerks, assholes, shit heads, creeps…,” she said as Taylor interrupted her.

“Alright, I get the picture, lil bit…damn,” Taylor said as he stopped at another red light.

Janae sighed. “I just want you to realize that I can handle myself, in any situation, thanks to Tav and Cam. Just a few nights ago, you were telling Cam that I have to learn how to deal with jerks and he won’t be able to protect me forever. The same goes for you.”

Taylor gave her that gorgeous grin of his. “I only said that to get my overly protective brother off of your back. You can’t apply that to me or this situation. I wasn’t letting that slide. My creep radar was on high the minute he stepped to you. Janae, I’m a man…I know what I saw in that dude’s eyes. That guy told me that he wanted you to call him daddy because you were sooo hot. He wanted a nice little slice of your pie and he looked like he would do what he had to do to get it, if you know what I mean. I’m sorry if you think I overreacted, but he looked a little too close to you and his hands were on you. Furthermore, I’m not going to apologize for looking out for you. That’s just what I do.”

There was only comfortable silence and the low hum of Jay-Z’s “The BluePrint” in the car. Janae smiled and looked over at Taylor who’s eyes were concentrating on the road. He was so fine, she thought and maybe he was beginning to realize that she wasn’t so little anymore. One could only hope, Janae thought as Taylor pulled in front of her building five minutes later. He cut off the engine and looked over at Janae, who broke the silence.

“Well, I guess we can agree to disagree,” Janae said as he laughed.

“Don’t we always?” Taylor asked.

“Yeah. I do appreciate it T, but I’m an adult,” Janae said as he looked at her. She was too cute, he thought as he laughed.

“You’ve only been 18 a few months…just because you’re an adult in the eyes of the law does not mean that you truly are. You still have a lot of growing up to do. Enjoy it,” he replied as he looked at her with that familiar hazel eyed gaze.

“Says the man who still plays video games,” Janae said as he smiled.

“Hey, video games are no longer for kids…and that’s all I’m going to say,” Taylor answered as Janae put her hand on the door handle.

“Wow, that’s a shocker…you not saying anything else,” Janae said as she smiled to herself. She leaned over and kissed Taylor on the cheek.

“Ha ha,” he said as she pulled on the door handle and opened the car door.

“Thanks for the ride, T. I’ll see you later. Goodnight,” she replied as she climbed out of the car.

“Goodnight, Nay,” he responded as she walked into the building. The security guard was there, but Taylor waited until he saw her get on the elevator before he drove off. He smiled to himself as he thought about Janae. She had kissed him like that before, but this time, he noticed how soft and full her lips were. He pulled off and began to drive…destination…his apartment…with soft lips on his mind.